hulika

Author Topic: "Trusty" monitor headphones  (Read 9979 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
"Trusty" monitor headphones
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
Ey guys. Ako naman may Q.

We all know how delightful it is to work audio at night. My problem is that my control room has one external wooden wall which does not suppress the sound and it goes out and during that time when I was not yet accustomed to mixing at low volumes, I actually got an irate letter from the neighbor.

So, while I know there is no substitute to monitoring with nearfields, I'd like to ask what headphones do you "trust" with your sound ? Something that can take me about 80-90% of the way for final adjustment when I can fire up the real monitors ?

I have a friend who does scores for TV and movies and his set-up consists of a Mac laptop, an M-audio Oxygen keyboard (the small one) and a set of headphones, all in a neat backpack. Allows him to work anywhere he happens to be. Unfortunately, I was not able to query him on how much he trusts his pair.

Preferably something in the 3-5k range only. I've seen earbuds that cost 12 thousand...ridiculous. Nothing of the sort. Preferably studio type headphones that are "faithful". 
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Trusty" monitor headphones
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
dunno about the pricing on the PI side but Sony MDRs (7506, V6, 7509s) are pretty good as are beyerdynamics and fostex cans. i like audio technica too but the drivers they use tend to be on the heavier side which might not be good for extended listening.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
dunno about the pricing on the PI side but Sony MDRs (7506, V6, 7509s) are pretty good as are beyerdynamics and fostex cans. i like audio technica too but the drivers they use tend to be on the heavier side which might not be good for extended listening.

Uy thanks ! Teka what a coincidence I have Sony MDR's here...3 of them, my sister sent them to me as a gift. Hmm...MDR V150. From what I know, these are relatively cheap in the order of $35 heheh. What ! 19.99 on musiciansfriend and with great reviews (on the sound anyway).

I'm okay with them at times, but up until reading the reviews, I was not sure if I could trust them. Hmm..mukhang my search has ended too soon. Thanks mikey.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:42:47 PM by BAMF »

Offline aperture

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:12:52 AM »
I suggest getting a Sony MDR-7506 or V6.. they are really worth it when tracking and mixing...  I tried many cans but I still ended up using my MDR-V6.. though I'm not sure if they sell it here.. I bought mine online.
MDR-V150 are not really studio headphones though sony is marketing it as studio haedphones.  I was able to test them before but they're just good for casual listening with an ipod.. for critical listening i suggest getting those V6/7506, akg 240s, senn HD25 or the beyer DT250...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:28 AM »
Thanks dude. My original criteria was something that can take me 80-90% of the way, looks like the V150 can do that. Nonetheless I got my eye on those 7506's. They're not expensive and the reviews go to the high heavens. Might as well do that as soon as my next paypal payment arrives.

Quote from: aperture link=topic=147118.msg1971691#msg1971691 d0ate=1250881972
I suggest getting a Sony MDR-7506 or V6.. they are really worth it when tracking and mixing...  I tried many cans but I still ended up using my MDR-V6.. though I'm not sure if they sell it here.. I bought mine online.
MDR-V150 are not really studio headphones though sony is marketing it as studio haedphones.  I was able to test them before but they're just good for casual listening with an ipod.. for critical listening i suggest getting those V6/7506, akg 240s, senn HD25 or the beyer DT250...

Offline mixx

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
hi mga sirs ask ko lng po kung saan nakakabili nung 7506, it seems hindi sila available locally? and how much kaya?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »
hi mga sirs ask ko lng po kung saan nakakabili nung 7506, it seems hindi sila available locally? and how much kaya?

It's about 100 dollars. I'll have mine drop-shipped.

Teka there's someone who can order from music123 on the classifieds, you can maybe ask him to get you a pair.

Offline aperture

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
you can get an MDR-V6 at amazon for $70.. they're basically the same.. the only thing that  sets the 7506 apart is the gold plated jack... and the red(V6) and blue(7506) metallic sticker which you can just peel off... some people say that if the 7506 breaks done and its under warranty, sony will replace it with another 7506 since its labeled as a professional product... but when a V6  breaks sony will just replace it with a mdr-v600 since this headphones are tagged as consumer product. I'm using a V6 and i can hear faint buzzes and hisses that my audiotechnica ath-m30 can't even reveal..  well its up to you if you'll go with the V6 or 7506 because they're both great headphones..  :)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
$70 and a great review sounds irrestible. Thanks bud !  :-)

you can get an MDR-V6 at amazon for $70.. they're basically the same.. the only thing that  sets the 7506 apart is the gold plated jack... and the red(V6) and blue(7506) metallic sticker which you can just peel off... some people say that if the 7506 breaks done and its under warranty, sony will replace it with another 7506 since its labeled as a professional product... but when a V6  breaks sony will just replace it with a mdr-v600 since this headphones are tagged as consumer product. I'm using a V6 and i can hear faint buzzes and hisses that my audiotechnica ath-m30 can't even reveal..  well its up to you if you'll go with the V6 or 7506 because they're both great headphones..  :)

Offline aperture

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
yup! $70 for the V6 is definitely a steal...   dont worry too much about the difference between the 7506 and the V6 because its been a long debate which sounds better..   difference is just the sticker and also the marketing, V6(consumer division) and 7506(professional division).  at the end of the day the V6 wins because it's $30 cheaper.  :lol:

Offline RATBUMAN

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 04:04:43 AM »
The Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones are phenomenal.  I bought a pair at Guitar Center for 100 dollars - as they were on sale.  Here's a review:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/sessentials.htm

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »
Beyer DT990 & sennheiser HD600 would be my best bet. :-)

Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »
There are Sennheiser 210's pala...and they're very inexpensive at 1.2k. :-D. Teka nga lemme look at the reviews...Senn will not put their name on an inferior product...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
AKG 240s for me (I still miss my Senn HD280 Pro), but I'm willing to try Audio Technica's M50.

