hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 310935 times)

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »
Noob question again:
Hindi na ba kailangan ng magandang sound card kung may audio interface?
(is my question correct?  :lol:)
bump my question.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
The audio interface IS the soundcard. The term soundcard is a holdout  from the days of yore when you had to physically install an audio card inside the pc case in order to have audio - at that time, pc's did NOT normally come with any audio capability and you had to install a soundcard (usually a 'blaster) into a free expansion port. Nowadays, motherboards come standard with onboard audio.

The definition of an audio interface is a device that:

a) converts digital data into analog or digital audio that can be amplified or translated by another digital audio device. The former means that the interface outputs electrical audio impulses that can be put through an amp to be heard through headphones, speakers and other PA systems. The latter, digital audio, is a format of audio that requires further conversion from digital to analog so that it can be amplified. While digital audio is still data, it is a different protocol from that of .mp3, .wav, or .aif files. You need an interface that converts these files into audio.

b) converts analog audio into digital data that your computer can process. In the old analog days, you could consider preamps and their associated circuitry as interfaces when recording into tape, for example. These preamps and recorders would convert analog audio into electrical impulses which would be converted to magnetic energy to be 'imprinted' onto a strip of iron oxide impregnated strip of plastic which we called 'tape'. Nowadays, we record to hard disk or SD cards; the media may have changed but the principle is the same.

Therefore, a soundcard IS an audio interface. The USB or firewire soundcard IS an audio interface, the only difference being that they are external interfaces compared to an internally installed soundcard. Any device that allows a computer to interact with audio becomes an interface... even a USB mic can be considered an interface by virtue of definition, although it is strictly an input only device - except in some models that include audio output for monitoring purposes. (What?! a mic with an output? Try googling the sE usb mics.)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bellhaus

« Reply #353 on: March 11, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »
yep tama si sir kit!

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
are there metronome software existing that you can program? like this time signature for the intro then it changes to another time signature for the verse and so on and so forth... can't find any in google... or i just don't know how to tweak my software? like "reaper" or "reason"

BTW... we are not pro sound engineers but we (me and my bandmates) want to learn so we can record good demos for ourselves...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:46:26 PM by axebass26 »
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis........
http://axebass26.multiply.com .....
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline bellhaus

« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
are there metronome software existing that you can program? like this time signature for the intro then it changes to another time signature for the verse and so on and so forth... can't find any in google... or i just don't know how to tweak my software? like "reaper" or "reason"

BTW... we are not pro sound engineers but we (me and my bandmates) want to learn so we can record good demos for ourselves...

nuendo sir or cubase

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

Ang gamit ko Sony Acid tapos may tempo/time signature change marker option dun.

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
meron din kaya sa vegas?
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis........
http://axebass26.multiply.com .....
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline sinosimelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »
sana di OT... pero ano kaya maganda gamitin na "drum machine" yung tipong ikaw mag seset ng tempo, tapos pati yung mga fills ikaw din gagawa... may narinig kasi ako na composition dito sa PM... may kumakanta, guitars.. tapos may drums, alam ko na software lang yun... kaso wla akong idea kung ano yun, at pano gawin? 

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
^ EZdrummer or Addictive Drums

mas maganda saakin ung Addictive Drums. Medyo Realistic yung tunog.

Offline sinosimelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
^ EZdrummer or Addictive Drums

mas maganda saakin ung Addictive Drums. Medyo Realistic yung tunog.

okay thanks... bumili po kayo ng software? o download lang sa naka-kalat sa interwebs?  :-D

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2010, 12:30:53 AM »
secret.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
Hmmm... I can see boxes of EZDrummer and Addictive Drums is Marvin's office... and that's not counting the other boxes of NI samples, Cubase 5, Logic Pro...

Seriously, if you don't know how to find these things, don't ask them here. I know where to find them, but to download them? You would spend a lifetime on dialup.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline wratharrow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #363 on: March 24, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
what's a good audio interface that can record 16 or more channels simultaneously? or would most PTools interfaces require ADAT expansions to get more channel inputs?

and as a side question, for multichannel simultaneous recording, is a big mixer console really required for recording and mastering?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:13:42 PM by wratharrow »

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #364 on: March 24, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »
Hmmm... I can see boxes of EZDrummer and Addictive Drums is Marvin's office... and that's not counting the other boxes of NI samples, Cubase 5, Logic Pro...

Seriously, if you don't know how to find these things, don't ask them here. I know where to find them, but to download them? You would spend a lifetime on dialup.

Actually, you might be referring to BFD2 and practically all of its expansions. Gerard uses EZdrummer. Eastwest has really good drumkits in its Ministry of Rock Library. I have that too. ;-P
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
what's a good audio interface that can record 16 or more channels simultaneously? or would most PTools interfaces require ADAT expansions to get more channel inputs?

Most 'prosumer' interfaces give you 2-, 4-, 6-, or 8 analog inputs with the more expensive ones offering up to 8 mic preamps. While they may state that their channel inputs can reach 16 or more channels, it's usually the cased that the analog channels are augmented by 2- or 8-channel digital inputs which require spdif/AES-EBU or ADAT interfaces. It's rare that you will find interfaces with more than 8 mic preamps, but most firewire interfaces from the same manufacturer (RME or Focusrite, for instance) allow you to 'stack' them so you could have more I/O.

Some of the Protools LE (003 and 003 rack) and M-audio interfaces accept ADAT I/O, but the Mbox does not have ADAT I/O.

and as a side question, for multichannel simultaneous recording, is a big mixer console really required for recording and mastering?

Yes and no. It depends really on how many channels you need to record. Mixers can serve as summing busses if your interface only accepts 8 analog input channels. You also get routing flexibility when you have a mixer, but you lose out on automation unless you use something like an O2R or O3D. The Protools Control 24/C24 allows up to 16 mic preamps and acts as a control surface at the same time.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #366 on: March 24, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
@Kitc - Well, can you use a 2408 without the PCI card? ;-P
============
Marvin Querido

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »
@Kitc - Well, can you use a 2408 without the PCI card? ;-P

I've seen one plugged straight into a mac's firewire port.

Go figure.

Oh wait! We already figured that one out.  :lol:

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
Coolness!!!
============
Marvin Querido

Offline palaka

« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2010, 03:29:30 AM »
mga sir panu po mag dagdag ng plug-in sa studio one?salamat po

Offline wratharrow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Most 'prosumer' interfaces give you 2-, 4-, 6-, or 8 analog inputs with the more expensive ones offering up to 8 mic preamps. While they may state that their channel inputs can reach 16 or more channels, it's usually the cased that the analog channels are augmented by 2- or 8-channel digital inputs which require spdif/AES-EBU or ADAT interfaces. It's rare that you will find interfaces with more than 8 mic preamps, but most firewire interfaces from the same manufacturer (RME or Focusrite, for instance) allow you to 'stack' them so you could have more I/O.

Some of the Protools LE (003 and 003 rack) and M-audio interfaces accept ADAT I/O, but the Mbox does not have ADAT I/O.

Yes and no. It depends really on how many channels you need to record. Mixers can serve as summing busses if your interface only accepts 8 analog input channels. You also get routing flexibility when you have a mixer, but you lose out on automation unless you use something like an O2R or O3D. The Protools Control 24/C24 allows up to 16 mic preamps and acts as a control surface at the same time.

awesome! thanks for that!
now just to totally stray away from the interface topic, may i ask if it's possible to maximize a 4.5x5 Meter room for recording ,say, a full band?

Offline RazrX

« Reply #371 on: March 27, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »
Hello! I'm a Newbie with a question.  :-D
How to set up a Compressor? Eto yung plano kong setup kasi,,

D.A.W. --->  Profire 2626 ---------------> 8 Mics for Drums (1x Bass, 2x Snare, 3x Toms, 1x Hi Hat 1x Ride)
                  Behringer ADA 8000 -------->  2 Mics for Drum Overheads, 2x Guitar, 1x Bass, 1x Voice

Noob pa ako sa pag setup ng requirements for recording. Tapos may nag suggest sa akin na kung may Pre Amp na, ang next is Compressor. Kanina ko lang inalam yung purpose nun. Lahat ba ng Mic Inputs lalagyan nun? Diba iba ibang Compressor din ang ginagamit para sa iba't ibang instruments?

La pa din naman ako Behringer ADA8000. Kasi magsstart pa lang ako pag Aralan ang systema sa recording. Plan ko muna magstart sa Profire 2626 kasi eventually, matutunan ko din naman malaman kung ano ang nag La-lack sa recording. Kaya I-aAcquire ko yung mga equipment one by one depende kung ano yung kelangan.  :wink:

May nabasa lang kasi ako na yung Compressor, nakakatulong din sa pag-Ingat sa equipment. Di daw kasi abrupt ang pag pasok ng signal. Kung totoo nga yun at kelangan, anong Compressor para sa Setup ko sa taas? Thanks in advance..  :-)

Offline bellhaus

« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
Hello! I'm a Newbie with a question.  :-D
How to set up a Compressor? Eto yung plano kong setup kasi,,

D.A.W. --->  Profire 2626 ---------------> 8 Mics for Drums (1x Bass, 2x Snare, 3x Toms, 1x Hi Hat 1x Ride)
                  Behringer ADA 8000 -------->  2 Mics for Drum Overheads, 2x Guitar, 1x Bass, 1x Voice

Noob pa ako sa pag setup ng requirements for recording. Tapos may nag suggest sa akin na kung may Pre Amp na, ang next is Compressor. Kanina ko lang inalam yung purpose nun. Lahat ba ng Mic Inputs lalagyan nun? Diba iba ibang Compressor din ang ginagamit para sa iba't ibang instruments?

La pa din naman ako Behringer ADA8000. Kasi magsstart pa lang ako pag Aralan ang systema sa recording. Plan ko muna magstart sa Profire 2626 kasi eventually, matutunan ko din naman malaman kung ano ang nag La-lack sa recording. Kaya I-aAcquire ko yung mga equipment one by one depende kung ano yung kelangan.  :wink:

May nabasa lang kasi ako na yung Compressor, nakakatulong din sa pag-Ingat sa equipment. Di daw kasi abrupt ang pag pasok ng signal. Kung totoo nga yun at kelangan, anong Compressor para sa Setup ko sa taas? Thanks in advance..  :-)
ok lang muna kung wala, sa mixing ka na magdagdag kasi pag narecord mo na meron di mo na matatangal.

Offline RazrX

« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
ok lang muna kung wala, sa mixing ka na magdagdag kasi pag narecord mo na meron di mo na matatangal.

Thanks Bellhaus!  :-D
Bale Plug ins na lang muna ang gagamtin ko pang Compress after ng pag Record?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »
Try to think of a compressor as an 'automatic volume control' but with more flexibility. Typically, we use compressors to catch peaks before it enters the interface so that we can prevent digital clipping. With the advent of 24-bit recording, the increased headroom has allowed us to record without needing a compressor because compressors sometimes add their own color and character to a sound. A good example is Urei/UA 1176 which has been used in numerous recordings, or the classic DBX 160.

In live sound, some engineers use a compressor after the master outputs to tame peaks before going into the PA system. This helps prevent burning out the speakers at times. Another common usage is 'ducking', commonly heard in broadcast voice-overs where music is automatically lowered whenever a DJ talks into a mic.