hulika

Poll

Acoustic drums vs Digital drums

digital/electric drums
acoustic drums

Author Topic: Acoustic vs. Electronic drums  (Read 10132 times)

Offline gax

• Veteran Member
Re: Acoustic drum vs Digital drums
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
Added lang for the roland... you can even fix the tension of the mesh to your preffererence. So far the best e-kit I've tried. Other e-kits make a "tap" sound... mas mahina lang talaga sa Roland. Feels the best and it's the most quiet ba.

:-D

Pero honestly, I still like playing with an acoustic. Feeling ko rin you can't hit so hard on the digi drums. Not that I hit hard anyhow...
Flying Ipis is on Facebook...and on twitter gaki_girl
www.gamehopper.com.ph
www.flyingipis.tk

Offline dreendroid

• Veteran Member
Re: Acoustic drum vs Digital drums
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
I forgot to mention these guys....dun sa dati kong Roland. well.....after 2 years nasira un tom holder ko. plastic lng ksi. buti nga may bumili p nun. e lower pa sa half price ko binenta eh! HAHA :)

pls avoid text speak please. - mod
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:08:26 PM by Riff_6603 »

Offline TorototNgTama

• Netizen Level
Re: Acoustic vs. Electronic drums
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »
magkano yung yamaha DT explorer sa pilipinas?

Offline TorototNgTama

• Netizen Level
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »

Offline saucecentral0717

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »
Here are some of the things that I have noticed, hope it helps.

Acoustic advantages:

1. its the real thing, therefore, you do not need to adjust yourself in terms of reach.
2. you get to practice dynamics which is a core aspect in drumming.
3. dynamics is also controlled depending on how loud you want it or how low you want it.
4. most acoustic kits are cheaper than electronic kits
5. if you take care of your acoustic kit it can last a lifetime.
6. large space for kit customization. place a tom here and the snare there no problem.

Acoustic disadvantages:

1. by default it is loud, and being able to play it without your neighbors being mad comes with practice.
2. maintenance is difficult. if you want to maintain the integrity of your kit like the day that you have bought it then you need to be patient with the wiping.
3. keeping rust and the wood intact is also another issue, you need to make sure that your kit is in a spot that is not accessible to moisture and rain for that matter.
4. whenever you need to play in a gig and you want your drums to be the star then you have to carry a lot of things. (drummer = lugi sa buhatan)
5. depending on the area that you are going to play you must almost always change the tone of your kit. the tone that best works inside a room may not work best for a stadium setting.

Electric kit Advantages:

1. the tone of each drum is "ideal," no need for a drum key and hours of tuning. just plug it in and you are all set.
2. compact (not until pearl's e-pro live came in) most e-kits are held together with a hardware and the need for space is constant.
3. reach advantage (not until pearl's e-pro live came in) as most e-kits have only 10 inch pad or even 8 inch ones as snares, and toms and bass drums. you can easily launch that 17 stroke roll without a sweat as compared to a real kit
4. volume is controlled easily. you can use a baseball bat as drum sticks without even the next room knowing that you are practicing. You can also place the output through a headset to keep the sound to yourself.
5. dozens of kit with just one package. You can make dozens of percussion sounds as you can customize the sound of each pad.
6. recording is a breeze. no need to fancy mics, sound proof rooms, and complicated recording devices.
7. easy to carry.

Electronic kit Disadvantages:

1. expensive. most e-kits that i have encountered would cost too much that i can buy an acoustic kit + cymbals with the price that an e-kit has.
2. You can use it without power obviously. so when you feel the urge to play drums on a brown-out well you cant.
3. its an electronic appliance, similar to a TV and a ref IT WILL come to a point that it will go whack whether you play loud or not.
4. Major adjustment if you are playing from an ekit to a real kit. remember spamming that 17 stroke roll on the e-kit without a sweat? if you are used to that then you will have a hard time doing the same on a real kit.

those are as far as i know, i hope they can help. im speaking in general when i mentioned these things mga sirs  :-D

Offline ken minneman

E-Drums Vs. Acoustic Drums
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 06:23:27 AM »
At ako'y nag iipon ngayon...

(Mods, di ko po alam kung may post nang ganto before, kung meron na po, you know what to do.. wag niyo lang po idelete post ko para mabasa pa rin nila at para makakuha ako (at ang iba) ng valuable na answers.. )

Which is better E-drums or acoustic drums? Bakit?

Thanks! :lol:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:54:29 AM by ken minneman »
keenevillanueva.wordpress.com

Offline mrsticky

Re: E-Drums Vs. Acoustic Drums
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
I'm not a mod or whatever, but I think na discuss po dito yan.

http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=15057.0

check mo na lang sir.  :-D

Offline jeff_proX40

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 04:39:42 AM »
Naku maraming disadvantage ng e-drum. If you play funk and jazz you'll know what I mean. Hirap mag patunog ng hats na 32nds and 64s na may accent. Ang hirap din mag choke unless super Hi-end ng e-drums. Ring ng Ride and mga side tones na gusto mo palabasin di rin lumalabas. Sa heads naman rim shots na dynamic ang hirap palabasin at yung mga malulutong and bouncy sounds na napapalabas mo sa acoustic drum eh di mapalabas. Well dipended talaga kung anong tugtugan siguro pero if it's acid, funk, contemporary jazz, classic jazz, blues olats ang e-drums
Just let your music fill the empty spaces in you. It's all you have so take advantage of it. It's a gift!

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Noob ako pagdating sa drums.  :-D tingin nyo mga sir ano mas OK sa dalawa? may nakita ako sa Sulit e.

Fernando Drumset - PHP 13500
Electronic Drumset (Ringway) - PHP 13000

iniisip ko kung bibili ako ng acoustic kailangan ko bumili ng mas OK na Cymbals. Di ko talaga kasi trip tunog ng generic e. (may set kasi tropa ko, generic yung cymbals.)
kung e-drums naman mukang kailangan ko ng Ampli at speaker. (Tama po ba?  :? )

in the long run ano ba mas magastos? tsaka kunwari sa halagang 20K-30K ano mas ok bilin? e-drums o acoustic drums??:D

PS. Tsaka na ako bibili ng high-end na set pag mayaman na ako  :razz:

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
how much are electronic drums nowadays? yung parang Yamaha DD65.

can I do dynamics with it and cymbal chokes? thanks!

for home use and recording lang. :D

Offline thuzkee02

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Magandang discussion ito. I've learned a lot.
:)

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »
Naku maraming disadvantage ng e-drum. If you play funk and jazz you'll know what I mean. Hirap mag patunog ng hats na 32nds and 64s na may accent. Ang hirap din mag choke unless super Hi-end ng e-drums. Ring ng Ride and mga side tones na gusto mo palabasin di rin lumalabas. Sa heads naman rim shots na dynamic ang hirap palabasin at yung mga malulutong and bouncy sounds na napapalabas mo sa acoustic drum eh di mapalabas. Well dipended talaga kung anong tugtugan siguro pero if it's acid, funk, contemporary jazz, classic jazz, blues olats ang e-drums

pwede yan sa roland v series.

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »

Acoustic
feature=channel&list=UL

Same song on roland td triggering abbey road drums via Alesis triggerIO
feature=youtu.be

Offline raye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 12:46:07 AM »
i think both are good but in their own way....

i use to have acoustic kit, kaso nagkaroon ako ng noise issue sa neighbor, kaya ang only option ko is to trade it w/ an electronic kit para anytime pwedeng gamitin at less hassle sa ingay. so depende yan sa situation ng user

Philmusic Ibanez BTB club #2

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
i think both are good but in their own way....

i use to have acoustic kit, kaso nagkaroon ako ng noise issue sa neighbor, kaya ang only option ko is to trade it w/ an electronic kit para anytime pwedeng gamitin at less hassle sa ingay. so depende yan sa situation ng user

Anong e-drums gamit mo? plano ko rin bumili e. Yun din iniisip ko. yung kapitbahay.  :-D

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline raye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 11:49:48 PM »
Anong e-drums gamit mo? plano ko rin bumili e. Yun din iniisip ko. yung kapitbahay.  :-D

roland TD-9KX.....noise issue talaga ang main concern when it comes to acoustic kit :cry:
Philmusic Ibanez BTB club #2

Offline michael.astigin

• Netizen Level
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
electric drums
mas convinient se to kesa sa acoustic
kontrolable mo se yung volume tapos madali pa dalahin kung saan saan
lalo na yung mga table tops
Astigin!!

