hulika

Author Topic: Ang lalakas pumalo ng mga PINOY!! Let's settle the Issue.......  (Read 9406 times)

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: Ang lalakas pumalo ng mga PINOY!! Let's settle the Issue.......
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
Other than Kenny Aronoff, there are many more examples...  There's Travis Barker (I'm sure everybody here has seen his Soulja Boy Remix clip), Virgil Donati (yeah I think he's quite a hard hitter too; yet he plays with care and finesse), the late great John Bonham (who was said to be blacklisted on several clubs in England during his early playing days due to his high volume), Dave Grohl (especially during his Nirvana days), Neil Peart (during his younger, pre-Freddie Gruber days), Matt Sorum, Brad Wilk...  I even saw footages of Vinnie Colaiuta really wailing on his cymbals.  The list can go on and on.....

Yet, there's something common about the drummers I mentioned...  They are aware of their dynamics, and they seem to know which is dynamically appropriate for the music they're playing.  Even if their volume can go overboard at times, it's still going to be quality sound and performance.

Quality...  Another very important factor we should be aware of.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:30:57 PM by drumster »

Offline chengbang69

• Netizen Level
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
fingers + wrist best combo para sa mahinang pag hampas
1 e & a 2 e & a tugish takish

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »
oh and i have to add...yung mga nasa gospel chops! di pa ba malakas yun??  :lol:
naaalala ko dati nung natingin ako ng gear sa guitar center, may black kid dun na tumutugtog sa Yamaha manu katche kit, grabe ang lakas ang palo! ang tugtog niya nun gospel din, pinatigil na siya nung isang employee dun kahit na hindi pa nalagpas ng 5 mins. yung play time niya (may 5 minute limit dito eh)
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Bro intake, siguro kasing-lakas yon ng paghampas ng matabang bata sa avatar mo hehe!  :-D

In that case, physical factors are involved.  There are some drummers who seem to be too physical with their playing, it comes to a point where in it's not healthy anymore for the music, for the equipment, and most especially for our ears.  Plus, playing too hard or too tensioned can more likely cause an injury, which may become a threat for us to discontinue drumming (scary thought).

We should keep in mind that we do not need to overdo ourselves by playing physically hard all the time.  But if we want to sound louder, we shouldn't bash the drumkit.  Instead, invest on equipment which are designed for high volume levels.  And when we're in a live setting, let the mics and the sound system help us project our sound.  Let our equipment help us do the work. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:59:20 PM by drumster »

Offline el Brutal

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »
si dennis chambers pa!

Offline 4pedz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »
si dennis chambers pa!

hahaha, one of my idols!!! hehehe

pero may dynamics naman siya a? i mean, nilalakasan nya palo nya pag kelangan, yun nga lang, mahilig siya mag drums solo, may vid ako napanood, wala nagawa yung guitaris chka yung pianist, kasi ang tagal niya matapos, hehehe
4pedz
FOR OFFERS AND BOOKINGS PLS TXT 0923 907 5876 sun/ 0927 848 8179 globe

Offline el Brutal

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
hahaha, one of my idols!!! hehehe

pero may dynamics naman siya a? i mean, nilalakasan nya palo nya pag kelangan, yun nga lang, mahilig siya mag drums solo, may vid ako napanood, wala nagawa yung guitaris chka yung pianist, kasi ang tagal niya matapos, hehehe

exactly! hahaha..

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »
Bro intake, siguro kasing-lakas yon ng paghampas ng matabang bata sa avatar mo hehe!  :-D

In that case, physical factors are involved.  There are some drummers who seem to be too physical with their playing, it comes to a point where in it's not healthy anymore for the music, for the equipment, and most especially for our ears.  Plus, playing too hard or too tensioned can more likely cause an injury, which may become a threat for us to discontinue drumming (scary thought).

