hulika

Author Topic: Question about local pop artists and cover songs...  (Read 31828 times)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: cenxa na poh,,,
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
cnu poh ba nakkalam ng kahit kailan by southborder?ung keyboards nun?pls nmn tulungan nyo koh,,,kailangang kailangan eh,,,tnx!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Sifrahin mo kaya? Hindi naman siya mahirap, eh.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline superlucky20

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Question about local pop artists and cover songs...
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »
Pop artists cover bucketloads of songs because the sad fact is that they don't know how to write songs. Singers and songwriters are two different things.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »
Yup, sayang wala na tayong mga prolific songwriters natutulad kina Rey Valera at Jose Mari Chan.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »
e bakit si richard cheese gusto ko?! :-D

haha sorry sa mga haters nya ah.. kung meron. hehe
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »
actually, i like covers. pero hindi yung MYMP crapload covers.

mas gusto ko yung tipong Punk Goes Pop, or any other heavier versions of famous songs.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Ngeks!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
Hehehehe, nakakainis nga yung ganoon... Okay lang naman magcover ng mga bands na influence nyo para pangdagdag sa set pag bar gigs... Pero pls tama na po ang revival!!!! Nakakainis!!! Minsan pumapangit pa ang revival na version kaysa sa originals!!!!

Hay, magcompose na lang sila!!! Ang tatamad!!!

Mabuhay ang mga composers dito!!!!  :lol:

ei.

Agreed sir, if given the opportunity why not risk on originals. Let's say 1st album me covers ka and you've already grabbed the audience by ear sana naman next album orignals na. I'd also agree that kung pumupwesto, that's when you have to use covers more, dahil sa set time. Hats-off ako sa The Dawn - as mentioned in their website, the group can do a pwesto gig with only two covers ata..

For me, there's nothing wrong with doing covers (or readings, that is) if 1. you firmly believe that the song deserves to be heard by current listeners, and 2. You believe the songs would be vehicles to highlight your groups creativity more. (e.g. There are a million versions of standards, yet every take sounds individual).

The problem is, the covers are now viewed as the easy way up. ear Candy, 'ika nga.

Kakairita rin yung formula na lagyan lang ng distorion at bilisan yung tempo ng cover song para kunyari maiba sa original kahit hindi bagay. There are songs na bagay but 'yung iba end up like desperate attempts to sell.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:08:10 PM by nancy brew »
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 09:57:36 AM »
Yup, sayang wala na tayong mga prolific songwriters natutulad kina Rey Valera at Jose Mari Chan.

Powtah, pasalamat tayo 'kamo na hindi na active si Jose Mari Chan! Nyiiikkes!!!

:-D

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
Ok naman si Jose Mari Chan a. 

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 05:32:38 PM »
Righhhtttt....

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
it's a question of supply and demand. mas bumebenta ang mga album na puro cover songs. if this weren't true,  then record companies wouldn't keep on making them. the fact is, it's most profitable for them to do it than to "take a risk" with new songs. as i've already explained, the music business is also a business...

if you want more albums with original songs, then buy legit copies of those kinds of albums. create the demand for it.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:36 PM »
it's a question of supply and demand. mas bumebenta ang mga album na puro cover songs. if this weren't true,  then record companies wouldn't keep on making them. the fact is, it's most profitable for them to do it than to "take a risk" with new songs. as i've already explained, the music business is also a business...

if you want more albums with original songs, then buy legit copies of those kinds of albums. create the demand for it.

True to an extent but in business, you also take risks when you venture into something new or uncharted territory. Musical forms like jazz et al aren't as exposed. Creating the demand is difficult but difficulty should not stifle our desire to create the demand. It's just about educating people, feeding information and extensive exposure without let up. Major record companies do not take such risks (but I'd like to believe that just some of them don't) because they need to stay afloat. But let me say that they are not only the venues to put our songs out. Our presence in playing venues like bars et al will give the exposure we need to some extent. And that's not all, if we look a bit hard enough we'll be able to find indie labels who are more than willing to put out our songs. I don't believe that these big labels will always have all of the market. There are still people thinking out there and I'd like to believe that we are a part of it.
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 07:06:12 AM »
True to an extent but in business, you also take risks when you venture into something new or uncharted territory. Musical forms like jazz et al aren't as exposed. Creating the demand is difficult but difficulty should not stifle our desire to create the demand. It's just about educating people, feeding information and extensive exposure without let up. Major record companies do not take such risks (but I'd like to believe that just some of them don't) because they need to stay afloat. But let me say that they are not only the venues to put our songs out. Our presence in playing venues like bars et al will give the exposure we need to some extent. And that's not all, if we look a bit hard enough we'll be able to find indie labels who are more than willing to put out our songs. I don't believe that these big labels will always have all of the market. There are still people thinking out there and I'd like to believe that we are a part of it.

