hulika

Author Topic: 50 Watt 5 Pound Tube Amp  (Read 1839 times)

Offline 24Fret

50 Watt 5 Pound Tube Amp
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »

I think it won't get lighter than this. I guess they used switching power supplies to get away with heavy power transformer.

http://milbert.com/guitar?pg=1

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 50 Watt 5 Pound Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »
impressive! malaking factor ang output transformer sa weight and they eliminated it. gusto ko rin yung easy changing of output tubes and any tube pa so you can experiment w/ different tones. may power pa para sa pedals. lahat yata naisip na nila :D

magkano kaya?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:34 AM »
impressive! malaking factor ang output transformer sa weight and they eliminated it. gusto ko rin yung easy changing of output tubes and any tube pa so you can experiment w/ different tones. may power pa para sa pedals. lahat yata naisip na nila :D

magkano kaya?

Unfortuantely, the output transformer is so important in making a tube amp sound good and is integral to the design of good sounding guitar amps.  So if you eliminate it, you are not much better than a Line 6.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:18 AM »
Unfortuantely, the output transformer is so important in making a tube amp sound good and is integral to the design of good sounding guitar amps.  So if you eliminate it, you are not much better than a Line 6.

Have you tried this amp and heard it for your self?

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
Unfortuantely, the output transformer is so important in making a tube amp sound good and is integral to the design of good sounding guitar amps.  So if you eliminate it, you are not much better than a Line 6.

Technically you are correct -- these are not real tube amps even though they use tubes for both preamp and power amp stages. However, it is not fair to compare them to a line 6 since the latter don't use any tube at all. I believe they are even better than the valvetronix coz they use real power tubes and not a single preamp tube.

Output transformers are heavy and expensive. If most people cannot hear the difference then I would welcome this amp :-)

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »
wow.. very interesting.. so they have this patented impedance converter in order to eliminate the bulky output transformer. kano kaya to, baka sobrang bigat naman ng presyo..  :?
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
wow.. very interesting.. so they have this patented impedance converter in order to eliminate the bulky output transformer. kano kaya to, baka sobrang bigat naman ng presyo..  :?

mahal ang output transformer so this should be less expensive.. i hope :-)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »
Some have expressed dissatisfaction with torroid transformers in tube amp builds and go back to the heavies.  Seems like if you go tube amp, it's a must that you have the beefy trannies.  But if it sounds ok, it will find its niche.  We like our tube hybrids and one-offs that fall within the gray area between SS and tube.. after all.

BTW, slightly OT (pun intended), I saw the Retro-wreck thread on TGP, and looks like they're advancing solid state tech as well.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline derekdecastro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
mahal ang output transformer so this should be less expensive.. i hope :-)

what would make this expensive is its design.. i mean 5 pounds for 50w clean power and 85w of full dirt.. IMO.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
Have you tried this amp and heard it for your self?

Nope but I have always felt that the good sounding amps have output transformers that add grind and dimensionality to the sound.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:25:15 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:26:58 AM »
what would make this expensive is its design.. i mean 5 pounds for 50w clean power and 85w of full dirt.. IMO.
yeah, probably.

nakakagas naman as I browse through their site.  :-o
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline derekdecastro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
yeah, probably.

nakakagas naman as I browse through their site.  :-o

yes.. mukang maganda talaga ehh..

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »
Hurray for technology!

Hope it sounds as good as OT based amps but as of now, the US$2K price tag, I think, will kill it.  There are tons of old-style technology amps out there for that price that is already proven to sound good.  Too bad I can't find demo clips of it yet.

Nonetheless, if his impedance converter works as he promises, more builders would adopt it, prices would start to go down and we can all kiss non-efficient technologies goodbye.  Good not only for the environment but also for our backs as there will be no more heavy heads to lug around!   :-)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 03:00:37 AM »
Nope but I have always felt that the good sounding amps have output transformers that add grind and dimensionality to the sound.

and so did coke(coca cola) used to have small doses of cocaine which people think gave it a good 'flava', but even the current one's are satisfying..

its best to personally try products out there before we start shooting it down..

ot: is lady gaga also affecting amp builders?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:02:02 AM by bryanarzaga »

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »

ot: is lady gaga also affecting amp builders?

hehehe oo nga ano GAGA eh.
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,