hulika

Author Topic: working stiff jazznights  (Read 6378 times)

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
Re: working stiff jazznights
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »
yup finally gabe ascalon's name gets mentioned here.
i think destiny's only recording heard on dzrj am (1970's) was their jazz rock take of the standard "a taste of honey". with ritchie quirino and colby dela calzada on a tv stint on joe quirino's show. extreme trivia here.

ST: On Gabe

Ei sir3650.

This may interest most of us - Gabe gave me a copy of Destiny's recording, "Sunlight" on cassette. It contains rare live tracks of Destiny with him on guitars, Yule Avante, Ed Jose, A very young Tots Tolentino, etc (pardon the omission of some members due to lack of info, I'll update on this). I asked if him If I could transfer them to digital and upload them for the public, (knowing that Ed Jose wrote the material), and Seņor Gabe gave it a go signal.

And yes, "A Taste of Honey" is included here.

Other tracks included are "King of Cups", "Kalayaan", "Lady Cosmic Dream".

I'll be post links, el seņors and seņoras.  :-D

Meanwhile: WORKING STIFF on THE 27th! Ayos!

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
dapat dito rin sa Manila, yung mga collaborations nyo... esp. with Henry K.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
with the indulgence of the readers of this thread...

@nancy brew - do post that Destiny material with permission of course from the guys...
i do remember jingle mag posted the lyrics and chords of "King of Cups", and "Lady Cosmic Dream". and they had a picture also with a female singer...

we should jam or have a beer sometime... malapit lang din dito si bod... kaya lang bod missed the dzrj am part... pero meron siyan mga video ni uncle bob and friends...

okay back to topic....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline mcf

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 07:17:51 AM »
... kaya lang bod missed the dzrj am part... pero meron siyan mga video ni uncle bob and friends...

okay back to topic....

Salbahe ka talaga, 3650guy  :lol:

@kedysanchez: The affable Farmer Gabe is into a new tone these days. Di na sya ma-distortion. But he's still very much in shape. I am sure he will oblige you for a jam.

OT: Flavour na lang Keds', kindly tell Mari to call or text me. I have a bunch of numbers under his name, dunno which one's current.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:27:41 AM by mcf »
Please read our Service Policy.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »

Wahaha! AngkolBab! La Cucaraacha..

Yup, I'll ask him to ask permission from Mr. Jose (whom I do not know personally) to upload their works. It's as rare and as invaluable as your avatar, bro. :-D

we should jam or have a beer sometime... malapit lang din dito si bod... kaya lang bod missed the dzrj am part... pero meron siyan mga video ni uncle bob and friends...

Sure, will take a week off from work for some road trip before the year ends, i'll PM you then so we can meet there.

Meanwhile, here's the latest from El Seņor Gabriel, alternate kami dito - i'll post our band's (Nancy Brew) clip over the weekend.

Back to topic:
During their Last gig here @ Bacolod, the Stiff's did a Jeff Lorber track, with the soprano sax carrying the melody.

Sir Kedy, ano nga 'yung pamagat nun? Yung pangalan ng babae.. :?
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline working stiff

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
Katherine. Mixed versions of Jeff Lorber and Joe Farrell. Will be missing our gig at Bacolod. Break a leg, fellow Stiffs.

Back to topic:
During their Last gig here @ Bacolod, the Stiff's did a Jeff Lorber track, with the soprano sax carrying the melody.

Sir Kedy, ano nga 'yung pamagat nun? Yung pangalan ng babae.. :?

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:32 AM »
Salbahe ka talaga, 3650guy  :lol:

@kedysanchez: The affable Farmer Gabe is into a new tone these days. Di na sya ma-distortion. But he's still very much in shape. I am sure he will oblige you for a jam.

OT: Flavour na lang Keds', kindly tell Mari to call or text me. I have a bunch of numbers under his name, dunno which one's current.

Yes senor, Gabe discussed his new direction when he joined us for lunch last time we were there.  I was actually so honored to be sipping coffee (while he guzzled beer one after the other, lunch, ha!) with again a guitar player I grew up listening to. 

Will tell Mari to call you.  Besides I'm sure he is reading this thread.