hulika

Author Topic: Bakit kaya Hihats lang ang naka-MIC sa mga Cymbals??  (Read 4612 times)

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Bakit kaya Hihats lang ang naka-MIC sa mga Cymbals??
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
I feel there's inbalance sa sound, well feeling ko lang so what i do is i turn off the Hihat condenser. Hassle sound ng groove pag kasing lakas ng Hats yung snare at kick IMO. Chaka dapat kung ganun may dedicated MIC for the Ride too. Well opinion ko lang naman to.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline MacoySIN

Re: Bakit kaya Hihats lang ang naka-MIC sa mga Cymbals??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
could have used it as a mono overhead mic instead. hi hats bleed enough through everything already. that's the last thing ill be micing if it was me. unless there are very intricate hi hat patterns that need to cut through.  :-D

Offline makLoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »
masakit na nga sa tenga masyado eh  :oops:

On the time of superstition man created God.. On the time of greed man created War.. -makLoy-

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »
baka position lang sa mic? theres a certain angle to get a nice warm sound of the hihats. theres also a certain way to mix it to get a nice balanced sound that does not make it painful to listen too

Offline trasher

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »
Experience ko before sa demo recording : Mas malakas pa yung hihat sound ko kesa sa Crash, Ride, China, & even kick sound ng drums ko. Tatlong mic lang kasi yung ginamit. Isa for both the snare & hihat, isa sa kick drum, at isa sa overhead. Kaya ang nangyari puro snares at hihat lang ang narinig sa drums ko.

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
Experience ko before sa demo recording : Mas malakas pa yung hihat sound ko kesa sa Crash, Ride, China, & even kick sound ng drums ko. Tatlong mic lang kasi yung ginamit. Isa for both the snare & hihat, isa sa kick drum, at isa sa overhead. Kaya ang nangyari puro snares at hihat lang ang narinig sa drums ko.

live recording? usually ginagawa namin sa Kerplunk ay dalawang overhead, top and bottom snare, and kick..

Offline el Brutal

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
diba kaya nga may equalizer? :wink:

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
diba kaya nga may equalizer? :wink:

Equalizing is not even an issue kapatid.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
equalizing wont do as much help if the miking is not done properly...in recording the most important is the way you play. that will affect the recording. it could be miked properly and all but if the playing is bad then its useless

Offline uglyguy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
equalizing wont do as much help if the miking is not done properly...in recording the most important is the way you play. that will affect the recording. it could be miked properly and all but if the playing is bad then its useless

+1,000,000,000,000 (sana ma realize ng iba yan para tumigil na sila sa kasisisi sa tech)

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
maraming ding naman nag mmic sa ride dba? esp metal and jazz bands

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
AFAIK ang hats and snare kasi kaya iba ang mics kasi nilalagay sa magkaibang channel yan pag recording.  tapos sa mix nalang aayusin ang volume para level ang lahat... sa live naman ang nakikita ko eh 2 overheads sa crash at ride tapos snare and kick/s. pag sosyal yung prod eh lahat mic'd
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis........
http://axebass26.multiply.com .....
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
like in this vid the hi-hats isn't mic'd pero cutting pa rin sound niya...siguro kasi naka mastersound hats niya.
feature=channel

Offline migs_23

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »
IMO! if ever hindi naka MIC-IN ang hats. imagine playing it closed....then playing it with the snare nga, also the toms na hindi siya mic-ed in. hmm. parang hirap madinig.imagine a crash!! it cuts through also a ride! . :) sa tingin. depende sa sizes ng cymbals? :) ang labo! ewan ko if im being helpful or not! haha!
Don't be Afraid, im here, meet me halfway. i got you now.

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »
i think it depends on the room, how the mics are positioned, the hihats used and how you play the hihats...

Offline kssael

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »
Something helpful:

HIGH - HAT MICS
-kssael

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
Actually, if you wanna capture those stick chicks it would be important to mic the hats.  but open hats can be very harsh if not mixed properly.

IMO, hat mics aren't necessary but if you play some hihat-bombarded lines, they are of big help.

Offline michael.astigin

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
hindi kasiganon kalakas tumunog ang hi hats
another thing is, may mga certain sounds ang hats na sapat mafocusan such at open and close hats beating
lalo na sa mga jazz players
Astigin!!

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »
wala silang budget para bumili ng maayus na overhead mic stand,hehe.
pero drumming wise it sucks pag di magaling pumihit sa mix. :-o
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
It depends entirely with the sound tech., or audio engr. in the studio, AFAIK, the standard way is 2 overheads(left and right) to capture only the cymbals except the hihats and ride(others use OH for added thwacks on toms), and a mic for hi-hat and ride.

though practically hindi mazezero out yung bleed ng hats and ride sa overhead that's why usually at low volumes dapat ang ride and hat track.

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
Regarding this question madaming consideration, venue, genre kinds on an event, live or recording.

but when it comes to basic setup, all must fall to the 1:1 ratio except for the cymbals, why? of course it's because of the frequency it gives, and also the cymbals doesn't give the beat, it's more of the ambience of the music/song IMO. more likely it gives the release unto once tight rolls and drifts. the hi hats on the other part plays a big role sa dynamics especially the chops and the breaks.

on loud songs mostly you won't pay attention on what the drummer does but try listening on the quiet parts on a song. you'll surely appreciate why hi-hats ay nakaline-in.  :-D
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 08:12:07 AM »
i think it depends on the room, how the mics are positioned, the hihats used and how you play the hihats...

This is very true!
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline jetskie

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
There are many practical reasons for putting a dedicated mic on any part of the kit. For the hihats takes priority because: 

> it is the most often hit among the cymbals. More events/hits can be counted on the hihat, than the kick, snare, toms, crash and rides.

> it's has the least volume when struck. More often than not, the stick is only dropped or bounced on the hat. the stroke is gentle, but with a closed hat,volume is low... compared to the crash and ride, the strike is on these two is harder... you can watch Discovery channel on how much the cymbal practically warps and bends...

> tama ung nag comment re budget. Many opt for the entry level mic kits of 4 pcs. (eh yun lang pera nila eh, kaya wag natin sila la-itin). If you can afford to have the 8-mic drum kit, then congratulations! It may create bleed problems, but there are solutions for that too...

> i have heard engineers who simply amplified the drums using a kick mic, a snare mic, and 2 overheads condensers. I thought he did great job!