hulika

Author Topic: How to Ship an Amp locally?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
How to Ship an Amp locally?
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on how to ship my Hot Rod Deluxe III to a potential new owner. The amp is in Muntinlupa, and the interested party is in Bacolod. Does anyone have experience with local couriers/delivery services that you would like to share?

I actually purchased this amp in the US and had it shipped over to the PH through Johnny Air I think. I double boxed it with layers of clothing and cushion material for protection. 

Hoping someone here could share some tips!

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How to Ship an Amp locally?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
I shipped a 2x12 Marshall to Cebu years ago via Air21. I boxed it OCD style (hehe) and Air21 picked it up at my house. The people who picked it up gave an estimation of how much it would cost which they said will have to be confirmed at their offices. I paid their estimate and received a call by the company the next day, saying that my payment was over a hundred pesos over. I let it go and asked them to proceed with the delivery. Amp arrived at my buyer's Cebu address 3 days after it was picked up at my house. It cost me about PHP2K then, IIRC.

About a month ago, I bought a small tube amp from a PhilMu member. It was sent to me via LBC and I received it the day after it was shipped. I believe LBC has that pick service as well.

You could also opt to send it via PAL or Cebu Pac cargo. This method is a lot cheaper. Only problem is, you would have to bring it to their cargo offices while the buyer gets it at their local PAL/Cebu Pac terminal. The item usually arrives within 24 hours (or same day even, if you bring it early and there are lots of flights out to the desired province) as well, depending on flight load. PAL's cargo office is near Terminal 2 while Cebu Pac's used to be at Terminal 4.

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »
I shipped a 2x12 Marshall to Cebu years ago via Air21. I boxed it OCD style (hehe) and Air21 picked it up at my house. The people who picked it up gave an estimation of how much it would cost which they said will have to be confirmed at their offices. I paid their estimate and received a call by the company the next day, saying that my payment was over a hundred pesos over. I let it go and asked them to proceed with the delivery. Amp arrived at my buyer's Cebu address 3 days after it was picked up at my house. It cost me about PHP2K then, IIRC.

About a month ago, I bought a small tube amp from a PhilMu member. It was sent to me via LBC and I received it the day after it was shipped. I believe LBC has that pick service as well.

You could also opt to send it via PAL or Cebu Pac cargo. This method is a lot cheaper. Only problem is, you would have to bring it to their cargo offices while the buyer gets it at their local PAL/Cebu Pac terminal. The item usually arrives within 24 hours (or same day even, if you bring it early and there are lots of flights out to the desired province) as well, depending on flight load. PAL's cargo office is near Terminal 2 while Cebu Pac's used to be at Terminal 4.

Thanks for the detailed input chief! If I may ask, how did you package the amp? Double boxed? Bubble wrap?

Another member suggested having a flight case made to keep it safe, but that will really rack up the cost on the buyers end.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »

Thanks for the detailed input chief! If I may ask, how did you package the amp? Double boxed? Bubble wrap?

Another member suggested having a flight case made to keep it safe, but that will really rack up the cost on the buyers end.

Yes, I wrapped the amp in newspaper and used 2 customised boxes then just to make sure. Air21 offered to crate it for me at an additional cost but buyer did not want to spend extra for it. It will double the total cost of shipping. Mind you, if you were to crate it yourself, you have to consider the additional weight and size when shipping.

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
Yes, I wrapped the amp in newspaper and used 2 customised boxes then just to make sure. Air21 offered to crate it for me at an additional cost but buyer did not want to spend extra for it. It will double the total cost of shipping. Mind you, if you were to crate it yourself, you have to consider the additional weight and size when shipping.

I see... Where does one find customized boxes?  :) When I first bought the amp, I just used its original box into another balikbayan box, but I probably threw it away..

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:35:09 PM »

I see... Where does one find customized boxes?  :) When I first bought the amp, I just used its original box into another balikbayan box, but I probably threw it away..

Sorry, I should have written DIYed instead of customised.  :-D I used an assortment of boxes including a balikbayan box IIRC.

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »
ap cargo.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »
ap cargo.

Thanks! Did you they pack the amp for you? Or do you do that yourself?

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

Thanks! Did you they pack the amp for you? Or do you do that yourself?

you do the packing yourself. it's better just to be sure.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"