hulika

Author Topic: Alesis Power Supply/Troubleshooting  (Read 1825 times)

Offline 601210

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Alesis Power Supply/Troubleshooting
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
To start, I assumed that this would be the correct place to post this, since a rackmount effects processor doesn't exactly fall under guitar discussion, and there doesn't seem to be a forum specifically for gear, aside from the Classifieds. If there is, and this topic is somehow misplaced, pamove nalang.

Around last year, I bought a Nanoverb secondhand from a forumite. Perfect condition naman, superficial scratches lang, though the power supply was already in the early stages of failure. I guess inevitable issue sya with thin wires, pero may breaks sa loob, parang sa lumang earphones na kilangan galaw galawin para gumana. Ok naman sya for a while basta hindi ko masipa or anything, pero a couple of weeks ago nawalan nalang ng power bigla yung Nanoverb.

No power at all, as far as I can tell. Wala yung indicator, no sound. So malamang either yung power supply sya o yung unit, and since suspect na yung power supply to begin with, dun ko muna binibigay pansin ko, bago ko buksan at kalikutin yung Nanoverb mismo. Pansin ko nga lang, medyo kakaiba yung power supply nito. It's a square box, 110v in 9v out, and the plug slightly resembles the common Boss plugs. Mas malawak nga lang yung hollowed out na part sa loob kaya incompatible dito yung Boss power supplies.

Does anyone here have experience and/or information with or regarding Alesis gear? Kung may information kayo tungkol sa mga power supply ng Alesis, or kung may distributor sila sa Pilipinas, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Alesis Power Supply/Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 03:18:47 PM »
Also check if the 9V out is DC or AC...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline j.j.z.j

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
Usually Alesis requires 9v AC 1A. I just did a DIY power supply of mine by purchaisng a 9V 1300mah AC/DC adapter, opened it up and removed the pcb and other electronic parts inside leaving just the transformer. Then connect the output of the transformer to the output wires going to the processor. I've been using mine for quite sometime now and no issue whatsoever. You can also try google how to do it. HTH!  :-)

Offline 601210

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
Also check if the 9V out is DC or AC...
It's DC. Joke lang, I checked again, AC sya. Haha.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:45:38 PM by 601210 »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »
Alesis sometimes puts a thermal fuse in the transformer coils of the adapter. I found this out when my QS6 adapter suddenly went dead. This is a bit hard to replace though it may be possible to find a replacement at Deeco or Alexan, albeit rarely. You can short out the fuse out of the circuit, but you run the risk of burning up your adaptor. Mine hasn't yet, and it's been 10 yrs now, although I do use it after a voltage regulator just to make sure.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline 601210

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:32:33 AM »
Alesis sometimes puts a thermal fuse in the transformer coils of the adapter. I found this out when my QS6 adapter suddenly went dead. This is a bit hard to replace though it may be possible to find a replacement at Deeco or Alexan, albeit rarely. You can short out the fuse out of the circuit, but you run the risk of burning up your adaptor. Mine hasn't yet, and it's been 10 yrs now, although I do use it after a voltage regulator just to make sure.

Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll try to open up the adapter. On another note, would you know of any Alesis dealers in the Philippines?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
would you know of any Alesis dealers in the Philippines?

5th Ave/Avesco
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire