hulika

Author Topic: Pedalboard dilemma. I need advice  (Read 1878 times)

Offline vigie rivera

Pedalboard dilemma. I need advice
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
Good day! I need help. I cant decide. Before I continue I would like to share my board first.

As you can see. I dont have space in my board anymore. That's my main problem at first. I've thought about buying a bigger board. But since I don't have one that could fit everything yet, I just bring a couple of pedals that I need for a certain situation/event/service. I've been doing that these past few weeks.
Then a couple of days ago I realized that even if I dont bring my "big board" I still get the sound that I am going for. It's enough but its doesnt really allow me to get experimental if i feel like it. So the big board is kinda like my comfort blanket. But on the other hand, having a small board is convinient and still gets the job done.
The sound that I am going for lean towards to ambient, spacey type of sounds. I occasionally do ambient loops. But most of the time I just play in our church.
Now my problem is, I cant decide if I should still continue with the big board plan or if i can just keep some/trade some/ sell some and go the less is more minimalist-ish route. Or possibly go the "strymon" route of I'm able to collect enough fund.
I know its more convinient to have a smaller board that is easier to carry around but I also fancy having a lot of options on the fly, most especially when an idea hits me.
Please I really need your wisdom, advice. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUMBOOGERS.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Pedalboard dilemma. I need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Being the minimalist that I am, I would suggest that you just take the pedals that you really need and play using them.

I see that there are certain redundant pedals. For example, you have the Holy Grail and a Supernatural for reverbs. I highly doubt that you play with both at the same time. You can also dispense with the tuner and get a headstock clip-on tuner instead. But you can have multiple drives, hehehehe. The biggest pedal I see is the volume pedal. If it's an integral part of your playing, isama mo. If not, and you're more of a guitar volume knob tweaker (like I am), baka pwedeng hindi na kasama dun.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's more liberating if you can maximize your sounds using the least equipment. But again, that's just me.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »
I agree completely with af_villaruel's suggestion but if you really need to bring all of those, may I suggest that you take the volume pedal out and place it before or after the actual board? I hope that would work for you.

Offline dullFingers

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
Keep your big board for home use if you don't feel like parting ways with your pedal collection and have a separate board for gigging purposes :-D

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 04:00:18 PM »
thank you sir af_villaruel and sir curiosdcat. there are songs that i would use 3 types of verbs and 2 delays (i also use the cdr for verb and delay). would you recommend a line6 500hd multi in exhange for my setup?

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »
Keep your big board for home use if you don't feel like parting ways with your pedal collection and have a separate board for gigging purposes :-D
thanks for the idea sir. i'll consider that too.

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:37:46 PM »
I had the same problem. I was using a PT2, and then I was getting tired of lugging the whole thing for a gig that requires plain distortion and delay. I decided to just create a smaller board para sa mga grab and go gigs para di compromise sa tone parin :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:55:37 PM »
agree with the bigger board at home or recording. if gig, just stick to the essentials. saken wah, tumnus, dist, zoom cdr ok na.  :)

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
I had the same problem. I was using a PT2, and then I was getting tired of lugging the whole thing for a gig that requires plain distortion and delay. I decided to just create a smaller board para sa mga grab and go gigs para di compromise sa tone parin :D
thank you sir. so sir you still have your bigger board?

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
 i had the same problem before,

himayin mo isa isa, of which works best for you para sa gig mo,
say sa dirt pedal, dist at od
then delay reverb? ms70cdr ba yun? i think that'll work,

dati meron akong volume pedal din, hanggang sa nasanay na ko mag volume knob nlang sa gitara, hehe
Masters are once an apprentice

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
thank you sir. so sir you still have your bigger board?

yes sir, I still have my bigger board :D then I purchased a PT nano+ for the grab and go board. essentials lang mapupunta sa board na to like a good OD, comp, chorus and delay.
agree with the bigger board at home or recording. if gig, just stick to the essentials. saken wah, tumnus, dist, zoom cdr ok na.  :)

and most of the dispose-ees ay nasa kin :D HAHAHAHA
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

dati meron akong volume pedal din, hanggang sa nasanay na ko mag volume knob nlang sa gitara, hehe
yes sir. sometimes dala ko lang od lang and cdr lang. ok siya kaso lang minsan mahirap lang pag minsan gusto kong magadd bigla ng effect mahirap pag hindi available

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:47 PM »

yes sir. sometimes dala ko lang od lang and cdr lang. ok siya kaso lang minsan mahirap lang pag minsan gusto kong magadd bigla ng effect mahirap pag hindi available

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »
Man, it's been a while since I hear news about your board.  :lol:

We have the same problem before. We also share the same playing style (but a little bit different because I play dream pop kind of music) so I suggest keep your board big.
It's not about being heavy or it's hard to carry the thing for gigs or church sunday services but the satisfaction it can give you is priceless I know.

