hulika

Author Topic: DIY boutique amps, pedals, mod kits, proto-type circuits, etc - Post them here!  (Read 1787263 times)

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
For those that use 1N34A or other Ge diodes, do you just buy a bunch and test each for the ideal forward voltages? I bought a bunch from Deeco and most seem to have really high Vfs around double of the desired 0.2-0.3+ range.. Are sylvania or D9Es hard to find around here? Or are there online sources that won't charge an arm and a leg?  :-(

Try Schottky diodes? 1N5817 is a common one that should be available in Alexan or Deeco. I just measured one a while ago and got 0.23V voltage drop.

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
Thanks! Will do. I ordered about 20 1N34A's and spent 200+ pesos from tinkboxph, and I found out they aren't what they claim to be. 0.8 V forward voltages? I took out a magnifier and found out they are infact 5V6 Zeners... I'll probably send them an email later tonight..

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: DIY boutique amps, pedals, mod kits, proto-type circuits, etc - Post them here!
« Reply #8677 on: September 01, 2017, 12:42:43 AM »
Thanks! Will do. I ordered about 20 1N34A's and spent 200+ pesos from tinkboxph, and I found out they aren't what they claim to be. 0.8 V forward voltages? I took out a magnifier and found out they are infact 5V6 Zeners... I'll probably send them an email later tonight..

1N34As should be around the size of slightly shorter 1/2 watt resistors. The ones I bought have yellow rings on the side.

That sucks man, hope you get that sorted out quick.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: DIY boutique amps, pedals, mod kits, proto-type circuits, etc - Post them here!
« Reply #8678 on: September 13, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Anyone know where I can buy a 20k 2-gang potentiometer for a Blackstar amp? Kinda looks like this:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/8948972683294/10k-ohm-logarithmic-a-double-gang-9mm-potentiometerImageMain-300.jpg
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8679 on: September 14, 2017, 02:13:39 AM »
Anyone know where i can get custom made cabs locally manika, makati, alabang area? Looking to get a head and a cab for an amp build.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8680 on: September 20, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
hi guys.. excuse me a moment.. may nag papatanong for a pedal rehousing job.. kindly please say "aye' lang po.. i lead him to this thread so he can be able to see who he's going to ask to..

thank you guys!
emil

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8681 on: September 24, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Hey guys, what's the best soldering iron I can get under 1.5k? Mainly for DIY pedals/mods so a 15/30 watt would be okay but I'd also like to build myself a tube amp head one day. 

Manila/Makati/Pasig/Alabang areas please!  :)

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8682 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »
Hey guys, what's the best soldering iron I can get under 1.5k? Mainly for DIY pedals/mods so a 15/30 watt would be okay but I'd also like to build myself a tube amp head one day. 

Manila/Makati/Pasig/Alabang areas please!  :)

Goot KS-30R. Lazada sells em for 750 petot. Free shipping.

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8683 on: September 27, 2017, 07:18:50 AM »
DIY Nemesis switcher
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8684 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »
Hey guys, does anyone know if TI RC4559P Op amps are available locally??

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8685 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
Goot KS-30R. Lazada sells em for 750 petot. Free shipping.

Thanks!! I'll definitely look into this.  :)

Offline Jmarlwin

Guys, sino pwede gumawa ng pedalboard interface for me? I/O:
1. guitar input
2. Dry in=> 3. Dry out
4. L wet in=> 5. L Wet out
6. R wet in=> 7. R wet out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
bass boost mod

doh!!!

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
bass boost mod

Cool! It's been a while since I last modded a Rat. Sure is fun to tinker. Try this experimental mid scoop too. SPDT or DPDT should be fine.

...and the LED/ MOSFET clipping on top near the power supply stage...

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
Anyone know where I can get a 3mm Bicolor LED Red/White or Red/Blue online or if possible; locally?  :)

Offline firefalcon_08

Anyone know where I can buy a 20k 2-gang potentiometer for a Blackstar amp? Kinda looks like this:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/8948972683294/10k-ohm-logarithmic-a-double-gang-9mm-potentiometerImageMain-300.jpg

Ordered online from Tayda Electronics for my Blackstar HT-Dist. Pin spacing was too wide for the PCB so I bridged it with wires soldered to the board instead.
lots and lots and lots and lots more to learn

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic

G3 - external footswitch for tap tempo and bank/scroll
RAT - bass boost
Small Clone - Vibrato/Tremolo mod
Small Stone - Univibe mod

these pedals aren't mine. did the mods as requested by the owner
doh!!!

