hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1164825 times)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #325 on: August 30, 2007, 11:43:20 PM »
mcphersons sound great also... i just dont like the way it looks :-D

Offline GGBR

« Reply #326 on: August 31, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »
These are expensive... wala pa ako sa ganyan level... i might get a collings, goodall, merrill or a froggy next...  and maybe pag nanalo sa lotto try some olsons, kevin ryans and other master luthiers that you mentioned... you are lucky exposed ka sa high end stuff... :-)

Froggy Bottom would be a winner along with Collings & Hawain Goodall; but Kevin & Olson tend to be I hear a bit over priced for their true value. Olson's claim to fame is due to JT.

I guess you can that the exposure has been there not by want but by being born into a family of music lovers. I think it's more eqiupment lovers. :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #327 on: August 31, 2007, 12:35:19 AM »
These are expensive... wala pa ako sa ganyan level... i might get a collings, goodall, merrill or a froggy next...  and maybe pag nanalo sa lotto try some olsons, kevin ryans and other master luthiers that you mentioned... you are lucky exposed ka sa high end stuff... :-)

farseer, are you a fingerpicker? if so, the Collings and Goodall would be great fits. I tried the Froggys but they didn't lend themselves well to my hands.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #328 on: August 31, 2007, 09:32:12 AM »
farseer, are you a fingerpicker? if so, the Collings and Goodall would be great fits. I tried the Froggys but they didn't lend themselves well to my hands.

yup, fingerpicker... talaga, i havent tried a froggy yet... the jumbo goodalls ive tried b4 were really big sounding and 3d yun tapon, sa collings naman, i kinda liked the D1A or the OM2a... anyways, pagpunta ko diayn sa tate, ill try all of em, basta abot sa budget.... have you been to the podium in minnesota??? parang ang sarap sadyain :-)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #329 on: August 31, 2007, 09:39:51 AM »
Froggy Bottom would be a winner along with Collings & Hawain Goodall; but Kevin & Olson tend to be I hear a bit over priced for their true value. Olson's claim to fame is due to JT.

I guess you can that the exposure has been there not by want but by being born into a family of music lovers. I think it's more eqiupment lovers. :-D

Yeah, nagmahal yun olson because of him... i think instruments by jeff trauott are more expensive than olsons, or about the same price... parang its crazy to spend 25k bucks upwards plus 3-5 years of waiting time for these instruments :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #330 on: August 31, 2007, 09:41:35 AM »
yup, fingerpicker... talaga, i havent tried a froggy yet... the jumbo goodalls ive tried b4 were really big sounding and 3d yun tapon, sa collings naman, i kinda liked the D1A or the OM2a... anyways, pagpunta ko diayn sa tate, ill try all of em, basta abot sa budget.... have you been to the podium in minnesota??? parang ang sarap sadyain :-)

I have been to the Podium but, hands down, my favorite guitar store is Gruhn Guitars in Nashville.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #331 on: August 31, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »
Did you notice that these luths tend to stay away from the dreadnaught design... ive seen some dreads from olson, but very few... and are considerably cheaper than other body shape :-)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:49:07 AM by farseer »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #332 on: August 31, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
I have been to the Podium but, hands down, my favorite guitar store is Gruhn Guitars in Nashville.

hindi ba mas mahal sa gruhn??? ive checked the prices at the podium, medyo mas mababa... and they sell the demo units w/ additional 20-30% discount... napaghahalatang KURIPOT :-D

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »
any thoughts on an acoustic w/ koa body??? im thinking of getting one... parlor size :-)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:18:52 PM by farseer »

Offline GGBR

« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2007, 09:46:05 PM »
any thoughts on an acoustic w/ koa body??? im thinking of getting one... parlor size :-)

Good 'ol GOODALL from the land of Macadamia does wonders with that variety of Acacia! After all, he popularized the wood since he resides in the Ilocano state of HI. :-D You may also wish to look at Taylor's T5 and his new sets of K series. I received an news update more than a month ago where he shows his latest sets of this wood for his K & GS series (I believe). A guitar with top, sides & back all book-matched from the same flitch would be a stunner!

