hulika

Author Topic: The Fletcher-Munson Effect (& why the big divide among guitar modellers vs.amps)  (Read 29351 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Fletcher-Munson Effect (& why the big divide among guitar modellers vs.a
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »
you can google all your life and quote all the text book in the world still nothing can change everyone's opinion,and stop using the words"everyones missing the point",Its malignantly annoying.
Then you better stop reading.

When I was learning Clapton and heard about the Layla sessions and the famous pignose amp,I was flabberghasted.Ikaw na suppose to be some kinda sound engineer or whatever was totally oblivious about it.  Dapat that event was suppose to be in every sound engineer's bingo book.
Now this is ridiculous. You don't need to tell me what Clapton or Duane or some emo gayfag used in the studio to get his tone because I know for a fact that guitarplayers, (especially the rich and famous ones with much gear at their disposal), have a wider tone palette hence they have more options for a recording session.  Tom Scholz even used this DI guitar principle with Boston way way back before digital modelling.  You've got a selection of loud amps, soft amps, big and small, with different timbres.  Now, what is the thing that modellers cannot do?  APPRECIATE THE DIFFERENT VOLUME LEVELS IN THAT HUGE PALETTE.  Now if that doesn't matter to the artist then good for him.  But that doesn't mean you should ditch amps for a recording.

Marami pang palay...
Whoa thank you Mr. Know-it-all.  Next time I seek recording advice I'll call you.  Lahat tayo marami pang palay...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Fletcher-Munson Effect (& why the big divide among guitar modellers vs.a
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »
thats a nice family pic hahaha daughter staring at dad?thanks for sharing

WELL THAT'S BELOW THE BELT.  DON'T YOU EVER SAY A MORONIC STATEMENT ABOUT MY FAMILY YOU IDIOT.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »
Hold the flames and settle the heat over PM!

What Skunk's not pointing at is:

POD < AMP

He's just saying:

POD ≠ AMP

which I think everyone agrees to. Skunk attributes the difference (or some of it) to FM, which Skunk is emphasizing application on the tracking part of the recording activity.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
Whoa thank you Mr. Know-it-all.  Next time I seek recording advice I'll call you.  Lahat tayo marami pang palay...

You are welcome,dont you have clients to attend to so u could apply what uv learned from me rather than sit and waste yer time googling?Business must be good huh,excuse myself while i noodle with my precious POD,har har har

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
You are welcome,dont you have clients to attend to so u could apply what uv learned from me rather than sit and waste yer time googling?Business must be good huh,excuse myself while i noodle with my precious POD,har har har

It's none of your business if I wanna slack off or spend only 2 hours of sleep in a day for recording.   After all you're not the one who's supposed to pay my bills. You megalomaniac. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:29:31 PM by skunkyfunk »

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »
WELL THAT'S BELOW THE BELT.  DON'T YOU EVER SAY A MORONIC STATEMENT ABOUT MY FAMILY YOU IDIOT.
Whats wrong with the picture,u look good naman ahh,napipikon ka na ba?Is that the best u can do?Call me idiot?Hahahaha what a lamer,keep em comin Einstein

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »
It's none of your business if I wanna slack off or spend only 2 hours of sleep in a day for recording.   After all you're not the one who's supposed to pay my bills. You megalomaniac. 
wow na google mo din ba ang word na megalomaniac.....sge pa more more!hahahah

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »
wow na google mo din ba ang word na megalomaniac.....sge pa more more!hahahah

Dude, it appears you're the one who has a problem.  Philmusic is an outlet of mine and not my life.  Moreso attending to your pissings are not why I came to this forum.  Bahala na Diyos sa iyo dahi upakan mo na ako huwag lang pamilya ko.  Bakit guwapo ka ba?  Maganda ba asawa mo?  Maganda ba mga anak mo? 

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »
Hold the flames and settle the heat over PM!

What Skunk's not pointing at is:

POD < AMP

He's just saying:

POD ≠ AMP

which I think everyone agrees to. Skunk attributes the difference (or some of it) to FM, which Skunk is emphasizing application on the tracking part of the recording activity.

Well, at least what I've learned is that for some the difference doesn't matter. 

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »
Dude, it appears you're the one who has a problem.  Philmusic is an outlet of mine and not my life.  Moreso attending to your pissings are not why I came to this forum.  Bahala na Diyos sa iyo dahi upakan mo na ako huwag lang pamilya ko.  Bakit guwapo ka ba?  Maganda ba asawa mo?  Maganda ba mga anak mo? 
Answer to all your questions?YEAH BABY

bakit inano ko pamilya mo,It was intended for you,all you,remember this thread is yours,all the glory and praises,
on the contrary ang ganda nga ng anak mo.Sana nag mana ka sa kanya,then u got it all!

And to answer all your questions?Freakin YEAH
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:39:51 PM by alroyT »

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
Lessoned learned,defense is the best offense,thanks for the troll thingy,it back fired huh

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Answer to all your questions?YEAH BABY

bakit inano ko pamilya mo,It was intended for you,all you,remember this thread is yours,all the glory and praises,
on the contrary ang ganda nga ng anak mo.Sana nag mana ka sa kanya,then u got it all!

And to answer all your questions?Freakin YEAH

So now we have a self-confessed narcissist.  Don't ever mention my family needlessly because I swear to God I'll wish your ass be kicked.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
Lessoned learned,defense is the best offense,thanks for the troll thingy,it back fired huh

Why, aren't you trolling?  Trolling is an act hijo.  At first you were bordering on irrelevance.  And it appeared that you were already picking on me, hence the troll pic.  But that had nothing to do with how you look (uy pogi daw siya) so now what you do is say it is a family pic of ours.

Oh btw, my son is guwapo.  My wife is pretty. 

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
still spewing nonsense to the bitter end,ur posting of troll is not out of the ordinary,its parallel to all your nonsense posting here,a waste of bandwith.My job here is done for now,asta manana

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
This is getting ridiculous! First flames and now personal attacks and insults. Chill people!

Dodj, you like tube amps and big cabs, and we appreciate your preference for those equipment. I like a good tube amp as much as anyone else and when an amp is incapable of making me hear what I need to hear during a performance, I tend to play less inspired... (expired would be a better term in some cases). Point is, WE UNDERSTAND YOU. You would get less flames if you extend the same degree of understanding to others, and maybe even appreciate their efforts.

Now, there is no need to point out that one technology is better than the other because it's all relative. Even at times, it's all inter-related. Both digital and analog have their advantages and disadvantages. Tubes and analog may be better for some while simulations may be better in other instances. As recordists, we should put aside our preferences and try to get the best tone with what is presented to us by our clients. If we can't do it, then we give it to someone who can.

The F-M curves have a direct bearing on volume. Our ears are more sensitive to frequencies from 1 to 6 khz, which is where intelligibility lies. The loudness switch or setting on some hifi systems are an attempt to compensate for the perceived loss of low and high frequencies during low volume settings. At lower volumes, we tend to hear less of the other frequencies so we often compensate by putting the familiar smiley curve on most graphic eq's, or we engage the loudness switch.

So where does the F-M curve fit in all of this? Practically, it doesn't if you are miking up a cab since what will matter is the type of mic and the position you are putting it in - a mic has no F-M curve, but it does have a frequency response curve. How about amp sims? Again, it doesn't matter since at what point in an ampsim will the F-M curves matter? Only at the monitors and to the guy listening at the mixing position.

So how about guitarists? Again, this is relative because sound levels decrease exponentially in proportion to the distance from the source. Not only that but there is also the approx 1 ms delay for every foot of distance one is from a cabinet. After that, there is the interplay of sound from wall and floor reflections as well as the interaction of frequencies (subtle comb filtering). By close miking a cab, you tend to capture differently from what a guitarist is hearing, or to be exact, what a guitarist perceives to be hearing. Miking techniques have been developed in an attempt to capture every possible nuance from the guitarists position but often this is impractical in most recording situations.

Amp sims attempt to recreate the interaction of sound waves by including cabinet simulations as well. They can also simulate mic placement as well as add room interaction. If one is really anal, add convolution to the mix by getting an impulse sample of your favorite room, mic and amp. Will it sound close? While it won't be exact, some simulations definitely come unnervingly close.

About not getting the point with regards to using practice amps? Those little monsters will tend to distort earlier than larger powered amps and cabs especially when played loud. It is this characteristic that inspires some people to be creative. You have to be quick to recognize that trait when an artist insists on using his particular gear. Like I said earlier, you can always massage a tone later, especially if you keep that option open to you.

As for feeling the air being pushed? Remember that one starts 'feeling' sound at 80 hz and below, something which most guitars and amps are inefficient at producing, unless we're taking about bass guitars, bass cabs and subwoofers, but these are only good up to maybe 40 hz tops.

So... are we all sufficiently chilled now? Breathe deeply, people! Your hearts, your hearts! Feel the love....

While I should be locking this thread, I hope we can get back to some semblance of sanity and try to maintain some civility. AlroyT and skunk, I hope you can edit your posts now. I will remove this paragraph once that is done.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »
still spewing nonsense to the bitter end,ur posting of troll is not out of the ordinary,its parallel to all your nonsense posting here,a waste of bandwith.My job here is done for now,asta manana

So now you're making a generalization that my posts are nonsense.  Information makes sense if and only if we embrace it as useful.  And from person-to-person, that can be subjective.  Thanks for your glorifying yourself and speaking for everyone.

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
Thanks KitC for explaining the science of the fm,somehow it sank in me.Though I have to dissect every word when some people try to explain it.But in this case Kit save your energy,may nakahjandang sagot na yang kabila,naka template na ang sagot even b4 u respond.I didnt call names to this guy,I would never stoop down,he even used his family to give him the leverage he needs to curse at me.Hahaha Im literally on the floor laughing my ass out.If you KitC will ask me to apologise to him i'll do it.Will i feel really sorry?probably.I wont even ask him to apologize to me for cursing me many times,hindi ako naapektuhan,hindi ako pikon.

By the way Kit thanks naka pag burn na ako ng projects ko i just have to roll back my media player driver w/ your suggestion.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »
By the way Kit thanks naka pag burn na ako ng projects ko i just have to roll back my media player driver w/ your suggestion.

Much obliged, AlroyT! I'm always here to help.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »
Dodj, you like tube amps and big cabs, and we appreciate your preference for those equipment. I like a good tube amp as much as anyone else and when an amp is incapable of making me hear what I need to hear during a performance, I tend to play less inspired... (expired would be a better term in some cases). Point is, WE UNDERSTAND YOU. You would get less flames if you extend the same degree of understanding to others, and maybe even appreciate their efforts.
Thank you sir.

Now, there is no need to point out that one technology is better than the other because it's all relative. Even at times, it's all inter-related. Both digital and analog have their advantages and disadvantages. Tubes and analog may be better for some while simulations may be better in other instances. As recordists, we should put aside our preferences and try to get the best tone with what is presented to us by our clients. If we can't do it, then we give it to someone who can.
While I said before that nothing beats miking up amps, people perceived that as being anti-POD, anti-GT8, anti-whatever that doesn't require miking.  All I said before was that the "experience" of tracking with real amps can affect one's inspiration.  While it is true that we set aside our own preferences, I believe that my  goal here is to tap into the artist's preferences, not mine.  Hence the mastering thread.  A lot did not like the drum sounds.  I had my own interpretation of the mix which the band did not like.  They chose the least punchy drums-version mix.  Was that my call?  It was the artist's.  This is the very same procedure I do with all of my artists, but I would be honest enough to tell you that sometimes I don't like shortcuts.  "Tone-chasing" for a lack of a better term.  I really am not into the "preset" method of things because working with an artist requires attention to detail, which in some cases, shortcuts miss out.  And normally, "shortcuts" are a product of new technology.

I am, and never was a technophobe.  And you're right, new and old technology are even interrelated.  And that interrelation is what confuses most people most of the time.  Some people think "Wow, ang ganda pala ng tunog ng Vox AC30" and when you ask them, "saan ka nakasubok?".  Ang sagot, "Sa POD!"  Same thing for drum-triggering versus mixing realtime miked-up drums, and stuff like that.

The F-M curves have a direct bearing on volume. Our ears are more sensitive to frequencies from 1 to 6 khz, which is where intelligibility lies. The loudness switch or setting on some hifi systems are an attempt to compensate for the perceived loss of low and high frequencies during low volume settings. At lower volumes, we tend to hear less of the other frequencies so we often compensate by putting the familiar smiley curve on most graphic eq's, or we engage the loudness switch.

So where does the F-M curve fit in all of this? Practically, it doesn't if you are miking up a cab since what will matter is the type of mic and the position you are putting it in - a mic has no F-M curve, but it does have a frequency response curve. How about amp sims? Again, it doesn't matter since at what point in an ampsim will the F-M curves matter? Only at the monitors and to the guy listening at the mixing position.
Sir, what I was saying that the FM phenomenon is manifested well if you work with different models of amps.  Unfortunately, the "produced sound" captured by the mics, preamps, whatever has nothing to do with this, only that DURING the tracking process, a guitarplayer might feel that his amp dimed to 10 inspires him to play compared to say, a PODXT patch through a monitor with 5" woofers, especially if the guy loves to play beside the amp.

So how about guitarists? Again, this is relative because sound levels decrease exponentially in proportion to the distance from the source. Not only that but there is also the approx 1 ms delay for every foot of distance one is from a cabinet. After that, there is the interplay of sound from wall and floor reflections as well as the interaction of frequencies (subtle comb filtering). By close miking a cab, you tend to capture differently from what a guitarist is hearing, or to be exact, what a guitarist perceives to be hearing. Miking techniques have been developed in an attempt to capture every possible nuance from the guitarists position but often this is impractical in most recording situations.
One major question is, are we supposed to be for ACCURATE SOUND REPRODUCTION, or PRODUCED-SOUNDS?  Example.  Say I had a vintage Slingerland Drum Kit.  Should my goal be recording the kit as if the kit were right in front of me?  10 feet from me? Or should we tailor the individual sounds of each drum so we can make it sound like that of tunes heard in heavy metal recordings?  It's all about production values, and what the producer wants. 

Same thing goes for guitarists.  Whenever a guitarplayer wants his amp miked, initially your goal might be to accurately reproduce the sound..  But in some cases, the engineer may need to boost a little treble post mic preamp to compensate for the mix.  But that does not mean he is altering the voice of the amp.  But why do I think the loudness or ground-shaking matters to the guitarplayer?  Because that might be what he's accustomed to when he plays live, or at home.  And I call that - motivation, which is a major ingredient in recording.

Amp sims attempt to recreate the interaction of sound waves by including cabinet simulations as well. They can also simulate mic placement as well as add room interaction. If one is really anal, add convolution to the mix by getting an impulse sample of your favorite room, mic and amp. Will it sound close? While it won't be exact, some simulations definitely come unnervingly close.
Some people claim they are accurate, some say the difference is night and day, AMPS vs. AMPSIMS that is.  But what we cannot take out of the equation is that the person recording must find what inspires him the most, whether it is  a POD or an amp.

About not getting the point with regards to using practice amps? Those little monsters will tend to distort earlier than larger powered amps and cabs especially when played loud. It is this characteristic that inspires some people to be creative. You have to be quick to recognize that trait when an artist insists on using his particular gear. Like I said earlier, you can always massage a tone later, especially if you keep that option open to you.
I prefer both loud and soft amps.  But mind you, I still find 15W tube amps loud. 

As for feeling the air being pushed? Remember that one starts 'feeling' sound at 80 hz and below, something which most guitars and amps are inefficient at producing, unless we're taking about bass guitars, bass cabs and subwoofers, but these are only good up to maybe 40 hz tops.
I wonder, it must be the ground shaking that inspires me sometimes.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
Hahaha Im literally on the floor laughing my ass out.If you KitC will ask me to apologise to him i'll do it.Will i feel really sorry?probably.I wont even ask him to apologize to me for cursing me many times,hindi ako naapektuhan,hindi ako pikon.

Hmmm. Just goes to show your intentions.  Relentless.  Well, you do not need Kit to tell you if you need to apologize as if he's your moral counselor or what  because you yourself should know that.  And when did I curse you?  If you can point me at one incident where I picked on you without reason then tell me. 

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
guys thanks for the pms u sent,u can transfer the money to my bank account now  :wink:

Offline smashing_kalabasa

• Netizen Level
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »
hi, interesting thread.. i'm no techie, but here's my 2 cents anyway..

guitar modelers i.e pod and the likes, well, i like them..i'm not saying they are the shiat but
it is quite useful when you want to get different amp feel and tone sans the cost of buying
different amps just to get the tone you like..the point is that the thread starter is missing
is that the variety of sound you can get in a snap surely beats the crap of having to bring
a bunch of amps doing what the purists do, man, who doesn't want that earth shaking
sound you are preaching, if i can concoct a graham coxon inspired bluesy tremolo sound
on the pod, then i'm good. at least i don't have rent or buy the real thing man... BUT, definitely,
i will bring in my miked sound comfortably juxtaposed with "modeled" gtr tracks..

There are times i use both modeled and miked tracks on low gain crunch settings, frankly,
sometimes i can't hear the difference. it's just the way it is bro, technology will catch up
just like you dont need to use typewriters.

Summary? parehong may gamit yan, nasa tenga nalang yan..nsa tunog din ng gitara mo,
nasa attack mo, nasa flavor mo ma gitara..that to me is more important...

kung may tenga ka, may tenga ka..=) cheers

-Terence
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:55:14 PM by smashing_kalabasa »
you are turning into something you are not
- thom york

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 08:48:39 PM »
guys thanks for the pms u sent,u can transfer the money to my bank account now  :wink:

:-o ba't ikaw lang?  <just kidding> :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice post, Terence.

In the interest of garnering more opinions, I will keep this thread open. Knowledge, if used wisely, can be a beautiful thing.

Offline smashing_kalabasa

• Netizen Level
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 09:19:33 PM »
thanks kitC , i think i'll be passing by this part of this forum more often, ayoko na sa classifieds, gastric, hehehe
its nice to see people so passionate about their craft, pero peace lang tayo... masaya panoorin mga flamers hahaha
pero chill muna tayo hehehe

you are turning into something you are not
- thom york

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
i did try to address the fletcher-munson effect and why amps sound different than pods (and how this can be circumvented by an experienced engineer) but no one was paying attention.  maybe trolling was the better option   :evil:

seriously though,  want the fletcher munson effect out the window?  lower your volume, twist that knob. 

ibang kwento na pag gig dahil kailangan talaga malakas ang mga amps.  recording wise, we hardly playback at ungodly levels naman so what's the point?

what im saying is hindi naman malaking problema talaga ang fletcher munson effect when a/b'ing between amp simps and real amps. 

again, for the record, the only amp sim i seemed to like was the POD XT.  it was definitely more convincing than its software counterparts.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744