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
re-housed the triple wreck clone and changed the pots

doh!!!

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
1. How much cheaper is it to build yourself a clone of your favorite pedal or amp? Maybe I should ask what percentage of an amp or pedal's price is the cost of the materials used?
2. Is there any free lesson on electronics that I can take to help me build a clone of an amp or pedal?

I dream of making my own pedals (clones) and it will be purely for personal use. Not for commercial use.
I have woodworking skills and planning to build my first speaker cabinet soon but I also like to try tube amp building and pedals/footswitches.

Offline walanakamingyelo

• Forum Fanatic
1. How much cheaper is it to build yourself a clone of your favorite pedal or amp? Maybe I should ask what percentage of an amp or pedal's price is the cost of the materials used?
2. Is there any free lesson on electronics that I can take to help me build a clone of an amp or pedal?

I dream of making my own pedals (clones) and it will be purely for personal use. Not for commercial use.
I have woodworking skills and planning to build my first speaker cabinet soon but I also like to try tube amp building and pedals/footswitches.

Cheaper? I do not think that is the right analogy of cloning pedals since most of the stuff are not available in the Philippines so you have to ship it unless it's in bulk, then it comes with a price. i.e. That reverb chip used in Malekko Spring Chicken.

But experience wise, and if you really are a DIY type of guy I suggest you give it a go. It's ok to start with clones but what I learned from experience is that clones are good but what good would it be of you can just buy them? So you may want to try modification and putting your own flavor in the end. Having a breadboard could save you a lot of time, frustration and all other things, money. Invest in breadboard as well as a good soldering iron sir.

Above all else never forget to enjoy! :)
Heart, Mind, Hands

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
Cheaper? I do not think that is the right analogy of cloning pedals since most of the stuff are not available in the Philippines so you have to ship it unless it's in bulk, then it comes with a price. i.e. That reverb chip used in Malekko Spring Chicken.

But experience wise, and if you really are a DIY type of guy I suggest you give it a go. It's ok to start with clones but what I learned from experience is that clones are good but what good would it be of you can just buy them? So you may want to try modification and putting your own flavor in the end. Having a breadboard could save you a lot of time, frustration and all other things, money. Invest in breadboard as well as a good soldering iron sir.

Above all else never forget to enjoy! :)

Thanks chief. Would you recommend a good source to begin learning about electronics? And what is a good soldering iron? I live in UAE and i will definitely source the parts from US

Offline walanakamingyelo

• Forum Fanatic
Thanks chief. Would you recommend a good source to begin learning about electronics? And what is a good soldering iron? I live in UAE and i will definitely source the parts from US

If you haven't any idea about basic electronic components such as resistors, transistors, etc. and their roles. I suggest you start there so you can have a basic understanding of electronics. No Maths necessary naman sya.

tagboardeffects.bogspot.com is a good source for what you're looking for but do not stop there.

Heart, Mind, Hands

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
If you haven't any idea about basic electronic components such as resistors, transistors, etc. and their roles. I suggest you start there so you can have a basic understanding of electronics. No Maths necessary naman sya.

tagboardeffects.bogspot.com is a good source for what you're looking for but do not stop there.
Wow thanks sir! I’ll check that out, by the way i bought a soldering iron kit from amazon which has 4 extra tips, and other stuff, it claims to have adjustable temp control is that good enough?

Offline walanakamingyelo

• Forum Fanatic
Wow thanks sir! I’ll check that out, by the way i bought a soldering iron kit from amazon which has 4 extra tips, and other stuff, it claims to have adjustable temp control is that good enough?

Could be, But if the price range is above the ones that we have here in Raon at 300-500 pesos I think that's fairly enough. I happened to stumble upon a Weller in Deeco one time and never parted with it eversince. To think I even tried a Stanley and a Lotus but all failed. Or maybe I have bad solder skills. haha
Heart, Mind, Hands

Online ryechua

• Forum Fanatic

1. in my case - the triple wreck clone cost me around S$80 (or less) to build. i think same or much less for a klon clone. but note that i already have tools (soldering iron and lead, drill, etc) and stash of components/enclosures and only buy what i don't currently have.
2. maybe watch youtube vids? back when i was studying, we used Grob's Basic Electronics as a reference. this should help you out with the basics up to discrete components, op amps and amplifier stages.

you can also look for this book:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244054934/Wampler-2-Part-1-pdf
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:14:51 PM by ryechua »
doh!!!