hulika

Author Topic: Lets see those RIDEs!  (Read 20745 times)

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Lets see those RIDEs!
« on: May 19, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
Guys for reference and to help our fellow drummers get an impression of the different RIDE's available today, could you please post your personal description/impression of your personal rides or rides that you have used for quite some time in terms of ping, stick definition, bell, crashability, wash..etc  :lol:

Expound on how how you hear them, different characteristics and traits, for what genre you think they suit best and any additional details you might want to describe them..let us interact and see if we have the same impressions (even though manufacturers claim no 2 cast cymbals are the same :-D)

Tip lang..if you could HIGHLIGHT or put in BOLD the type of cymbal to easily identify it so much the better.. :lol:

Hope this helps..

I have intentionally separated the Ride, Crash, Hi hat description thread for reference purposes to be organized that our fellow members can go directly to the cymbal that they are interested in getting an impression from rather than just one thread with mixed information for the 3 basic cymbals of the drum set. I hope this is fine with you.. :lol:

UPDATE: I have edited this thread to be a picture database for Ride cymbals as well for those who wish to share them please do post away.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:20:45 AM by Akira JUMBO »
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: *your RIDE description thread*
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 02:53:47 PM »
ok i'll start..

Zildjian 20" K Custom Dark Ride

Suitable for Jazz and Rock too but for rock the medium thin thickness might be a concern though I have haven't seen any cracked ones yet. Very washy and very crash able, will work as a big crash if you prefer. Loud when you ride it hard but Jazzy also when ridden with a subtle approach. Bell cuts through with a mid-high pitch tone. Dark undertones indeed.  Stick definition was not clean though, a bit too washy for me. Overall a beautiful ride but not so versatile for all.

Zildjian 18" K Custom Ride

Very clean stick definition with extra sharpness when nylon stick is used. Large zilbel like bell..Loud! High pitched due to thickness (medium heavy). Minimal wash short sustain. Not crash-able..dong!!! Comments on being small has been given to me but I think it cuts through pretty well for an 18"..Gadd style hehe! Very versatile ride but for heavier music I would prefer the bigger sizes.

:lol:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:16:00 AM by Akira JUMBO »

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:41:08 PM »
Try lang....

20" Avedis Medium Ride

I think this is a very versatile ride. What I really like about this ride is its bell, moderate to loud. Very nice stick definition, a bit washy though. I haven't crashed ride/crash rode/crash ridden :-P this one but i think its crashable...

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:58:47 PM »
im not really that particular or oc in my ride cymbal....haha

what i use right now is a Sabian 20 aax stage ride...

its versatile too and its the best for its price already...bright sounding ride cymbal and has a good wash too..

well if i want to have another ride cymbal i wanted the HH power bell ride or a HHX 20 Stage ride...but as of now im ok and happy with my 20 aax stage ride

Offline wipeout

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »
Here are my ride cymbals:

21"  Sabian HHX Groove Ride - NIce jazzy stick definition with an airy wash that supports it.  Perfect for Jazz or Funk.  The ping will be buried in the mix if you use it for Rock but it has a nice crash riding sound, dark, warm, full wash!  Strong big sounding bell.  If you like a pingy ride, you should look somewhere else.  If you like crash riding, this is it!

22" Paiste 2oo2 Ride - The classic Rock ride sound as they say.  The ping is very clear yet it is still in perfect balance with the warm wash.  Still crashable at this size and weight.  Bell is clear and loud although its profile is a bit flat, it has its sweet spot, not the whole bell surface will have a clear full sound.  But once you get used to the sweet spot, it has a consistent solid bell sound.  Can also be used as an aggressive jazz ride cymbal.

20" Zildjian K Constantinople Light Ride - Jazzy "tick" ping sound supported by an airy wash.  The wash is like "hhaaaaahhhhh".  A very dark, warm sounding ride, very nice crash sound although the bell is not that clear.

20" Zildjian K Constantinople Medium Ride - Same character as the light ride, just more defined ping and more focused undertones.  Great also for some light rock.

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 10:03:15 PM »
 :-o
the numbern of rides you have is already equal to the number of my cymbals combined :cry:
nice rides wipeout...

Offline wipeout

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »
Thanks wax static!   :-)

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »
I have a 21" A Zildjian ride that I think is older than me, because it bears the old hollow logo.

I have received a lot of positive comments about this ride because of its flexibility. Its bell has a very loud and defined ping, and its bow and edge produce a bright shimmering sound with beautiful overtones. It is very crashable, quite smooth to hit for a medium weight ride.

I would never trade this ride for anything else.  :-D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:17:23 AM by Gep »

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:46:48 AM »
Here are my ride cymbals:

21"  Sabian HHX Groove Ride - NIce jazzy stick definition with an airy wash that supports it.  Perfect for Jazz or Funk.  The ping will be buried in the mix if you use it for Rock but it has a nice crash riding sound, dark, warm, full wash!  Strong big sounding bell.  If you like a pingy ride, you should look somewhere else.  If you like crash riding, this is it!

22" Paiste 2oo2 Ride - The classic Rock ride sound as they say.  The ping is very clear yet it is still in perfect balance with the warm wash.  Still crashable at this size and weight.  Bell is clear and loud although its profile is a bit flat, it has its sweet spot, not the whole bell surface will have a clear full sound.  But once you get used to the sweet spot, it has a consistent solid bell sound.  Can also be used as an aggressive jazz ride cymbal.

20" Zildjian K Constantinople Light Ride - Jazzy "tick" ping sound supported by an airy wash.  The wash is like "hhaaaaahhhhh".  A very dark, warm sounding ride, very nice crash sound although the bell is not that clear.

20" Zildjian K Constantinople Medium Ride - Same character as the light ride, just more defined ping and more focused undertones.  Great also for some light rock.

nice rides their greg..cheers man.. :wink:

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:30 PM »

OT; I love this thread. Dami akong napupulot.

Wala akong ma s-share as of now. I still dont know what characteristic sound of a cymbal would suit my style, but im gassing for a 21" Avedis Sweet ride. Galing ng wash, crash, saka ng bell sound!

Keep 'em coming, guys. Nice Thread!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:37:06 PM by Bammbamm »
So Be It.

Offline boytambol

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 11:14:31 PM »
sabian ride crash.... kahit anong brand cguro.....   madami kc xa use eh...  :lol:

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 10:55:49 PM »
sabian ride crash.... kahit anong brand cguro.....   madami kc xa use eh...  :lol:

i think you mean model bro.. :lol:

could you give a personal description of this ride of yours.. :-D

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:03:06 AM »
21" Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride

Sabian describes it this way and i for once would agree with them:

High-definition sticking with the right degree of warm, funky tone. Unlathed bell cuts with maximum clarity.

it first caught my attention when i heard it live and had a chat with Incubus' drum tech when they were in manila. my desire for it was strengthene by seeing and hearing John Blackwell Jr. use it in DrummerLive 2005. Before all these, I swore by K custom rides, well not anymore (IMHO so to speak).

:mrgreen:

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 11:48:58 AM »
22" K Custom Dark Ride - Low pitched ride with light overall stick definition. Good amount of wash.
BELL: dry, warm and nicely-defined without being overpowering.
BOW: woody stick definition with a lot of wash.
EDGE: Being medium-thin, this ride responds quickly when crashed.  The wash is in the mid-frequencies, EQ-wise.

20" K Custom Medium Ride - Generally bright with a hint of darkness. Brightness may be due to its unlathed underside.
BELL: loud, high-pitched, defined yet dark and hollow-sounding.
BOW: more stick definition than the Dark, with a higher-pitched wash underneath.
EDGE: Not so responsive as a Dark when crashed. Swell is slower and the overall pitch of the wash is higher.

Generally, I think K Custom Mediums and Darks are OK for alternative rock, but not very useful (or audible) for heavy rock tunes. Jazz? Semi, but not very. :D

24" 70's A Medium - Low-pitched ride that gives an illusion of a dark sound. Very versatile cymbal, believe it or not.
BELL: loud and dark, especially orgasmic if you hit it with the side of the stick.
BOW: Nice stick definition; gives you a teasing wash the first time you hit it, but builds to a roar if you hit some more.
EDGE: low-pitched wash with a slow-swelling crash; I imagine cream when I crash this cymbal.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 05:28:45 PM »
ako gusto ko raw bell dry ride or power bell ride ng sabian, kaya lang wala ako pambili hehehe. i like rides that have solid bells tska less washy. i try to avoid mediums but ganun ang ride ko. hopefully i can buy the AA raw bell ride before xmas. hay ang tagal... :|

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: RIDE description thread
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 02:13:52 AM »
Zildjian 22" Platinum Ping Ride

Well what can I say its the Ping-iest ride I have ever heard. Really cuts through with defined and great stick projection. It is exactly what I have been looking for after listening to the Paragon Ride of Neil Peart wherein I found out before he switched to Sabian he was using this very cymbal in Traditional finish. The bell is also Ping LOUD and I mean really LOUD! Very suitable for heavy music. Not suitable for most Jazz I guess since it has very little wash. The size really projects the ride sound. No edge wobble as this is a medium heavy cymbal. Not quite crash-able as well but to some it is quite tolerable.  :lol:

Offline butoyonly

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:34:09 PM »
anu ba mas ok yung hand hammered or machine hammered?? is there such thing? hehehe..wala ako mashado alam sa drums, but the mere fact na hand hammered ang isang ride, i guess mas maganda ang tunog nun. Maybe because it took several perspirations and arm stress from the maker which gives a unique sound compared to those mechanically manufactured hehehehe.... :-P
kapish.  "Inhalation of vomit due to barbiturate intoxication."

