hulika

Author Topic: IS THE PHILS. READY FOR RNB??  (Read 33332 times)

Offline jay4roca

• Philmusicus Noobitus
IS THE PHILS. READY FOR RNB??
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
Why dont we have that much RnB Artists in the Philippines such as Usher, Mario, Cris Brown etc.?

What would you say if there's a RnB album coming out (just Pinoy Singer)?

I think Jay-R is doing a great job and e.g Kyla ... !!

Actually we got a lot pinoy -ay RnB Singers like Nicole Scherziger, Cassie etc...
But where are the artists straight hailing from the Phils.?

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
Re: IS THE PHILS. READY FOR RNB??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
Just like any genre, all forms of music just come and go...

That's the thing with music here, pag di na uso..wala nang tumatangkilik.

I remember way back when rnb was the name of the game...when South Border, Passage, MIke Luis, K 24/7 and the rest of the rnb movement was se;ling like hotcakes.    Everyone was into them like they were into the likes of Babyface, Ushe4r, Boyz II Men, 112, and other foreign rnb acts. Blackstreet was then hardrock cafe's national anthem with Dont leave and I wanna be your man. And MYMP was still a full band.

If you're asking me,. we're very much ready..kaya lng the music producers got tired of it coz they think its not making money. They focused their energies more on the local alt bands because of the masa appeal.

Pasalamt nalng tau at me pinoy soul movement..its a way of making rnb music alive.

"Practice makes perfect."

Offline jay4roca

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »
oh yeah you're damn ryt!

thats what everybody told me ... rnb aint pang masa anymore :-(

actually i want to release a rnb VA album in phils. so im wondering if it can come back to the old rnb days..??

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
oh yeah you're damn ryt!

thats what everybody told me ... rnb aint pang masa anymore :-(

actually i want to release a rnb VA album in phils. so im wondering if it can come back to the old rnb days..??

just make sure you have a straight tongue when you sing tagalog rnb songs...not like those annoying "balu-baluktot" pinoy rnb singers... :-) :wink:
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline makinao

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »
In my mind, the Philippine music scene is ready for anything new, given that most of what you hear on radio nowadays are stuck in their respective stylistic boxes. There are a precious few who are pushing the limits their genres, and even fewer that offer something really "out of the box". But there are lots of interesting acts in the periphery which the mainstream never hears, and/or which the music industry doesn't consider lucrative.

I know I'm going to get flamed for some of what I'm about to say, but someone's got to do the dirty work. So here goes......

I think one of the problems of R&B in the Philippines is that local musicians haven't figured out how to assimilate the genre into our musical culture. I hate to say this, but having heard what passes for R&B locally, I've come to the conclusion that those musicians don't quite understand the fundamental contexts of African-American music. In short, they simply don't "get it". This lack of understanding therefore renders them unable to assimilate these into Philippine culture. The rock scene solved this problem decades ago. JDLC, The Dawn, The Eraserheads, Joey Ayala, and a host of others got it right either instinctively or purposively. The same is true with the "pop" scene. But R&B (and regretfully, Jazz) failed to follow through on the occasions when they were on the threshold of achieving critical mass. 

So until the local R&B musicians "get" the Afro-American context, and how to assimilate it into Philippine culture, R&B will remain remote and irrelevant to the "masa" and the local music scene at large.

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »
I agree. That's the thing with our culture. We are famous all over the world for our ability to adapt to any available situations, scenarios and at times cultures. That is why the Europeans and the Americans envy us for our ability to learn and adapt their culture while they have a "passing through they needle's eye" context of adapting to ours.

Our Filipino rock and pop musicians were able to adapt to the rock and pop music perspective due to the "walk in the park" structures of these genres. Unlike Afro-American Music where we have difficulty with "walking the walk and talking the talk" due to its diverse permutations, these so called genres mainly influence our daily lives thanks to radio stations that feed us with materials rotating on regular airplay. When  the Americans came to the philippines, they actually brought with them the pros and cons of their musical culture which then were percieved to be the "holy grail " of social acceptance. Until such point where it eventually sink into us as if it were part of our system.

In my perspective..I can safely assume that unless we start to walk the walk and talk the talk, thats wehn we can say we are ready
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
nde pa cguro..

iba kase yung culture dito eh..