We should keep in mind that we do not need to overdo ourselves by playing physically hard all the time.  But if we want to sound louder, we shouldn't bash the drumkit.  Instead, invest on equipment which are designed for high volume levels.  And when we're in a live setting, let the mics and the sound system help us project our sound.  Let our equipment help us do the work. 

before playing take time to stretch and warm up. your body will thank you for this and it will avoid injury. i confess i play loud, but I always take time to warm up and stretch. by the way if you have the MODERN DRUMMER Feb 1997 issue, Danny Carey yung cover, there's an article there "HOW TO PLAY LOUD"! Ive been reading this ever since and sharing the article with players who play loud...

:-D

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »
You mentioned that the bassist has played with VARIOUS artists. He could have gotten used to hearing and playing with such great foreign drummers with complete finesse and skill that not all drummers have.

Its normal to have that kind of reaction. In an unfamiliar environment, you criticize your surroundings. Baka nasanay na siya sa magagaling talaga, nanibago siya sa tunog ng mga pinoy.

Anyway, its really important to practice dynamics.

"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
I got the Chance to play with the country's bass legend last Sunday. He's Mr Colby dela Calzada. He played with various artists like Kevin Lettau, Affinity and many others. Ngayon he said one thing that got my attention. Ang lalakas daw tumugtog ng mga drummer na pinoy. Kasi Drum is almost 100% acoustic instruments that depends on the room's acoustics so he's expecting the drummer should have his own "mixer". Mixer meaning he can adjust his volume. Reklamo daw kasi ng mga drummers pag humina sila eh nawawala yung feel. Actually yun ren reklamo ko if someone asks me to tone down. He also commented one time when TOTO guested in ABSCBN and heard the sessionist playing, Toto said "They're the loudest band we've ever heard".

So ito na lang, Are we too loud? And Foreign drummers are "laid back"?
I need people who somehow watched/opened for/knew a foreign drummer.

Salamat!!

you don't need to hit the drums hard to be a good drummer. louder isn't necessarily better - the guy just happens to hit the same notes harder than other drummers. no big deal.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 04:02:06 AM »
matt cameron doesn't just play loud, he hits hard.

napapatalon pa siya sa throne niya kapag magcracrash na and you can see his jaw contracting sa gigil! hahaha!

I wonder how he maintains his body.  Hitting hard all the time has its setbacks like swollen muscles, large blisters, broken new cymbals and sticks and broken bones.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

OT: naalala ko si lil' Nick Smith dun sa batang yun, hawig yung style nila!  :lol:
to add up, wala pa akong nakitang african american na tumugtog ng mahina sa guitar center..i guess yun ang trademark nila when it comes to playing the drums? or majority lang talaga sa mga african american drummers ganun ang style?

ninja edit!

mabibilang lang natin yung mga african american drummers na mahina tumugtog eh (i.e. yan si Steve Jordan, Jack Dejohnette, Tony Williams?)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:58:48 AM by intake »
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month

Offline mondi99060451

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »
OT: naalala ko si lil' Nick Smith dun sa batang yun, hawig yung style nila!  :lol:
to add up, wala pa akong nakitang african american na tumugtog ng mahina sa guitar center..i guess yun ang trademark nila when it comes to playing the drums?

sama mo na jan yung groove ng mga african american drummers... kakaibang feel!

Offline bongraider

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »
in general matindi talaga pumalo ang pinoy although based on experience lang kasi wala pa naman akong nakakabandang foreigner hahaha. our drummer is a loud mofo, he cant even hear my guitars even though im using a Marshall half stack about ten feet away from him. and its pointed straight at him!

tama talaga na may dynamics dapat, at hindi puro palo like theres no tomorrow. kung ganun, mag triggers ka nalang.

its ironic nga kasi dapat ang mga pinoy ang dapat mag tone down sa playing volume kasi di lahat nakakaaford ng amps and PAs and monitors that allow them to hear what is playing.

Offline 4pedz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »
in general matindi talaga pumalo ang pinoy although based on experience lang kasi wala pa naman akong nakakabandang foreigner hahaha. our drummer is a loud mofo, he cant even hear my guitars even though im using a Marshall half stack about ten feet away from him. and its pointed straight at him!

tama talaga na may dynamics dapat, at hindi puro palo like theres no tomorrow. kung ganun, mag triggers ka nalang.

its ironic nga kasi dapat ang mga pinoy ang dapat mag tone down sa playing volume kasi di lahat nakakaaford ng amps and PAs and monitors that allow them to hear what is playing.

bro, not only pinoy drummers, pati foreigners, basa ka po ng mga posts na nauna
4pedz

Offline bongraider

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »
like i said, i can never really vouch for the playing of foreigners coz ive never had a foreigner bandmate. but i have played with lots of pinoy drummers and ang generalization ko is that as far as those i have played with, medyo malakas talaga humatak. me iba na wala nang pacing so madaling napapagod kaya minsan rumarampa ang tempo. of course, di naman ako professional musician so POV ko lang to. tsaka how many times have i seen a drum kit being held in place by a fellow musician or band crew dito sa pinas samantalang di pa ko nakakita kahit sa indie gigs na may ganun sa iba.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 03:25:04 AM »
bro, not only pinoy drummers, pati foreigners, basa ka po ng mga posts na nauna

exactly. i don't know what the big deal is.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline niNgpo

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:23 PM »
may problema talaga ako sa dynamics...
napansin ko pag bumibilis na kanta lalo ako nagiging maingay
at iisa lang daw lakas ng palo ko...

Offline RazeLJoeY

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »
may problema talaga ako sa dynamics...
napansin ko pag bumibilis na kanta lalo ako nagiging maingay
at iisa lang daw lakas ng palo ko...

parehas tayo...pero sa practice lang ako ganto...nakakadala kasi e...hhehe...

Offline niNgpo

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 11:58:01 PM »

parehas tayo...pero sa practice lang ako ganto...nakakadala kasi e...hhehe...
AKO KAHIT SAAN!! kasi eh la ako drumset... tsaka di maka studio walang practice...

Offline xalanx

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
There's a fine line between playing loudly and playing with force.

One good example I can think of is Benjie Mendez.  Frankly, he has the tendency to play with loud volume.  Yet, he knows how to hit things.  He just doesn't bash on the drums and cymbals.  I've observed that he knows how to get the most out of the instruments' sounds.  He plays at the right spot, and he is very aware of his dynamics.  He remains plays loudly only during the right moment.  Yet, his playing musical.

I think the problem is when loudness becomes non-musical.  Instead of music, it gets classified as noise.

I guess it also comes with experience.  It also depends on the style of music.  We should develop the ability to gauge our volume limits.  Though I believe that we can still play softly without compromising the feel.  

Personally, I don't want to generalize Pinoy drummers as loud drummers, compared to our foreign counterparts.

I agree!...check this out
feature=related I think this is one of the best example that a drummer needs to have. the laidback groove and the feel..bilib ako sa dynamics ni bagets dito...
Music is not what I do, It's who I am

Offline 4pedz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
sigurado ba kayo na sa paluan lang malakas ang mga pinoy?

naughty side of the brain!

hahahahaha
4pedz

Offline mondi99060451

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »
I agree!...check this out
feature=related I think this is one of the best example that a drummer needs to have. the laidback groove and the feel..bilib ako sa dynamics ni bagets dito...

mismo! oi papa alan, absent lang ah... miss ka na naming lahat... [pichapie] na kami lahat...

Offline xalanx

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »
ganda ng thread na to!...mismo nga yung palo na yun!....muztah bro? medyo busy lang ngayon kaya di makapagjam..bale next hopefully maayos na sked ko...kitakits!...
Music is not what I do, It's who I am

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
OT: sa dami nung vids ni pido nag subscribe nako dun sa nag upload!  :lol: may iba pa siyang vid dun na kasama ibang banda..

yung ginawa niya sa City Love....shocker!!
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month