hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1170548 times)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2007, 08:26:45 AM »
can you post your guitar that he custom made... kamusta naman ang tunog....

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2007, 08:49:47 AM »
My spruce /maple group....

70' guild F50, 03' taylor 614ce, 94' gibson the everly

taylor 614ce

yun taylor walang soul :-D :-D :-D
yun guild at gibson terrible :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:48:31 AM by farseer »

Offline jebs

« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
grabe yng talyor! grand auditorium guitar. tsk tsk very very nice..

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2007, 11:26:46 PM »
grabe yng talyor! grand auditorium guitar. tsk tsk very very nice..

The taylor sounds nice, until you hear the guild f50 :-D

Offline AngstRidden

• Netizen Level
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2007, 12:37:13 AM »
Mga sirs, quick question lng po. Ano po ba mga differences in terms of sound with different body type guitars? Yng mga dreadnough, concert, OOO, OM, etc aside from being louder than the other?

Offline Kulas

« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2007, 01:19:53 AM »
Mga sirs, quick question lng po. Ano po ba mga differences in terms of sound with different body type guitars? Yng mga dreadnough, concert, OOO, OM, etc aside from being louder than the other?

dreadnoughts have a more boomy, loose type of sound na very good for rhythm kasi mas makapal and bassy yung tunog nya, great for strumming and rhythm work. yung concert, 000 and OM very similar yang mga yan, it has a tighter, more focused sound na less bassy, mas trebly or middy, more suitable sha for plucking kasi mas litaw yung mga notes, and despite the size, a good OM, 000 sized guitar can project pa rin.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2007, 08:34:50 AM »
The classic dread by design is boomy... the new martin d28 is not, non scalloped bracing kasi... my santa cruz dread naman is voiced to have a balance sound, assymetric yun pagka shave ng bracing... kaya maganda rin siya for fingerpicking... pinaka boomy yun martin d41 ko followed by the hd28, mafeefeel mo yun yanig...

OMs are more middy, mas magcucut sa mix... the old 000 w/ the shorter scale neck mas meaty ang sound, but less tight compared w/ the OM

Concert size mas maliit pa, built for finger style

may parlour size pa.... at jumbo :-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:49:52 AM by farseer »

Offline jamesroy

« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »
Old washburn acoustic gutiars with brazilian rosewood are very good sounding, pati alvarez acoustics..

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »
wow, have you tried ye old washburns.... anong year

Offline GGBR

« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2007, 08:41:50 AM »
can you post your guitar that he custom made... kamusta naman ang tunog....

I dont have a photo of my guitar (very old german spruce top, cocobolo back/sides. braz rw bridge+fingerboard+headplate, honduran neck) as I sent it back for refinish & re-binding with flamed maple (similar to the acrhctop work in previous posts). I did not like the sunburst finish. It's being done in natural.

Sounds good - a lot of overtones which is expected of German spruce & cocobolo (which I was told has a better 'Q' than braz rw). I cannot of course say the level of 'goodness' as that will all depend on personal preferences. But will have to wait a year to open up.

Here's another guitar which is by him as well. Except for the soundhole & pikgard, the shape, and size would very much be the same. This one is Engelmann top & Braz RW thruout (cocobolo pikgard)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:52:52 AM by GGBR »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #285 on: June 25, 2007, 09:13:43 AM »
I dont like the design on this one... parang pilit.... the blue one, is really nice... malaki ba talaga difference ng tone ng braz, cocobolo at IRW??? perception ko kasi kung mayroon man, very subtle :-)

Offline GGBR

« Reply #286 on: June 26, 2007, 01:23:26 AM »
I dont like the design on this one... parang pilit.... the blue one, is really nice... malaki ba talaga difference ng tone ng braz, cocobolo at IRW??? perception ko kasi kung mayroon man, very subtle :-)

Not my taste either. His influence is Russian/Slavic, hence...

It would be very difficult to compare sound. To be able to tell the difference, would be best if you could have the same type of construction (same guitar design) but with varying backs/sides that you'd like to compare. all things being equal would allow such a comparison.

I've only been able to hear rw's in various models/makes. Personally, I prefer backs/side with RWs. The mahogany's are warm and woody & strong in the middle. Koa is also quite punchy in the mids & hi's. These would be good for strumming and vocal accompaniment. The rw's lend to fingerpicking - for my personal taste.

The Taylor BRW presentation with Engelmann top does not impress me as so different. Impressive inlays and the simple country-western design of Bob Taylor. The cocobolo (supposedly has a higher "Q" than BRW) with german spruce exudes very good shimmering overtones and is considerably warm, good for fingerpicking. It'll have to wait a year for it to open. The parlor with 10- 16 annular rings top with back/sides (I believe is) IRW, (I am not certain but could be another south american rw) has an absolutely beautiful warm punch and ringing with overtones adn very strong projection. It hasn't opened up as yet. (strings are J. Pearse).

I would be ideal to buy at least four guitars which will compliment varied music styles. Buy the guitar if it impresses you. It does not have to be a name, the ear should always be the best judge. But barring price issues, the best buys would invariably be hand-made by reputable luthiers - Collings, Goodall, Ryan!, Wiengert, Cumpiano, McIroy, Froggy Bottom and of course Sta. Cruz. But if you prefer off-the shelf, classic Martins would be fine as well as Taylors- I hear the models prior to 1998 are known to have better sounds. It would still be a plus though to have them in your arsenal.

Btw, marami nang China/Korean made which can give the US off-the-shleves a run. You just need patience to wait for the right one to appear in you favorite shop; do a lot of testing.

P.S. ---I don't even play..... :-D

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #287 on: June 26, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »
buti youre also an acoustic enthusiast... lately nababaon nalang tong thread na to :-D :-D :-D

Yeah, kanya kanya lang talaga yan... ive tried some goodalls, collings, and lowdens... i fell in love w/ a jumbo goodall w/ maple body, napaka mahal lang... to my ears my guild 70' f50 is at par w/ it , among the lowdens naman i was impressed w/ the cheaper cedar topped jumbo mahogany... the collings are great, mas kadikit ang martins, but their dreads seem to be more open sounding and their om naman are very focused... yun santa cruz, more balanced... very light yun built, but comparing it w/ a similar martin, mas maliit ang headroom ng scgc... may zing factor din ang scgc, very balance...

Di natin nababangit ang gibsons, lol... but honestly, ive tried a couple of great sounding jumbos (2 out of 10)... and the robert johnson model was one of the best guitars ive tried during my last visit in a big guitar store.... i was surprised napakaliit pero feel na feel mo yun sound...

Taylors are ok, but not really great :-D :-D :-D

On chinese made guitars... the blueridge range are wonderful considering their price... pero iba pa rin yun mga martins... i  was pretty excited to try the GAD guilds but was disappointed... kala ko since all solid sila, baka maayos na...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 01:50:26 AM by farseer »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2007, 01:53:23 AM »

The mahogany's are warm and woody & strong in the middle. Koa is also quite punchy in the mids & hi's. These would be good for strumming and vocal accompaniment. The rw's lend to fingerpicking - for my personal taste.

Same observation :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2007, 02:45:37 AM »

Not my taste either. His influence is Russian/Slavic, hence...

It would be very difficult to compare sound. To be able to tell the difference, would be best if you could have the same type of construction (same guitar design) but with varying backs/sides that you'd like to compare. all things being equal would allow such a comparison.

I've only been able to hear rw's in various models/makes. Personally, I prefer backs/side with RWs. The mahogany's are warm and woody & strong in the middle. Koa is also quite punchy in the mids & hi's. These would be good for strumming and vocal accompaniment. The rw's lend to fingerpicking - for my personal taste.

The Taylor BRW presentation with Engelmann top does not impress me as so different. Impressive inlays and the simple country-western design of Bob Taylor. The cocobolo (supposedly has a higher "Q" than BRW) with german spruce exudes very good shimmering overtones and is considerably warm, good for fingerpicking. It'll have to wait a year for it to open. The parlor with 10- 16 annular rings top with back/sides (I believe is) IRW, (I am not certain but could be another south american rw) has an absolutely beautiful warm punch and ringing with overtones adn very strong projection. It hasn't opened up as yet. (strings are J. Pearse).

