hulika

Author Topic: MultiEffects Unit Thread  (Read 134381 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MultiEffects Unit Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »
I heard may lag siya in terms of responding to a player when he plays. Totoo ba ito?
nope. wala naman akong narinig na ganun. hehe. sorry. inintercept ko yung tanong.

also, about the patch switching zip. dun sa mga mga newer ones i've tested, the gt8 (which i have), xtl, tlse, gnx3k, and g9.2tt, yung gnx3k lang ang narinig ko na may noticeable zip talaga. its about as bad as the one in the ax1500g i used to have.

each has its own pros and cons i guess. i wont get into the difference sa sound between units anymore. kasi they're too minute now and that comes down to preference and feel, usually. it is generally agreed that you can get good, or at least acceptable, sound from the 4 i mentioned above, if you're willing to spend time tweaking. if you're looking for a "plug and play" setup and dont really need to vary your sound much anyway, then maybe you'd be better off buying individual effects nga. and before we get into "i change my sound with my hands" discussions, thats not what i mean by "varying your sound." :lol: what i mean is what if you have to go from quick slap delay to a long-ish ambient effect in the middle of a song? or what if you need a wobbly chorus for the verse and need it to be a less intense shimmer for the bridge? or what if you need metal type chug on one section of one song and light and warm drive on another or its a 15-20 song set cover a lot of bases? what are you gonna do? bring 4 dirt, 2 delay and 2 chorus stomp boxes?

yung pros and cons for each, from a gigging (and recording) perspective:

even with the lag, the great thing about the gnx3k is, yung speaker sim and output programming (i think i've raved about it somewhere else before). you have 4 outputs (2 1/4 and 2 XLR). you can set it up so that the speaker sim applies to just the XLR outs and feed those to the board so you dont have to mic your amps. then you can set up the 1/4 outs with no speaker sim and plug them into amps. thats something you cant do with the others. you usually have to turn the speaker sim off and plug one of the stereo outs into an external speaker sim to feed both you amp and the board straight from the unit. and you cant set up amps in stereo na after that.

yung g9.2tt and tlse are pretty much even stevens to me. fans of both units claim that the tube does have an effect on the "feel." deltaslim used a tlse for some time last year and, from where i was standing, it sounded about as good as his usual boutique stomp setup. plus its got 2 expression pedals. a big plus kasi you can use one to control overall volume and the other for other stuff like rotovibe or wah emulation. with other units kasi you have to rock the pedal forward (effectively changing the volume, if you're using it as a volume pedal) and press down to activate the wah or rotovibe. the big bummer about the tlse for me is its lack of, uh, flexibility or limited programmability. it makes for a pretty user friendly package because you wont have to dig deep to get to the essentials but i sort of wish it could do more (you're stuck with one preamp/speaker/effect sequence). also, there's the way some effects are lumped under the "pedal" group. you can't use wah with the fuzz?!?! makes me wonder if the designers have even heard of hendrix.

the xtl has switches for turning individual effects in the patch on and off. thats an edge over the others where you have to hit (and sometimes hold) a switch to get into manual mode before you can you can turn specific effects on and off on the fly. yung software it comes with is pretty good. plus you can get plugins (i think they call them model packs) and other updates. and its got a USB out for conversion-less recording to pc. its a pretty good box overall. the decision to go with the gt-8 instead of this came down to preference. i've owned a gt-6 na kasi so it was easier for me to find my way around the gt-8's myriad of buttons and parameters.

i've owned the gt-8 for a little over a year now (on and off :lol:) and i've been through different stages with it from love to hate and sometimes apathy. :lol: i sold my first one (i still havent stopped kicking myself over that) thinking i didnt need it anymore only to end up needing it again and buying another one. the biggest, and most common, beef about the gt series is that its so complicated. i always say its complicated kasi you can do so much with it. want to put your delay first in the chain then into a wah then into the preamp then into a bi-phaser then into an external pedal (like a whammy) then into a compressor? you can do that. want 3 different EQs placed in different parts of the signal chain? you can do that. there's also an external loop you can place anywhere in the signal chain (and, if your amp has an effects loop, you can put your amp in that external effects loop). you can use it to switch channels on your amp. in fact, there isnt much it cant do with your signal. there are a lot of other things it can do that i'll probably never need anyway. it just feels good to know that, if i ever need a steve stevens ray gun sound, this unit can deliver. so whats wrong with it? why arent more people using it? kasi, if you're buying locally, its usually more expensive than the others when brand new. it doesnt have a patch editing software (though meron 3rd party software you can download from bossgtcentral.com). no way of connecting to pc via USB so if you want to do direct-to-pc recording, you'll have to use the headphone out and go into the soundcard, which means extra D/A/D conversion, or you'll have to use the PDIF output. i tend to think of it as a unit geared more towards playing live, an out and out stompbox, than the XTL, which feels more like an amp modeler adapted for use onstage.