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »
@butoyonly

Kapatid, hand hammered is considered better than machine. As with all Western hand made items they are considered more valuable and expensive. Manual hammering as done with cast cymbals create a certain variable of sound quality compared to consistent machine hammering. Thus making each cymbal unique from the others even if they are of the same line and make.

You are probably right, its the drops of bodily liquids that probably make the cymbal more special :-D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »
anu ba mas ok yung hand hammered or machine hammered?? is there such thing? hehehe..wala ako mashado alam sa drums, but the mere fact na hand hammered ang isang ride, i guess mas maganda ang tunog nun. Maybe because it took several perspirations and arm stress from the maker which gives a unique sound compared to those mechanically manufactured hehehehe.... :-P

hand vs machine hammered hmmmm

its just a question of consistency as akira pointed out. personally, i prefer machine hammered. sure hand hammered gives a unique sound but you will likely encounter more bad sounding hand hammered cymbals than machine hammered ones (speaking from experience  :evil: ).

just dont fall into the notion that hand hammered cymbals are greater than machine hammered as marketed by the cymbal companies. its your ears that will always decide for you.

2 years ago i dumped all my machine hammered cymbals (K's, A customs, AAX) to get hand hammered cymbals. right now, im collecting those same machine hammered cymbals again because they fit better in the music i play.

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
just dont fall into the notion that hand hammered cymbals are greater than machine hammered as marketed by the cymbal companies. its your ears that will always decide for you.

+1

as we always say the drums including the cymbals is your voice and yours alone. You decide which suits you or not and no one but you can dictate that  :wink:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 01:07:12 AM »

ZILDJIAN Z Power Ride

We use this in the studio. sobrang heavy cymbal nia and has a dark feel to it.
the strange thing lang, ung bell nia can cut through sa music. im a guitarist din kasi so pag nag rerecord ako, this can blend or cut the music. yo can almost say it
is a hybrid boy.  haha

SABIAN B8 ride (first series)

on my opinion, the first series of the sabian was better. not only because of its
thickness but also the sound. ung mga bago kasi, maxado na clang bright. i own an aax stage hats na first series din. and it is really better than he new one. this ride, i prefer it for jazz kasi mjo may pagka dark accent xa and mei warm feel. the bell is really good to dun sa mga accento nio.

hehe
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline stiknstone

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 01:27:10 AM »
20' Avedis Zildjian Crash Ride

im using this in a studio. very upbeat ung tunog nya pati ung bell nya matunog din. Pde mo ring gawin crash. Kung mahilig ka sa mga upbeat or loud sounds. eto gamitin mo :-D

Offline markdelacruz

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 01:47:15 AM »
Zidjian ZHT 20" Medium Ride- clear stick definition, but the decay is too long. High pitched, strong bell sound.

Sabian HHX Legacy Ride 20" - dark sounding, defined stick definition "fiery" bell sound if struck with the drumstick shoulder, mid to high pitch bell sound if struck with the drumstick tip. Very crashable. Fiery and dark sounding. Perfect for jazz. Works out well with funk and rock for me. :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 01:58:33 AM by Akira JUMBO »
There are only two kinds of music, the good and the bad. ; There's no need to classify as long as you can play. -Buddy Rich

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »
@butoyonly
Kapatid, hand hammered is considered better than machine. As with all Western hand made items they are considered more valuable and expensive. Manual hammering as done with cast cymbals create a certain variable of sound quality compared to consistent machine hammering. Thus making each cymbal unique from the others even if they are of the same line and make.

its just a question of consistency as akira pointed out. personally, i prefer machine hammered. sure hand hammered gives a unique sound but you will likely encounter more bad sounding hand hammered cymbals than machine hammered ones (speaking from experience  :evil: ).

Uniqueness/inconsistency is a value that's only as important as consistency (aka, If you don't value uniqueness/inconsistency, it's not really a very good feature). Hand hammered is more expensive for the mere fact that it involves more manual labor than machine hammering. This is a fact even for everything else that's labor-intensive in the US or most other advanced countries (which is baligtad sa Pilipinas... mas mahal ang minakina dahil mas pulido ang gawa at may special na gamit involved). Other than that:

400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: Lets see those RIDEs! and description thread
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »
Just reviving our threads for those who might want to share.  :lol: