hulika

Author Topic: Fistulectomy, Things To Take Note Of  (Read 760 times)

Offline Helmet

• Forum Fanatic
Fistulectomy, Things To Take Note Of
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:28:42 AM »
The aim of this post is to share and give a sounding advice based on experience. I just had surgery last week, and I feel like sharing this to everyone to keep you guys informed and create some peace of mind if you're having something similar to this experience. I won't describe the whole fistulectomy thing in full detail. To make it short, it is like having two buttholes, wherein an abscess forms inside the butt cheeks, carving a tube from the colon to anywhere that is external.

Pre surgery
1. Never hesitate to consult your doctor as soon as you feel something from that part, either a wound, scratch, or lump. Seek advice from a surgeon, either general or colorectal. You'll need to do some tests at home, taking some antibiotics, topical cream, and sitz bath for a week. The aim is to find out whether the wound outside will dry up and heal. Never ignore a pigsa, pimple, or anything that has been there for a long time
2. If all signs fail, make sure that you follow the doctor's advise. In my case, as mentioned above, I had a fistula down south
3. The day before the surgery, you'll be put under medication to get the body's system flowing with antibiotics

Surgery Day
1. What happens?
The procedure requires cutting the two holes open from end to end, without stitching, so that new flesh/meat would form. The doctor will cut it open, scrape it, and burn it to kill some nerve endings to lessen the pain and sensation. It will be an open wound for about 4-8 weeks
2. How long?
The surgery lasts 20-60 minutes, depending on the complications*
*There are fistulas that aren't that deep, but some tunnels run past the sphincter muscles. Sphincter muscles are the ones that control your urge to poop. If the tunnel goes through it, the procedure might require cutting these muscles, then tying them again to have force and tension. Good thing I didn't have that
3. How does it look like after?
Imagine the slices of a hotdog, from one hole to the other. Yeeeep

Post Surgery
1. Does it hurt?
Sometimes, but you have the option to take painkillers
2. Will it bleed?
Bleeding after 6-12 hours means that something might be wrong, so mention that to the doctor as soon as possible
3. Does it hurt when you poop?
Kind of. Make sure that you eat lots of fiber to make your poop soft, otherwise, that hard poop will scrape on fresh wound. You'll have diarrhea 1-2 days after the procedure
4. Does it hurt when you pee?
No
5. How do you take care of it?
Aside from the prescribed medication, you need to have a sitz bath 3x a day, apply cream to the wound, wear long sanitary pads to avoid staining on the pants, kegel exercise, and walking
6. How much did the operation cost?
More than 50K

Hope this helps. Take care of your health guys and gals. Your body and wallet will never be the same if you ignore it.