Offline mayk_bam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:54:39 PM »
RnB? as in Rock n Ballads, oo naman...hehe :-P
Ibanez RG530 DX, Korg X50

Offline jay4roca

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »
In my mind, the Philippine music scene is ready for anything new, given that most of what you hear on radio nowadays are stuck in their respective stylistic boxes. There are a precious few who are pushing the limits their genres, and even fewer that offer something really "out of the box". But there are lots of interesting acts in the periphery which the mainstream never hears, and/or which the music industry doesn't consider lucrative.

I know I'm going to get flamed for some of what I'm about to say, but someone's got to do the dirty work. So here goes......

I think one of the problems of R&B in the Philippines is that local musicians haven't figured out how to assimilate the genre into our musical culture. I hate to say this, but having heard what passes for R&B locally, I've come to the conclusion that those musicians don't quite understand the fundamental contexts of African-American music. In short, they simply don't "get it". This lack of understanding therefore renders them unable to assimilate these into Philippine culture. The rock scene solved this problem decades ago. JDLC, The Dawn, The Eraserheads, Joey Ayala, and a host of others got it right either instinctively or purposively. The same is true with the "pop" scene. But R&B (and regretfully, Jazz) failed to follow through on the occasions when they were on the threshold of achieving critical mass. 

So until the local R&B musicians "get" the Afro-American context, and how to assimilate it into Philippine culture, R&B will remain remote and irrelevant to the "masa" and the local music scene at large.

oh yea i agree wit you.. but i thought bout it but actually didnt want to mention it or just didnt want to say the truth ;-)

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »
tama si mr. makinao.

pero i'm wondering kung bakit walang nag-evolve na RnB mula sa pinoy blues/rock. okey sana yung environment nung 90's pero na-dampen yata ng eraserheads and the bands that followed tsaka ng grunge.

*sayang talaga kasi araw araw may ipinanganganak na makikisunod lang sa uso. haha  :lol: let's just hope na may makakakuha ng pinoy RnB feel

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
i saw a video of this half pinoy guy in myx two days ago...

i thought he was reciting a poem but when i turned up the volume, i found out he was singing! and hes not just singing, hes singing another "show me that booty, girl" song!!!

zomfglolz....trying hard S.O.B.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:23:08 PM »
ARTSTRONG the best....:)

i love his JAZZY MONDAY vid! check this out guys!

life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

Offline guitbox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »
i think filipinos are ready for anything.  =)

although rnb talaga ay parang attached na to the americans, parang pag in-apply na saten, lalao na kunng tagalog song, parang ang dating sa iba ay off---kse hindi siguro kasi sanay.

personally, trip ko boses and style ni JR, pero come to think of it, amboy don kase un...
My passion comes from my Jesus...

Offline cyrilmosh

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »
no comment... 8-)

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 01:50:18 AM »
THIS IS MY POINT OF VIEW:

we live in a third world country...ang majority of the people are the masses.

RnB is an upper class music. for an artist to venture this market medyo risky...lalo na pag solo artist.

the upper class here would even preffer listening to international artists. though some would genuinely appreciate it...nitch audience lang sya.

and producers dont like selling to nitch audience :)

Offline pauw

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »
If we only have producers here who make songs and awesome beats such as chris brown, NE-YO, Mario, and all the other popular rnb artists, then I am sure that Filipino Rnb will rise and live up to its name again.

I AM STRUGGLING TO GET PEOPLE WHO LIKES RNB TO LISTEN TO MY MUSIC BECAUSE I THINK THAT I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO GIVE PHILIPPINE RNB MUSIC A DIFFERENT (BUT GOOD) REPUTATION. Since colonial mentality is what is "IN" now, I studied those little details in foreign songs that make filipinos want to cling on them and stack them in their ipods. For example, look at KPOP (korean pop) now. They are pretty much rising in the music industry WORLDWIDE now because if you take a closer listen to their music, their music is patterned in the american music way. And surprising thing is that most of those hits coming from 2ne1, super junior, and girls' generation are merely RNB in genre.

I am not saying that we should be copy-cats. I am saying that if we Filipinos want to make our RNB music rise again, then we should leave that old-school genetic sound to it and be more open minded.

Take a listen to my beats at www.soundcloud.com/fifthmoon and you will se what I am talking about.

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 12:58:01 AM »
If we only have producers here who make songs and awesome beats such as chris brown, NE-YO, Mario, and all the other popular rnb artists, then I am sure that Filipino Rnb will rise and live up to its name again.

