hulika

Author Topic: New Band To Check Out!!! Do It. You'll Like It!!!  (Read 2179 times)

Offline rockjockdayna

• Philmusicus Noobitus
New Band To Check Out!!! Do It. You'll Like It!!!
« on: August 14, 2003, 03:47:40 AM »
Cloud Ten
Superkala Records
Release Date:  undetermined

After hearing Cloud Ten's upcoming release, I now understand why my other friends in the record industry have been throwing free stuff at me!  There's little doubt in my mind that Cloud Ten is everything the music world has been seeking and everything that others have failed to be, and any industry exec who's heard them for ten seconds knows it.  

Their beauty is in how difficult it is to settle on a solid description of their sound.  "Fresh," "energetic," and "catchy" come to mind.  Oddly enough, so do "hardcore," "driving," and "powerful."  Songs like Face to Face, Sleep, and Anything satisfy the cravings of hardcore and progressive music fans.   Another Day, Season of Rain, and Coming Undone satiate the palate of the hard-to-please emo fan.  Completely at the other end of the spectrum, Run, Hold On, and Someway appeal to the melodic rock and radio-friendly alternative listeners.   Few bands succeed in capturing both musical essences, but Cloud Ten does it without ever once becoming something they are not.

Everything you hear in Cloud Ten's fourteen engaging tracks is genuine.  It's also the result of years of hard work and dedication.  Superkala Records has a system that fully engrosses a developing artist in their project and the creation of a top-notch product, and Cloud Ten personifies the success factor of that system.   The passion in Zack Hooper's vocals is so real that you find yourself wanting to meet the girl who caused him such grief and physically assault her for hurting him and at the same time thank her for inspiring the musical creation that is Cloud Ten!  The passion and hard work certainly doesn't stop on lead vocals, though.   The hard-driving signature sound that is Cloud Ten comes courtesy of the guitar team of Tyler Bence and Brian McDonald.  Their intensity and style provide much of the heart and instrumental power in the Cloud Ten experience, and I say experience because it really is.   Zack's brother, Adam Hooper helps carry the driving rhythm with some of the most intricate basslines in rock and increases the band's vocal power ten-fold on back-up.  On drums, 19-year-old Shane Lenzen holds the band together with the ease of a twenty-year vet.   They say drummers are a dime a dozen, but this one's worth at least an ocean of dimes!  Without sounding too much like the girl that I am, it doesn't hurt their cause that they are all incredibly good-looking guys!  Traditionally, a band that rocks this hard has at least two or three members who look like Keith Richards!      

When discussing music, people default to the eternal question, "Well, who do they sound like?"  With most other bands, it's simple to say, "Oh, they sound like (fill in band name here.)"  No matter how hard we try, most of our favourite bands sound somewhat like someone else.   It's what I call the "pigeonhole factor."  If we describe a band by likening them to another, people feel safe and comfortable with something they already know.  The average music fan is content with what they know because most bands who sound thoroughly different have had to go a second-rate avenue and create deteriorated, over-processed technical marvels that are hardly musical breakthroughs to make anything we haven't all heard before.   For the first time in a long time, a band has managed to create a new and different sound without sacrificing an ounce of musical value.  In fact, they've stepped up the game a few notches.  The best thing to do with that question with Cloud   Ten is to avoid it.  There is no answer to it, but this time, that's a very good thing.  I could try.  Take a hint of Oleander, a smidgeon of Finch, a tad of. . . oh, forget it.  There is no way to even fake an answer to that question.

The only setback to Cloud Ten's album is that you'll have to wait awhile before it comes out.  The release date hasn't been set yet, but I assure you, it's worth the wait.  For now, get your fix at their live shows and their website, www.cloudten.com .   If they aren't playing near you, email them.  Talk to your local promoters.  Fix that, dammit!  Although worthy of The Vans Warped Tour, Ozzfest, and Lollapalooza, we still have to crawl before we walk!  

The music world has been looking for something new and different, something that resets the bar.  The music world has been looking for Cloud Ten.  

They just don't know it yet.
--Dayna
   ***I could be an accident but I'm still trying.***
   ***This world could swallow you whole, but I will never be taken alive.***      ***Up on the rooftop listening to punk rock.***

Offline Amoch

New Band To Check Out!!! Do It. You'll Like It!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 02:01:55 AM »
Intresting. What sets them apart from the rest?