hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 256903 times)

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #475 on: February 03, 2007, 07:13:37 AM »
BAMF, a sure sign of your success these days: i saw an ad in the classifieds with the following description included - SCALARIZED......

more success to you guys.... i'll try to drop by one of these days, will be having my Bruno Conqueror scandalized, este scalarized..................

Chum
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #476 on: February 03, 2007, 07:38:43 AM »
34 pages. less than two weeks. wow.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #477 on: February 03, 2007, 08:20:03 AM »
34 pages. less than two weeks. wow.

eh ang dirtcraft kailan kaya?" lalo na ung owner? magpapakabit din kaya ng scalarizer sa guitara niya?
abangan ang susunod na kabanata....

"Practice makes perfect."

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #478 on: February 03, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »
I had my RG7321 with stock pickups scalarized yesterday! I told BAMF that I want the metal core scalarizer installed. After he installed the scalarizer, I noticed that the notes sound much much clearer! Clean tone and slight overdrive sounds ung napakinggan ko sa shop niya using his Fender amp so I said to myself "I need to go home... must try the guitar using Hi-gain... must go home... need my Digitech XMM and a marshall to slay!!!

Umuwi agad ako (excited to use my guitar using insane gain settings), excited sobra to try it at home using my rig. I used my Digitech Metal Master and a Boss GE-7 through a marshall valvestate 8080. Hindi muna ako gumamit ng modulation. When I started playing riffs even using the low-B, DAMN! ang linaw ng tunog! hindi muddy ung mga low notes. When u play solos! It really shines! clarity to the highest level! Sweep arpeggios sound soooooooooooooooo sweet using the neck pickup! YUM YUM!!! Kelangan ng practice para hindi na sumabit! heheheheh  :-D

Hindi ko tlaga maexplain! Ganda sobra!

To sum up everything, AS OF THE MOMENT I NO LONGER HAVE PLANS TO REPLACE THE PICK-UPS ON MY 7 STRING!  :-D

BAMF gawa ka ng scalarizers na aside from doing their thingy. ngpapalakas pa ng output ng pickups! hehehehe para no need na tlga magpalit ng pickups ung mga tao! especially ung mga metal players heheheheh  :-D

Pero what more if you get new pickups as well, ever wonder what it would sound like? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh my! probably tonal wet dreams!!! heheheheheh DAMN! kelan b mgkakastock ng duncan distortion 7 at jazz 7 sa audiophile?! heheheheh  :-D

I'll bring my 6 string RG equipped with Mr. Scary's pickup in the bridge position next time! I wonder how will it sound like after the scalarizer is installed! hmmmm...

Uy, screamin demon pickup, i used to have that pickup, ganda ng tunog, old school tone but it really bites, what more pa pag na scalarized? patay tayo dyan!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

yup! screamin demon sa bridge. sa Rg321 ko sya nilagay! mahogany body pero ayos na ayos rin! i'll have this baby scalarized soon! isa isa muna, matagal ko napabayaan ung 7 string ko eh! sya muna lalaruin ko, kse baka kapag scalarized na rin ung RG321, baka hindi ko mapigilan sarili ko at gamitin ko sila ng sabay! using both hands legato! heheheheh

Haha!! sabay parang Michael Angelo Batio. :-D :-D :-D

Parang si michael angelo pero puro sabit! heheheheheheh Practice muna ako ulit! heheheh :-D
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #479 on: February 03, 2007, 10:38:24 AM »
sir BAMF pwede ba yan sa semi hollow na guitars? 09208037430 pag ok painstall ako s guitar ko. tnx

si titser_marco..scalarized na ung 335 model nya na guitar...ganda ng tunog..what more if urs is scalarized na rin?
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #480 on: February 03, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »
What a perfect, perfect night. Got to meet the Blue Rats in person. Scalarized Blue Buddha's guitar on the spot and hear it in action. It wasn't loud-set, but it surely CUT right into the mix !

Haayyyy...too tired...even perfect nights and days can bring a very happy tiredness. Sheet...I'm falling asleep on my keyboopiasdufopisjsdljf;lskdfj-09UR.90U0ISDJFSJC[V904UR904JFSODFJVO;LXJVLJLVJL;KXJVXLKVJLKJX SFSDFASF

A hysterically funny evening. Picture this:

• A gaggle of musicians who could barely squeeze onto stage -- naka side-view na para hindi mag banggaan sa dami ng gitarista. Dyanibee the bass player and whitey the harp player are sitting in chairs off stage so everyone will fit.
• A rotating lineup of jammers one after the other.
• A gaggle of musicians with beers sitting around tables talking about a small pile of wired tootsie rolls.
• Off to the side, a makeshift soldering station set up to wire the tootsie rolls into guitars.

Cross reference to this thread: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php?topic=34134.msg351787#msg351787

Some preliminary findings:

• Scalarized guitars do cut through the mix in a full band (or full-er band) setting.
• veggie joe's scalarized strat with 9's compares very favorably with a stock EJ strat strung with 11's. Fatness, detail, punch, cut, and clarity all there.
• Seems like the tootsie roll works for p90 equipped axes. A PRS SE with the scalarizer sounded great.
• psychic_sushi is a hot guitar player.
• BAMF is a gracious and generous dude, not to mention a really nice guy to boot.
• Remarkable what "tone spite" can acccomplish.  :lol:
• Judging from the folks at the gig, the blues is alive and well in the Philippines.
• Judging from the folks at the gig, there are other geeks like us in the Philippines.  :-D

Exactly what the tootsie roll does for guitar tone still has to be articulated. Will try to do some kind of a review after monkeying around a little bit more with other guitars. At the outset, it's encouraging.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #481 on: February 03, 2007, 01:38:01 PM »
• A rotating lineup of jammers one after the other.

May double dipping pa of Slim sauce and second servings of Sushi!

• Off to the side, a makeshift soldering station set up to wire the tootsie rolls into guitars.

Better w/ pics...

BAMF & BB getting jigged up at the makeshift operating table of Mag:net...

BAMF wields his 'excalibur' iron and dives in....

Meanwhile, BB goes to the john and comes back to see the operation is finished (like 2mins?!).  Here's BAMF testing his work, picking out It Hurts Me Too, complete w/ guitar face.

On the sidelines, psychic_sushi, gives a courtesy call to maestro "Yatpu" and is (accdg to him), "tickled pink" to meet and talk shop w/ the living legend of Philippine blues-jazz fusion guitar.  See him literally 'looking up' to kuya Joey?  Now that's respect, y'all!

Later he gets to jam w/ his idol and the Blue Rats... and proceeds to WOW 'em!

• BAMF is a gracious and generous dude, not to mention a really nice guy to boot.
• Remarkable what "tone spite" can acccomplish.  :lol:
• Judging from the folks at the gig, the blues is alive and well in the Philippines.
• Judging from the folks at the gig, there are other geeks like us in the Philippines.  :-D

O ayan! 

BAMF, KitC, Sushi - I hope you remember our 'midnight resolution' ;-)  You guys are too smart, knowledgeable, and talented to attend to mundane, showbiz stuff. Let's make this one big tone party for all tone geeks.   Let's push the envelope of knowledge, not each other's button.     

Having said that... di ba talaga pwede makahingi copy nung "scandal"?!  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:06:04 PM by deltaslim »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #482 on: February 03, 2007, 03:13:40 PM »
Agreed, Bos Joric. I guess the point is made. Unless someone wants the point to be driven deeper...like a stake through the heart, or something like that.

At any rate, my monsterized cheap gear is ready, willing and able to kick boutique ass any day.

But for now, fun and friendship is the theme. :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #483 on: February 03, 2007, 03:18:31 PM »
Agreed, Bos Joric. I guess the point is made. Unless someone wants the point to be driven deeper...like a stake through the heart, or something like that.

At any rate, my monsterized cheap gear is ready, willing and able to kick boutique ass any day.

BAMF, you better start making scalarizers for international marketing.  Someone is silently interested as well.   

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #484 on: February 03, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »
Edited: I might have read that one  wrong so...here's the edit.