I AM STRUGGLING TO GET PEOPLE WHO LIKES RNB TO LISTEN TO MY MUSIC BECAUSE I THINK THAT I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO GIVE PHILIPPINE RNB MUSIC A DIFFERENT (BUT GOOD) REPUTATION. Since colonial mentality is what is "IN" now, I studied those little details in foreign songs that make filipinos want to cling on them and stack them in their ipods. For example, look at KPOP (korean pop) now. They are pretty much rising in the music industry WORLDWIDE now because if you take a closer listen to their music, their music is patterned in the american music way. And surprising thing is that most of those hits coming from 2ne1, super junior, and girls' generation are merely RNB in genre.

I am not saying that we should be copy-cats. I am saying that if we Filipinos want to make our RNB music rise again, then we should leave that old-school genetic sound to it and be more open minded.

Take a listen to my beats at www.soundcloud.com/fifthmoon and you will se what I am talking about.

cool beats bra  :mrgreen:

Offline NS10 Reborn

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
RnB? as in Rock n Ballads, oo naman...hehe :-P

ya, i agree... dabest to..

Offline JOHNSEL ERNEST

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »
well, i am afraid NOT.. .

the term “R&B” originates from traditional rhythm and blues music, today the term R&B is most often used to describe a style of African American music originating after the demise of disco in the 1980s. Some sources refer to the style as urban contemporary (the name of the radio format that plays hip hop and contemporary R&B).

i must say that "I do" but most of "US are NOT into it.. .
and
hopefully they will.. .

ciao

Offline NS10 Reborn

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 07:04:25 AM »

WHY?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:06:18 AM by NS10 Reborn »

Offline mr. gellybean

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »

wala na sila sa Maynila... nasa Davao na yata lahat RnB music producers... eheheh

check this out...  www.myspace.com/vanric     yung NO track... compare the Original mobile phone recording and the finished product... cheers
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:21:01 AM by mr. gellybean »

Offline mr. gellybean

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »
Why dont we have that much RnB Artists in the Philippines such as Usher, Mario, Cris Brown etc.?

What would you say if there's a RnB album coming out (just Pinoy Singer)?

I think Jay-R is doing a great job and e.g Kyla ... !!

Actually we got a lot pinoy -ay RnB Singers like Nicole Scherziger, Cassie etc...
But where are the artists straight hailing from the Phils.?

Check this out... www.myspace.com/vanric...  hear and compare the original recording to the produced one...

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:26 AM »
Is the Philippines ready for RNB?

Exactly what RNB are we talking about here?

Kung mga 5th Dimension, Tower Of Power, Earth Wind & Fire, Friends of Distinction, MFSB, The Three Degrees, Lou Rawls, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Supremes, Marvin Gaye - then I would say yes matagal na tayong may hardcore fans.

Kung Usher, Brian McKnight, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Next, Keith Sweat - then I would say yes din kasi it has already mainstream acceptance.

Kung Muddy Waters, Louis Jordan, B.B. King, Johnny Otis etc - then I would say no kasi mostly musicians lang o mga may kaya ang nakaka appreciate nito.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline NS10 Reborn

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
Is the Philippines ready for RNB?

Exactly what RNB are we talking about here?

Kung mga 5th Dimension, Tower Of Power, Earth Wind & Fire, Friends of Distinction, MFSB, The Three Degrees, Lou Rawls, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Supremes, Marvin Gaye - then I would say yes matagal na tayong may hardcore fans.

Kung Usher, Brian McKnight, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Next, Keith Sweat - then I would say yes din kasi it has already mainstream acceptance.

Kung Muddy Waters, Louis Jordan, B.B. King, Johnny Otis etc - then I would say no kasi mostly musicians lang o mga may kaya ang nakaka appreciate nito.

of course philippines is always ready for RnB...   RHYTHM AND BALLADS... HAHAHHA :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
actually very versatile ang ears ng mga pinoy. mahirap nga lang basahin ang listeners ngayon kasi sobrang diverse. rnb was the thing for some time but i think it will come around soon. ganun lang talaga trend.

one thing about rnb sa pinas eh hindi pa natin na-iinculturate. kumbaga yung mga themes natin sa rnb songs di pa masyado nai-blend sa pinoy culture, feelings and consciousness. i think south border did well sa mga rnb songs nila na tagalog.

mahirap nga lang talaga mag-tagalog na rnb na hindi tunog cheap. hehe. kudos to sb, k24 and jay r for that.
strum away!