I used to mix with closed backs, but ever since I used the open backed AKGs, my mixes have translated very well.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline sjon014

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »
There are Sennheiser 210's pala...and they're very inexpensive at 1.2k. :-D. Teka nga lemme look at the reviews...Senn will not put their name on an inferior product...

HD201's ba? The ones with the big Sennheiser Logos on the cups?
They're very good, especially for the price. Pero I wouldn't say they're effective monitor cans cause with this model (and half-a-dozen ones above it), the sound is "coloured". It's got that uhh.. Signature Sennheiser EQ... that you'll definitely notice when you have two or three Senn cans.

Recommendation ko naman, Behringers. Yeah, I know they're not well-loved around these parts. :lol:
Just check out any InTune store and try em out personally. Their prices start at 1,000 flat (HPM1000) but the proverbial star in my estimation was the HPX4000.

Clean, balanced sound. The lows are solid, but not overpowering. The highs are clear, shimmery, but not overly so. They look like Grados, they sound similar, but these are more tame. The actual cans are smaller than usual full-size fare, but it's very well-built. The price? Less than 3,000.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:37:07 AM by sjon014 »
Pinoydrums Lanyard - North distribution THIS SUNDAY, 2PM, TMS Alimall!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,148425.msg1983008.html#msg1983008

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
BAMF, lilihis ako ng konti.  a good pair of earphones is a must but it completely takes away the cross talk that regular stereo speakers normally create.  might i suggest a pair of teeny weeny speakers instead, like the 4 inch krk vxt's or ... what im currently badly gassing for, the weird pot-like pair of Espressivo PS-02 monitors from Japan.  shinji and i will post a thread on these babies very soon.  the cones are probably about 2 inches in diameter. theyre powerful, despite the size, but do not be fooled, they are very very expressive (hence the name) and i have never heard reverb in any other speaker they way i heard it from the "paso" ... (what i fondly call them)  ...waaaaay clearer than anything ive experienced in the past. in addition i don't think room treatment would be much of an issue with these tiny tools (unless youre mixing from your bath tub, lol).  like i said they look like small flower pots and are typically placed about 4 inches away from each side of your keyboard, cones facing up.  so normally, you don't need them very far from you, and therefore, comfortably mix on lower levels.  the price though is somewhat steep for a 2-inch pair (but worth it in my opinion!)... :-D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:49:43 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
Thanks for the more options guys. Whew...Behringer was a dark horse there. They do have bright spots in their lines, its just a matter of knowing which ones they are.

@hazel : are the paso's locally available ? My plan with the headphones anyway was just to get a couple of things out of the way like EQ, levels and the general interaction of the frequencies, then shift over to the monitor speakers during daytime :-D. I don't think phasing problems can be heard over headphones yeah.

@Boskit" AT M50...I've heard that before...I think its one of those with glowing reviews. Lemme google that...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 08:47:31 AM »
the paso's have to be ordered from japan and im praying i can get them by the end of the year. i was looking for their website but i cant seem to find it kasi japanese.  we'll post pics very soon.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:21:36 AM »
The Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones are phenomenal.  I bought a pair at Guitar Center for 100 dollars - as they were on sale.  Here's a review:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/sessentials.htm

'
100$??? thats a good deal.. i got mine before and costs more  :cry:.. but yes they are good headphones and VERY COMFY TOO especially if you wear them for a long period of time.... 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:20:41 AM »
'
100$??? thats a good deal.. i got mine before and costs more  :cry:.. but yes they are good headphones and VERY COMFY TOO especially if you wear them for a long period of time.... 8-)

O Kuya Baldo magtatambak ka ba ng surplus equipment mo sa studio ko ? Okay na kahit apogee rosetta lang. Mwahahaha.

Offline s2ry0fdyr

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »
has anyone tried M-audio studiophile q40?

Offline bodiddley

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
anybody tried the yamaha S-logic phones yet, that promises a more spacious soundstage even with phones?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RH10MS-S-Logic-Studio-Headphones?sku=241748

did a search of that S-logic technology, and i believe it was developed by another company selling much much much more expensive headphones than this, and yamaha just licensed their technology and produced one for the masses like us, hehehe.

i'm tempted to try it, especially in my work as a film&video location recording engineer, but I'm afraid $99 bucks ain't easy to cough up, if one is so used to one's favorite already - the ATH-M40fs in my case.

So anybody tried this yet - maybe from the hi-fi crowd? anybody?

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
has anyone tried M-audio studiophile q40?

I have a pair of the Q40 and the IE 40 as well.
All I can say is that it was worth getting them.

Cheers!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »
O Kuya Baldo magtatambak ka ba ng surplus equipment mo sa studio ko ? Okay na kahit apogee rosetta lang. Mwahahaha.
NGEK....  sorry ala na pambili hehehehe
Music is art in sound...

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »
NGEK....  sorry ala na pambili hehehehe
Magpapabili ako! Kailan ba next na uwi?
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua