hulika

Author Topic: Stratocaster or Telecaster?  (Read 5174 times)

itchybrain

Re: Stratocaster or Telecaster?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »

but since this will be your very first electric guitar, i say keep on saving until you get enough to buy a really good guitar that will NOT frustrate you with intonation/tuning problems. in other words, invest on something that will help you hone your playing. my mistake when i got my first electric was that i forced getting one with the small budget i had. i just ended up wanting a better one and wish i waited so more and saved up for it. that itch can be a b*tch!

my PhP 0.02 on this, happy hunting!

Totoo 'to. Ito rin nangyari sa akin nung una ako bumili ng squier.  :lol:

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
^ No prob.

Of course, you get them second hand. Pero sulit lalo na kung orig na Fender Japan. Marami na ring threads dito tungkol diyan. Just search, 'tol.

I got all my MIJs here at Philmusic. Antay ka lang. Huwag ka magmadali. Makaka-tiempo ka. :-D  Or pwede ring build your own. Maraming tutulong sa iyo dito sa Philmusic pag humingi ka ng advice about building your own strat.

yeah I think going the route itchybrain's suggesting would be wiser in the long run  :-D naka jap ka pa.

itchybrain

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »

^ Thanks, Cy. :-)

Of course, we all want that dream guitar. In my case-- the '62 Fender Strat. But until then I'll follow my sig. :-D

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »
^ Thanks, Cy. :-)

Of course, we all want that dream guitar. In my case-- the '62 Fender Strat. But until then I'll follow my sig. :-D

No prob, man.

To the threadstarter, share ko lang. I'm a real strat fan and many have suggested it because of versatility and I stand by it. I love my strats and they give me the sound I'm after and can cover a lot of ground in terms of sound. But later on I wanted to try out other sounds. Maybe get one first for now then later on take that step in trying out a tele or an LP for a different "color" to your sound but for a starting out electric, the strat will give you dozens of options for playing.

Offline dalandan

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
with all things being equal, saan ka mas masaya? would you ENJOY playing on a strat more than a tele or vise versa? i bought a les paul as my first guitar because 1. i didn't know any better 2. i thought it was the sexiest guitar in the world.

whatever makes you happy should do for a first guitar. :-) a strat or a tele wouldn't be a bad choice any way. single coil goodness in both but different tonal qualities.

a tele might be be easier for you to use as a beginner because it's a simpler design.

Offline Jagmaster

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »
i already tried the two... a washburn strat and an affinity tele by squier... i have no problem between the two but i love the look of the tele more than the strat... it clearly suits my personality... simple and practical... but then looks cannot just be my priority... that's why i'm really looking for your help guys... i am just a beginner and can you suggest what brand or specific model of guitar you would recommend me... too bad installment lang ang mode of payment na kaya ko... i'm just a first year college student  :-(

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 04:08:31 AM »
i already tried the two... a washburn strat and an affinity tele by squier... i have no problem between the two but i love the look of the tele more than the strat... it clearly suits my personality... simple and practical... but then looks cannot just be my priority... that's why i'm really looking for your help guys... i am just a beginner and can you suggest what brand or specific model of guitar you would recommend me... too bad installment lang ang mode of payment na kaya ko... i'm just a first year college student  :-(

For the cheaper but ok models, go for the Squier by Fender vintage modified series strat. It's worth a look since you said installment kaya mo.

Offline cowboi_way

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
ito payong kapatid...

ive been into crappy strats before i settled into mim fender, mag ipon ka to get a decent fender strat mapa mij mim mia .

fender standard strat (standard lang)squire by fender strat cali (crap)fender fm 25dsp (crappy)marshall ms-2r (great sounding amp, cool od)yamaha fx370c (ok na rin)kahon - maestro ( nakita sa mag used by escueta)line 6 - floor pod ( yeah  ! )
fender-dc60

Offline jrome

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »
tele

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
Save up for at least an MIM Fender Strat if you want the bonafide Strat tone, or wait for the occasional Jap Fender in the classifieds. You'd want it to be alder or ash, with three single coils, and standard trem (not Floyd). Now if you wants a Strat with balls, then get the Tele next. :P

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
tele
Save up for at least an MIM Fender Strat if you want the bonafide Strat tone, or wait for the occasional Jap Fender in the classifieds. You'd want it to be alder or ash, with three single coils, and standard trem (not Floyd). Now if you wants a Strat with balls, then get the Tele next. :P

You guys think maybe Jagmaster has decided already? (old thread na!) :)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 05:37:13 PM »
^Oops didn't check the entry dates. My bad. :P

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »
i own a standard jap fender tele and a 50s reish fender strat, if at all possible get both, hehehe.
tele has more balls (sorry strat lovers), but i do love the neck and middle pu tone that i only get on my strat.

as for the tele being more complicated, its actually the contrary if you consider that compared to the strat, it only has two knobs (one volume and the tone controls both neck and bridge pus), three pu positions, two pick ups, and has a fixed bridge.

all that considered, the tele is beauty in simplicity and lets you just concentrate on your playing.

it still all boils down to what most of the dudes here already told you, choose one that you feel "at one" with. cant go wrong with either models.

as for custom made ones, yeah there are some really great custom made ones here (check the elegee threads). but i am not sure about your budget.

but since this will be your very first electric guitar, i say keep on saving until you get enough to buy a really good guitar that will NOT frustrate you with intonation/tuning problems. in other words, invest on something that will help you hone your playing. my mistake when i got my first electric was that i forced getting one with the small budget i had. i just ended up wanting a better one and wish i waited so more and saved up for it. that itch can be a b*tch!

my PhP 0.02 on this, happy hunting!

nice one,bro!
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
Guys I am just a beginner and planning to buy my first electric guitar. Which one do you consider for me and probably what brand? I want a good guitar wherein the sound is good either amplified or not amplified. Thanks!
amplified and not amplified? get an acoustic electric guitar then.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Mindovermatter

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 11:21:43 PM »
Tele.  :wink:

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 05:41:14 AM »
I spent years playing nothing but stratocasters because of my love of the blues. Then I realized a couple of things. First, I realized that I never used the middle pickup - ever. In fact for quite some time I just went ahead and started having the middle pickup disconnected. The next thing I realized was that I never used positions 2 or 4 either. So basically, after years of playing, I realized the only thing I ever used on a strat was the bridge and neck pickup.

Then I started messing with telecasters. I discovered that I like the tone of the telecaster bridge pickup much more than that of the strat. You can get the strat tone out of a tele bridge pickup, by just rolling the tone control back a very little. However, you cannot get that distinct telecaster bridge sound from a strat. In regards to the neck pickup, if you raise the neck pickup on a tele a bit, you get a beautiful bluesy/jazzy tone that you just can't get with a strat.

So after years of playing a strat, I made the switch to telecasters. They are simple, yet versatile. To me, the tele sound can't be beat.

Be well,

Doc
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline electricon27

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
 :-) mga sir, i have hamer strat. but i like tele more.bumili kasi ng affinity tele brother ko from philmusic. maganda pala porma at mas trip ko na sya. hehehe . in terms of functionality naman halos pareho naman good for blues, alternative. siguro panabla ko nalang sa kanya kapag nakabili na ko ng lp hehehe!
LETS RAWK!

Offline lindtaylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
1 point for Strat on Versatility

1 point for Tele on Twanggy sound

:roll: :roll: :roll:

mm.. Depends on your tune..

Try to experiment..

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 02:34:01 AM »
Guys I am just a beginner and planning to buy my first electric guitar. Which one do you consider for me and probably what brand? I want a good guitar wherein the sound is good either amplified or not amplified. Thanks!

Buy a Yamaha Pacifica Stratocaster with a Humbucker in the bridge position.

Yamaha Pacifica's are the best "low end" guitars. You need a strat because it's a LOT more versatile than a telecaster.

1. You have 3 pickups with a 5-way switch. This means, you get a lot more possible combinations or "tones". You will also have 2 tone knobs that you can play around with. The volume knob is also closer to the bridge in a strat which will help you in rolling it on and off - a very important skill, IMO.

2. You will have a "taste" of the humbucker sound with your bridge pickup. You will rarely see tele's with bridge humbuckers (and I won't call that tele a tele if it has a bridge humbucker anyway). And, guitarists use the bridge pickup more than any other pickup position.

3. You will have a tremolo bar. This should help you find out for yourself if you want a trem guitar or a fixed bridge. Some people are whammy bar happy, and some absolutely hates them and will only play fixed bridges.

All these are because you are a beginner. You can get a lot of sounds, and learn the vast majority of the guitar techniques and "tricks" with a strat. Your HSS Pacifica Strat (preferably, 22 frets) will help you explore more of the electric guitar's capabilities, and conversely, help you be yourself as an aspiring guitarist.

Bottom line: Go with a HSS Pacifica Stratocaster.

By the way, unless you're a rich kid, I won't recommend buying expensive guitars (or even mid-priced guitars). At this point in time, you don't need it. Play your cheapo guitar 'til your fingers hurt! Trust me, there are a lot of guitarists out there playing expensive guitars but cannot play them right (even tune them right) and sound crappy. But I've seen and heard very skillful guitarists playing cheapo guitars that makes may say "WOW!"

"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline toybitz

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 05:12:16 AM »
try out both.

the guitar picks the player, not the under way around. (ano 'to Harry Potter?) hahaha!

Kidding aside.

the Strat imho is more versatile.  go for it.

but I'd encourage you to discover the players who plays teles exclusively and strats exclusively.  Listen to their style and music, then gauge yours.

then, it doesn't stop there.

You may spend to own both to discover pa if the guitar is what you really want.

Daming dumaan sa akin na tele, I tried loving it.  My last two teles were great but I was convinced I couldn't enjoy the sound..and somehow, the feel.  Took me awhile to finally accept it because I like the looks, and I admire the tele players.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?