hulika

Author Topic: The Internet is Killing Guitar Shops  (Read 17055 times)

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The Internet is Killing Guitar Shops
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »
Yes folks. You heard me right. Yan ang na-eexperience namin ngayon dito sa Sydney. Just a few months ago, a major music shop chain "Allans and Billy Hyde" was foreclosed due to financial problems. Jackson's Rare Guitars, one of the best vintage/hi end guitar shop here in Sydney is also now closed.

When I arrive here in 2007, guitar shops agad ang hinanap ko and there were plenty around the CBD and Annandale area. Though prices are more expensive than US/Canada prices (a new Fender American Deluxe Tele is $1700 in the US while the negotiable price tag here is $2400), there's a wide selection of guitars, amps and gadgets you can choose from.

Now all that is left are smaller guitar stores. They don't stock high end equipment but rather cheap epiphones, squires, ibanez and the likes. Kung meron mang mamahaling gitara, you can look but not try it. These shops don't have much customers even on weekends but most of their sales are done online, thru ebay or other websites.

The Australian economy is doing much better than the US nowadays. Before the exchange rate was about 90 AU cents to an American dollar, today it's the other way around. I think the Philippine peso is rallying towards a better exchange rate against the dollar. A lot of Aussies would rather buy from the US and wait for a couple of weeks than go to a local music store due to the savings of buying online.

I think these are the signs   

• We'll have to rely on other people for reviews and demo videos over the internet
  • Fewer local music shops if not none, though stocks will be limited or per order basis
  • If you want a high quality instrument, you'll have to trust the description and photos posted online by the seller
  • You cannot test the guitar in the shop unless you are a valued customer or known personality
  • Cheap and fake/imitation guitars will be wide spread (this is already happening)
  • Resale value of guitars will go down drastically even for high end ones

I'm glad that music stores in the Philippines still stock better equipment but in a few years time we will follow other countries. Sulit, ebay.ph and the classifieds here are the starting point. Once we pinoys are comfortable with online trading/use of credit card, we will follow suit.

news link
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/strings-attached-as-guitar-store-goes-under-20121217-2bjai.html

buti nga sa inyo sa Sydney ganyan lang ang difference sa US prices. it's higher sa ibang states. tapos limited pa ang pagpipilian.

ganyan talaga ang nangyayari ngayon, pati din naman sa ibang bansa. maraming "pinatay" ang internet.

you'd also have to take into consideration Australian business laws na mas stricto sa US. this is also aside from Australia having the highest wages in the world (high cost of living din)

pinaka masarap na panahon ng E-commerce ay noong late 90s or early 2000s. doon talaga kahit ano mabibili mo basta mabayaran mo. eh ngayon, may mga trade agreements. may mga websites sa, say US, na hindi nagshiship sa, say, Australia. although hindi pa din probihitive dahil marami rami pa din ang willing to ship. you'd just have to find them.

I believe na once maging very common ang online selling, baka pag interesan na yan ng gobyerno. dati more than a sum of 1000 dollars ang pwede mong bilin at iparating sa Auspost na hindi ka matatax. ngayon ata 900+ na lang.

pati damit at groceries online na din. and even my friend buys his toilet paper online.

mas mahala talag sa Aus, kaya mas makakatipid ka sa online purchase. im sure there will be ways around that later.

I know of someone who owns his own lot, and building, he lives there but the first floor is his shop. family owned. wala siyang renta. tumutulong ang family niya. so he's capable of competition.

siguro panahon lang yan before a solution comes up. malay natin, sa sobrang dadami later ang mag oonline purchase, then mas lalaki at mas magiging makulay ang black market (ie. gumtree)

now kung iilang thousand dollars lang ang pinag uusapan, some australians would rather have a custom guitar made, starting with highly selected wood and materials. kung dadaigin lang ng local made ang foreign guitars. bakit ka pa mag foreign if local is WAY better? Perry Ormsby has been making killer guitars for so long na. He even made one for a Quiet Riot member.

He even helps people become self sufficient by conducting guitar making classes, refret and redressing courses, pickup making classes. if you're able to build a guitar , im sure it will be easier to maintain guitars. he conducts these classes all over Australia (base from what i saw in the facebook wall posts)

as for me, under the conditions you've mentioned, when the time comes na you'd really want a good guitar, kailangan na talaga ng planning. like another friend of mine, he lives in Sydney. pinagplanuhan niya talaga.

tiniming niya sa trip niya to the US. pinag ipunan, para malaki ang budget and may range siya. he was able to find what he liked. happy siya.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:16 AM »
The online shops are cr*p too. For example ebay, it's flooded by sellers from China at dahil mura ang shipping at presyo ng items nila even local suppliers are having hard time competing with them.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
^ mahihirapan yang mga local sellers dahil sa labor ng Aus at taxation.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
IMHO

Isn't that guitar players are almost always after the tone, feel, playability and comfort of their dream guitar?