May I suggest looking into a Jumbo or SJ body to compensate for the hi midiness of the tonal range of the Koa so that you get also a bigger bottom? Unless you will mainly use the instrument for rhythm and vocal backups, then... But then, you may want to look into a Uke made of it since the instrument originates from there. Check out Jake Shimabokuro on the Youtube...Absolute virtuosity!!! He will inspire to get one!! Let your guitar (or rather Uke) gently weep!!

Have a good sound of an evening!
:-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #335 on: September 04, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »
hi everyone...i must say i spent the whole day in the office reading all the pages of this thread.  made me learn how much i still don't know about the acoustic guitar.  ever since high school, acoustic guitar player na ko, i don't know why.  parang nirereject ng fingers ko ang electric.  hehehe!  8-)

currently, i own an ovation tangent with op30 preamp and a zoom 504II acoustic.  it has done the job for me for the past 3 years (i'm 22!).  now that i'm starting to work, i think i can start to save for a good quality acoustic.  based on what i've read here, i know i'm a very long way from achieving a good acoustic sound.  and hirap mag-ipon eh!  hehehe!  :lol:

anyway, i'm planning on upgrading my gear.  i'm setting my eyes on a seagull s6 folk cedar.  i'm also planning to buy an AD-3 to back-up this guitar.  i'm more into fingerstyle and fingerpicking.  but i also do strumming since i also sing while playing.

please tell me what you think guys.  my target budget is PHP40k for the guitar.  any better suggestions?

thanks!  8-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline GGBR

« Reply #336 on: September 04, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
hi everyone...i must say i spent the whole day in the office reading all the pages of this thread.  made me learn how much i still don't know about the acoustic guitar.  ever since high school, acoustic guitar player na ko, i don't know why.  parang nirereject ng fingers ko ang electric.  hehehe!  8-)
currently, i own an ovation tangent with op30 preamp and a zoom 504II acoustic.  it has done the job for me for the past 3 years (i'm 22!).  now that i'm starting to work, i think i can start to save for a good quality acoustic.  based on what i've read here, i know i'm a very long way from achieving a good acoustic sound.  and hirap mag-ipon eh!  hehehe!  :lol:

anyway, i'm planning on upgrading my gear.  i'm setting my eyes on a seagull s6 folk cedar.  i'm also planning to buy an AD-3 to back-up this guitar.  i'm more into fingerstyle and fingerpicking.  but i also do strumming since i also sing while playing.

please tell me what you think guys.  my target budget is PHP40k for the guitar.  any better suggestions?

thanks!  8-)

HEY! SO AM I STILL LEARNING SO MUCH!! STILL DO NOT KNOW MANY THINGS I WOULD NEED TO.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEND A FORTUNE ON U.S. LABOR. THERE ARE A FEW KOREAN OR CHINA MADE ACOUSTICS WITH SOUNDS THAT CAN EQUAL THOSE OF THE THOUSAND $$ US COUNTERPARTS.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU KNOW THE SOUND THAT IT MUST CREATE FOR YOU (EXPOSURE); WHAT PARTICULAR STYLE OF PLAYING YOU DO STRUMMING, PLUCKING/FINGERPICKING; THE KIND OF MUSIC YOU PLAY (FOLK, BLUEGRASS, COUNTRY, ACOUSTIC SOLOS,ETC. ETC.)

LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN, AND LISTEN MORE...BEFORE DECIDING ON THE GUITAR SOUND FOR YOUR EARS AND FINGERS. THERE ARE BEAUTIFUL SOUNDING GUITARS IN THE MUSIC SHOPS IN THE POPULAR MALLS THAT ARE MADE IN ASIA. BUT ALWAYS CHECK, TRY IT, AND RE-CHECK. OR ASK ONE WHO IS QUITE FAMILIAR WITH GUITARS (HAVING A WIDE EXPOSURE & OF COURSE THE 'EAR'). LOOK AT THE TOP IF IT IS SOLID (CHECK THE SOUND HOLE EDGE FOR THIS) SPRUCE OR CEDAR, THE TOP PRODUCES 90% OF YOUR SOUND; CHECK THE SIDES/BACK, SOLID IS ALWAYS PREFERED TO PLY; ALWAYS CHECK THE NECK ANGLE TO THE BRIDGE ---BRING A STRAIGHT EGDE (24") AND LAY ITS EDGE ON THE FRETBOARD AND SLIDE IT TOWARDS, TILL IT TOUCHES THE BRIDGE, IDEALLY THE EGDE OF THE RULER SHOULD JUST SLIDE OVER THE TOP OF THE BRIDGE. IF IT POINTS DOWN (BELOW THE BRIDGE TOP ---OOOPS, SOMETHING MAY BE WRONG!), IF IT JUST A TAD BIT OVER THE TOP, IT STIL IS OK.

BUT CHECK, LISTEN , FEEL AND LISTEN.

YOU CAN EVEN START ON A BUDGET OF P7-8K FOR A CHINA/KOREAN GUITAR. AM CERTAIN YOU WILL GET MORE SUGGESTIONS AFTER THIS POST. HAVE A GOOD 'SOUND' OF AN AFTERNOON!!
:-)

Offline GGBR

« Reply #337 on: September 04, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »

thanks!  8-)

If you are in a shopping mode, I can personally assist you in your choice but send me a private message so we can schedule a visit to the store. If you know of an acoustic artist that might be personally known to me, then we might just be able to ask him to tag along to check out the candidate guitar so that we can all see if it's worth the buy!.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #338 on: September 04, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
Good 'ol GOODALL from the land of Macadamia does wonders with that variety of Acacia! After all, he popularized the wood since he resides in the Ilocano state of HI. :-D You may also wish to look at Taylor's T5 and his new sets of K series. I received an news update more than a month ago where he shows his latest sets of this wood for his K & GS series (I believe). A guitar with top, sides & back all book-matched from the same flitch would be a stunner!

May I suggest looking into a Jumbo or SJ body to compensate for the hi midiness of the tonal range of the Koa so that you get also a bigger bottom? Unless you will mainly use the instrument for rhythm and vocal backups, then... But then, you may want to look into a Uke made of it since the instrument originates from there. Check out Jake Shimabokuro on the Youtube...Absolute virtuosity!!! He will inspire to get one!! Let your guitar (or rather Uke) gently weep!!

Have a good sound of an evening!
:-D

I really want a Goodall, medyo kulang pa ang budget,,, ive tried a 30th anniv koa  taylor, stunning woods... but average only in the tone department.... im actually looking at a larrivee' koa parlor and a tacoma sj...

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #339 on: September 04, 2007, 05:45:04 PM »
HEY! SO AM I STILL LEARNING SO MUCH!! STILL DO NOT KNOW MANY THINGS I WOULD NEED TO.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEND A FORTUNE ON U.S. LABOR. THERE ARE A FEW KOREAN OR CHINA MADE ACOUSTICS WITH SOUNDS THAT CAN EQUAL THOSE OF THE THOUSAND $$ US COUNTERPARTS.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU KNOW THE SOUND THAT IT MUST CREATE FOR YOU (EXPOSURE); WHAT PARTICULAR STYLE OF PLAYING YOU DO STRUMMING, PLUCKING/FINGERPICKING; THE KIND OF MUSIC YOU PLAY (FOLK, BLUEGRASS, COUNTRY, ACOUSTIC SOLOS,ETC. ETC.)

LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN, AND LISTEN MORE...BEFORE DECIDING ON THE GUITAR SOUND FOR YOUR EARS AND FINGERS. THERE ARE BEAUTIFUL SOUNDING GUITARS IN THE MUSIC SHOPS IN THE POPULAR MALLS THAT ARE MADE IN ASIA. BUT ALWAYS CHECK, TRY IT, AND RE-CHECK. OR ASK ONE WHO IS QUITE FAMILIAR WITH GUITARS (HAVING A WIDE EXPOSURE & OF COURSE THE 'EAR'). LOOK AT THE TOP IF IT IS SOLID (CHECK THE SOUND HOLE EDGE FOR THIS) SPRUCE OR CEDAR, THE TOP PRODUCES 90% OF YOUR SOUND; CHECK THE SIDES/BACK, SOLID IS ALWAYS PREFERED TO PLY; ALWAYS CHECK THE NECK ANGLE TO THE BRIDGE ---BRING A STRAIGHT EGDE (24") AND LAY ITS EDGE ON THE FRETBOARD AND SLIDE IT TOWARDS, TILL IT TOUCHES THE BRIDGE, IDEALLY THE EGDE OF THE RULER SHOULD JUST SLIDE OVER THE TOP OF THE BRIDGE. IF IT POINTS DOWN (BELOW THE BRIDGE TOP ---OOOPS, SOMETHING MAY BE WRONG!), IF IT JUST A TAD BIT OVER THE TOP, IT STIL IS OK.

BUT CHECK, LISTEN , FEEL AND LISTEN.

YOU CAN EVEN START ON A BUDGET OF P7-8K FOR A CHINA/KOREAN GUITAR. AM CERTAIN YOU WILL GET MORE SUGGESTIONS AFTER THIS POST. HAVE A GOOD 'SOUND' OF AN AFTERNOON!!
:-)

thanks Sir GGBR for the very informative reply.  personally i don't know much about all-wood acoustic guitars since my two guitars are both ovations (the first is an applause i bought when i was in 1st yr HS).  i've always wanted an all-wood guitar but my 1st guitar (a Lumanog A/E) was punctured by my input jack when i accidentally tilted my guitar.   :cry: hehe!  pumasok ung jack sa loob nung input kaya nasira.  since then, i went for ovations para matibay.

i think i'm ready to handle an all-wood guitar again.  thanks for the great tips such as looking at the top and the sound hole, as well as bringing a 24" edge to check the neck!  i never thought of those!   8-)

thanks and i hope more will share their suggestions and comments!  more power!   8-)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #340 on: September 04, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »

thanks!  8-)

yeah... another acoustic enthusiast.... konti lang tayong naguusap usap dito... :-D, pati yun thread starter, mas electric na- :-D

if you have 40k, stay away from the seagull s6, look for a used martin, guild, gibson, larrivee, and maybe a taylor... i can help you out, just PM... :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #341 on: September 04, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »
If you are in a shopping mode, I can personally assist you in your choice but send me a private message so we can schedule a visit to the store. If you know of an acoustic artist that might be personally known to me, then we might just be able to ask him to tag along to check out the candidate guitar so that we can all see if it's worth the buy!.

thanks for the offer Sir GGBR!  but i think i'll be able to reach my target budget in at least 2-3 months.   8-)  i'm still not halfway in my savings.   :cry:

but many thanks for the offer sir!  i know some acoustic artists since i really watch their gigs during the boom of acoustic music and they also know me by name.  is it ok to mention their names in here?  hehehe!  :lol:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #342 on: September 04, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »
yeah... another acoustic enthusiast.... konti lang tayong naguusap usap dito... :-D, pati yun thread starter, mas electric na- :-D

if you have 40k, stay away from the seagull s6, look for a used martin, guild, gibson, larrivee, and maybe a taylor... i can help you out, just PM... :-)

thanks Sir Farseer for the suggestion!  but i'm really a little far from my target budget as of the moment.  i think it will take at least 2-3 months..  :cry:

si Sir Kulas mas electric na?  hehe! cguro kc mas mrami tlgang dimensions to explore sa electrics.  but i just can't get myself to use one for a whole gig.   :lol:  parang my fingers are not meant for an electric.   :-)

there are used high-end guitars here Sir Farseer?  when i was reading your thread, i was having the impression na nasa abroad ka...kasi ang gaganda ng mga guitars mo and u get to try guitars that can only be bought outside the philippines.  mukhang maganda nga ung suggestion to get used martins instead of a brand new seagull.  pero ndi ba ok ang seagull since canadian made naman?

