hulika

Author Topic: New Filipino Musician Social Site  (Read 2750 times)

Offline x_japan

New Filipino Musician Social Site
« on: June 05, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
Hello, my name is G.

Before anything else: I need help and I don't know where else to post this. I respect the community here and Philmusic, though I believe that we need an upgrade to help more musicians in this country where we only have each other. A bit dramatic as it may sound, it's true for me.

So here is what's happening. I am in the process of creating a social site for Pinoy musikeros and is currently looking for input from other people.

I'm looking for the following:

1) Beta-testers and possibly future moderators.
2) Last but not least, I am also looking for PHP capable web developers to help for the customization of the site.

CURRENT FEATURES

User Profile: Profiles include soundcloud and youtube widgets to promote their music. Profile also include profile fields of musical backgrounds that may be useful for musicians looking for band members

Activity Wall: Simple activity wall where you can post photos, or even upload mp3 files which can be played on user and public activity walls. Still unsure if this will be a good decision since media files are big and if the server can't handle the load, the site would need an upgrade to a more expensive server; if this happens I may need some financial help or maybe i could monetize some features like featured advertising.)

Private Messaging:
Simple private messaging feature like mailbox.

Chat:
A simple global chat. Does not work like Facebook Messenger. I deliberately chose it to be a global chat so people would still use the forums and mailbox messaging.

Forum:

Groups: Works like Facebook groups. Can be used as groups for projects, bands, genre based groups or instrument based groups.

Friends Adding friends

Projects (This works like a facility for collaborative works. Can also be used for creating a project band or production project. This works in tandem with Groups feature)

Directory: This feature I think is the most useful. This is an interactive directory (Google Map with icons) to be filled by users with places and reviews, including phone numbers and photos. A map of Rehearsal and Recording Studios, Custom & Repair Shops, Music Stores, Bars etc.

Events Calendar: For gigs and other musical events. Currently the admin is the only capable of adding events but I'm working out how users can add their own events in the calendar widget so every user can promote their gigs.

Blog: A blog for the site. Maybe I'll need writers too to cover some news about important music events, clinics, concerts etc.

Polls: A simple poll.

User Classified Ads: Off course. Selling and trading of new and used gears.

Shop: A simple online store for the site.

Once the site is fully working, this is the next milestone. In tandem with the social site, I plan to create an online shop of every music brand of every product like lazada. This requires business permit registrations and connecting to direct suppliers if possible. Connecting to direct suppliers is very important since malls and physical stores have high rents; store-owners have no choice to put the weight to us consumers; prices are high so most of us resort buying cheap china products. If successful, the products will be cheaper than what you see on most stores since the online shop will not require rental space. If not, still an online shop would be convenient.

Credits/Points: Users receive points for site activities (poll votes, posts, forum replies, etc) Points can be exchanged for SHOP items.

Other Useful Features:

BADGES: Profile Badges for achievements

TAGGING: User can mention other users using @(name of user) just like FB

COMPLIMENTS: User can send "Compliments" to other users. Compliments are displayed on their profile. I see this useful like sending a compliment "Trusted Dealer" to boost ones credibility. Compliments can be tailored to our needs. Suggestions are welcome.

The site is a free membership site and I've spent months of planning and putting it all together and also a bit of money for web-hosting.

The domain I want is "musikero.ph" though I haven't bought the domain yet because I thought that some suggestions here might be better. So don't bother typing in musikero.ph. I am using a temporary domain to develop the site. At this stage, I will only provide access to interested people.

Donations are very welcome. Some features require money and if this is going to be a full social site, again... the site needs a high speed server. Could be a 20$/month Hostgator webserver - well at least I hope it can handle the site once it grows. Worst case scenario is a dedicated server which is a 160$/month basic dedicated server.

If anyone here could also help access or contacts of direct suppliers of branded musical products, that would be a great help.

In return of all this requests, I would dedicate a page for the people who will be part of this. I can only offer my time and little knowledge in developing sites. Thank you!

See pics. The site also has no logo yet and even the color theme isn't final, so designs are welcome too. A simple and minimalist design would do.

Thank you for reading this.

If you are interested to help post a comment below.

DASHBOARD

ACTIVITY WALL

GROUPS

FORUMS

EVENTS
Upcoming Events View

Calendar View

CLASSIFIEDS

DIRECTORY

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:16:19 PM by x_japan »

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: New Filipino Musician Social Site
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
good concept to create a network for aspiring and pro musicians. is this also accessible for music fans?
I turn myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline x_japan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »
Thanks marzi. To view pages they must register as a member although most features are only useful to musicians. Is there a certain feature you would like to suggest for fans?

Online robinonibor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »
interesting  :-D
if there's anyway I could help, let me know.
Fullstack Dev here  :-D

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »
very nice! it seems you also made it responsive aswell seeing your usage of the navigational drawer (sidepanel).

im a ux/usability professional.

imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline Fledwor

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »
Up
At sana maayos na bansa natin

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
Thanks marzi. To view pages they must register as a member although most features are only useful to musicians. Is there a certain feature you would like to suggest for fans?

just the basic ones, i guess. sign up as a fanatic - follow musicians - post stuff - messaging - etc.

are badges really necessary?

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline x_japan

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
I see, I think we can do that for fans. Thanks for the input. About the badges; a badge is an indicator of an accomplishment, skill or quality. I think it could be useful but we'll see. If it's not we'll turn it off.

Offline x_japan

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »
interesting  :-D
if there's anyway I could help, let me know.
Fullstack Dev here  :-D

Great! A DEV! You can help by testing the site as a member. Test features, Suggest some edits etc.

Offline x_japan

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »
very nice! it seems you also made it responsive aswell seeing your usage of the navigational drawer (sidepanel).

im a ux/usability professional.

Thanks! well I don't want to take full credit. It's the theme which made it responsive. If you have time, kindly test the site for usability and design. Thanks!

Online xaeroblade

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
Interesting. I could help with moderating in the future if needed.
Bands: Project:Materia and

Offline x_japan

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
Interesting. I could help with moderating in the future if needed.

Thanks xaeroblade, I'll pm you the temporary domain link.

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »
good concept to create a network for aspiring and pro musicians. is this also accessible for music fans?
++1 to this, ill totally leave facebook if this will snowball into a musicians/fans thing, with a lot of music/video sharing capabilities.
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline brighteyesbayside

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
always wanted to find out news about music, especially for the local scene. which is hard unless you know people.

im talking about the news feature side, specifically like in www.sputnikmusic.com

i think it'd be good, if there becomes a unifying open-source exchange of news and events for Philippine music
made an excel program to find the keys to a scale, and where to find them in a guitar's fretboard. It's a lot of fun! >>> http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=264555.0

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
Interesting! Can't wait for this  :cute:
references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »

wait mode....
Set your mindset to what you need instead of what you want

Online xaeroblade

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »
always wanted to find out news about music, especially for the local scene. which is hard unless you know people.

im talking about the news feature side, specifically like in www.sputnikmusic.com

i think it'd be good, if there becomes a unifying open-source exchange of news and events for Philippine music

PULP used to be updated with almost every local gig, same goes with the Rakista site. And it would be nice if all genres would be covered as well. Nowadays some groups/blogs mostly feature the indie or mainstream artists, but as for those in metal, punk, prog...RARE.

Offline x_japan

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »

I see. I checked the site. Luckily, we have a blog although we would need writers. If you know someone or if you are interested to be an author
in the site just pm me.

If you notice, the site has a lot of features that are user content based (e.g. places listing, ads, forums, blog). The blog alone would need several authors specializing in each genre.
So I really need some help. I hope there are writers here who might be interested. So to anyone who's reading this; as long as you can tell a story, updated in the local scene pm me.

Offline x_japan

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »
PULP used to be updated with almost every local gig, same goes with the Rakista site. And it would be nice if all genres would be covered as well. Nowadays some groups/blogs mostly feature the indie or mainstream artists, but as for those in metal, punk, prog...RARE.

I agree with you. All genres should be covered. Especially punk, metal, prog and even the J-rock local scene. It would attract and engage users who are interested in their respective genres.

Online xaeroblade

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
As of the moment I'm in the jrock and metal scene. Got a lot of friends from the pretty much all over the place as well. If I got a notification of a gig, especially if I'm going to one. Might as well write something about it and include some pictures which I practically do almost every time I go to a gig.

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
waiting to see what this is all about
shinkan / urusai / bulagta / slash n burn / laura

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »
Thanks! well I don't want to take full credit. It's the theme which made it responsive. If you have time, kindly test the site for usability and design. Thanks!

ill be sending you some recommendations soon  :wink:
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:16 AM »
hah! a notification system from the bands/artists that you are following/liked would be really useful.

say you are a fan of this band, it is a MUST that all their gigs/events should be popping up somewhere on your page as a notice. it could also be placed in a separate mailbox - mailing list style.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline x_japan

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll check on the group/events feature to make that possible marzi.

Offline x_japan

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »
As of the moment I'm in the jrock and metal scene. Got a lot of friends from the pretty much all over the place as well. If I got a notification of a gig, especially if I'm going to one. Might as well write something about it and include some pictures which I practically do almost every time I go to a gig.

Send some content bro so we could put it out on the blog. Any genre would do.