hulika

Author Topic: Best White Blues Man  (Read 2967 times)

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Best White Blues Man
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
Yeah, Yeah I know.  Color shouldn't be a problem or a factor in music.  But there were times that it was. 

I was at Backdoor Blues Cafe last night Delta, Me, Ponky, Kit and Sir jun or paul? were chatting about the blues men that we look up to and seek guidance  :-D.   Then we got into this topic we discussed and chatted about tone, delivery, sincerity of these blues artist again these are the godfathers of blues - older blues states men 40 years old above? 

Here are the list of my Best White Blues Man in no particular order

- Clapton
- SRV

So where's the best?

My Opinion the best white blues man was/is Peter Green :-D - tone, delivery. sincerity  :-D

I wanna know your picks mate!!

Thanks to Mr. Backdoor Man and Company for a very nice Blues Evening  :-D

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Best White Blues Man
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55:53 PM »
Add these guys to the list too:

Johnny Winter
John Hammond (the younger)
John Mayall
Billy Gibbons

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:53:24 AM »
duke robillard 8-)
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 01:59:58 AM »
hmm...here are my picks (in no particular order)

Non American Bluesmen:
Clapton
Gary Moore
Rory Gallagher

American Bluesmen
Billy Gibbons
Johnny Winter
Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughan
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »
Na-inspire ka pa magstart ng thread ah?

Bro, re Peter Green... you ain't heard his best yet!  ;-)

Pero dagdag natin sa list : Ronnie Earl.  Amazing!!! 

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
Ooo...last I checked Robben Ford was white and he played blues :D Dagdag nyo sa listahan.

Personally, it was the Clapton that turned me on to blues. Just one darned album "From the Cradle". From thereon I started looking up Buddy guy and albert collins and BB King and all them african american bluesmen.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:44:53 AM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »
Certainly sir....Robben Ford included

I got the same album Clapton Album...says there that all tracks were recorded via Live recording ehehhe...

Ooo...last I checked Robben Ford was white and he played blues :D Dagdag nyo sa listahan.

Personally, it was the Clapton that turned me on to blues. Just one darned album "From the Cradle". From thereon I started looking up Buddy guy and albert collins and BB King and all them african american bluesmen.

ehehehe....I'll be scouring every Record Bar out there just to get a hold of this meng.. :mrgreen:

Na-inspire ka pa magstart ng thread ah?

Bro, re Peter Green... you ain't heard his best yet!  ;-)

Pero dagdag natin sa list : Ronnie Earl.  Amazing!!! 

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »
mayall, winter, allman, haynes, shepperd, trucks, clapton..
i know marami pa mga malalalim na cats..
gusto ko madinig ung mga listening ni sir delta_slim..

@delta_slim

sir, any suggestions on good white man blues for listening??
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:32:58 AM »
mayall, winter, allman, haynes, shepperd, trucks, clapton..
i know marami pa mga malalalim na cats..
gusto ko madinig ung mga listening ni sir delta_slim..

@delta_slim

sir, any suggestions on good white man blues for listening??

when i was in HS/college, it was the same ol guys mentioned above.  lately, it's been derek trucks.  but all the time, i was really most influenced and inspired by the black dudes. 

as they say, "once you go black... "

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
when i was in HS/college, it was the same ol guys mentioned above.  lately, it's been derek trucks.  but all the time, i was really most influenced and inspired by the black dudes. 

huhuhu! oo nga sir eh, basta black..
parang "i like black", have a black valentines day..

pero derek trucks grabeh, hanep! i love his playing..
whew!!
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »

...you can't go back...

Kasi luluwag at lalalim ka na masyado, di ka na pwede sa iba ? Mwahahaha. :D

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »
...you can't go back...

Kasi luluwag at lalalim ka na masyado, di ka na pwede sa iba ? Mwahahaha. :D

sir bamf, iba ung tunog ng black, iba talaga sa puti, parang may ano..
something..

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »
sir bamf, iba ung tunog ng black, iba talaga sa puti, parang may ano..
something..

Eh...I dunno. Blues kasi has its roots in the sorrows of slavery. Something that the white man missed on. Maybe it's genetic ? :D . Nah. Bago ako ma-brand as a racist.... :D

Anyway, I really like Clapton. His take on "From the Cradle" were actually revived, versions coming from the African Americans. And for some reason, as you pointed out...it's different. I like the Clapton versions...ironically, he sounds more "hurt" on his versions than on the originals. Case in point..."It hurts me too". Original from Elmore James was too somber. What's that other song the one that goes " have you ever been mistreated...you know what I'm talking about...". Aba'y the original sounded too "showbiz" in my ears wherst Clapton sang as if some woman really bastardized him and kicked him in the gut while he was down.

Stopped listening to the blues in the mid-90's. At the time, I already had a licensed gun. One night, while listening to Clapton, I wanted to put my gun against my head and blow myself away. Thought "it can't hurt...I won't feel it and it will all go away...".  Parang nama-magnify yung mga problems, frustrations and angst ko sa buhay. No shyt. So back to grunge I went.

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
Eh...I dunno. Blues kasi has its roots in the sorrows of slavery. Something that the white man missed on. Maybe it's genetic ? :D . Nah. Bago ako ma-brand as a racist.... :D

Anyway, I really like Clapton. His take on "From the Cradle" were actually revived, versions coming from the African Americans. And for some reason, as you pointed out...it's different. I like the Clapton versions...ironically, he sounds more "hurt" on his versions than on the originals. Case in point..."It hurts me too". Original from Elmore James was too somber. What's that other song the one that goes " have you ever been mistreated...you know what I'm talking about...". Aba'y the original sounded too "showbiz" in my ears wherst Clapton sang as if some woman really bastardized him and kicked him in the gut while he was down.

Stopped listening to the blues in the mid-90's. At the time, I already had a licensed gun. One night, while listening to Clapton, I wanted to put my gun against my head and blow myself away. Thought "it can't hurt...I won't feel it and it will all go away...".  Parang nama-magnify yung mga problems, frustrations and angst ko sa buhay. No shyt. So back to grunge I went.

yes sir.. cguro jan tinawag na the woman tone si slow hands..

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
Joe Bonamassa, SRV, Clapton and Ford.
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 08:47:28 PM »
Sonny Landreth 8-)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:09:25 AM »
all the white boys you mentioned are really, really good...... favorite ko din si srv, clapton and robben ford.

anyone remember jeff healey? he is more blues rock than blues, but i can't get enough of his vibrato...

first jeff healey song i ever heard was his version of the beatles' "while my guitar gently weeps" .....one of the first guitar solos that blew me away totally, one of the reasons i took up the guitar. and i didn't realize that he was blind and played with his hand above the neck while sitting down...mas lalo ako napanganga.....
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol