hulika

Author Topic: Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?  (Read 10254 times)

william251082

Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:43:20 AM »

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:30:28 AM »
karamihan kase ng tao sa pinas ang alam sa music ay itaktak mo
Trying to make everyone conform is a sure-fire way to lose some very talented people<br /><br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »
Great find!

I believe what he said is very much applicable here in the Philippines: the "musician don't connect with the audience" part, and the "audience doesn't try to understand part".

I think there should be a compromise. It is possible that audiences today don't really try to understand because the musicians don't give them enough familiarity to connect. Hence Jazz was famous at their time because they were playing their "pop" tunes, and Jazz isn't very popular anymore because we are still playing the pop tunes before. 

Maybe we should try improvising over the pop tunes we have now.  :-D The only problem is, which tunes? Maybe some John Mayer? Some Michael Jackson (much like Man in the Mirror of Tuck Andress)?  :?  :|

:mrgreen:

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 04:19:32 PM »

a lot of jazz musicians or bands for that matter, dont connect with their audiences and usually take the stage either copying their idols moves or just playing their instrument for the sake of playing.

when you are onstage, you are playing a show. if you play for yourself, please stay out of the stage and stay in the bedroom.

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
a lot of jazz musicians or bands for that matter, dont connect with their audiences and usually take the stage either copying their idols moves or just playing their instrument for the sake of playing.

when you are onstage, you are playing a show. if you play for yourself, please stay out of the stage and stay in the bedroom.

youre righ, but i think playing for yourself is not all act of selfishness..

just my 2 cents..
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
Why do you think Jazz isn't very popular?
because of MTV Asia & Lito Camo...

:D

Offline SCREWER

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 05:00:43 AM »
because of boy abunda and gretchen baretto...haha..(ayan na naman) :-D

seriously I've been influenced by jazz since highschool coz' my father won't let me play my death metal tapes..  :-D...he told me that jazz artists doesnt care about the money...they just want to express their music purely...so their not worried like me...haha.. :-D
Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow-minded, bigoted a-hole.

william251082

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 05:05:31 AM »
Great find!

I believe what he said is very much applicable here in the Philippines: the "musician don't connect with the audience" part, and the "audience doesn't try to understand part".

I think there should be a compromise. It is possible that audiences today don't really try to understand because the musicians don't give them enough familiarity to connect. Hence Jazz was famous at their time because they were playing their "pop" tunes, and Jazz isn't very popular anymore because we are still playing the pop tunes before. 

Maybe we should try improvising over the pop tunes we have now.  :-D The only problem is, which tunes? Maybe some John Mayer? Some Michael Jackson (much like Man in the Mirror of Tuck Andress)?  :?  :|

You can jazz up any tunes you want! listen to scofield's house of the rising sun :-D

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 05:25:02 AM »
Because of the human hormones. :D

People (usually the young, buying variant) want either fast, sex-themed, or anything in the extremes to satisfy their musical cravings. IMO. :roll:
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:06:58 AM »
You can jazz up any tunes you want! listen to scofield's house of the rising sun :-D

Yep, kaso ang hirap maghanap ng nice melodies eh. Pop songs today (at least what I hear) are boring and not constructed like how they were before. Hmmm... pwede siguro mga South Border songs. Jimmy Bondoc?  MYMP? Christian Bautista? Hmmm... :-D

I mean Ray Charles was pop before - that's a pop song we can all jazz up (if it's not yet jazzy, or bluesy enough). :-D

Because of the human hormones. :D

People (usually the young, buying variant) want either fast, sex-themed, or anything in the extremes to satisfy their musical cravings. IMO. :roll:

Dude, some Jazz songs are FAST. And sex-themed (try listening to Diana Krall's tempation and have sex.)  :-D

I think people want music that they don't need to understand - or something very pleasing to the eye (the eye? ang labo.  :mrgreen:)

william251082

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
Yep, kaso ang hirap maghanap ng nice melodies eh. Pop songs today (at least what I hear) are boring and not constructed like how they were before. Hmmm... pwede siguro mga South Border songs. Jimmy Bondoc?  MYMP? Christian Bautista? Hmmm... :-D

I mean Ray Charles was pop before - that's a pop song we can all jazz up (if it's not yet jazzy, or bluesy enough). :-D

Dude, some Jazz songs are FAST. And sex-themed (try listening to Diana Krall's tempation and have sex.)  :-D

I think people want music that they don't need to understand - or something very pleasing to the eye (the eye? ang labo.  :mrgreen:)
It's not the tune, it's in the way you play it.
"house of the rising sun", an incredibly boring tune, but Scofield made it interesting.

I say take an april boy tune and jazz it up! hahahhaha that's a challenge!

Offline mayk_bam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
bcoz jazz is only for jazzers like us...hehe :-D
Ibanez RG530 DX, Korg X50

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:17:11 PM »
bcoz jazz is only for jazzers like us...hehe :-D

sana di totoo to, because poeple are missing a lot
Trying to make everyone conform is a sure-fire way to lose some very talented people<br /><br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »
It's not the tune, it's in the way you play it.
"house of the rising sun", an incredibly boring tune, but Scofield made it interesting.

I say take an april boy tune and jazz it up! hahahhaha that's a challenge!

Hehe, I say, you first! Then I'll follow.  :-D

Hehe, sige, maybe I'll post a "Muling ibalik" jazzed up someday, I'll let you know if it's any good.  :-D

Offline ANAK_NG_DIYOS

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »
hehehheh sa tingin ko poh ay dahil sa
masyadong malalim ung genre na un kumpara sa iba.....
"Sa daan ko patungong IMPYERNO pwede ba ikaw kunin kong TOURGUIDE ko™    
                                        -L.V.B.-

william251082

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 02:36:03 AM »
Pano komo nakakita lang ng nag eexhibition sa instrument, (especially guitarists) kahit walang rhythmic, melodic and harmonic sense ung tinutugtog magaling na tingin. hahahahaa :-D (ang lupit ko yata ah :-D)

william251082

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 02:44:38 AM »
Hehe, I say, you first! Then I'll follow.  :-D

Hehe, sige, maybe I'll post a "Muling ibalik" jazzed up someday, I'll let you know if it's any good.  :-D
this summer, i'll have time to post some jazzed up aprilboy tune on youtube, be sure to have yours ready by then! hahhaahaha :-D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:14:06 AM by william251082 »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 02:47:27 AM »
Sikat naman ang Toto at Kenny G ah???

;)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 03:20:46 AM »
yung Swing Out Sister nga bumalik pa dito nung isang linggo lang diba?  :-D
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »
Great find!

onga, at wag din natin masyadong pahirapan ang listeners hehe :-D

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »
onga, at wag din natin masyadong pahirapan ang listeners hehe :-D

Haha, oo, wag nyo akong pahirapan! Kapag umuuwi ako from gigs, pagod na pagod na ako, nosebleed and earbleed(?)... at lasing na.  :-D

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 02:51:29 AM »
this summer, i'll have time to post some jazzed up aprilboy tune on youtube, be sure to have yours ready by then! hahhaahaha :-D
antayin ko yan hahah :-D

william251082

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 05:41:27 AM »
antayin ko yan hahah :-D
Dapat gumawa tyo ng jam session na ganyan! jazzed up corny songs! wahahahaha!

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »
Dapat gumawa tyo ng jam session na ganyan! jazzed up corny songs! wahahahaha!
gawa ka ng thread, im sure maraming mgpopost haha :-D

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
gawa ka ng thread, im sure maraming mgpopost haha :-D

hehehehe!

SONGS THAT YOU WANT TO JAZZ IT UP!

har har har  :lol:
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."