hulika

Author Topic: Anyone tried JHS sweet tea?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline SimplengGitarista

• Veteran Member
Anyone tried JHS sweet tea?
« on: October 13, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
So earlier i had my strings changed at a local shop. I know i can do it myself but with a floyd rose, i'd rather have a professional do it for me.
Anyway, i have been seeing a lot of raving reviews about the sovereign pedal here in PM so I thought i try it out on my newly restringed guitar. Another guy was testing some other distortion. When i asked the rep that i wanna try the sovereign out, he attached it along with what the guy was testing. The guy was facing away from me so i had no clue which pedal he was using when he was switching pedals. I thought the first one sounded good. I said that might be the sovereign. Well, when it was my turn, i realised he was using the JHS sweet tea. Very punchy and notes sing out well with it. I still tried the sovereign though. Didnt like it at first chug so i fiddled with it and said "meh,i like the jhs a lot better".
The jhs sweet tea is a 2 in one pedal.
Right side is a jhs-808 circuit. More like a very transparent overdrive. It sounds good for someone who goes for such sounds but for me, it lacks a bit of the hairy range. A good thing though is that you can combine it with the left side distortion pedal which actually caught my attention. The left side is inspired by the good ol' jcm800. Best key factor of this side is that it is "again" very punchy and notes are very articulate. Also, turning it off makes someone think that its just another channel of the amp. I lowered the volume of my guitar and oh my! It cleans sweetly as if it were an overdrive pedal!

I was able to compare the distortion side to it's standalone counterpart(angry charlie). While it claims to be the same circuitry, a trained ear can easily detect that the 2 in 1 has more presence and low end. The pedal is just screaming at me "buy me! Buy me!" Haha. It wasnt my plan to buy anything so i had to sadly leave without it. But now, i wanna research more about it and the company that made it. A good pedal for me is something that inspires me to play. This pedal just makes me want to play the more i use it.

Anyway, enough of my long story. I wanna know if any of you guys have tried this and how your experience was.
"It is better to have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it" - Michael Angelo Batio

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Anyone tried JHS sweet tea?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Interesting. I've been curious about the Angry charlie for a few months now and you mentioning that you preferred the sweet tea over the Sovereign is , for me, very tempting :-)

I actually read somewhere that the Angry charlie is just a Crunchbox clone. But from listening to clips i find that it sounds different.  So with that being said I'll be watching this thread as well for folks who've had the sweet tea or the angry charlie. I'm still on the lookout for a very good JCM 800 sounding pedal. :-)

Offline toybitz

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
i listened to the clips.

the JHS 808, I'm not sure, it's decent, but not for me.

...but the JCM800 side, ah...that's another story.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
I hope this is not too much of a threadjack but...i was planning on getting the angry charlie. but i've read the controversies regarding JHS's reputation of cloning existing pedals and putting a higher price tag and poor build qualitiy so i put it on hold.  If it is indeed a crunchbox clone mas maraming mas affordable.  But listening to clips i still like how it sounds.  so i'm still considering it.   

here's a nice comparison
JHS Angry Charlie
MI Audio Crunchbox

And if the Sweet tea has a better sounding Angry Charlie....well that means i need to save up a lot more.  :money:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:20:46 PM by Taoistguitarist »

Offline marcopolo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
ang past tense po ng restring ay restrung..hindi restringed..peace out..

Offline avatar

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
Just purchased a sweet tea a few days ago. The Angry Charlie side is awesome, tons of gain but still very musical. Also I noticed its not as compressed as most pedals in its category. The 808 side is just a smoother version of the typical TS808 but isn't as thin sounding. I really like the toggle that allows you to  switch which channel comes first in the chain. Both channels sound good when stacked together or stacked with another OD pedal (I tested mine with a JHS modded SoulFood and a Danelectro Transparent OD).

I am a fan of the Super Crunchbox (I owned one as well) and I can say that while they do sound close, they are not the same. The SCB probably has more headroom (because its really 18v under the hood) plus has more clipping options, but the Sweet Tea (Angry Charlie) just gives you one really use-able dirt sound,a little more bottom-end and a  more open sound (but I think its because it doesn't compress the signal as much as the SCB).
Both SCB and Sweet Tea cleans up really nice when you roll the vol. pot down. I hope that helps.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:46:49 AM by avatar »

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Here's a very amateur home recording using the sweet tea and emma reeza. Solos were played w/ sweet tea.

http://soundcloud.com/redmjay/masdan-mo-ang-kapaligiran

Malamang it doesn't do justice to how hood the sweet tea sounds.