hulika

Author Topic: DIY Thread - post your guitar DIYs and ask your DIY questions here  (Read 118216 times)

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
This is the D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) thread? It's where you can share your DIYs, tips and ask questions.

I learned to install pickups and modify guitar circuitry when I brought my guitar to a shop and they failed to convert my guitar to series/parallel wiring using the push/pull pots.  Since then, I slowly learned to DIY stuff, and it is a happy journey, very satisfying.

How about you?

QUESTION to fellow DIYer's in Philmusic

How do I route without a routing tool?  I wanted to cut through a floyd backplate so I can adjust the termol-no inside even with the backplate attached.  I'd like to know who has experience on this and what tools have you used?

I thought of using a soldering iron but that will be messy and I might get cancer  :| . The other way is for me to drill several holes then remove the center part, but I think that will not be a very clean cut.  The other way is to bring this to a luthier, but that will take some time and I want this done before the holiday ends.

Any suggestions?  Below is the backplate that I wanted to cut.

Post any questions you have in this thread and our experienced forum members may be able to help.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:43:11 PM by markcasq »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: DIY Thread - help on how to route a tremolo backplate?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
^^^

From my experience, madali lang putulin ang mga pickguard material gamit yung talim ng lagaring bakal bro. Hindi kasi siya malutong na plastic. Actually medyo malambot na plastic yan. Kahat hawakan mo nalang yung mismong blade, pero syempre balutan mo ng karton or thick cloth. Ang medyo tricky part na lang ay kung papano mo puputulin yung pinaka width niya. Pero pwede naman siguro via drill. Tapos lihain mo na lang para kuminis yung mga gilid.  :-)

Good luck!

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Drill large holes (as practical) at the corners, and saw your way in.  That's the rough work, so leave a bit of allowance.  Then 'cut' to the finish lines with rough files, 60-100grit sandpaper, then 400-600grit, in that order.  Takes time.  Takes elbow grease.  Mas madali if you just route the thing out, or have someone to do it for you.  Mas malinis pa, with less chance of errors.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow, will update you.

Offline juntwang

Re: DIY Thread - post your guitar DIYs and ask your DIY questions here
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
you can use a Dremel or any rotary tool with a small cutting disk, but you need to practice first on how it works.  :)

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »
Ganito ba yun?  Baka pwede drill na lang, tapos bili ako ng rotary disc na bala, check ko to bukas sa hardware store.  pero if I do this I need the backplate to be secure.  Wala ako working table and clamps, pero baka magawan ko naman ng paraan.  Sige thanks for this, something new to learn... baka ma GAS naman ako sa dremel, hehe.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  The dremel suggestion gave me an idea to use the routing bits that I use for guitar wood.  And then today I learned how to use sanding paper!

So here's the process:
1. I used the routing bits (not sure if that's what it is called) to cut through the already existing hole in the back plate.  I used a chopping board with rubber edges to clamp the back plate  :-D

It was a messy outcome, and I thought I would just have live with a crooked hole, anyway it's in the back of the guitar.

2. Then I remembered I had some sanding paper, so I tried to use it, and I was surprised at the result.  I have 150, 280, and 400 grit sitting around that I bought 6 mos ago to lower a locking nut, but never got to do it.  It's not perfect, but it's far from the initial crooked cut from the routing bit.

3. And here it is attached to the guitar.  It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me.  What I realized was good with DIY is that if I make mistakes, it's not a very big deal vs. if I paid someone to do it and they didn't do a good job.  I am more forgiving to myself  :-D

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
What I realized was good with DIY is that if I make mistakes, it's not a very big deal vs. if I paid someone to do it and they didn't do a good job.  I am more forgiving to myself  :-D

Definitely!  :-)

It's also an avenue for gaining more knowledge. Congrats sa outcome bro! From the pics, parang malinis naman.  :mrgreen:

Offline juntwang

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
nice result sir!  :)

Offline thugs

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
Try ko rin to mamaya! gamit coping saw! heheeh! palagay ko mas madali magcut dun.. thanks for the Tip!

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »
Definitely!  :-)

It's also an avenue for gaining more knowledge. Congrats sa outcome bro! From the pics, parang malinis naman.  :mrgreen:
Thanks!  Yes, actually ang dami ko natutunan sa pag-DIY.  Yung sa cut, hindi lang masyadong straight yung hiwa, pero di halata sa malayo :-)

nice result sir!  :)
Thanks!

Try ko rin to mamaya! gamit coping saw! heheeh! palagay ko mas madali magcut dun.. thanks for the Tip!
Ayun, may bago na naman ako natutunan, "coping saw", may ganyan pala!

Hay, baka naman ma-GAS ang mga tao sa thread na ito, GAS on power tools! :-)  Parang gusto ko na bumili agad ng dremel, coping saw at router, hehe!

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »
Bad trip lang, di ko mahanap yung screws nung back plate... kanina pa ako naghahanap!  :eek:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
Ayun, may bago na naman ako natutunan, "coping saw", may ganyan pala!

Wahaha! Yan yung sinasabi ko dun sa previous post ko. Essentially, ganyan din. Pero prehistoric lang kasi hahawakan niyo yung mismong talim ng lagaring bakal.  :-P Pag coping saw, may assembly na siya para mas safe, saka baka mas pino yung talim.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:51:23 PM »
Wahaha! Yan yung sinasabi ko dun sa previous post ko. Essentially, ganyan din. Pero prehistoric lang kasi hahawakan niyo yung mismong talim ng lagaring bakal.  :-P Pag coping saw, may assembly na siya para mas safe, saka baka mas pino yung talim.
Ah!  O nga actually nag prepare na din ako ng lagaring bakal after you suggested kahapon.  pero bigla ako nagkaron ng bagong idea pag gising ko today... naisip ko may mga drill bit pala ako.  Mas konting muscle ang kelangan gamitin, hehe.

Offline mikko21ganja

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
Just sharing this DIY paint job i did recently  :)
Good pm bro  :)

I first striped of the paint with rough sand paper (was supposed to use the heat gun method, but doesn't seem to work on the weathered black finish.)

covered up the grains with 2 layers white enamel paint and sanded with fine sandpaper to get an even surface

then added another white layer of paint

i then spray painted it laquer yellow with 3 layers, and let dry for 3 days

spray painted it with 3 layers of orange on the edges, let it dried for 3 days

i then spraypainted with 4 layers of black on the edges, dried it for 3 days again

i then used 2 layers clear polyurethane spraypaint for the gloss, and let it dry for a week

lightly sanded it to further even out the finish

then added the final 2 layers of polyurethane spraypaint  :-)

(sorry walang pics simula dun sa yellow stage, slipped my mind to take pics)

Hope this could be useful  :-D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:41:54 PM by mikko21ganja »

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »
Just sharing this DIY paint job i did recently  :)
Good pm bro  :)

I first striped of the paint with rough sand paper (was supposed to use the heat gun method, but doesn't seem to work on the weathered black finish.)

covered up the grains with 2 layers white enamel paint and sanded with fine sandpaper to get an even surface

then added another white layer of paint

i then spray painted it laquer yellow with 3 layers, and let dry for 3 days

spray painted it with 3 layers of orange on the edges, let it dried for 3 days

i then spraypainted with 4 layers of black on the edges, dried it for 3 days again

i then used 2 layers clear polyurethane spraypaint for the gloss, and let it dry for a week

lightly sanded it to further even out the finish

then added the final 2 layers of polyurethane spraypaint  :-)

Hope this could be useful  :-D
Thanks bro, this is very useful!  Excellent job!  Some questions:  What brand of paint did you use?  Did you mix it or straight out of the can?  did you use brush or spray?  San nakaka-bili ng pang spray?  Do you have a compressor?  How about yung yellow lacquer?  Ano brand yung binili mo?  Did you have to mix it pa?

And did painting have an impact on the tone?  Nagbago ba tunog?  Or ganun pa din?

Offline mikko21ganja

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
Thanks bro, this is very useful!  Excellent job!  Some questions:  What brand of paint did you use?  Did you mix it or straight out of the can?  did you use brush or spray?  San nakaka-bili ng pang spray?  Do you have a compressor?  How about yung yellow lacquer?  Ano brand yung binili mo?  Did you have to mix it pa?

And did painting have an impact on the tone?  Nagbago ba tunog?  Or ganun pa din?

The white enamel is ACE spraypaint

I used RJ london spraypaint cans for the yellow, orange, and black  :)

The Polyurethane spraypaint can is Bosny,

I bought all of them at ACE Hardware :) I didn't really feel any change with regards to tone.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »
The white enamel is ACE spraypaint
I used RJ london spraypaint cans for the yellow, orange, and black  :)
The Polyurethane spraypaint can is Bosny,
I bought all of them at ACE Hardware :) I didn't really feel any change with regards to tone.

Parang ang hirap mag spray paint ng "burst" na regular spray paint lang ang gamit. Parang ang dali magkamali. Ang daling mapakapal ng paint of mag-off sa sinusundan na linya.

Though you did a nice work there sir. Some spray painting skills you have.  :mrgreen:

Offline mikko21ganja

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »
Parang ang hirap mag spray paint ng "burst" na regular spray paint lang ang gamit. Parang ang dali magkamali. Ang daling mapakapal ng paint of mag-off sa sinusundan na linya.

Though you did a nice work there sir. Some spray painting skills you have.  :mrgreen:

Thanks bro  :-)

I was supposed to try that leather dye technique i saw on youtube, it seemed so easy, pero ayoko naman mag practice sa gitara na 'to  :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »
I think coping saw is better to saw off the pickguard material. Pag power tool kasi tendency is mag melt yung plastic sa init.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »
I think coping saw is better to saw off the pickguard material. Pag power tool kasi tendency is mag melt yung plastic sa init.

For pickguard material? Not so much. One pass, tapos na yun.

If you ARE using a saw, make sure you use fine teeth. Better yet, get a Jeweler's saw ;-)
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
For pickguard material? Not so much. One pass, tapos na yun.

If you ARE using a saw, make sure you use fine teeth. Better yet, get a Jeweler's saw ;-)

Yeah, jewelers saw is just right. Yung dremel has fine saw materials.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
Naisip ko lang. Another alternative is you may have simply drilled holes just inside the perimiter until you cut off the hole. Then take a flat bastard file and SLOWLY smoothen the edges until satisfied.

Till next time nalang. ;-)
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
Naisip ko lang. Another alternative is you may have simply drilled holes just inside the perimiter until you cut off the hole. Then take a flat bastard file and SLOWLY smoothen the edges until satisfied.

Till next time nalang. ;-)
mas mabilis yung ginamit ko na bit, although baka mas naging mas straight yung result had I drilled holes and cut.  Yeah, next time alam ko na gagawin

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
I havent tried DIY anything yet but I will after this 1000th post of mine  :-D...

Hooray :razz:
'one never fails until he quits trying'