Anyway, talks are already underway, but hitting the AsiaPac region first. If there's someone who will help me pene the American and European markets, I'm all game :D

BAMF, you better start making scalarizers for international marketing.  Someone is silently interested as well.   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 05:18:00 PM by BAMF »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #485 on: February 03, 2007, 05:24:49 PM »
Oh...except the blighted one.

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #486 on: February 03, 2007, 06:48:11 PM »
Wish you all the luck in the world and more importantly success in your endeavor...

Looking forward to trying it out...  Heh Heh :) 

Just have to ready some stuff and some preparations I have done to really test it out:
1. Pulled out my BBE stinger out of my closet.  Lininis ko dahil sabi ng iba parang sonic maximizer.
2. Set up batteries of my Legendary Tones George Lynch Time machine boost.  Sabi kasi ng iba may clarity na dag dag sa treble -- so I have to use a treble boost function.
3. Set up my Les Paul.  Sabi rin ng iba kasi nagdagdag ng twang sa Les Paul.  Hihiram rin pala ako ng twangy na Tele.
4. Checked my Herbert kasi sabi rin ng iba na may 3d soundstage.
5. Tested the volume pots on my Super Lead Kasi sabi ng iba at any volume raw maganda.  For cranking sa 10.
6. Checked the Vox AC30 brilliant low gain Channel because again sabi ng iba may chime na dagdag.
7. Readied the Bogner Uberschall kasi may METAL version ka raw ng scalarizer.
8. Pinapalit ko na and Estring ng Moon ko na naka titanium saddles dahil wala sa intonation kasi claim niyo it beats titanium and this is my guitar with the least amount of titanium.
9. Also put back my Van den Hul cable versus my really dead sounding Klotz La Grange. I am hoping that the scalarizer put back some life in this so that I don't have to buy another Van den Hul.
10. Naka standby na rin ang soldering iron and solder.  Also on standy ang hammer ko to smash it if sounds that bad. 

Yup I know its only 500 bucks -- it costs more effort to really test this thing out.

P.S. Balita ko mayroon na nagtatanggalan --  Sa mga nagtatanggalan, dapat babad muna ng mga three months at least to give a fair assessment unless its that bad sounding. 

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #487 on: February 03, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »
Pa-sensiya na mga bossing.  Sa dami kasi ng mga descriptors, I have to do AB via process of elimination.  I could just compare my guitar's sound before and after but if it sounds worse, I cannot stop there kasi naman baka may ibang application na maganda even if it degrades the sound of my guitar. 

BAMF,

Pa-dala mo na lang kay Deltaslim... Will give him payment. 

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #488 on: February 03, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
Wish you all the luck in the world and more importantly success in your endeavor...

Looking forward to trying it out...  Heh Heh :) 

Just have to ready some stuff and some preparations I have done to really test it out:
1. Pulled out my BBE stinger out of my closet.  Lininis ko dahil sabi ng iba parang sonic maximizer.
2. Set up batteries of my Legendary Tones George Lynch Time machine boost.  Sabi kasi ng iba may clarity na dag dag sa treble -- so I have to use a treble boost function.
3. Set up my Les Paul.  Sabi rin ng iba kasi nagdagdag ng twang sa Les Paul.  Hihiram rin pala ako ng twangy na Tele.
4. Checked my Herbert kasi sabi rin ng iba na may 3d soundstage.
5. Tested the volume pots on my Super Lead Kasi sabi ng iba at any volume raw maganda.  For cranking sa 10.
6. Checked the Vox AC30 brilliant low gain Channel because again sabi ng iba may chime na dagdag.
7. Readied the Bogner Uberschall kasi may METAL version ka raw ng scalarizer.
8. Pinapalit ko na and Estring ng Moon ko na naka titanium saddles dahil wala sa intonation kasi claim niyo it beats titanium and this is my guitar with the least amount of titanium.
9. Also put back my Van den Hul cable versus my really dead sounding Klotz La Grange. I am hoping that the scalarizer put back some life in this so that I don't have to buy another Van den Hul.
10. Naka standby na rin ang soldering iron and solder.  Also on standy ang hammer ko to smash it if sounds that bad. 

Yup I know its only 500 bucks -- it costs more effort to really test this thing out.

P.S. Balita ko mayroon na nagtatanggalan --  Sa mga nagtatanggalan, dapat babad muna ng mga three months at least to give a fair assessment unless its that bad sounding. 

A great big yawn to you.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #489 on: February 03, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »
It's USD$400 for you.

The day you buy a Scalarizer at its normal price will be the day you spent your most expensive P500.

Because you will have virtually given me a******on that day.

Bring it on !
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:26:31 PM by markflo »

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2007, 08:41:12 PM »
Ok I am sufficiently intrigued. (And not about blow jobs either) - While not a guitarist myself I think this is a good story so I'd like to write up the whole Scalarizer saga as an article, with quotes from satisfied users. What say you BAMF baby?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:42:49 PM by Jim Ayson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2007, 08:58:48 PM »
BAMF,

You are not my type...

Its not worth US$400 for me.  Chicken!!! 

No matter, will get them 2nd handjobbed... heh heh. 

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #492 on: February 03, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »
Sir Jim you should try going to Antons place. I even tried the Scalarizer on a Snare Drum after i change the drumheads of BAMF's Kit. You also as a drummer should hear it for yourself on what the scalarizer can do, not only to an electronic instrument but also on a acoustic stuff like drums. :)
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #493 on: February 03, 2007, 10:18:13 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-P :-P :-P :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

lolz
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #494 on: February 03, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »
Sus pros yabangan lang hay...sir Oas kung kompyansa ka sa mga gears mo bat di ka sumipot nung nakaraan nawawalan tuloy ako ng bilib sa mga gears na pinag mamalaki mo...
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »
Woo ! The guy who went running  on the appointed day of the shootout calls me chicken ! Hahehehe. How funny.

We're still waiting Max !

But I guess you didn't get what I mean. Buy a scalarizer at any price, and from anyone and you will have given me a blowjob. To spell it out,  you are not worthy of the benefits of the scalarizer. It was made only for musicians and not for bragheads.

And at this point, we already know what your review will contain because...hey...you've got too much to lose. Titanium trem block ? 10 seconds sustain ? Heck...my RJ PRS hit a sustain of more than 1 minute tonight. Ask Carabao ! 

"Real musicians" gave their reviews. People I just met because they were open-minded enough to try it and left the shop smiling wide. And that is a proud feeling for me that all your money cannot buy.

Shoot it out with someone who's got it on his guitar. I'm sure even Jim the Man will be happy to referee. But the moment you buy it, 2nd hand or whatever, you will have given me the grandest blowjob of my stay here in Philmusic. Go ahead ! Do it !  :-D :-D :-D :evil: :evil:

HARDOGEI!!! Ayuda !!! Don't just buy one...come get some !!!

BAMF,

You are not my type...

Its not worth US$400 for me.  Chicken!!! 

No matter, will get them 2nd handjobbed... heh heh. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:57:51 AM by BAMF »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #496 on: February 04, 2007, 03:56:13 AM »
Yes Bos Jim ! Definitely ! Drop by the shop. 2 fresh batches of scalarizers have just been completed today, I can definitely give you a demo, even of the acoustic scalarizers. Just say when !

Ok I am sufficiently intrigued. (And not about blow jobs either) - While not a guitarist myself I think this is a good story so I'd like to write up the whole Scalarizer saga as an article, with quotes from satisfied users. What say you BAMF baby?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2007, 07:59:37 AM »
Pa-sensiya na mga bossing.  Sa dami kasi ng mga descriptors, I have to do AB via process of elimination.  I could just compare my guitar's sound before and after but if it sounds worse, I cannot stop there kasi naman baka may ibang application na maganda even if it degrades the sound of my guitar. 

BAMF,

Pa-dala mo na lang kay Deltaslim... Will give him payment. 

You mean via Arie or Lito?  Eh sana pala kumuha ako ng stock kay BAMF nung Fri dahil nag-rehearsal kami ni Arie kagabi.  He texted me a few hours before asking if I had a scalarized gtr (Lito asked a few days before too); he's interested to audition it. Kaso short notice... Sayang, could have handed it to Arie, Lito, or even Steve.

@BAMF - We finished rehearsal almost midnight na kagabi; di ko na kaya dumaan kasi (as you know) puyat na tayo from the previous night.

Although, my own guitars have not been scalarized yet, here's a mini-review based on scalarized guitars whose stock tones I remember well and heard the other night:  Jaime's Strat and BB's PRS SE w/ P90s.

The scalarizer added dynamic range and seems to fill out the minute 'gaps' in the freq range of the gtr/pu. In a single coil, P90, or scatterwound PAF-type pu like the Burny VH1, this is what contributes to the character and perceived microphonics of the pu -- which is what makes it distinct from every other pickup.  By 'filling in the gaps' the scalarizer made the sound fuller (phat) without actually pushing the freqs up!  I'm amazed how it did it that!  But at the same time, you might miss those little quirks of your pu, as well as some mid-bite.  To my ears, the Strat sounded less like the classic Strat tone that I remembered it to be. Partida nga, naka 9s yung Strat pero sounded like 11s, which might be a good thing since you can play efortlessly w/ 9s but sounded phat like on 11s!  For cutting through the mix, it's a boon.  With the PRS SE, same observations pero what's encouraging is that it generally didn't change the P90 tone that much, which was my main worry!  Enhanced pa ang dyanmic range but again there might be times you wanna go back to the quirkier, rawer, naked tone and P90. So there... that's my generally unscientific review.  I hope to do a more thorough and detailed test when I'm down at PIMP.

Having said that, I suggest people seriously consider adding a switch option, an idea I heard from both vjoe and microchimp.  Like any modification, the pre-scalarized and scalarized tones are two different tones, not a GOOD vs BAD tone dichotomy.  There would be some times or applications that you'd like the scalarized effect, and sometimes not.  One is not necessarily better than the other, just different.  Magkakatalo na lang talaga sa taste, mood, or application mo.  So pag may nagsasabing gusto nila tanggalin ang scalarizer, they mainly want to get back the tone they used to remember.  Pero pano na when they want the scalarizer effect ulit for certain applications?  Tama yung switch idea nila vjoe and microchimp for people who want the best of both worlds. 

Just my 2 humble cents.

Offline maniacally_cool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2007, 08:16:43 AM »

Although, my own guitars have not been scalarized yet, here's a mini-review based on scalarized guitars whose stock tones I remember well and heard the other night:  Jaime's Strat and BB's PRS SE w/ P90s.

The scalarizer added dynamic range and seems to fill out the minute 'gaps' in the freq range of the gtr/pu. In a single coil, P90, or scatterwound PAF-type pu like the Burny VH1, this is what contributes to the character and perceived microphonics of the pu -- which is what makes it distinct from every other pickup.  By 'filling in the gaps' the scalarizer made the sound fuller (phat) without actually pushing the freqs up!  I'm amazed how it did it that!  But at the same time, you might miss those little quirks of your pu, as well as some mid-bite.  To my ears, the Strat sounded less like the classic Strat tone that I remembered it to be. Partida nga, naka 9s yung Strat pero sounded like 11s, which might be a good thing since you can play efortlessly w/ 9s but sounded phat like on 11s!  For cutting through the mix, it's a boon.  With the PRS SE, same observations pero what's encouraging is that it generally didn't change the P90 tone that much, which was my main worry!  Enhanced pa ang dyanmic range but again there might be times you wanna go back to the quirkier, rawer, naked tone and P90. So there... that's my generally unscientific review.  I hope to do a more thorough and detailed test when I'm down at PIMP.

Just my 2 humble cents.

sir delta, would you happen to know what scalarizer ung asa above mentioned guitars?

thanks

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #499 on: February 04, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »
ah basta! ako satisfied talaga, sir BAMF, you're heaven sent! kapag may time me ulit, i'll have my other guitars scalarized as well.
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!