hulika

Author Topic: The Free Plug Ins and Soundfonts Thread  (Read 163472 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins and Soundfonts Thread
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:47:02 PM »
Believe it or not, these are real plugins:

Downloadable from here: http://www.pxe.buntweb.de/

UPDATE: I've decided to make this a sticky so that it won't inadvertently get buried. Please feel free to add to this growing list.

I've also added soundfonts because these are additional sounds that everyone can use.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:13:02 PM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
thanks and what a great find... kulang na lang ilagay yung boss logo..

this is my first post.  

its great that i've found this forum and i'm here to stay and be educated by
your postings KitC.

seems nothing much was happening at the yxxxxxxx forums.....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 04:41:43 PM »
Thanks, 3650guy! I'm of the opinion that knowledge unshared is the personification of greed.

Other great freeware sites:

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/
http://www.voxengo.com/group/freevst/#VoxengoSPANVST

free vst softsynths:

http://www.rocketloop.com/index.php?search_str=&show_cat=&os=&page=1

and a favorite of mine: Dasample Glaceverb.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
Kit, do the boss type plugs sound liek real boss units? i love the boss chorus pedal.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:12:34 PM »
Quote from: starfugger
Kit, do the boss type plugs sound liek real boss units? i love the boss chorus pedal.

I just discovered the site myself! In any event, I think we'll find differences between hardware and software. Seeing as this is free, I wouldn't exactly say they nailed the sound although a lot of free plugs I've tried come frighteningly close to the hardware they emulate.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:07:41 PM »
so my question KitC is,  What is your philosphy on the use of plugins? of course it will depend on the recorded content,  but do you rely on a set of
tried and tested plugins in your arsenal for safety or you do experiment?
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
I sometimes rely on word of mouth from others who have used a particular plugin. Often I will see links in mags or sites and I will use them if I think I need them.

Do I experiment? A LOT. Time unfortunately prohibits me from indulging in my favorite pastime which is trying out the myriads of analog emulation synthesizers I have already downloaded. It's getting that it can take Cubase a long time to load; I often have to remove stuff that I don't use.

EDIT: typo.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 11:17:29 PM »
so when you launch cubase, all registered plugins are also loaded?  whether
you are starting from scratch or not?  or only if the plugin are associated with
a particular project?   btw i'm not familiar with cubase....  but the time warp funtion is really a great feature.... worth migrating to he he....

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 11:53:23 PM »
Quote from: 3650guy
so when you launch cubase, all registered plugins are also loaded?  whether you are starting from scratch or not? or only if the plugin are associated with a particular project?

Not loaded. More like scanned. It gets worse if you have sample based synths with big libraries. No big trouble, though; Cubase still loads in less than a minute.

The plugin will load only when it is part of a project; sometimes a hassle when I'm loading a big soundset for my EmuX.

btw i'm not familiar with cubase....  but the time warp funtion is really a great feature.... worth migrating to he he....

It's great when you want to match an audio file to a grid... although I've grown rather adept at doing the same (tempo matching) in Sonar.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 12:58:06 AM »
Quote from: KitC

It's great when you want to match an audio file to a grid... although I've grown rather adept at doing the same (tempo matching) in Sonar.

and this would be the trial and error method of drawing  tempo changes per bar right?  so how precise can you draw it?  right down to the downbeat? this should easy when time warping because you just move the line to where you think the downbeats are (waveform) right?.....

anyway this method was shown to me by a friend who used to realign an entire song via the draw tempo method.... when he found out that it was
easier to time warp, boy was he able to do a lot more projects.....  not that i've tried it.... cubase is a whole new ballgame to me..... its a relearning thing
all over again

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 01:15:09 AM »

and this would be the trial and error method of drawing  tempo changes per bar right?  so how precise can you draw it?  right down to the downbeat?

The trick with Sonar is to right click on the wav and use the "Set Snap Offset to Now Time". That's almost the equivalent of the Q hitpoint is Cubase (can't seem to find that in the SL/SX version - it was easy to find in VST 32). I just drag the downbeat to a barline, use snap offset, then insert tempo changes either at each measure or every 2 measures - no trial and error, I can estimate tempo just by looking at the next downbeat in relation to the next barline. I even do decelerandos and accelerandos with this method. You can easily tell if a song was sequenced, you only have to set the tempo once.

The time warp feature in Cubase is almost indispensable if you're beat matching a rubato performance... I've been known to insert tempo changes every 1/16th note. If there's one thing I like about Cubase, is that it's tempo is accurate to 3 decimal places.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 01:54:53 AM »
okay, that was very presumptious of me - and my apologies.  your reply was food for thought....    which i will digest.....