I tried to be a minimalist (I posted it before on the pedal board thread) but it didn't worked out. I still need 2 different kind of reverbs, 2 different kind of delays (parallel w/ different tempos) 4 kinds of drives, a chorus (dark sounding) and the list goes on.

there are two options you do. IMO
*go digital. (multieffects) - selling all this stuff will end up for an atomic amplfire or axefx.
*go analog+digital combo. - strymon and eventide pedals is a good to go stuff to replace a couple of redundant pedals (as they say) on your board.

but for me, keep it big! The bigger the better.  :lol:
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:14:07 PM »
Man, it's been a while since I hear news about your board.  :lol:

We have the same problem before. We also share the same playing style (but a little bit different because I play dream pop kind of music) so I suggest keep your board big.
It's not about being heavy or it's hard to carry the thing for gigs or church sunday services but the satisfaction it can give you is priceless I know.

I tried to be a minimalist (I posted it before on the pedal board thread) but it didn't worked out. I still need 2 different kind of reverbs, 2 different kind of delays (parallel w/ different tempos) 4 kinds of drives, a chorus (dark sounding) and the list goes on.

there are two options you do. IMO
*go digital. (multieffects) - selling all this stuff will end up for an atomic amplfire or axefx.
*go analog+digital combo. - strymon and eventide pedals is a good to go stuff to replace a couple of redundant pedals (as they say) on your board.

but for me, keep it big! The bigger the better.  :lol:
long time man! yeah as you can see i've been busy. haha. i want to keep it big. i'm just a little bit doubtful if im going to get a bigger board. because in my experience, i've always resulted into buying a bigger board everytime i purchase gears that interests me. and every time i do it i always tell myself that this is it. so far nakaka 4 na pedalboard na ko kakasabi ko ng this is it. haha. i dunno maybe it's time to try a different approach. i've always felt like i'm more creative if i know that there are options avaible in front of me. i just dont know if i would settle if i go bigger. so far nagiging cycle ko na kasi siya haha. so i really want to try a smaller setup that has a lot of options too. it's just so hard to let go. and i'm also not really a fan of having presets. i always end up tweaking knobs while i play or after every song. kaya nahihirapan talaga ako mag decide haha. i'm just afraid that if i let go, or try a different approach, it wouldnt inspire me as much as it does with the setup that i have now

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:23 PM »
long time man! yeah as you can see i've been busy. haha. i want to keep it big. i'm just a little bit doubtful if im going to get a bigger board. because in my experience, i've always resulted into buying a bigger board everytime i purchase gears that interests me. and every time i do it i always tell myself that this is it. so far nakaka 4 na pedalboard na ko kakasabi ko ng this is it. haha. i dunno maybe it's time to try a different approach. i've always felt like i'm more creative if i know that there are options avaible in front of me. i just dont know if i would settle if i go bigger. so far nagiging cycle ko na kasi siya haha. so i really want to try a smaller setup that has a lot of options too. it's just so hard to let go. and i'm also not really a fan of having presets. i always end up tweaking knobs while i play or after every song. kaya nahihirapan talaga ako mag decide haha. i'm just afraid that if i let go, or try a different approach, it wouldnt inspire me as much as it does with the setup that i have now

haha. Yeah! I know that feeling too! "Okay na ako dito sa ganitong board *insert board dimension" but, after placing the pedals again, there will be spaces that will cause us to acquire more pedals!

and yes, the feel of digital approach is really different. Digital need lesser tweaks than analog. It will also sound different. Kaya keep the pedals for good and acquire a Digital floor effects and try it first. If it works for you, then maybe its time to let go.

keep playing man!
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Try having a main board and a supplemental board. Main board contains your basics and gets the job done, while supplemental board contains all the fancy stuff in case you want to go experimental and have extra space in your ride

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
haha. Yeah! I know that feeling too! "Okay na ako dito sa ganitong board *insert board dimension" but, after placing the pedals again, there will be spaces that will cause us to acquire more pedals!

and yes, the feel of digital approach is really different. Digital need lesser tweaks than analog. It will also sound different. Kaya keep the pedals for good and acquire a Digital floor effects and try it first. If it works for you, then maybe its time to let go.

keep playing man!
thank you sir. you do the same! :)

HUMBOOGERS.

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
Try having a main board and a supplemental board. Main board contains your basics and gets the job done, while supplemental board contains all the fancy stuff in case you want to go experimental and have extra space in your ride

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
thank you sir. that is actually a great idea. i might try that.

HUMBOOGERS.