hulika

Author Topic: overdrive and distortion  (Read 5417 times)

Offline enzopogi

• Veteran Member
overdrive and distortion
« on: March 11, 2007, 10:57:41 AM »
guys, tanong ko lang, ano ba difference ng overdrive at distortion? nalilito ako sa dalawang 'to e.

Offline IncX

Re: overdrive and distortion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »

overdrive = it is when the input gain is cranked to the point of the output becoming so hot, the sound distorts. good example, black sabbath records.

distortion = the signal in the chain is manipulated to the point that the sonic lines become jagged, giving you a raspy, distorted sound. example, metal bands or basically anything you hear today thats promoted as "rock."

fuzz = just like distortion except the sound waves are manipulated to become square, giving you a buzzy, very distorted sound. example, hendrix and smashing pumpkins' earlier albums (when corgan still had hair)

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »

overdrive = it is when the input gain is cranked to the point of the output becoming so hot, the sound distorts. good example, black sabbath records.

distortion = the signal in the chain is manipulated to the point that the sonic lines become jagged, giving you a raspy, distorted sound. example, metal bands or basically anything you hear today thats promoted as "rock."

fuzz = just like distortion except the sound waves are manipulated to become square, giving you a buzzy, very distorted sound. example, hendrix and smashing pumpkins' earlier albums (when corgan still had hair)

+1 though according to an article in guitar world, these definitions are interchaged by some manufacturers. thus when buying dirt pedals, do try distortion when looking for overdive or fuzz.

Offline dvd9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
overdrive= from the term "drive" like a engine reving or a motorbike reving something like that
distortion=sound like a motorized saw cutting or slashing a metal object
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:18:43 PM by dvd9 »

Offline enzopogi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:38:05 PM »
guys, thanks for the info. :-)

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »
Overdrive = when my S.O. is fighting with me.

Distortion = the sound coming into my ears from my S.O. when she is in Overdrive

:lol:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
overdrive, distortion, fuzz, are all the the same by electronic terms. these are the result of clipping (overdriving) the input stage of a pre amp section (inducing a much higher signal level to input) back in the 60's and 70's guitar players turn their volume to up to max to achieve this effect now we dont have because modern designs include a switch to do that.  this is how it goes... when you overdrive the input stage it produces distortion and tonal harmonics (fuzz)    they are one and the same with varying degrees in gain and color tones.  :-D

Offline sanchai

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »

+1 though according to an article in guitar world, these definitions are interchaged by some manufacturers. thus when buying dirt pedals, do try distortion when looking for overdive or fuzz.

+1 ulit   :-D
"The love we have bebs that I have lost now, will still and always will be the love that I will long for until the day I die...."  - Hugh Grant

Offline enzopogi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
so basically, distortion is heavier than overdrive? tama ba?

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41:19 PM »
its more like...distortion is more dirty. :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »

depends on how you define weight.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »

depends on how you define weight.

just like what i said electronically distortion is produced by overdriving the input stage. in layterms kasi confusing na yung terms gaya ng sinabi ng isang brod d2 ginamit na ng manufacturers yung terms to describe models with corresponding performances pero electronically at grammatically parang ganito yun... overdrive (process of clipping a diode transistor or crt) is an action (verb tama ba?) distortion is a result, fuzz (Harmonic overtones) is an ajective (fuzzy)... Marketing strategy lang yung overdrive as "Konti gain lang", Distortion "medyo mabigat na", Fuzz "Mas Mabigat" and everything in between...  again the truth is these are all but one thing, only in varying degrees in gain, tone, and whatever... kaya nga classified ito drive preamps thats the best i can put it on words. 

Offline Chicco

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
overdrive, distortion, fuzz, are all the the same by electronic terms. these are the result of clipping (overdriving) the input stage of a pre amp section (inducing a much higher signal level to input) back in the 60's and 70's guitar players turn their volume to up to max to achieve this effect now we dont have because modern designs include a switch to do that.  this is how it goes... when you overdrive the input stage it produces distortion and tonal harmonics (fuzz)    they are one and the same with varying degrees in gain and color tones.  :-D

That's how distortion is invented. They turned the volume to the max. Eventually, they started manufacturing them giving players more control.

Offline guitarist?

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 06:32:24 AM »
guys a newbie here... i'm looking for a boss dual overdrive.. meron ba nakakakilala na nagbebenta nun? like for a low price? thanks...