hulika

Author Topic: H.I.I.T. - Not your usual Cardio  (Read 2228 times)

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
H.I.I.T. - Not your usual Cardio
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:52:13 PM »
H.I.I.T stands for High Intensity Interval Training.

It consists of alternating your favorite cardio routine between low intensity for warmup and rest and high intensity for spiking up your heart rate for a short period of time (about 10-15 minutes compared to ordinary cardio exercise which takes about 30-45 minutes).

I've done this for more than a month now 2 days per week and I can say that It dramatically enhanced my metabolism and fat burn. I downed my waist line from 29.5" - 30" to  28" and upped my contracted chest muscle from 34" to 35.5"  including about 3 months of strength training (Low reps Heavy Weight). Not really much of a result aesthetically but I feel alot stronger than I look.

My typical H.I.I.T. routine on treadmill consists of 2.5 minute warmup jog at 9 KM/hr and spike it up to 15KM-15.5KM/hr sprint for 1 minute and 15 seconds and alternating rest and spike 5 sets all in all.

How about you?

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: H.I.I.T. - Not your usual Cardio
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
Yes, it works wonders.  Not your usual cardio where you maintain your heartrate at a certain level.

I see you're doing a sprint/run.  As with H.I.T with weight training, you must be careful with overdoing it.  No one can sustain that amount of intensity without burning up/overtraining in the long run.

Not recommended for those with high blood pressure/ heart problems, as you deal with spikes in your heartrate.  Best use it to spice up your cardio for 4-8 weeks.

:-)

Have you tried this with jumprope?
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »
I don't do it with weight training because yeah it would cause overtraining. I haven't done it with jumping rope but I'd like to try it sometimes. Not really good at it that's why I settled for a treadmill that has the preset functionality since I do regular running anyways (Until I read about H.I.I.T.).

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »
this is interesting.  i have a stationary bike gathering dust in the attic.  masubukan nga to :)  thanks.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
Needs proper diet though for it to work. :P

Offline crosstrainer

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »
... and you have to be *fit* to handle the stresses.

any insights on how you can build up stamina be able to put up with the spikes?
8 guitars, 4 amps and only two hands. Time to let go.

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »
... and you have to be *fit* to handle the stresses.

any insights on how you can build up stamina be able to put up with the spikes?

you don't have  to be fit to handle the stress. misconception about exercising and working out. the key here is 'training'.

you start low, very low. if your treadmill has settings of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15. you start with your regular stride, which is about 2-2.5. then after a couple of minutes, do your best sprint for 2 minutes, which could be 6-7. and then......

you can't overtrain if you don't use the same muscles. HIIT is cardio. weight training is weight training. Just do 3-4 types, with 3 sets/8-10 reps each.
Bakit hindi ka pwedeng mapuyat sa umaga?

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjason  http://twitter.com/bryanjason

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
This type of training makes you burn fat more...and save more time. hehe...instead of running 30 mins. sa treadmill, you can do just 10 or 15 mins. of this type of training and get the same result....sometimes even better...hehe  :-D

I'm an avid reader of Men's Health Magazine and ito yung nirerecommend nilang cardiovascular training..hehe  :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...