thanks again!  8-)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #343 on: September 04, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
My favorite acoustic is my Yamaha CGX-111SCA  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #344 on: September 04, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
My favorite acoustic is my Yamaha CGX-111SCA  :-D

ganda ng guitar sir!  mukhang freshly-bought pa kasi may mga tali pa sa floors!   :-D

mga bros, alam nyo ba ung latest na nilabas ng yamaha for acoustic guitars?  ung APX/CPX 900?  i dropped by yupangco just recently and i saw their new editions of the APX/CPX on display.  these guitars have two sub-pickups designed specifically to capture the low and high frequencies nung guitar.  tpos meron pang main pickup for the master volume and a 3-band eq.  looks promising dba?  but i haven't tried one dun sa store yet.  and the price of the guitar is around 40k.   8-)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »

ganda ng guitar sir!  mukhang freshly-bought pa kasi may mga tali pa sa floors!   :-D

mga bros, alam nyo ba ung latest na nilabas ng yamaha for acoustic guitars?  ung APX/CPX 900?  i dropped by yupangco just recently and i saw their new editions of the APX/CPX on display.  these guitars have two sub-pickups designed specifically to capture the low and high frequencies nung guitar.  tpos meron pang main pickup for the master volume and a 3-band eq.  looks promising dba?  but i haven't tried one dun sa store yet.  and the price of the guitar is around 40k.   8-)

Ok siya pare, pero the piezo sounds kinda "plastic" if you know what i mean. My CGX is a good alternative, though  :-D Also check out the CX na may piezo for a cheaper alternative  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2007, 06:48:47 PM »
Ok siya pare, pero the piezo sounds kinda "plastic" if you know what i mean. My CGX is a good alternative, though  :-D Also check out the CX na may piezo for a cheaper alternative  :-D

ah tlga?  kc the idea of a sub-pickup for low and high is really promising eh.   :-D  ganda pakinggan pag sinabi eh...hehehe!   :lol:

nylon ang CGX mo dba sir?  8-)

Offline audioslave

« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »
ako gusto ko ng solid cedar yung top malamig ang tunog takaw dings and dent nga lang kahit kuko mo babaon
bleh bleh bleh

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »

thanks Sir Farseer for the suggestion!  but i'm really a little far from my target budget as of the moment.  i think it will take at least 2-3 months..  :cry:

si Sir Kulas mas electric na?  hehe! cguro kc mas mrami tlgang dimensions to explore sa electrics.  but i just can't get myself to use one for a whole gig.   :lol:  parang my fingers are not meant for an electric.   :-)

there are used high-end guitars here Sir Farseer?  when i was reading your thread, i was having the impression na nasa abroad ka...kasi ang gaganda ng mga guitars mo and u get to try guitars that can only be bought outside the philippines.  mukhang maganda nga ung suggestion to get used martins instead of a brand new seagull.  pero ndi ba ok ang seagull since canadian made naman?

thanks again!  8-)

3 yrs ago i was able to get a martin 00016rgte (may top crack) for 37k and a martin 00015 mint cond for 30k... marami pang ibang examples, like a gibson j100 extra brand new from rj for only 35k, and a used gibson blues king for 35k.... at present medyo mas mahal na pasahan.... but w/ 40k, i think you can get an all solid guitar na... yun seagull na minention mo uses cherry as back and sides... not really typical... ive also tried a higher end seagull (artist series ata), i wast impressed... matigas tumunog :-)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2007, 09:04:40 PM »

ah tlga?  kc the idea of a sub-pickup for low and high is really promising eh.   :-D  ganda pakinggan pag sinabi eh...hehehe!   :lol:

nylon ang CGX mo dba sir?  8-)

Yes

When i bought it i practiced classical 7 hours a day from that day onwards  :-D