hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1169430 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #375 on: September 05, 2007, 02:59:03 PM »
Sir Kulas, sbi mo sa mga previous posts mo you prefer dreadnought sa acoustics?  ano po ba difference nya sa grand auditorium styles when plugged?   8-)

i visited the taylor website and i'm eyeing the 210e or 214e.  the 210e is a dread while the 214e is grand audi.  solid sitka spruce top and laminated indian rosewood.  what do you people think of the wood?  what sound can these types of wood produce?   :?

@Sir Poundcake, ok din ung suggestion nyo for the 2nd hand 310e.  kaya lang wala pa kong cash.  thanks po for the info!  8-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline Kulas

« Reply #376 on: September 05, 2007, 10:55:55 PM »
Sir Kulas, sbi mo sa mga previous posts mo you prefer dreadnought sa acoustics?  ano po ba difference nya sa grand auditorium styles when plugged?   8-)

i visited the taylor website and i'm eyeing the 210e or 214e.  the 210e is a dread while the 214e is grand audi.  solid sitka spruce top and laminated indian rosewood.  what do you people think of the wood?  what sound can these types of wood produce?   :?

@Sir Poundcake, ok din ung suggestion nyo for the 2nd hand 310e.  kaya lang wala pa kong cash.  thanks po for the info!  8-)

no it's not that i prefer dreadnoughts over other body shapes, i actually like the OM shape eh, hehe. si farseer ang mahilig sa big bodied acoustics, hehe. plugged in, halos pare-pareho na nalg tumunog yung mga yan, unless may internal condenser mic yung mga pickup systems nila.

hmm, might i advise against the 100/200 series taylors? hindi naman sa panget sila. but if you're going for the big brands then get a solid topped/laminated back/sides one, might as well buy ibanez artwoods na lang or the takamines at JBmusic. if you're going high end, go for the real deal na, yung solid top/back/sides. big difference i tell you. don't shell out the big bucks for a semi-solid acoustic which happens to have a brand name on it. try to save some more and buy at least a 500 series taylor, or a 16 series martin. or even a blueridge guitar, hehe.

sa woods naman...

spruce tops tend to be bright, cedar tops are mostly warmer. mahogany back and sides are more punchy and tight sounding, rosewood back and sides are darker, bigger sounding.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #377 on: September 06, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »
no it's not that i prefer dreadnoughts over other body shapes, i actually like the OM shape eh, hehe. si farseer ang mahilig sa big bodied acoustics, hehe. plugged in, halos pare-pareho na nalg tumunog yung mga yan, unless may internal condenser mic yung mga pickup systems nila.

hmm, might i advise against the 100/200 series taylors? hindi naman sa panget sila. but if you're going for the big brands then get a solid topped/laminated back/sides one, might as well buy ibanez artwoods na lang or the takamines at JBmusic. if you're going high end, go for the real deal na, yung solid top/back/sides. big difference i tell you. don't shell out the big bucks for a semi-solid acoustic which happens to have a brand name on it. try to save some more and buy at least a 500 series taylor, or a 16 series martin. or even a blueridge guitar, hehe.

sa woods naman...

spruce tops tend to be bright, cedar tops are mostly warmer. mahogany back and sides are more punchy and tight sounding, rosewood back and sides are darker, bigger sounding.

thanks so much Sir Kulas!  i'm currently researching the best and less expensive combination for me.  i'm assessing my options if i'm going to go for a pure acoustic tpos external nalang ang preamp or to go for an acoustic/electric.

thanks acoustic gurus!  more power to us!   8-)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
haha, nahilig nga ako sa dreads... because of their big sound :-D... but right now im more into the small jumbo design... mas nagagamit ko yun gibson the everly and the lowden f32... more balance, big sounding ang low/mid/high... unlike the martin D41 and guild F50 na accentuated talaga yun lows, na ooverpower yun highs... :-D

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #379 on: September 07, 2007, 11:57:36 AM »
eh sir farseer, anong masasabi mo sa mga parlor guitars na kapantay ng 12th fret yung dugtong ng neck at body? adam levi, guitarist ni norah jones uses a dread and a parlor, both martin; and he explained na malaki ang difference nila sa tone na napo-produce.
(bili ka na kasi ng parlor na pre-war martin.......)  :-D
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #380 on: September 07, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
baka bumili ako ng larrivee na parlour... tight tumunog yan mga maliliit, kulang lang sa bass...

wala pang pambili ng prewar martin :-D

Offline Kulas

« Reply #381 on: September 07, 2007, 01:37:08 PM »
wala pang pambili ng prewar martin :-D

pero meron kang santa cruz, hahaha!