I would be ideal to buy at least four guitars which will compliment varied music styles. Buy the guitar if it impresses you. It does not have to be a name, the ear should always be the best judge. But barring price issues, the best buys would invariably be hand-made by reputable luthiers - Collings, Goodall, Ryan!, Wiengert, Cumpiano, McIroy, Froggy Bottom and of course Sta. Cruz. But if you prefer off-the shelf, classic Martins would be fine as well as Taylors- I hear the models prior to 1998 are known to have better sounds. It would still be a plus though to have them in your arsenal.

Btw, marami nang China/Korean made which can give the US off-the-shleves a run. You just need patience to wait for the right one to appear in you favorite shop; do a lot of testing.

i was hunting for a fingerstyle guitar for a while and tried Collings, St. Cruz, Goodall and Froggy Bottoms. I eventually decided on a large bodied Model F4 from Andrew White, a small but up-and-coming luthier out in Virginia whose guitars are unique, have unbelievable volume and really fit my idea of a great acoustic tone. Andrew deals with each sale personally and has guitars available at shops around the country that you can try to get a good idea of what he has to offer.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #290 on: June 26, 2007, 09:08:33 AM »
checked out the vids on his site.... what can i say??? great choice...  :-)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #291 on: June 26, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »
Just recently acquired a Yamaha FG-151 any recommended strings?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #292 on: June 26, 2007, 09:51:36 AM »
Btw, marami nang China/Korean made which can give the US off-the-shleves a run. You just need patience to wait for the right one to appear in you favorite shop; do a lot of testing.[/size]

glad to hear this.  i thought my ears were playing tricks on me...  :-) 

where would you guys put the Morris (eg, F20)  and the vintage MIJ acoustics in terms of tone and quality? 

i volunteer to play and test your guitars, sir. :-)   Moriss F20 lang akin e.

farseer - we need to push ahead with the acoustic tone party. sali si sir ggbr.  sabihin mo lang availability mo...

Offline GGBR

« Reply #293 on: June 26, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »

farseer - we need to push ahead with the acoustic tone party. sali si sir ggbr.  sabihin mo lang availability mo...

I am very much into acoustic guitar music now. I have been in touch with some US solo guitarists. In fact received invites to their shows within the area where we reside (in the US). One among them is Doug Smith, a Grammy awardee for movie scoring. He said that he has never been here. I;ve actually asked if he would be interested to comeover (mukhang di nya alam kung saan(ano) ang Pilipinas). I had the chance here to talk with Antonio Forcione  during his clinic sponsored by the British Embassy. I was very please with the show and clinic that he conducted and had renewed optimism on the the possibility of a new following for acoustics.

I would like to see more Pinoy acoustic guitar players that would follow the likes of Al Petteway, Dykes. D. Smith, Juber, Muriel Anderson. Emmanuel, Peter Finger, Gerhard...etc..etc. WHY? - I see that the music & instrument they (acoustic players) immerse themselves in provide very litttle (room) for follie and mediocrity. Rinig na rinig mo yung raw virtuosity nila. The most efx that these "purists" would go for are either a little eq and reverb. They  are I would venture to say on the "classical" realm of performance. Whilest on the other hand electronics may somehow provide some "masking".

We have, I  am CERTAIN, tons and tons of raw talents (na mas GAGALING PA SA MGA DAYUHAN!!! exposure exposure ang kailangan nila!!!) that just need to BE HEARD and given "APPROVAL" by fellow Pinoys. Maraming mga electric players dyan na pag binigyan mo ng acoustic guitar (mas mahal nga lang) eh baka "ma floor" ka sa raw "galingness" nila. 

I have more senior friends into pure acoustics -i.e.  Caloy Rufo (father of the more popular son), Ernie Delgado - mga purists into. Let's bring PURE BACK!!

Offline GGBR

« Reply #294 on: June 26, 2007, 01:07:47 PM »
Di natin nababangit ang gibsons, lol... but honestly, ive tried a couple of great sounding jumbos (2 out of 10)... and the robert johnson model was one of the best guitars ive tried during my last visit in a big guitar store.... i was surprised napakaliit pero feel na feel mo yun sound...

Taylors are ok, but not really great :-D :-D :-D

kasi ang Gibson, na overshadow na lahat ng produkto nya dahil sa LEs PAul nila!!Wala na tuloy tumitingin sa mga acoustic nila. While they made models for the King, and several "sinaunang" country-western stars, di ba? i.i Gene Autrey, ROy Rogers, et al.....

On Taylors - a friend form NY performed last night at Strumms with the mainstay (friends-also band). He brough along his newly acquire cheap Taylor 310 CE. Sitka bearclawed top with mahogany back/sides. I was quite impressed with the tone that this baby sang with. Of course it would be hard to recall to compare all the other Koas, RWs and Sapeles & Bubingas that I strummed on at Guitar Center (just like when you start sniffing perfume in a department store and go onto the next brand and the next...) you would not really be able to discern anymore from "acoustic overwhelmnation". But this cheap series was quite a buy!!. This friend Chito Dakay, who does James Taylors and Amreica etc, will be the happy hour 6PM  guest performer at Chaquicos', Makati Ave this Friday before Wally Gonzales takes the prime set. Wally said he may jam on James Taylor's Steamroller blues.

Offline tuyuta

« Reply #295 on: June 26, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »
pede bang maisingit ang acoustic amps dito?

i'm thinking of buying either an ibanez troubador TA35(35w, 1x10", 13Kless5%), or a laney LA65C(65w, 2x8", 17Kless20%). i've only tried the TA20 version (wala yung TA35 that time), ok sya para sakin. but the laney have more power, and both amps have good reviews sa harmony. mag sched din ako to test the laney. pero baka may mga naka try na sa inyo.

maraming salamats

Offline GGBR

« Reply #296 on: June 26, 2007, 01:59:12 PM »

i'm thinking of buying either an ibanez troubador TA35(35w, 1x10", 13Kless5%), or a laney LA65C(65w, 2x8", 17Kless20%). i've only tried the TA20 version (wala yung TA35 that time), ok sya para sakin. but the laney have more power, and both amps have good reviews sa harmony. mag sched din ako to test the laney. pero baka may mga naka try na sa inyo.

maraming salamats

Kung Laney yan, JB ang distributor nila dito di ba? I have tried only the following - SWR's Califonia Blonde and Strawberry Blonde BUT the better acoustic amp are the AERs. JB is the local distributor.

So far, sa pagkakaalam ko at sa narinig ko din, talgang ang AER ay superior ngayon. Meron mga ibang matatas rin ang rating at halos hati ang price, gaya ng - Ultrasound 50 & Acoustic Image Clarus. Meron akong gamit na acoustic preamp made by the designer of SWRs, it's a Raven Lab PMB II preamp, very very handy and excellent sound to connect to mixers and even into a combo acoustic amp.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »

maraming salamats

i currently use an AER compact 60 for solo acoustic gigs. I like them.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2007, 02:09:45 PM »
checked out the vids on his site.... what can i say??? great choice...  :-)

farseer - Andrew is a really nice guy. I stopped by his shop while I was out east late last year to check out his guitars. I had heard of him before but had never played his guitars. I really favor mahogany/ cedar guitars and explained to him what tone I was really interested in a guitar. The dude didn't have a mahogany based guitar on hand but mentioned that he knew he had one in a shop in Cincinnati that fit my model of choice-the F4. The guy pulled the guitar out from the Ohio dealer's inventory and had it in his shop in a few days for me to try out. The shape of his guitars are unique and comfortable but what got me was the volume and the response to a player's dynamic. I have a very percussive fingerstyle playing method and his pieces fit me to a tee.

Offline tuyuta

« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

maraming salamats

Kung Laney yan, JB ang distributor nila dito di ba? I have tried only the following - SWR's Califonia Blonde and Strawberry Blonde BUT the better acoustic amp are the AERs. JB is the local distributor.

So far, sa pagkakaalam ko at sa narinig ko din, talgang ang AER ay superior ngayon. Meron mga ibang matatas rin ang rating at halos hati ang price, gaya ng - Ultrasound 50 & Acoustic Image Clarus. Meron akong gamit na acoustic preamp made by the designer of SWRs, it's a Raven Lab PMB II preamp, very very handy and excellent sound to connect to mixers and even into a combo acoustic amp.

yes sir, JB/salonga ang distributor.  hangang sa ganung price range lang ako sir. di kaya yung AER. i won't bother trying them out kasi tutulo lang laway ko, at iiyak dahil walang pambili. ehehehe.