hulika

Author Topic: Favorite 'pogi jazz' solos ...  (Read 9449 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Favorite 'pogi jazz' solos ...
« on: June 09, 2006, 02:14:30 AM »
This is just an offshoot of the '80's jazz thread'..

Such an interesting topic could be too broad and might just veer off aimelssly, so I figured, maybe we could zero in on something more specific ...

So here ...

Let's hear it for your favorite solos!

===============================================

1. 'Feels So Good' - Chuck Mangione

To this day, Grant Geissman's guitar solo on this song remains one of my favorite 'air guitar' jazz solos. Nice paraphrasing, use of double-stops, slurs, hammer-ons, and best of all ... the tone! I'm not exactly sure what effect he uses for his trademark tone, but I'm guessing it's a phaser; maybe an MXR Phase 90 which was quite popular at the time. For someone using a 'traditional' jazz box, he sure doesn't fit the 'traditional' jazz guitar tone.

2. 'It Doesn't Matter' - SpyroGyra

From the 'Morning Dance' album, this one features John Tropea - another relatively unknown, but killer studio ace during his time. I used to think it was (resident Spyrogyra guitarist) Chet Catallo, but I was surprised when I checked out the album credits recently at their website. Turned out, the group was also like Steely Dan in a way, coz they'd use some 'hired guns' too to get their grooves going.

3. 'Breezin' Easy' - Tom Scott

As the title says, it's light and breezy. Best enjoyed with a bottle or two of San Mig Light .. :)

4. 'Affirmation' - George Benson

Good ole Georgie before the nose job ...  :)

It's amazing that despite his pop superstar status, he'd always include a track or two where he'd still show off his dazzling fingerwork..

5. 'Superwoman' - Noel Pointer

Classic Dave Grusin at his finest ... from a three-note motif, he builds up the tension using even more rhythmic hooks.. shows us how you don't have to be a Chick Corea yet still make a strong statement..

6. 'Angela' (Theme from Taxi) - Bob James

Who was it who did the guitar solo on this one? Was it Eric Gale? Not sure now, but it does sound like him. Blues-based inflections, definitely ... very tasty

7. 'Shaker Song' - Manhattan Transfer

I'm not sure now if this was Richie Cole or Phil Woods.

8. 'On the Boulevard', 'Twilight Zone' - Manhattan Transfer

Jay Graydon smokes! Well, if he out-gunned Larry Carlton for the Dan's 'Peg,' final guitar solo, then Becker and Fagen definitely should have very good reasons for singling him out ...
"No static at all ..."

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Favorite 'pogi jazz' solos ...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
1. 'Feels So Good' - Chuck Mangione

its just too bad Grant was not able to do those super fast runs on
the live version.   the studio version is a classic.

4. 'Affirmation' - George Benson

George Benson high on adrenaline.  I love the Al Gafa version too.
don't forget Jose Feliciano composed this and his version was on
acoustic guitar.

5. 'Superwoman' - Noel Pointer

classic case of less is more. I love this solo.  rhodes + MXR phaser oooohh.  pero parang hindi Gruisin ang dating eh.

6. 'Angela' (Theme from Taxi) - Bob James
saw his live version at a Montreux festival and guess what, he used a
DX7 for the intro part....

how bout'  "Where the wind blows free"?

8. 'On the Boulevard', 'Twilight Zone' - Manhattan Transfer

yup the "Peg" and "Twilight Tone" solos will definitely stand out as
one of Graydon's trademark solos.   specially those double stops.

@deacon blues - surely you must have seen the "Aja" dvd where they discussed the history of the "Peg" solo.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »
Feels So Good - still feels good after 20 years. The guitar  has the same    tone as Tuck Andress, don't u agree? Somewhere between acoustic and electric. Same guitar?

Kid Charlemagne - though not jazz, but somehow close. This is the riff taught by Steve Lukather on his tutorial video.

Room 335 by Larry Carlton again and using the same patterns as Peg.

Brazasia - I don't know if Yutaka did the piano solo.

East St. Louis - violin solo

Song for Lorraine by Sprygyra - I know there'a a good keyboard solo there somewhere but I don't remember much bec. I haven't heard it for a long long time.

Spain - the keyboard solo in Al Jarreau's. Is it still Chick?

I must watch that Aja DVD!
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:26:28 PM »
Kid Charlemagne - though not jazz, but somehow close. This is the riff taught by Steve Lukather on his tutorial video.
- diba si Larry Carlton ang nag solo nito

Spain - the keyboard solo in Al Jarreau's. Is it still Chick?

its possible na si Larry Williams on that great synth solo, Senor Corea
is not listed in the album liner notes except as composer for "Spain"

I have a copy of that "The Making of Aja" video in vcd. if we can muster in maybe a couple of Steely Dan die hards then we could setup a viewing
so that we could argue and gripe about this great band in progress.

