hulika

Author Topic: Suggest an alternative to TS9  (Read 5111 times)

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
Suggest an alternative to TS9
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:37:44 AM »
Guitar masters can you suggest a budget / cheap / affordable alternative to TS9. nakukulangan na kasi ako sa chug chug ng DS2 and someone suggested na tubescreamer is the key for that heavier sound. Kahit ano brand po or boutique pedals. Inputs are higly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Suggest an alternative to TS9
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:46:33 AM »
Any Daphon/Trident/Lazer OD. Pretty much a bunch of SD-1 clones. Or try the Boston OD-100. Pwede mo rin subukan yung mga Arion and Behringer. But I really hate plastic pedals (sorry po sa mga Behringer and Arion fans).

Kaso kung gusto mo talaga ng nice-sounding TS clone, go for a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, a Fulltone FD-2, or a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde or Route 66.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline ghostalker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
• bad monkey
• mga pinoy made TS Clones
• cool cat Drive and the controversial cool cat Transparent OD ^_^
God Bless!
Rockin' for Jesus 

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »
Bad Monkey coz it's badass! :D
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:50:15 AM »
Guitar masters can you suggest a budget / cheap / affordable alternative to TS9. nakukulangan na kasi ako sa chug chug ng DS2 and someone suggested na tubescreamer is the key for that heavier sound. Kahit ano brand po or boutique pedals. Inputs are higly appreciated. Thanks!

The guy who said that...slap him on the head. :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
The guy who said that...slap him on the head. :D

:lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »
I got a Texas Flood DIY'd by forumite Kevin a.k.a. balakubak33, then sold my TS-808 RI. The locally-made pedal sounds the same at 1/4th the price of the Ibanez.

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! Do you know where i can get the bad monkey? and can you point me to the thread that makes the TS clone? Support filipino ingenuity! hehehe

One more thing any experience with the Boston OD-100 as siggested by boss voidman?  :-)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! Do you know where i can get the bad monkey? and can you point me to the thread that makes the TS clone? Support filipino ingenuity! hehehe

One more thing any experience with the Boston OD-100 as siggested by boss voidman?  :-)

The Boston OD100 is more BD2 than TS9.

Here's a soundclip of mine, modified to Marshall Plexi voicing. Forgive the playing tho.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=639089&songID=7009278

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »

BAMF is the man here.  :-)

Bad monkeys may be available at Audiophile. 

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »
Eyy thanks maxi...but I don't "make" pedals...I only modify them. For now that is.

But if you're still convinced that it's a TS you need, then go with the real thing. The TS7 is within the tubescreamer family. And very lovable.And a lot cheaper than a TS9 (brand new is about 2.5k). I love mine...in certain contexts of course.

Heres a soundclip of my Mosfet-modified TS7 with Fafa Anton playing.

And from an earlier time, jeyvi with a sushi-module modified TS7. Take note tho, he's using a Marshall  amp after the TS7.

BAMF is the man here.  :-)

Bad monkeys may be available at Audiophile. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:24:29 AM by BAMF »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:57 AM »

People seem to have overlooked the fact that you might be looking for the wrong pedal.  If you want more chug chug, a TS9 is the worst choice as it attenuates bass frequencies by design!    I'll play anyway...

I've heard a Boston OD100 CHUG CHUG like it was Sauron's army marching out of the gates of Mordor.  :-D  It has more powerful, versatile control of the eq, which allows you to achieve more chug for the buck.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:00:58 AM »
People seem to have overlooked the fact that you might be looking for the wrong pedal.  If you want more chug chug, a TS9 is the worst choice as it attenuates bass frequencies by design!    I'll play anyway...

i was about to make the same comment but i was afraid i was wrong as i'm not an expert in electric guitars and effects.  :-D

TS9 is supposed to be creamy, as opposed to the chug-chug sound you're looking for.  look for an SD-1.  you can ask people from the SD-1 Coalition here in PhilMusic.  i sought their advice before.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:02:47 AM by maxi_musikero »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
i was about to make the same comment but i was afraid i was wrong as i'm not an expert in electric guitars and effects.  :-D

TS9 is supposed to be creamy, as opposed to the chug-chug sound you're looking for.  look for an SD-1.  you can ask people from the SD-1 Coalition here in PhilMusic.  i sought their advice before.

Maxi, I've heard tell that the TS9 is based on an SD1 -- prolly not the right choice either.  In any case, it certainly sounds like it also clips the lows and hi's.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:10:03 AM by deltaslim »

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:32 AM »

if your on tight budget.. try Boston OD100 and HM100 im assuming you would eventually go with more "chug chug" so TS9 is not an option. with HM100 you can get rid of your DS2, DS2 for me sounds "matalas" nag really "chug chug" type.. i've seen and heard Jeptha of Agaw Agimat use only HM100 and a bit of the amps gain channel, maganda tunog in fairness..

although you can try using the amps gain channel along with the DS2 , ma kaka "chug chug" kana with it...
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline bentoinks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »
hey cool, ok pala od100, od3 or sd1 pwede rin men
When World War III begins, get as many boss pedals as you can and build your fallout shelter out of them - you may not survive but they will :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
Maxi, I've heard tell that the TS9 is based on an SD1 -- prolly not the right choice either.  In any case, it certainly sounds like it also clips the lows and hi's.

SD-1 is much more muddy and has more grit than the warm TS9, at least according to my source.  it prolly isn't the right choice but judging from his point of comparison (TS9), i suggested a similar pedal but with more ability to chug-chug.

i can't believe i'm actually posting this.   :lol:

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »
Thanks for the inputs masters! I'll probably try the od100 with my ds2. newbie lang po senysa na. How much do they sell these od100? Or much better kung stand alone od100 lang kaya?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:20:14 PM by zooom »

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
Thanks for the inputs masters! I'll probably try the OD100 with my DS2. newbie lang po senysa na. How much do they sell thes eOD100? Or much better kung stand alone OD100 lang kaya?

mura lang OD100. pag nagtagal ka dito tol mage-expand yung preferences mo. baka magustuhan mo din yung mga OD na based sa Tube Screamer circuits with its signature mid-hump. or baka hindi din. pero for sure umpisa na yan ng GAS mo.

Offline bentoinks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
pero for sure umpisa na yan ng GAS mo.

yep bro, handa mo na wallet mo hehe
When World War III begins, get as many boss pedals as you can and build your fallout shelter out of them - you may not survive but they will :-D

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
hahaha bahala na si batman mga master! hehehe isip ko lang kasi ma achieve yung chug chug crunch sound ng mga mabibigat na grunge idols. hehehe

Offline guitbox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 06:07:18 PM »
mejo off-topic, pero if you really want chug-chug, try considering getting a heavier pedal.  cascading 2 pedals (lalo na ODs/dists) will have that "extra" noise.

pampa-GAS lang...   :-D

My passion comes from my Jesus...

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:23 PM »
yep bro, handa mo na wallet mo hehe

:-D :-D hehehe welcome to the club bro
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline XFree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »
CTO-1 dano coolcat transparent overdrive!
Specifications are subject to change without notice.

Offline otihcisme

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
chug-chug ba eka??

punta ka classified section
-sell that DS2
-sniff for a Dr. Boogey

IMO, kahit lagyan mo ng TS9 yang DS2 eh dehins mo makukuha yung tunog na gusto mo., natural na matalim yung DS2

someone suggested na tubescreamer is the key for that heavier sound.
minsan mahirap din yung nagpapaniwala sa sabi-sabi... mas lalo ka lang gagastos kase pag nabili mo yung unit then pag ginamit mo na matabang pala yung tunog... olats!!!
mas maganda kung ma try mo personally, magamit sa jam, magamit sa venue yung pedal para ramdam na ramdam mo., minsan maganda yung tunog nya pag sinubukan mong magisa pero pag may kasama nang band eh di na swak yung tunog mo.

sana lalong makagulo este makatulong  :-D

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:25:52 PM by otihcisme »