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »
the last time i went to tom lee i tried out the tonelab le and the ax3000g. sa preset tones lamang na lamang ung tonelab le kahit anong patch ok na kagad para sakin. Ung sa ax3000g naman, ewan ko ba bakit ganun tunog nun ang layo sa ax1500g bitin saka masyadong matalas ung mga presets. Sa versatility naman lamang ung ax3000g kase ang daming nagagawa kahit mga bagay na hindi naman kailangan pwedeng gawin :-Dhehe tulad ng ESS. natawa ko ng nasubukan ko ung ESS malupit nga kase makakapag arpeggios ka ng isang note lang pero nakakahiya naman ata kung may nanunuod sayong mga musikero. :| 

Bibilhin ko na sana nun ung tonelab le kaya lang nadiscover ko na hindi pala pwedeng pagsabayin ung wah saka mga dist/od modellers (tulad nga nung sinabi ni nathan). Kailangan ko pa bumili ng external na wah pedal para makagamit ng wah :? So kung "weight" ang reason mo for switching from stomps to multi, wag ung tonelab LE kasi mabigat na sya saka kailangan mo pa magbitbit nga wah :-D

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 12:13:33 AM »
gt8.

my only problem with it is the lag when switching patches/banks. thats it.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline shredmaster26

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
I've been a multi-effects freak for years... particularly Zoom multi effects - Zoom 707II, GFX8, Zoom 1010, Zoom G7.1ut, Zoom 505, and some Korg multis as well - AX30G, AX1500G, AX100G, AX3000G. To get the tone that you want in a multi-effects, you really need time to tweak and experiment on the presets of a particular unit. Depende pa yan sa gamit mong amps and guitar. You can build programs from scratch or just use the preset, either way, use what works for you. For me, so far 3 multi-effects stand out from the list I've mentioned above - G7.1ut, AX30G, and AX3000G. If I ever I will buy a multi again, I will go for Zoom G7.1ut - decent distortion sounds, modulation, and pure efficiency. Kuhang-kuha tunog ng Boss DS1 and Crybaby wah, kakaaliw. Yung mga nagsasabi na manipis o alanganin ang distortion sound ng G7.1ut, well baka di lang nila natimplahan ng maayos yung unit. Presets kasi ng G7 medyo may mga pangit na timpla eh. Pero once you give it time in tweaking and experimenting, sobrang dami ng potential nito. Dapat tyagaan lang tlga sa timplahan, kahit anong multi-fx naman ganun di bah? Tska maganda kasi sa G7 rugged design and construction, bakal kung bakal. Tska makapal yung bakal ha. Wala ring sinok when you switch from one patch to another. 2nd is yung AX3000G - has lots of potential as well when it comes to tone building. Ayoko lang dito medyo manipis yung casing nya. Surprisingly, AX30G is on my list - ganda kasi distortions nito and the modulations din. Pangit lang dito super obvious ang sinok. I have'nt tried PODXT Live, Boss GT8 and GT6, Tonelab SE... Maybe when I get my hands on them, compare ko sa G7. For now, I have to say it's Zoom G7.1ut.  :-D

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »
tam_guitar....

sa pc na titimpla din ang pod xtlive. when you buy it new, you can download the necessary software from the the line 6 website....free yun, plus may mga extra amp ka pang pedeng i-download.

just read the manual dude.

titser marco....la naman noticeable lag sa pod.....kakatamad lang talaga mag timpla.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »
Sa mga naghahanap ng G7
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,57322.0.html
Hehe my digital phase is over, hello analog set-up.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
i also have been using a multifx for some time now pero it's the tone quality that matters to me, imo noticable patching when your live isn't really important because it's live. i didn't notice this in my fx though. im using a gnx3 and it's been with me since 2003. you cannot compare digital to analog. it's made to be compact.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »
tam_guitar....

sa pc na titimpla din ang pod xtlive. when you buy it new, you can download the necessary software from the the line 6 website....free yun, plus may mga extra amp ka pang pedeng i-download.

just read the manual dude.

titser marco....la naman noticeable lag sa pod.....kakatamad lang talaga mag timpla.

bro!

one more question...

SAN MAS MAGANDA MAGTIMPLA??? SA PODXT LIVE UNIT O SA PC???
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/flash/151422_gt8/index.html

oh tingnan nyo yan...

question ko lang... bakit yung Boss hindi naglagay ng USB interface sa Boss GT8???!

Offline chypre

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 03:03:13 PM »
I'd go for the PodxtLive because the sounds are upgradeable.

But for ease of use, Boss GT8. Plus the dynamic sensing is just plain cool.

