hulika

Author Topic: ADDING RAM CAN MAKE YOUR PC'S FASTER?  (Read 10310 times)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ADDING RAM CAN MAKE YOUR PC'S FASTER?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
for me if you really have limited budget and cant buy an extra mem stick on an upgrade.... do a regualr defragmentation, chesk disk, clean the registry using a registry cleaner software.
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline chadrhix

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 09:42:40 PM »
programs and applications will load faster.. as much as possible get the GB capacity para future proof..
mas ok ang sobra kesa kulang :)
Bonzter= bad deal experience 09232752821
Thisischano = Joybuyer 09175466595 

https://www.facebook.com/CxBags

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
Hmmm...Regarding PC's RAM, HD, at Processor Speed:

Sa isang opisina (PC), mayroong:
File Cabinet na lalagyan ng mga folders/files --HD
Lamesa -- RAM
Bilis ng taong magttrabaho--Processor Speed..

Kahit anong laki ng file cabinet (HD), at bilis ng taong gagawa (Processor Speed) kung maliit naman ang lamesa (RAM), konti lang din ang matatapos na trabaho at a time. So Kung malaki ang lamesa (RAM), mas maraming trabaho/folders/files (applications) ang kaya gawin at the same time... :-D

Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »

Lamesa -- RAM

Kahit anong laki ng file cabinet (HD), at bilis ng taong gagawa (Processor Speed) kung maliit naman ang lamesa (RAM), konti lang din ang matatapos na trabaho at a time. So Kung malaki ang lamesa (RAM), mas maraming trabaho/folders/files (applications) ang kaya gawin at the same time... :-D

nice description bro

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »
thanks! 8-)
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline chadrhix

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 07:32:31 AM »

Lamesa -- RAM

nice.. in short.. bottleneck  :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 09:59:46 AM »
Sometimes the hard disk is the biggest bottleneck. The cpu spends most of it's time waiting for data from ram which in turn has to be loaded from HD. Kung mabagal ang data throughput ng HD, increasing ram won't matter very much. That's why 10,000 rpm Raptors were created.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
DDR yung atleast PC333, 2x256mb or 2x512mb

Adding more ram will not make your processor faster, but it will make program access faster (since the pc uses the HD swap file less) and you can have more programs in ram; and we all know that ram access is way faster that HD access.

The easiest way to spot if you need more ram is to open Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) when you seem to experience a slowdown. Look at the peak in Commit Charge and compare it to your total Physical Memory. If at any time the Peak Commit Charge is greater than the Total Memory, that means your pc is accessing the HD swap file more often than it is ram. This is an indication that you should increase your ram.

You can always optimize your system for faster access. For ex., locate the swap file at the fastest hard drive in your system, assuming you have more than one drive. Some even partition their HD's and make sure the swap file is in the partition that uses the outside edge of the HD platter (the fastest portion of the HD and also the fastest data throughtput); some even dedicate that partition to the swap file. You can use Sisoft Sandra to run benchmarks on your HD's to determine your fastest drive. One more thing, run defrag regularly; a fragmented HD will slow down your system considerably.

Kit, valuable info as usual :) i checked the peak commit thing on my home pc just now and yes the peak is higher than the total.  my pc is a pentium 1.7Ghz with only 256 SDRAM. jologs but i will never hook up my DAW pc on the net, ever. (the pprospect of ruining my precious files send shivers up my spine) so this one is for home computing purposes.  anyhow, the ram is pc 133.  it is also possible to use ddr's on my board.  do you uggest i buy a 512 sdram to get a total of 768MB sdram.  or would it be better to get a 512 ddr and ditch the 256 sdram instead?  thanks :)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 12:10:55 AM »
Sometimes the hard disk is the biggest bottleneck. The cpu spends most of it's time waiting for data from ram which in turn has to be loaded from HD. Kung mabagal ang data throughput ng HD, increasing ram won't matter very much. That's why 10,000 rpm Raptors were created.

Wow! Meron na palang HD na 10k rpm..cool!
OT: KitC, thanks nga pala dun sa mga reco mo abt headphones sa kabilang thread. Ayos nakabili nako ng Senn HD280.  8-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 02:45:08 AM »
Wow! Meron na palang HD na 10k rpm..cool!
OT: KitC, thanks nga pala dun sa mga reco mo abt headphones sa kabilang thread. Ayos nakabili nako ng Senn HD280.  8-)

Yeah... the Raptors are cool... I mean hot... I mean... (marvinq, you know what I mean).  Seriously, you pay top peso for HDs that run at that speed pero the capacities leave much to be desired... stick to plain drives if you don't do a lot of sampling that require hard disk streaming.

@SDMF- Much obliged. The HD280's are really good cans. It's a shame that the earpads and headband are not so tolerant of Philippines climate, unfortunately. Either way, with the great separation, they make very good headphones for vocal tracking and dubbing.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline chadrhix

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 07:20:50 AM »
current price of 10k rpms..

10k RPM 150mb/sec SATA

36GB 10000rpm 5600php
74GB 10000rpm 8500php
150GB 10000rpm 12500php

gusto ko nito..... hehe
750GB ES 7200.1 24700php

expensive ..
but if you need it.. what the heck its.. 10k rpms :mrgreen:

Offline TINKYWINKY

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 06:19:18 PM »
it would be better if you will upgrade your processor and harddrive as well
Tinky Winky is in love with Dipsy. It is probable that they had an affair, or at least a sexual liason, at some point in the past. Sadly, Dipsy is no longer interested.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »
na try niyo na ba mag array ng 2 SATA drives ?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 03:12:18 AM »
na try niyo na ba mag array ng 2 SATA drives ?

ako... yupyup

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 03:29:14 AM »
nkapag support na ko ng ganyan.. cust has 2 sata hard drives at 500gb each so that would be 1 terabyte. i configured it to raid 0 (stripe) for beter performance.. sarap sana kung ganun din pc ko..  :-)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 04:20:05 PM by Indie_Boy »