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 02:04:46 AM »
okay, that was very presumptious of me - and my apologies.  your reply was food for thought....    which i will digest.....

Accepted, though not really needed. Life's experiences have afforded me a thick skin and I don't bruise easy. (bitemarks, however, are another problem... :wink:  )

Another secret to Sonar? Keybindings. FYI: You can use the same key commands in Sonar with Cubase, you just have to dig a bit in Cubase's preferences. It's one of the reasons I switch easily between the 2 programs.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 05:09:45 AM »
My Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde works much better.  ;)  As for Reverb and EQ, I am happy enough with TC Works and Waves.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 11:59:06 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
My Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde works much better.  ;)  As for Reverb and EQ, I am happy enough with TC Works and Waves.

Jekyll and Hyde - $139
TC Electronic Powercore PCI - $599 plugins start at $199
TC Works Compressor and Mastering EQ - included in Sonar 2XL package (if you have Sonar 2)
Waves Platinum Native Bundle - $1,599 other waves products are usually in the 4 digit range.

If these work for you, fine. It only tells me you got deep pockets. This thread was meant for Free Plugins that especially work good.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46:32 AM »

Jekyll and Hyde - $139
TC Works Compressor and Mastering EQ - included in Sonar 2XL package (if you have Sonar 2)
Waves Platinum Native Bundle - $1,599 other waves products are usually in the 4 digit range.

If these work for you, fine. It only tells me you got deep pockets. This thread was meant for Free Plugins that especially work good.

O tige na po.  Just kidding here.  Got Waves with a card I bought as a special throw-in.  And if you get a Music Tech magazine you normally get a free DVD with a bunch of software.  

Anyway, maybe you like to add this:

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 03:39:32 AM »
In a recent issue of Computer Music, they gave away Wusikstation V.1 (a $99 download) for 'free' -I had my sis buy that issue in NY nung nalaman ko. Some local magazine stands stock CM, FM and SoS which usually come with CD's/DVDs; FM especially has a habit of including license-free samples.

Those lucky enough to go to Musik Messe, the German Keys magazine recently included a free version of Samplitude with its March 29 edition.

Of course, one of the great repositories of plugins: www.kvraudio.com

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »
Silverspike downloads.

The RubyTube and RoomMachine 844 are recommended and the TapeIt plug is for those who haven't come to grips with in-the-box rendering or their software host doesn't support it.

And who can forget Green Oak's Crystal? I've used this one extensively and yet I've only scratched the surface of what it can do.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 02:03:56 PM »
More Free synths. Cygnus has especially been recommended by the guys at KvR.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 02:12:59 PM »
thanks and just keep them coming.  we are all the happy recipients of your
'net trawling..

off topic question of the day :

who cloned who.  maksim or keith emerson?

if it  doesnt make sense nevermind.  he he

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 02:37:58 PM »
How about  200 mb drumset then? The Natural Studio ns7_kit free. I'm currently using the soundfont version with rgcaudio's sfz free soundfont player - easily bypasses most 'blasters 64 mb ram limitation. I also downloaded the giga version just to see how well EmulatorX can translate the format... maybe later, the sfz version works fine. :D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 09:00:36 PM »

Jekyll and Hyde - $139

O tige na po.  Just kidding here.  Got Waves with a card I bought as a special throw-in.  And if you get a Music Tech magazine you normally get a free DVD with a bunch of software.  

Waves Platinum was thrown in with a card? Which card was this? That is one helluva big freebie! If I knew about that I wouldn't have bought my Platinum bundle as a standalone package had I know it would available in a cheaper package.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
SSL anyone?
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 06:36:05 PM »
found this while googling about SSL modules, a free SSL plug in!  to download, click on "add to cart", "check out", then "create account", provide the necessary info (sign-up). if this returns an error message you're still good as long as you get the notification email from SSL. repeat the process, this time instead of clicking "create an account" just sign in using the account you created.  click on "confirm order" and voila:

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/resources/lmc1plugin.html
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 02:01:18 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson

Jekyll and Hyde - $139

Waves Platinum was thrown in with a card? Which card was this? That is one helluva big freebie! If I knew about that I wouldn't have bought my Platinum bundle as a standalone package had I know it would available in a cheaper package.

Abyss,  2nd hand Lexicon card with free Waves Platinum.  Not really a bundle.  Bale package deal.

Offline mariuo

The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 08:52:46 AM »
any rtas? :D