well, the risk-taking part is of course entirely their prerogative. while i'm also an advocate of change, i understand too where they're coming from. they need avenues that are 'more sure', because as it is right now, the record business is having a hard time surviving, and from what i know, the record industry is only doing a little better than the local film industry.

i agree with you about the need to 'educate' people. it'll always be gary granada over lito camo for me, although we all know who's selling more songs. you see, record companies won't keep on making 'lito camo'-type records if they didn't sell well. and you can say, they can always stop making those kinds of songs, so the public will have to listen to the 'better' songs, but you know what, if mr. camo didn't keep making them, i'm pretty sure somebody else will be happy to make a lot of money doing songs of that sort.

again, it's a question of supply and demand. sadly, there is a huge demand for those songs, and the people making money are those who provide the supply for that demand.

major record labels don't really carry a lot of bands, because there's just so much of them right now (at least that's their opinion), hence, there's a huge supply and there isn't a demand great enough to force them to sign up a lot of bands. that isn't to be taken against them. those record companies need to stay afloat too.

i agree with you that the best avenues to effect some change is through indie labels (which are also making money right now) and music venues such as bars, etc. -- the most significant changes happen when people take matters into their own hands anyway -- so if the major players don't want your music, and you firmly believe in it just the same, well, technology's never been cheaper, and now, it's already possible to make your own cd's without ever having to meet a record executive...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:46:14 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »

i agree with you that the best avenues to effect some change is through indie labels (which are also making money right now) and music venues such as bars, etc. -- the most significant changes happen when people take matters into their own hands anyway -- so if the major players don't want your music, and you firmly believe in it just the same, well, technology's never been cheaper, and now, it's already possible to make your own cd's without ever having to meet a record executive...

ei. tama sir, it's perhaps the only way as of now. The OTHER way sana which would surely profit all sectors (talents, execs, audience) would be via RADIO and TV. 

Kaso lang dahil pera ang utak at sakim ang lahat, let the masses remain masa para ma egoy silang maganda ang lahat na pinapatugtog sa noontime shows at prime time FM. You don't even have to mention the word payola.

Before, creativity was lauded and non conformity rewarded. That's why there were groups like BST, EWF, WAR, TOP, CTA, etc. Ngayon, yung talents ginagawang chakra-ala-Naruto; ginagamit for survival instead of expression. Ayun, ung music nagiging olympics. Benchmark? Pera.

Yep, the 70s may have had the pinoys ripping riffs here and there (Mike Hanopol's Tulungan Natin from Kansas,  Sampaguita's Dalagang Pilipina from BloodRock) and renditions (The Beegees' Charade to Hajji's Tag-araw and TVJ's Korekong), but have infused it in their own identity.

Pero ngayon buong kanta, pinapasok lng sa Microwave kahit inaamag na.

Haba ah. :-D

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 12:35:11 PM »
Pero ngayon buong kanta, pinapasok lng sa Microwave kahit inaamag na.

Ewan ko nga ba mga pare. Basta tuloy na lang natin ginagawa natin. Paano Pareng Marvin & 'Brew? Tara na! :-D

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »
ei.

tama pareng frog.  Actually, Pat Metheny never made big radio hits.
It was the cult following that believed in his material.

Same with Dave Matthews.  Ani de Franco.  Phish. The list goes on meyn :-D

likot thought lang.

It must be the ganja years  reeeeepa.. :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »
Haw! Weed goodness!  :-D

But the cult following is the most solid.  :-)

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »
rollin, rollin, rollin...

OT: Anong group ang super adik?

Ans. Rolling Stones - Roll na Stones pa- nyehehehehe
 :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

dref40cc

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 05:01:16 PM »

meron pa  super adik na grupo   "bamboo"     hehehe

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 04:46:52 AM »
Record execs, recording companies, supply and demand, etc….. No matter what we think, it still comes down to the musicians.

Kung ang point ng pagiging musikero nila eh tumugtog at kumanta lang ng musika na ginawa ng ibang tao, talagang hindi na mawawala ang ganitong tema.

Kung ang musiko eh gustong iparating sa mga tao, ipahiwatig sa karamihan ang kanilang boses sa pamamagitan ng musika, marami ng bagong tunog ang maririnig natin ngayon.

Karamihan sa atin dito eh uhaw sa bagong tugtugin. Sa mga nabasa ko eh, lamang ang nakararami na the only way to go is through new music.

Am I making sense here? Nasa office kasi ako, and people are hovering over me.

Ang sangkatutak na kabataan na na-expose sa musikang hilaw, eh mahirap ng baguhin.

Ngayon, pano mo masosolusyunan ang ganitong trend.

Ilan ba ang miyembro ng philmusic forums? Ilan ang me buo ng banda? We can show them what real music is all about. Make new music, and stop pondering on what these money mongers should have done.

Iparinig nyo ang boses nyo sa mga tao. Dito sa philmusic, maiintindihan talaga kayo ng mga miyembro, otherwise, they wouldn’t be here, kung hindi halos pare pareho ang pananaw natin.

Bakit hindi ka pwedeng mapuyat sa umaga?

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjason  http://twitter.com/bryanjason

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »

Ilan ba ang miyembro ng philmusic forums? Ilan ang me buo ng banda? We can show them what real music is all about. Make new music, and stop pondering on what these money mongers should have done.

Iparinig nyo ang boses nyo sa mga tao. Dito sa philmusic, maiintindihan talaga kayo ng mga miyembro, otherwise, they wouldn’t be here, kung hindi halos pare pareho ang pananaw natin.

'Yan din kosang bax ang sinabi ko sa kabilang thread, at the end of the day..

TAYO PA RIN ANG ME HAWAK NG MIC at AMPS sa stages at studios. 

Dapat! :-)
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline magz

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 10:22:25 PM »
i have to be the devils advocate here for a sec...

money - we all know its about datung...

control - who is driving the band/artist.... the record company or the band/artist themselves

we all know we have to make a living... but.... is it worth it to make a living in music if you're not making original, inspired and perspired music... making a living is one thing but making a living thru others hard earned musicality is just wrong... this is what separates the true musicians and the "posers"...

ika nga ni Ely.... ders no substitute for the real thing...  :mrgreen:

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2007, 02:34:29 AM »
Not all covers are that good.

Okay lang magcover ka, basta hindi ka yayaman dahil dun. At para ka narin nagnakaw nun.
Even a broken clock is right, twice a day

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2007, 01:06:31 PM »
it'a really a function of economics -- basic economics, in fact -- supply and demand.

Not all covers are that good.

Okay lang magcover ka, basta hindi ka yayaman dahil dun. At para ka narin nagnakaw nun.

what's wrong with doing covers, and actually earning a lot of money from doing so? and in what way is that stealing? i'm assuming that if done properly, the composer gets his/her royalties. so, how is that wrong?

not all covers are that good? i agree. but if the people are buying lots of it, who really cares? don't get me wrong. i'm also not very patient when i hear songs (covers or even original ones) that are rendered terribly or were not produced properly.

the way i see it, if an artist or a band does a recording of a previously released song, and does a terrible rendition of it, then their incompetence or lack of skill, or even stupidity, will eventually show, and what's worse, it has been immortalized through the magic of digital media, legit or otherwise.

tama yung sinabi ni aya. hindi naman [grape] ang pinoy eh. kadalasan, tamad lang mag-isip.

want to know what stealing is? then stop being blind and deaf to the issue of PIRACY. now that's STEALING. not only is it improper, it's wrong and it's illegal. some people here have enough audacity to even say they're helping fellow musicians by supplying 'cheaper' copies of instructional dvd's. that's right. cheap. and stolen. that's why.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 01:09:56 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »
i have to be the devils advocate here for a sec...

money - we all know its about datung...

control - who is driving the band/artist.... the record company or the band/artist themselves

we all know we have to make a living... but.... is it worth it to make a living in music if you're not making original, inspired and perspired music... making a living is one thing but making a living thru others hard earned musicality is just wrong... this is what separates the true musicians and the "posers"...

ika nga ni Ely.... ders no substitute for the real thing...  :mrgreen:

i agree with a lot of your points.

here's the thing. money is not the root of evil. the love of money is. so, let's stop looking at money as though it's a bad thing.

i want to listen to quality music, and i really don't care if they're originals or covers. i didn't look at michael mcdonald as a lesser artist when he released two cd's paying tribute to motown. in fact, i was impressed. would i buy a third volume? you bet.

it seems wrong to be delving too much on 'how' the music was done, as opposed to the quality of the music itself. the way i see it, i'd rather listen to an expertly done cover song, than a poorly rendered original one.

don't get me wrong. i'm a fan of our genius composers. but this country has more than enough of mediocre artists, and that's what i'd rather not listen to. i like paying tribute to our past geniuses, such as the great george canseco, who i had the great honor of meeting before the great composer, well, decomposed.

the fact that major record companies would rather release songs from the past should be a wake up call to all of us. although it paints an ugly picture -- that songs of the past are better -- maybe, just maybe, right now, it's not exactly a lie.

that's the trouble with technology getting more and more affordable -- the proliferation of garbage. a lot of people would combine two loops, neither of which were done by them, and call themselves artists. not that's what's pathetic. what's worse is, some people actually buy their stuff. tsk, tsk. :|
============
Marvin Querido

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

i want to listen to quality music, and i really don't care if they're originals or covers. i didn't look at michael mcdonald as a lesser artist when he released two cd's paying tribute to motown. in fact, i was impressed. would i buy a third volume? you bet.

it seems wrong to be delving too much on 'how' the music was done, as opposed to the quality of the music itself. the way i see it, i'd rather listen to an expertly done cover song, than a poorly rendered original one.

don't get me wrong. i'm a fan of our genius composers. but this country has more than enough of mediocre artists, and that's what i'd rather not listen to. i like paying tribute to our past geniuses, such as the great george canseco, who i had the great honor of meeting before the great composer, well, decomposed.

the fact that major record companies would rather release songs from the past should be a wake up call to all of us. although it paints an ugly picture -- that songs of the past are better -- maybe, just maybe, right now, it's not exactly a lie.

that's the trouble with technology getting more and more affordable -- the proliferation of garbage. a lot of people would combine two loops, neither of which were done by them, and call themselves artists. not that's what's pathetic. what's worse is, some people actually buy their stuff. tsk, tsk. :|

agreed bro marvin.

The backlash of DIY and the digital age is that anyone can create 'songs' thru ready loops, sans the basics of songwriting and even the slightest knowledge on musical theory, and upload it in the name of individual artistry. There's nothing wrong with it, yet the process becomes incomplete dahil walang nag bibigay ng feedback and in the end we are flooded with a million G-Em-C-D7  clones because,yes that's the way hits work as dictated by media.

Perhaps, the songs of the past were better because they were confluent - that is, reflective of the times that they mirrored the culture of the time. Now a lot of people are more confused than ever, that the creative populations' ability to discern which is which has been polluted by false agenda of rockstardom and all the promises it offers. (Has anybody noticed how self centered the lyrics are right now?  - Themes on social realism , environment, and lifestyle have all disappeared, people do not know what to fight, or sing for - mostly, all we hear are girl/boy next door lyrics in sped up tempos. Only a few manage to break from the mold).

Good songwriting? Bro. Marvin's band SECOND WIND was ahead of the league in both musicality and songwriting. The HAYP was another great band. So were BIG THING and ARTRSTART. Kudos to Rivermaya for giving props to Identity Crisis.  Sadly the radio was flooded with crap many never had a chance to hear them. It still is, now.

But still the evil lies in the intent, when covering/reviving songs are done in the name of easy money. You don't need to break in new material, you get lower risks of the public disliking it, and if its 25 years, you don't worry about the copyright (tama ba, 25?  :-D)

I have nothing against covers. In fact, marami kami sa playlist dahil you can't go and do three 45mins na sets of all unheard originals and lose the gig.

The question is if you justified the song by either 'freaking' it or adding your own identity into it, a sure test of creativity.

Soli Deo Gloria.