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #382 on: September 07, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
@farseer. you might wanna check on "Norah Jones and the Handsome Band: Live In 2004 DVD" may extras dun, yung "Robbie and Adam’s Guitar Tour". pinapakita nila lahat ng gitara nila dun, and what they use them for. I'm very particular with Adam Levy's equipment, dahil sobrang specific nya sa tonality ng mga gamit nya. he uses a parlor na Martin mostly sa live performances at sa recordings. ginagamit lang nya yung dread nya na Martin kapag kailangan nyang mag-capo, para mas madaling gumalaw sa neck. check nyo website nya, http://www.adamlevy.com, daming goodies, or sa youtube, using keywords "norah jones and the handsome band".

BTW, he uses his acoustic guitars on a Roland JC120. sarrrrraaaaaap....  8-)
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline GGBR

« Reply #383 on: September 07, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »

thanks so much Sir Kulas!  i'm currently researching the best and less expensive combination for me.  i'm assessing my options if i'm going to go for a pure acoustic tpos external nalang ang preamp or to go for an acoustic/electric.

thanks acoustic gurus!  more power to us!   8-)

MAXI,

SINCE STILL UNSURE/SEEKING, DO GO FOR AN INEXPENSIVE ACOUSTIC (<15K??) INITIALLY BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE TIME BEFORE YOU GET TO KNOW 'THE ACOUSTIC SOUND' AND WHAT WILL DEFINE YOUR PERSONAL ACOUSTIC TASTE (WOODS & SHAPE - DREAD, J, SJ, OM, OO, PARLOR). YOUR INITIAL INVESTMENT WILL 'GET YOUR FEET WET' SO TO SPEAK AND AVOID THE PITFALLS/MONEY LOSS OF UNKNOWN TERRITORY. IN THE LONG RUN IT WILL ALLOW WISER DECISIONS AND THE RIGHTFUL GUITAR FOR YOUR HANDS & EARS. ---SATISFACTION!
I FORGOT TO MENTION AN "UNKNOWN PLACE" :roll: :-D WHICH THE 'OLDIES' HAVE RELIED ON FOR PRO EQUIPMENT; THEY HAVE THE LOWER PRICED CHINA/KOREAN INSTRUMENTS IN STOCK. DO CALL CAROL OR CARLITOS BENAVIDES (KNOWN BY MOST SENYORS AND ARTISTES AND RECORDING INDUSTRY) TEL 7246138/7252847 FILICOM SOUNDS.
THEY WERE FOR AWHILE THE APPOINTED TAYLOR DISTRIBUTORS HERE, IN THE '90s
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:09:37 AM by GGBR »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
@farseer. you might wanna check on "Norah Jones and the Handsome Band: Live In 2004 DVD" may extras dun, yung "Robbie and Adam’s Guitar Tour". pinapakita nila lahat ng gitara nila dun, and what they use them for. I'm very particular with Adam Levy's equipment, dahil sobrang specific nya sa tonality ng mga gamit nya. he uses a parlor na Martin mostly sa live performances at sa recordings. ginagamit lang nya yung dread nya na Martin kapag kailangan nyang mag-capo, para mas madaling gumalaw sa neck. check nyo website nya, http://www.adamlevy.com, daming goodies, or sa youtube, using keywords "norah jones and the handsome band".

BTW, he uses his acoustic guitars on a Roland JC120. sarrrrraaaaaap....  8-)

I like both guitarist... i watched them live couple of years ago... galing... mahilig sila sa twang guitars (tele, gretsch) may national pa na acoustic... :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2007, 12:11:16 PM »
MAXI,

SINCE STILL UNSURE/SEEKING, DO GO FOR AN INEXPENSIVE ACOUSTIC (<15K??) INITIALLY BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE TIME BEFORE YOU GET TO KNOW 'THE ACOUSTIC SOUND' AND WHAT WILL DEFINE YOUR PERSONAL ACOUSTIC TASTE (WOODS & SHAPE - DREAD, J, SJ, OM, OO, PARLOR). YOUR INITIAL INVESTMENT WILL 'GET YOUR FEET WET' SO TO SPEAK AND AVOID THE PITFALLS/MONEY LOSS OF UNKNOWN TERRITORY. IN THE LONG RUN IT WILL ALLOW WISER DECISIONS AND THE RIGHTFUL GUITAR FOR YOUR HANDS & EARS. ---SATISFACTION!
I FORGOT TO MENTION AN "UNKNOWN PLACE" :roll: :-D WHICH THE 'OLDIES' HAVE RELIED ON FOR PRO EQUIPMENT; THEY HAVE THE LOWER PRICED CHINA/KOREAN INSTRUMENTS IN STOCK. DO CALL CAROL OR CARLITOS BENAVIDES (KNOWN BY MOST SENYORS AND ARTISTES AND RECORDING INDUSTRY) TEL 7246138/7252847 FILICOM SOUNDS.
THEY WERE FOR AWHILE THE APPOINTED TAYLOR DISTRIBUTORS HERE, IN THE '90s

thanks sir GGBR!  i might try out the less expensive ones first before i go to the big names...i have some friends in singapore and i'll ask them to check out the guitar prices there.  as of the moment, i think i'm gonna get an AD-3 to enhance the plugged sound of my ovation while i'm still searching for a good all-wood acoustic.  thanks for the advice!

