hulika

Author Topic: Help! How to produce prolonged sustained notes even if you use noisegate??  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
With out using a delay or reverb, how can i produced a prolonged sustained notes??  Even if i use a noise gate?? Is there a possibility that i can produce such note?? Without stuttering sound when the sustained note fades out.. Thanks
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Help! How to produce prolonged sustained notes even if you use noisegate??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »
Get a better noise gate? Or turn it off when sustaining a note, then turn back on for silence. So far the only noise gate I've seen to pull off a smooth sustain with no cutting out is an ISP Decimator II G-String, but that's almost 4 times the price of an NS-2.

Offline electromark

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 02:13:07 AM »
try to use fernandes sustainer pickup. :)

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:28:18 AM »
try to use fernandes sustainer pickup. :)

magiging active pickups ka pag gnito. wala naman issue kung preferred mo active pups. pero tama ung advise na off ang noise gate kung need ng sustain.
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »
thank you so much sa reply... more opinions please.. thanks :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
Get a better noise gate? Or turn it off when sustaining a note, then turn back on for silence. So far the only noise gate I've seen to pull off a smooth sustain with no cutting out is an ISP Decimator II G-String, but that's almost 4 times the price of an NS-2.

eto na yan. kaya I always advise against noise gates. then again, delay paps. yan lang talga makakasagot sa problema mo ngayon. delay after the gate.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:23:20 PM »
thank you so much sa reply... more opinions please.. thanks :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

NS-2 gamit mo ano? Use the loop option as detailed in the manual, and adjust your decay and threshold until the strings are sensitive enough to open the gate with slight taps on the guitar body, but completely quiet when you're doing nothing. Kung ginawa mo na itong lahat at hindi pa rin umuubra yung decay ng note mo, you should either find out the real cause of your noise issues (often cables and/or guitar electronics), or buy a better noise gate.

Edit: with the way you're describing your note decay problem, it sounds like you're using a multi-effects pedal's built in gate. If so, then you're out of luck. AFAIK Nothing short of an Axe FX II or similar makes a decent built-in gate that does clean sustain.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:26:39 PM by lolwat »

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 12:51:20 AM »
Noise gates work by muting any signal (noise or not) below the set threshold. Check you guitar wiring and get better cables. Sometimes a better drive pedal will help too. Once you have those, you can then set the threshold low enough to allow notes to sustain longer.

Yung mga bands like Periphery use Noise gates not because their signal is noisy (kahit tanggalin nila yun malinis parin), but they use it to tighten and emphasize their staccato riffs.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:30:41 PM »
Aside from what has been said, try putting a compressor before gain.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html