"Hold on" - Seawind.  synth solo by Larry Williams.  the guy was just
waiting for his cue to burst in with this solo break.  this solo was pretty
much worked out, specially when some of the lines are harmonized.
pero pang "lagay" talaga.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline paul

• Philmusicus Noobitus
hmmm.....
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »
Sunny - Pat Martino. try downloading the live version. my mouth was open throughout the entire song when i first heard it.

Offline Kulas

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 03:34:05 PM »
dreamwalking - lee ritenour. pure sarap!

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 03:39:33 PM »
Quote from: 3650guy
- diba si Larry Carlton ang nag solo nito

Yes si Larry Carlton. But it is so striking different that even Steve L is teaching it as one of the good riffs in his video.

"Hold on" is from what album of Seawind?

I think we can muster a few more SD fans for the viewing. I can also pitch in my Two Against Nature DVD and Donald Fagen's piano tutorial
for the viewing (this one threw me off, I didn't realize that Donald was that good on keyboards given that most piano solos on their albums were done by the seasoned ones). We can even do it in my place and do a little jam afterwards.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »
"Hold on to love" pala ang complete title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005FMBI/qid=1149839420/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-2889486-3693617?s=music&v=glance&n=5174
anyway its the album which also included the classic tracks like "free" and what else "follow your road"

sorry regarding that kid charlemagne thing..

"Two against nature" - is that the live video with that hot chick (Carolyn Leonhart) in the middle? gulp. so much for referencing it to SD.

maybe someone should start a Steely Dan thread somewhere.
.....ain't gonna do it without your Fez on....

Offline smolhand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 05:54:13 AM »
Hey Deacon Blues! :D  Who did the guitar solos in Kenny Rankin's version of Haven't We Met?  I've been asking around about this since the first time that i heard the song but nobody seems to know the answer.  BTW, I've been listening to a lot of Tony Mottola lately and I must say that he is one hell of a guitar player! His re-reading of Malaguena, that old spanish standard, really blew me away!  Is he still alive and is he also in the "pogi-jazz category?"

Thanks in advance for the answers! :D

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:16:12 AM »

"Two against nature" - is that the live video with that hot chick (Carolyn Leonhart) in the middle? gulp. so much for referencing it to SD.

I was curious about that singer, so i googled her up...

Not bad looking, sounds pretty good too (nice arrangement on I'm In The Mood for Love) - maybe a thread on jazz singers is apropos... Everyone here seems to be referencing guitar solos again!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Favorite 'pogi jazz' solos ...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 09:18:39 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues

7. 'Shaker Song' - Manhattan Transfer

Shaker Song (also known as "it's a borough, it's a borough, it's a borough") was a Spyro Gyra original. Wasn't it Jay Beckenstein himself who did the solo on the Manhattan Transfer cover?

By the way, Manhattan Transfer is playing Araneta this July...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »

its possible na si Larry Williams on that great synth solo, Senor Corea
is not listed in the album liner notes except as composer for "Spain"

That solo was too "pogi" for Chick :-) The pogijazz arrangement also drained the whole flamenco spirit out of the tune (originally from Return to Forever's "Light As A Feather"). It also led to all those Spain covers by Richard Merck and Gary V... yechhhhhh hehehe  :twisted:

Years ago I was fortunate enough to see the Chick Corea Akoustic Band at the PICC (with Dave Weckl on drums and John Pattitucci on acoustic bass). When they did Spain I could see Louie Ocampo seated right in front of the piano going [gooey brown stuff].

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 12:33:07 AM »
"Breezin'" by George Benson for me!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 12:41:07 AM »
I'm not sure if the tunes listed below can be called "pogi jazz" but I think it sounds like "pogi jazz". I appreciate 80s jazz but I'm not too fond of listening to it. I feel 80s jazz music typically has upbeat melody that verge between catchy and annoying. I'm more of a 70s jazz guy...

"Sun Goddess" - Ramsey Lewis

The album was released in 1974. Acidic sax and dazzling Fender Rhodes electric piano solos.

"Last Tango In Paris" - Neil Larsen

From the 1978 album "Jungle Fever". Fast & crunchy Hammond organ solo. I also like the 1972 original "Last Tango In Paris" by Gato Barbieri.

"Cafe Regio's" - Isaac Hayes

From the 1971 album "Shaft". Supercool jazz guitar octave solo. This tune was also used as background music in an old Gard dandruff shampoo TV commercial during the 70s -- "Charlie balakubak! Excuse me!!!"

Are these "pogi" enough?  :?
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline jazhombie

cool
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 01:56:46 AM »
pat metheny - "girls next door" from the album 'we live here...

coolest, pogi jazz solo i've ever heard...

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 08:52:47 AM »
Ramsey Lewis  - reminds me of Spring High

I'll try to get a copies of the hidden jewels (at least for me) you posted for appreciation.