@ sir farseer,
thanks for the offer.  i will have to set my budget first before i can look at the used guitar market.

@ sir kulas,
thanks for all the advice!  u shared so much knowledge to me sa thread na to!

more power to us!  8-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #386 on: September 11, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
ei guys...mukhang wala nang masyadong nagpopost d2.   :cry:

anyway, i just want to share with you guys what happened when i visited yupancgo yesterday.

i arrived at yupangco after work at around 6:30pm.  store hours pala nila dun is 8am-6pm lang.  kahit ganito ung case, they still allowed us (i was with my sister who is looking for keyboards) to enter the store.  i was impressed with the staff there kasi even though closed na sila, they still attended to our questions and our sound checks.  KUDOS TO YUPANGCO for this!   8-)

anyway, i visited yupangco becasue i'm planning to buy a Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb.  i figured that if i can't get a good guitar, i might as well beef-up the plugged sound of my ovation through good effects.  i'm planning to get the RV-5 on saturday.  sabi sa yupangco, baka daw mag-sale sila come october.  i'm planning to follow up the RV-5 with a CH-1 Super Chorus.

any comments from the gurus?  thanks and let's keep this thread going.  8-)

Offline EMFTBMD

« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2007, 06:20:07 PM »
A good pedal for acoustic guitars would be the Fishman Aura pedals.  I bought one recently for my Godin acoustic nylon string guitar. The guitar sounds phenomenal with the effect. It enhances the sound of the guitar without altering its tone. I have tried several other pedals ( compressors, delay, chorus)  to enhance my acoustic tone but I have not been pleased with the results until I bought this one. Check this out as you are better off with this one than a reverb pedal. You can use your acoustic amp or PA system for your reverb.

Check fishman's web site for further info: http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=92

Offline paquitz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2007, 11:24:19 PM »
Up ko lang. Dami ko natutunan dito about acoustic guitar. Baka may gusto pa idagdag mga masters  :-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »
A good pedal for acoustic guitars would be the Fishman Aura pedals.  I bought one recently for my Godin acoustic nylon string guitar. The guitar sounds phenomenal with the effect. It enhances the sound of the guitar without altering its tone. I have tried several other pedals ( compressors, delay, chorus)  to enhance my acoustic tone but I have not been pleased with the results until I bought this one. Check this out as you are better off with this one than a reverb pedal. You can use your acoustic amp or PA system for your reverb.

Check fishman's web site for further info: http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=92

thanks for the advice sir!  i know the Fishman Auras but i don't know if they are available here in the Philippines.  i still don't have the means to go out of the country to buy good quality gear so i have to settle for what's right here and easy to purchase as of the now.  :|

just some questions sir.  where were you able to buy your Fishman Aura and how much is it?  so that i know kung pano ako magsave.   :lol:

maybe as i go along and i can save enough money to go out of the country, i will get a better quality pedal for my acoustic.   8-)

Offline GGBR

« Reply #390 on: September 15, 2007, 12:59:16 AM »
thanks for the advice sir!  i know the Fishman Auras but i don't know if they are available here in the Philippines.  i still don't have the means to go out of the country to buy good quality gear so i have to settle for what's right here and easy to purchase as of the now.  :|

just some questions sir.  where were you able to buy your Fishman Aura and how much is it?  so that i know kung pano ako magsave.   :lol:

maybe as i go along and i can save enough money to go out of the country, i will get a better quality pedal for my acoustic.   8-)

LONG TERM LOOK AT GETTING THE PERSONUS ACOUTI Q, AURAL EXCITER, (CHECK IF STILL IN THE MARKET THOUGH), D-TAR's (COLLABORATION OF RICK TURNER & S. DUNCAN) SOLSTICE OR MAMA BEAR PREAMPS (VERY SALEABLE- IN THE USA), HIGHLANDERS PREAMPS OR THE LR BAGGS. THE LATER PREAMPS HAVE SUCCEEDED TASTES OF MANY ACOUSTIC GUITARISTS. ULTIMATE THOUGH IS THE PENDULUM SPS-1 ACOUSTIC PREAMP!! THIS IS A RATHER BIG INVESTMENT KASI HI-END PRO NA.

