hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 312841 times)

Offline imacRuel1

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #525 on: April 27, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
@ Sir KitC... Salamat po sa reply!... Ngayon "I can safely say" na kailangan ko talaga bumili ng AI na multi I/O para ma-accomodate yung full band recording... I'm eyeing for a Tascam US-1800...w/c is around 299 US dollars only. In the meantime, pag-aralan ko na lang muna mabuti yung mga DAW na meron ako sa PC... and these are Cubase 5 & Sonar 8 PE... :roll:

More questions to come regarding Sonar 8... base sa mga una mong reply sa thread na to... yun ang pinakagamay n'yong gamitin na DAW... THANKS! :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #526 on: April 27, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
8 mic preamps for $299? I'd say go for it! That's inexpensive compared to my Emu 1820m which I got 5 yrs ago. Just make sure to look around the tascam forums and other audio forums to see if there are any gotchas with these devices, esp. the preamps and other quirks it might have. Kinda like the emu when they said patchmix was difficult to understand but was quite easy once you get a hang of it.

As for Sonar, I usually find myself using early versions for midi. Like I find that I work faster in S4 for midi compared to later versions; more of like using S4 for initial ideas them moving on to S8 when I want to do audio and 64-bit operations. I find that the plugins in S8 to be very capable, esp their VC64 and LP64.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline imacRuel1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #527 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
8 mic preamps for $299? I'd say go for it! That's inexpensive compared to my Emu 1820m which I got 5 yrs ago. Just make sure to look around the tascam forums and other audio forums to see if there are any gotchas with these devices, esp. the preamps and other quirks it might have. Kinda like the emu when they said patchmix was difficult to understand but was quite easy once you get a hang of it.

As for Sonar, I usually find myself using early versions for midi. Like I find that I work faster in S4 for midi compared to later versions; more of like using S4 for initial ideas them moving on to S8 when I want to do audio and 64-bit operations. I find that the plugins in S8 to be very capable, esp their VC64 and LP64.

Yup...not to mention the other 2 mic/instrument inputs alongside the 8 xlrs in the front panel..I'd say it's a big bang for the buck! Will do as you told good Sir! Thanks muchly!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:19:35 AM by imacRuel1 »

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #528 on: May 04, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »
Para saan at ano ang nagagawa ng "normalize" na audio process sa mga DAW? :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #529 on: May 04, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
Para saan at ano ang nagagawa ng "normalize" na audio process sa mga DAW? :-D

Normalizing is a process that scans the highest peak in a track or wav file, then raises the overall volume level of that file/track to 0 dB, or whatever value you assign it to. Of course, if the highest peak is already at 0 dB, then normalizing does nothing. Supposing the highest peak in a file is at -6 dB then you normalize it to 0 dB, every value in that file gets raised by 6 dB; even the 'silent' portions. This means that any recorded noise will also be raised by the normalize value. Think of normalizing as something like gain, but you can not exceed 0 dB when normalizing.

It's very tempting to normalize each track so that you get an overall louder mix, but remember that the absolute volume level at the master out can never exceed 0 dB full scale. Imagine what the output will be if every track is normalized (I can imagine that Metallica waveform again). Digital output distortion is NOT a good thing.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #530 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
^^^ Yes yes yes!!! Maraming salamat sir Kit!!! Followup questio. Saan the best ginagamit ang 'normalize'?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #531 on: May 04, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
I use it on an exported mix if I want to check 'how loud can it go'. It does tend to make compression artifacts noticeable since the file is at it's 'loudest', and it also raises the overall noise floor of a file.

I sometimes use normalization to check my dithering algorithms, but only when I'm being OC about the silent portions of a mix. With the advent of good compression plugins today, I very rarely use normalize anymore.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #532 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
I use it on an exported mix if I want to check 'how loud can it go'. It does tend to make compression artifacts noticeable since the file is at it's 'loudest', and it also raises the overall noise floor of a file.

I sometimes use normalization to check my dithering algorithms, but only when I'm being OC about the silent portions of a mix. With the advent of good compression plugins today, I very rarely use normalize anymore.
+1. Thanks sir Kit!! :-D

Offline tamooghie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
mga ser, san po yung workshop nyo? how much would be the course fee?

Offline tamooghie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
sirs, can i be invited/come to the workshop?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
mga ser, san po yung workshop nyo? how much would be the course fee?

One of our forumers, mikep, may be conducting a workshop soon. I used to teach audio post production at CSB but I have a day job that takes a lot of my time now.

Offline imacRuel1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
Count me in Sir KitC! :-)

Offline jazzer182001

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #537 on: May 29, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »
Excellent idea KITC.

One immediate and obvious suggestion is to break down to related subjects/topics

- Tracking. Signal chain, mic selection, mic placement.

- Editing

- Mixing

Gerry

wanna set up home recording studio? pag me budget ka 20 k pwede na! oll u need at least p4 computer dual monitor. marami mabibili sa quiapo 6k lng, bili ka avi usb producers microphone pro with pro tools package..6k lng taz bili ka beringer pro headphone 6 k din! ung 2k magcheck in ka sa may sound proof room na hotel ayus na ang recording project sa album mo! wag kau niwala sa maraming set up set up na yan! nasa tenga at creativity lang yan! mas maganda pa latest tech enhanced audio quality! un na un! musical arrange ment ba kelangan u? download u banbd in a box dun u gawin ang arrangent then revoice it with yamaha midi enhancer. tapos na. la kang binayaran

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #538 on: May 30, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »
band in a box... been there, done that. why do you think i now use sonar?

Offline allrock

« Reply #539 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
ano po yung compact mixer na mura lang pero andun na lahat yung hanap mo

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #540 on: June 03, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
ano po yung compact mixer na mura lang pero andun na lahat yung hanap mo

Ang tanong eh ano hinahanap mo sa compact mixer?

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2011, 02:10:26 AM »
I'm planning to buy a Guitar-interface (only 1 input).

but my question is, Is there a point buying a 1-input interface if I already have No problem using Onboard Sound? I can already get my preferred sound just using the MOBO's built in sound card, so will a 1-input interface improve my recording in some ways (except for latency issues)?

Offline allrock

« Reply #542 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:11 PM »
balak ko po kase mag home recording ang meron lang po ako dito eh computer lang po anu po ba kailangan ko bali mga rap song yung gusto ko record

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #543 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
If your onboard does low latency asio or WDM, then you shouldn't have much of a problem, until you start monitoring your inputs in real time, that is. It's very rare nowadays to find onboard sound with asio drivers. Most I've seen were MME, and WDM latency performance wasn't so good. Then there is the relatively high noise...

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #544 on: June 07, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
Ano ang gamit ng mixer? pag 1-track lang kelangan pa ba ng mixer?

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #545 on: June 07, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »
^^ Hindi na kailangan. :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #546 on: June 08, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
Ano ang gamit ng mixer? pag 1-track lang kelangan pa ba ng mixer?

Depends.

Lets say you only have a stereo input card. Technically that's 2 mono channels so you can feasibly record 2 different sounds at the same time. That's ok if you have only 2 sources to record, like say your voice and a guitar. But what if you want to add some keyboards? Or maybe do a stereo recording of an entire band for a simple demo?

A stereo only card cannot accommodate more than 2 inputs so if you want to add a another keyboard or 2 to the mix, you will find yourself patching the additional sound sources to your soundcard every single time. That's where a mixer comes in, when you have more inputs than your soundcard allows.

Pwede rin going mixerless, but this is applicable in soundcards with 4 or more inputs.

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #547 on: June 12, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
i'm curious, do you guys still mic an amp to get the guitar sound or do you just use programs to make the distorted/clean/effects sound?

and regarding programing drums, what programs do you usually use?

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #548 on: June 12, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
i'm curious, do you guys still mic an amp to get the guitar sound or do you just use programs to make the distorted/clean/effects sound?

and regarding programing drums, what programs do you usually use?

For guitars, both methods are still used.

For drums, Superior Drummer.

Offline stilljey

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #549 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:56 AM »
EZ Drummer for drums or XLN Audio AD