WHY then buy online?

There is absolutely no way of satisfying the above characteristics of a guitar when buying online. You have nothing to assess, you only have pictures or MP3s. You can't hold the neck or feel the weight nor listen to its sonic properties.

I do not understand why people buy guitars online, I can't seem to justify the reason why people buy online...unless perhaps they buy online just for the mere feeling of excitement when the package arrives?
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »
IMHO

Isn't that guitar players are almost always after the tone, feel, playability and comfort of their dream guitar?

WHY then buy online?

There is absolutely no way of satisfying the above characteristics of a guitar when buying online. You have nothing to assess, you only have pictures or MP3s. You can't hold the neck or feel the weight nor listen to its sonic properties.

I do not understand why people buy guitars online, I can't seem to justify the reason why people buy online...unless perhaps they buy online just for the mere feeling of excitement when the package arrives?

kasi may return policy. Balik lang nang balik hanggang makuha mo yung guitar na tama. The thought goes like this: alam mo ang sound ng humbucker, single coil. Alam mo na ang ginagawa ng split coil, trem, locking tuners, yung bridge na to. Alam mo na yung ginagawa nung mga tone at volume pots mo. alam mo na yung body shape at construction na gusto mo. Pili ka ng isa. One week to try. Pwede mo pa nga i-gig eh. Pag ayaw, ship it back, palitan ng iba, rinse and repeat hanggang makuha ang gusto.

Some of the local guitar shops aren't helping in this situation either, as some of them don't want you to hold and play the merchandise. Parang, nag-effort ka pa bumiyahe tapos ayaw pala. And with those bulk shipping service things, it's even more affordable to purchase a guitar online and have it shipped here.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:27 AM »
IMHO

WHY then buy online?

convenience bro.

you can always ship it back if theres a warranty.

haha. pero i havent bought anything online.

I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »
kasi may return policy. Balik lang nang balik hanggang makuha mo yung guitar na tama. The thought goes like this: alam mo ang sound ng humbucker, single coil. Alam mo na ang ginagawa ng split coil, trem, locking tuners, yung bridge na to. Alam mo na yung ginagawa nung mga tone at volume pots mo. alam mo na yung body shape at construction na gusto mo. Pili ka ng isa. One week to try. Pwede mo pa nga i-gig eh. Pag ayaw, ship it back, palitan ng iba, rinse and repeat hanggang makuha ang gusto.

Some of the local guitar shops aren't helping in this situation either, as some of them don't want you to hold and play the merchandise. Parang, nag-effort ka pa bumiyahe tapos ayaw pala. And with those bulk shipping service things, it's even more affordable to purchase a guitar online and have it shipped here.

i agree with the guitar shops.

rj stores (aaaargh).

pinakamasklap yung pcpark e. nung hahawakan ko yung isang tele nila sabi sakin, sir mahal yan.

ha?hahahaha.  :-D
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »

I see what you mean, pero diba may cost din yung shipping back sa seller? Pano pa kung multiple times ka nag palit? Eh di napamahal ka pa?

Honestly, palagi ako bumibili sa Sweetwater at eBay ng guitar accesories at parts, pero parts na maliliit lang (pots, screws, picks, strings, tubes) yung tipong alam ko na hindi ko ibabalik kasi alam ko what I see is what I get, di katulog ng isang buong guitar, parang may element of surprise, baka panget or pwede ring sobrang ganda naman (swerte kumbaga).

Halimbawa may tao naka base sa Pinas, bumili sa Sweetwater, tapos ayaw, sure pwede mo ibalik pero sagot mo yung return shipping, plus yung import taxes pa ng customs and to mention the horrors of international shipping.

PERO kung ang isang tao eh based sa USA at yung online seller eg USA based din, i think mag wo-work out yung online guitar shopping kung free yung return shipping.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
i agree with the guitar shops.

rj stores (aaaargh).

pinakamasklap yung pcpark e. nung hahawakan ko yung isang tele nila sabi sakin, sir mahal yan.

ha?hahahaha.  :-D

Yes! RJ stores! puro flaws na nga yung mga units ayaw pa ipatest. Bad trip din yung akala nila nagsshopping ka sa raon at di mo alam yung ginagawa mo. Minsan gusto ko magdala ng mamahaling gamit para lang ipamukha na oy alam ko ang tinitingnan ko.

I see what you mean, pero diba may cost din yung shipping back sa seller? Pano pa kung multiple times ka nag palit? Eh di napamahal ka pa?

Honestly, palagi ako bumibili sa Sweetwater at eBay ng guitar accesories at parts, pero parts na maliliit lang (pots, screws, picks, strings, tubes) yung tipong alam ko na hindi ko ibabalik kasi alam ko what I see is what I get, di katulog ng isang buong guitar, parang may element of surprise, baka panget or pwede ring sobrang ganda naman (swerte kumbaga).

Halimbawa may tao naka base sa Pinas, bumili sa Sweetwater, tapos ayaw, sure pwede mo ibalik pero sagot mo yung return shipping, plus yung import taxes pa ng customs and to mention the horrors of international shipping.

PERO kung ang isang tao eh based sa USA at yung online seller eg USA based din, i think mag wo-work out yung online guitar shopping kung free yung return shipping.

yeah, I was referring to the ones based in the US. Kung online shoppingsa pinas, oo sobrang mahal nyan. But then iba na talaga ang mga shoppers ng mga instruments ngayon. Yung hindi gear at tone freaks ah, yung normal na tumutugtog lang - gneerally happy naman sila sa tunog ng kung ano man ang bilhin nila, partly because hindi pa nila marinig at maramdaman yung difference. So as long as hindi super weird yung setup at hindi malayo sa tone na target nila, masaya na sila dun.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
That is why, for better or worse, our local market will stay as it is for the meantime. But in countries like the US and even Australia, it's not difficult to see why physical stores are struggling.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »
Yes! RJ stores! puro flaws na nga yung mga units ayaw pa ipatest. Bad trip din yung akala nila nagsshopping ka sa raon at di mo alam yung ginagawa mo. Minsan gusto ko magdala ng mamahaling gamit para lang ipamukha na oy alam ko ang tinitingnan ko.

yeah, I was referring to the ones based in the US. Kung online shoppingsa pinas, oo sobrang mahal nyan. But then iba na talaga ang mga shoppers ng mga instruments ngayon. Yung hindi gear at tone freaks ah, yung normal na tumutugtog lang - gneerally happy naman sila sa tunog ng kung ano man ang bilhin nila, partly because hindi pa nila marinig at maramdaman yung difference. So as long as hindi super weird yung setup at hindi malayo sa tone na target nila, masaya na sila dun.

one time at a crappy store in sta mesa...was window shopping..and all the crap P.O.S. guitars were plastic wrapped..took one off the stand..and this grumpy old man..scolded me for touching it..
was so pissed and insulted..wanted to throw a rock at his store window...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
one time at a crappy store in sta mesa...was window shopping..and all the crap P.O.S. guitars were plastic wrapped..took one off the stand..and this grumpy old man..scolded me for touching it..
was so pissed and insulted..wanted to throw a rock at his store window...

haha oo nga.akala mo ginto e,pag naka shorts ka lang parang baba ng tingin sa iyo.

pag nakapolo ka, sir ng sir.

pero di lang naman sa music store yan, kahit saan. ewan ko ba, ine equate ng mga salesperson ang yaman sa porma.

minsan nga mas mayaman pa yung mukhang ewan lang e. haha.

okay back to topic.sorry ts. :-D

Completely.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »

i think you are missing the point. The most important thing is you are able to try it for free, plug it to your rig , gig with it for a short time (the best way to test a guitar). kahit magasgasan ok lang and if not satisfied you can return it . Dito mo maassess yun feel at sound kung gusto mo na talaga o hindi. IIRC Kauer guitars offered it sometime, one of their custom guitar worth 4-5k USD na pwede mo itest at isoli kung di mo magustuhan. unbeatable offer.
Also, nobody returns it multiple times, normally they will give you the right one the 2nd time. pag 3rd time ka nagsoli there is something "fishy" na about the buyer.  so the first time you return it you need to be clear about what you really need.

my 2 cents
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
haha oo nga.akala mo ginto e,pag naka shorts ka lang parang baba ng tingin sa iyo.

pag nakapolo ka, sir ng sir.

pero di lang naman sa music store yan, kahit saan. ewan ko ba, ine equate ng mga salesperson ang yaman sa porma.

minsan nga mas mayaman pa yung mukhang ewan lang e. haha.

okay back to topic.sorry ts. :-D

one advantage of the internet vs. guitar shops: the internet doesn't discriminate based on what you wear. you could be buying your next guitar naked and the internet won't care

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »
me thinks... online guitar shops should coincide with their own guitar shop. or music shop for that matter.

both have their own good points.
Online shops can showcase their products immediately, taking consideration of those musicians who live far from their shops.
Whilst, traditional guitar shops cater to those who want to concretely see & feel those axes.

And what i'm saying is, guitar shops with online presence can give & reach out to more potential customers.
I'm saying online meaning, their online website should be promptly updated. Not updated per week or per month.

Take for example, Anderton's music store in UK.
Checkout their youtube videos & their online shop, you'll see what i mean.

just my thoughts
BR & God bless
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
me thinks... online guitar shops should coincide with their own guitar shop. or music shop for that matter.

both have their own good points.
Online shops can showcase their products immediately, taking consideration of those musicians who live far from their shops.
Whilst, traditional guitar shops cater to those who want to concretely see & feel those axes.

And what i'm saying is, guitar shops with online presence can give & reach out to more potential customers.
I'm saying online meaning, their online website should be promptly updated. Not updated per week or per month.

Take for example, Anderton's music store in UK.
Checkout their youtube videos & their online shop, you'll see what i mean.

just my thoughts
BR & God bless

agreed with  this...saw one popular shop with this model..quite successful..as they really have good prices..and takes the effort to shoot the actual guitar nicely and completely..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »
while i'm all for technological advancement, I still believe that there's nothing like trying out the gear muna before buying it.

"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »

Dumaan ako kahapon sa mga music stores kasi naghahanap ako ng capo. I went by Music for Little Mozarts (I think subsidiary ng Lyric?) and asked for a capo pero sabi sakin next week pa daw dating nung mga capo. Tinignan ko yung display and I saw one kaya tinanong ko yung salesman. Sabi sakin "mahal po kasi yan. next week pa po yung dating nung mga murang capo."

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
while i'm all for technological advancement, I still believe that there's nothing like trying out the gear muna before buying it.

Agree. and nothing beats walking inside a guitar store.......nothing!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »
Agree. and nothing beats walking inside a guitar store.......nothing!

nothing beats walking inside a guitar store...WITH MONEY. hehe
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
nothing beats walking inside a guitar store...WITH MONEY. hehe

i agree with feeling & hearing gear personally in the store.

What i actually like about shops that have both product availability methods is,
you can use the one that suits your needs.

I'm satisfied in buying SW gear or other general recording gears from online shops.
But I enjoy walking in music shops to check out guitars, amps, pedals, effects & other tone defining HW gear...
And I think I'm not ok with buying my next guitar or amp online.

BR & God bless
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:13:27 PM by inot1105 »
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »
parang chicks na may mga online profiles nila...na pagkaganda,sexy at pagkaputi..at blemish free...

pagkameet up..KABOOM! ikaw ba yan ate?!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
i think you are missing the point. The most important thing is you are able to try it for free...

are you talking about online stores here?
because if you are...i doubt that there exist an online store which will allow their items to be ship to your doorstep for you to try for free.

you actually have a higher chance of trying your favourite guitar on a brick and mortar store, for free.

parang chicks na may mga online profiles nila...na pagkaganda,sexy at pagkaputi..at blemish free...

pagkameet up..KABOOM! ikaw ba yan ate?!

exactly.

PERO again, it depends kung san ka naka base.

Kung sa USA ka, eh na perfect na nila at na streamline ang online shopping kaya practical na, pero kung nasa Pinas ka tapos bibili ka sa US, tapos papa-ship mo sa bahay mo...tapos pagdating ayaw mo pala yung color kasi iba sa yung shade sa screen monitor mo, sus, goodluck!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:40:25 PM by tam_guitar »

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
are you talking about online stores here?
because if you are...i doubt that there exist an online store which will allow their items to be ship to your doorstep for you to try for free.

ng ayaw mo pala yung color kasi iba sa yung shade sa screen monitor mo, sus, goodluck!

err. sonicassault already defined Return policy that applies to other countries . I thought we are talking about the same thing since you quoted it. but then you probably thought its local.

edit:

A lot of Custom boutique builders offer returns even if "shade " lang yun issue. My replica from UK comes with it and a "Tone Guarantee". He said if his build is not at par with the Best replica builders of today in terms of TONE and CRAFTSMANSHIP, I can return it. full refund.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:58:30 PM by Rmansh »