TRY A LESS COSTLY SET UP WHICH CAN RIVAL PROS - USE A PRESONUS TUBEPRE BUT REPLACE THE STANDARD AX12 PREAMP TUBE WITH A REPUTABLE ONE THEN COUPLED WITH ANOTHER INEXPENSIVE EFFECTS SUCH AS THE NANOVERB OR PICOVERB OR QUADVERB OF ALESIS!! THIS SHOULD GIVE YOU A PRO HEADSTART. NO BS! :wink:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 12:54:04 PM by GGBR »

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #391 on: September 15, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
LONG TERM LOOK AT GETTING THE PERSONUS ACOUTI Q, AURAL EXCITER, (CHECK IF STILL IN THE MARKET THOUGH), D-TAR's (COLLABORATION OF RICK TURNER & I-FORGOT-WHO) SOLSTICE OR MAMA BEAR PREAMPS (VERY SALEABLE- IN THE USA), HIGHLANDERS PREAMPS OR THE LR BAGGS. THE LATER PREAMPS HAVE SUCCEEDED TASTES OF MANY ACOUSTIC GUITARIST. ULTIMATE THOUGH IS THE PENDULUM SPS-1 ACOUSTIC PREAMP!! THIS IS A RATHER BIG INVESTMENT THOUGH MEDYO PRO NA.

TRY A LESS COSTLY SET UP WHICH CAN RIVAL PROS - USE A PRESONUS TUBEPRE BUT REPLACE THE STANDARD AX12 PREAMP TUBE WITH A REPUTABLE ONE THEN COUPLED WITH ANOTHER INEXPENSIVE EFFECTS SUCH AS THE NANOVERB OR PICOVERB OR QUADVERB OF ALESIS!! THIS SHOULD GIVE YOU A PRO HEADSTART. NO BS! :wink:

sir GGBR, dumaan ako sa clinic ni Doc nung wednesday kaso ndi ko sya inabutan!  hehe!  forgot to leave my calling card din..though i was able to get his calling card.  hehe!  we talked wednesday afternoon and he advised me against getting the Boss RV-5.  dapat kasi bibili na ko today nun...if not for his advice, siguro nagsayang na ko ng 10k.  hehehe!  sobrang laki daw kasi ng markup dun sa bibilan ko na store.

right now i was able to talk with my cousin na based sa singapore...he can get a lr baggs para acoustic DI for me there and papadala nalang nya d2 sa pinas next month.  much more affordable compared to the RV-5.  i'm really pushing na makuha ko na this month un or early next month para magamit ko na sa gigs...  8-)

Offline GGBR

« Reply #392 on: September 15, 2007, 01:15:38 PM »
right now i was able to talk with my cousin na based sa singapore...he can get a lr baggs para acoustic DI for me there and papadala nalang nya d2 sa pinas next month.  much more affordable compared to the RV-5.  i'm really pushing na makuha ko na this month un or early next month para magamit ko na sa gigs...  8-)

IF NOT MUCH MORE...ASK HIM TO CHECK OUT (RESEARCH THE WEB AS WELL)  D-TAR's SOLSTICE OR MAMA BEAR...YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING MUCH MORE GOING THERE FOR YOU.

Offline fade2black0520

• Veteran Member
« Reply #393 on: September 15, 2007, 01:32:20 PM »
ok po ba tunog ng ibanez aeg and aes series acoustics? medyo thin ang body nya na may built in tuner/eq.
Samick 15W practice amp - Marshall MG15R - jazz 3 picks

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #394 on: September 15, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »

IF NOT MUCH MORE...ASK HIM TO CHECK OUT (RESEARCH THE WEB AS WELL)  D-TAR's SOLSTICE OR MAMA BEAR...YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING MUCH MORE GOING THERE FOR YOU.

cge po i'll search kung available sa singapore ung mama bear.  but price-wise, comparable ba sya dun sa baggs DI?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #395 on: September 15, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »
ok po ba tunog ng ibanez aeg and aes series acoustics? medyo thin ang body nya na may built in tuner/eq.

hindi pa po ako ganun ka-exposed sa mga ibanez acoustics sir...pero based sa mga gurus, basta nasa type lang ng woods..and the most important is solid wood ung top nya..ndi laminated.  :-D

Offline Kulas

« Reply #396 on: September 15, 2007, 02:52:57 PM »

NO!

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #397 on: September 15, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »

cge po i'll search kung available sa singapore ung mama bear.  but price-wise, comparable ba sya dun sa baggs DI?

pareho kami, mama bear din...

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2007, 11:09:55 PM »
NO!

+1 i felt the tone was kind of unsatisfactory  :| Not very bright too...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2007, 11:58:07 PM »

Olats yan men. Mag-Yamaha ka na lang kaysa sa Ibanez :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20