Offline kimpoy19

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »
for outdoor music, I go for acoustic drums. Hehe
Pero kung may malaking lugar and pera ka sa bahay mo, bili ka na rin acoustic drums, then kung may bata senyu, go for e-drums. hehe

Iba parin kasi talaga yung tunog ng acoustic drums for me. Almost perfect for aiming perfect drumming skills. :-)
drumming is my greatest way to praise the Lord!

Offline mrsticky

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
depende sa situation eh, if noise issue hands down sa e-drums. but for other aspects real thing is the REAL thing.

But, less upgrade ka sa e-drums, although mas mahal ang upgrade if you need to do so. I live in a condo type of accommodation provided by the company, and I have a roommate so no choice but to buy e-drums.

But still if I have chance, I play acoustic drums owned by my friend so that I don't lose the dynamics.

Offline channel

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
IMHO di dapat pagtalunan katulad ng acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar or piano vs. keyboards. Both will serve each purpose.

Offline edrummer

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 03:34:29 AM »
im a proud edrummer hehe.

Offline edrummer

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 03:44:12 AM »
Noob ako pagdating sa drums.  :-D tingin nyo mga sir ano mas OK sa dalawa? may nakita ako sa Sulit e.

Fernando Drumset - PHP 13500
Electronic Drumset (Ringway) - PHP 13000

iniisip ko kung bibili ako ng acoustic kailangan ko bumili ng mas OK na Cymbals. Di ko talaga kasi trip tunog ng generic e. (may set kasi tropa ko, generic yung cymbals.)
kung e-drums naman mukang kailangan ko ng Ampli at speaker. (Tama po ba?  :? )

in the long run ano ba mas magastos? tsaka kunwari sa halagang 20K-30K ano mas ok bilin? e-drums o acoustic drums??:D

PS. Tsaka na ako bibili ng high-end na set pag mayaman na ako  :razz:

sir bilin mo yung ringway td92 di ka magsisisi.

Offline jhesed

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
Acoustic ang gamit namin sa church. Pero bumili ako nung roland td-11k sa bahay. pag nakabili ako ng speaker baka gamitin ko na rin yun sa church. Maganda kasi yung vst na superior drummer. buhay na buhay yung tunog niya. Ang dali pang irecord.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
If going for the acoustic drum sounds, talagang panalo pa rin ang acoustic. but of course never discount the merits of electronic drums. Some rock acts, especially metal acts, have triggered kicks, and if image wasn't an issue, you'd probably have at around half of them with kick pads instead of drums.

Another advantage of electronic cymbals is tom sounds. admittedly, the toms are the most painful in the ass to tune, and head selection contributes a lot to the sound. hook the module up to a nice drum software and pick your perfectly tuned toms.

I would never trade my acoustic snare and my cymbals for its electronic counterparts though. While Zildjian has actual metal cymbals for its gen16 line, the sound sucks. And the plastic or rubber pads aren't responsive enough. good luck getting proper 32nds and 64ths and swells with it. no triangle tricks. and the hi hats are horrible. cooking is a great effort, if not downright impossible. pedal sensitivity is made for punk rockers (my own hats have like, half an inch of clearance fully open, punk rock drums are usually set up much wider).

Snares are another thing e-drums can't yet replace. where you hit the drum contributes a lot to its sound. an advanced player can actually "play" the snare wires themselves instead of focusing on the attack, and that's something you can't do on a pad. you also can't do that gradual turning on of the snares trick. and yes, those rolls don't really get picked up well by the pads. oh and forget about brushes.

If you're playing jazz or some really expressive form/genre of drumming, acoustic is the only way to go. but for much else, the electronic drums have its place. Straight up pop and rock is the best fit for e-drums. I actually don't understand why pop producers even still track live drums just to trigger them. and for triggering sounds, e-drums are the way to go. Personally, I can go and replace my toms and kick with pads and leave my snare and cymbals for a hybrid set. and maybe even get a trigger array for electronica sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili