hulika

Author Topic: Q> How do you cut through the mix without being too loud or too bright?  (Read 5851 times)

Offline chernandez1

Hi guys! Any tips? I'm using cheap, but I think adequate stuff for a small church.

RJ LP Copy (Tonerider AC2) > Digitech RP500 > Goldea AT30

Thanks! I'm a bit knowledgeable in playing guitar, but I suck at band stuff since I grew up playing alone.
If there are encounters, there are partings as well

Offline thkh

Watch

i lurve delay pedals

Offline chernandez1

Hey man, thanks! I can't view the video tho. Mind sharing the link? Thanks! :D

Offline thkh

i lurve delay pedals

Offline chernandez1

THanks!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hi guys! Any tips? I'm using cheap, but I think adequate stuff for a small church.

RJ LP Copy (Tonerider AC2) > Digitech RP500 > Goldea AT30

Thanks! I'm a bit knowledgeable in playing guitar, but I suck at band stuff since I grew up playing alone.

I feel that there are two ways to go about it:

a) Get a real toneFULL guitar and amp that does not need to be loud to cut thru OR
b) Tell the whole band specially the drummer to back down on the volume to let you cut thru

Option b) is easier than option a).

Since I used to play guitar and NOW am learning to play drums, I learnt that the drummer sets the overall volume of the band.  And if you cannot cut thru, then your drummer has poor skills in dynamics and overall musicianship.

Offline chernandez1

Thanks firemodel! I've been playing with the Junior band as I just joined in (I came from another church), so yeah. I think me and the drummer can talk. Thanks again!

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus

Since I used to play guitar and NOW am learning to play drums, I learnt that the drummer sets the overall volume of the band.  And if you cannot cut thru, then your drummer has poor skills in dynamics and overall musicianship.

+1

Your Goldea AT30 is already a good amp. Maybe add mids in your EQ settings but still, your drummer should still back down his volume.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline chernandez1

Yeah. I've read those. Add mids, what I do is I try to eq with mids boosted a bit, then more "presence" knob, which I think/feel like a high-mid knob. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's still hard to get through. Lol. I'll try all your tips next practice. Keep em coming! Thanks!

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Easiest way to cut without asking the drummer to adjust his volume is to add more mids. which frequency of mids you boost matters though. find the one on your EQ which gives it a good thump: it's right between the tunog lata frequency and the medyo tunog bass guitar frequency.

another one that doesn't involve the drummer: bass cut. if upping the mids isn't enough, try lowering some of your bass. This is especially useful if your bassist uses a P or PJ style config, which is really meaty, but also vies for the lower frequencies of your guitar sound.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Q> How do you cut through the mix without being too loud or too bright?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
Easiest way to cut without asking the drummer to adjust his volume is to add more mids. which frequency of mids you boost matters though. find the one on your EQ which gives it a good thump: it's right between the tunog lata frequency and the medyo tunog bass guitar frequency.

another one that doesn't involve the drummer: bass cut. if upping the mids isn't enough, try lowering some of your bass. This is especially useful if your bassist uses a P or PJ style config, which is really meaty, but also vies for the lower frequencies of your guitar sound.

+1. eto na yun. may tendency rin kasi yung drummer na maging conscious pag sinabihan mong malakas siyang pumalo. tendency, nawawala siya sa groove niya. pero kung magaling na talga siya, it shouldnt be a problem.

i doubt malakas na malakas pumalo yung drummer niyo kasi nasa church setting kayo. naka AT30 ka na, which is a loud amp IMHO. try experimenting with eq settings mentioned above. i think that's the fix. :)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »
Once you figure out how to cut through your band's mix through the advice you get here, another thing you can do is to not always set your guitar's volume knob at 10. If you can get an awesome sound with your guitar's volume at 6, turning up to 10 at key moments in every song will give you volume, treble and gain at the same time and it is right at your fingertips.

Since you are rocking an LP, you can also set the 2 volume knobs differently and be even more versatile. Experiment with your tone knobs too in conjuction with your amp's tone knobs. You'll discover that even with just the guitar plugged straight into your amp, you have a wide array of tones and gain levels right at your fingertips.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »

FM's point is spot on. At bar gigs, the rule I set for all of us us this: set your loudest volume while the drummer is hitting the snare moderately. If you cannot hear the snare wires over the guitar sound, you're too loud. The reason behind this is that the snare wires carry the articulation of the drums, so they need to be heard over everything else if you really want to sound good.

I feel that there are two ways to go about it:

a) Get a real toneFULL guitar and amp that does not need to be loud to cut thru OR
b) Tell the whole band specially the drummer to back down on the volume to let you cut thru

Option b) is easier than option a).

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
FM's point is spot on. At bar gigs, the rule I set for all of us us this: set your loudest volume while the drummer is hitting the snare moderately. If you cannot hear the snare wires over the guitar sound, you're too loud. The reason behind this is that the snare wires carry the articulation of the drums, so they need to be heard over everything else if you really want to sound good.

+100

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 02:39:25 PM »
Also, don't think "cutting through the mix"; instead, think "being present in the mix".
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »
You guys are awesoooome. Thanks guys! I'll keep these stuff in mind. It's really different playing alone and in a band. Awesome stuff everyone! Thanks again.

How about for solos? I've heard, boost mids and less gain more volume? Thanks!:D

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
You guys are awesoooome. Thanks guys! I'll keep these stuff in mind. It's really different playing alone and in a band. Awesome stuff everyone! Thanks again.

How about for solos? I've heard, boost mids and less gain more volume? Thanks!:D

lagay ka ng boost pedal, set up to your liking  :-D and yes, typically volume boost lang sya plus a little EQ (personally for me on the highs, but mids is the "default" coz it works with most guitar sounds). Usually, more gain at this point will make your sound less defined.

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
That's what I've heard. Thanks again! Try ko din yung setup na normal volume is 6 then crank it to 10 once its time for solos. That will work the same as a boost pedal right?

Thanks!

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
That's what I've heard. Thanks again! Try ko din yung setup na normal volume is 6 then crank it to 10 once its time for solos. That will work the same as a boost pedal right?

Thanks!

yes, but be mindful of your gain, set your solo tone at 10, then dial it down. if you set your tone in the middle, you  might introduce extra unwanted overdrive when you dime the knob

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
Make sure your strings are fresh.

Try stainless steel strings.

Try different picks, try different gauges and different materials.

Do not point your speaker towards the sound guy as he will not want you in the PA if he perceives you as being too loud to start with. Remember that most amps are beamy. Volumes decrease drastically even just a couple of feet on either side of the "beam".

Chat with your sound guy if you have extra time during set-up. Heck I even paid some sound guys before just to ensure they take care of my sound.

If there are two guitarists in your band, talk about the chord voicings that each of you will take.

If your amp is miced, check once in a while if the mic is still pointed at your speaker. I experienced playing an entire set with the amp mic pointing at my legs instead of my amp coz someone knocked it out of position (may have well probably been me too).

Bring one of your friends to your gig to sit in the audience and come up with a simple hand signal to check with him/her from time to time if you are being heard where he/she is sitting (preferably not in the direction of your speaker).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:10:21 PM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline janjan0416

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »

+1000  :wave:

Madalas to mangyari samen. Lalo na pag tipong feel na feel nung drummer. Nakakalimutan na nya na may mga kasama pala syang band mates. Madalas tabon na kame lahat pati vocals. Sa tingin ko ang magaling talagang drummer controlled sa dynamics.  :)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
+1000  :wave:

Madalas to mangyari samen. Lalo na pag tipong feel na feel nung drummer. Nakakalimutan na nya na may mga kasama pala syang band mates. Madalas tabon na kame lahat pati vocals. Sa tingin ko ang magaling talagang drummer controlled sa dynamics.  :)

tama. ang magaling na drummer ay controlled pa rin ang dynamics kahit bagsakan na at mataas na ang groove. hindi yung bigla basagan na ng cymbals after 1 song  :lol: buti din sana kung ang mga amps ay madali i-control ang volume relative to the drummer, pero hindi, so kailangan talaga practice on the drummer's part, at tamang settings para sa guitar  :)

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
Nice insights guys. So it's more of the team being in sync than the individual skills right? cool cool.

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »
Live Mix:
MIDS

Recording Mix:
MIDS

Live Mix:
Tame your highs(treble) specially at high volume, you don't want to make the listeners irritated.

Recording Mix:
Tame your lows, just let the bass guitar do its job. High mids to taste. Don't saturate too much the gain if you're more on distorted guitars.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
Live Mix:
MIDS

Recording Mix:
MIDS

Live Mix:
Tame your highs(treble) specially at high volume, you don't want to make the listeners irritated.

Recording Mix:
Tame your lows, just let the bass guitar do its job. High mids to taste. Don't saturate too much the gain if you're more on distorted guitars.

Bingo!