+1

asteg dynamic sensing feature niya :-D
Epiphone G310(ETS)>Boss CS-3,Boston HM-100,Boston EQ-100>Boston CH-100>Boston FL-100>Zoom GFX 707(i)>>>

Offline Chicco

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 11:35:52 PM »
I've been a multi-effects freak for years... particularly Zoom multi effects - Zoom 707II, GFX8, Zoom 1010, Zoom G7.1ut, Zoom 505, and some Korg multis as well - AX30G, AX1500G, AX100G, AX3000G. To get the tone that you want in a multi-effects, you really need time to tweak and experiment on the presets of a particular unit. Depende pa yan sa gamit mong amps and guitar. You can build programs from scratch or just use the preset, either way, use what works for you. For me, so far 3 multi-effects stand out from the list I've mentioned above - G7.1ut, AX30G, and AX3000G. If I ever I will buy a multi again, I will go for Zoom G7.1ut - decent distortion sounds, modulation, and pure efficiency. Kuhang-kuha tunog ng Boss DS1 and Crybaby wah, kakaaliw. Yung mga nagsasabi na manipis o alanganin ang distortion sound ng G7.1ut, well baka di lang nila natimplahan ng maayos yung unit. Presets kasi ng G7 medyo may mga pangit na timpla eh. Pero once you give it time in tweaking and experimenting, sobrang dami ng potential nito. Dapat tyagaan lang tlga sa timplahan, kahit anong multi-fx naman ganun di bah? Tska maganda kasi sa G7 rugged design and construction, bakal kung bakal. Tska makapal yung bakal ha. Wala ring sinok when you switch from one patch to another. 2nd is yung AX3000G - has lots of potential as well when it comes to tone building. Ayoko lang dito medyo manipis yung casing nya. Surprisingly, AX30G is on my list - ganda kasi distortions nito and the modulations din. Pangit lang dito super obvious ang sinok. I have'nt tried PODXT Live, Boss GT8 and GT6, Tonelab SE... Maybe when I get my hands on them, compare ko sa G7. For now, I have to say it's Zoom G7.1ut.  :-D

Based on this review, I think I'll go for Zoom G7. Pero ipon muna, hehe.

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »
mga presets ko po sa g9.2tt:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=738969

wag na lang po pansinin yung tugtog puro sabit  :-D

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2007, 08:09:06 AM »

bro ung acoustic preset,

ganun tunog ng guitar ko...clean, neck pickup, straight to amp

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2007, 08:30:18 AM »
Mejo bawas kasi highs nyang mga recording ko swanget kasi yung pang record  :-D Humbucker ba neck P.U. mo? bridge pickup kasi yan (humbucker din), mas acoustic ang tunog pag yung bridge-mid/neck-mid gamit ko kaso mahina kesa neck/bridge (nakakatamad mag-adjust ng volume, nagclip yung recorder ko pag sumobra lakas  :-D).

Offline shredmaster26

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »

Nice sounding presets bro  :-D  Astig yung Nuke ah, I like it!  :-D

Offline shredmaster26

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:23 AM »

Based on this review, I think I'll go for Zoom G7. Pero ipon muna, hehe.

I'm kind of regretting that I sold my G7 (financial reasons)...  :|   I miss it so much... Now, I'm using AX100G... Obvious na obvious sinok.  :| 

Offline redjaztin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2007, 10:01:24 AM »
hehehe...ganda talga ng G series ng zoom ngayon...sulit talaga ako sa G7 ko! hehehe

Offline redjaztin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2007, 10:13:32 AM »
boss baka naman pwedeng makahingi ng patch ng acoustic at lead settings mo ng G9...try kong habulin sa G7 ko...

lahat na pala...wag lang yung crunch....sana kayanin sa G7 ko...please

thanks!

:D

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »
I'd go for the PodxtLive because the sounds are upgradeable.

But for ease of use, Boss GT8. Plus the dynamic sensing is just plain cool.

+1

asteg dynamic sensing feature niya :-D

may dynamic feature din naman yung gt8 dba??

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2007, 07:58:19 PM »
Hi! I'm currently thinking of getting either a Yamaha DG Stomp or a Line POD XT Live for home recording. What are your takes on these two? Thanks!

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »
good for recording!!!

live. im not so sure.

Offline jv21

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2007, 10:03:07 AM »
one feature ng boss gt8 na astig eh ung "FX CHAIN" feature of which u can arrange your effect settings na gusto mo.. hehe.. walang hassle to unlike sa analog.. like if u've got around 10-12 pedals tas sa bandang adlib eh u wanna use tremolo and delay, gahol u na sa tym sa pag stomp ng mga efx na gusto mo. sa GT8, isang tapak lang, game na. hehe  :-D
"epal ikaw ,Epal ako,Epal siya,Epal Sila,Epal tayong lahat hehehehe" quote from  JUAN SINKO (founder, Sinkoism)

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
one feature ng boss gt8 na astig eh ung "FX CHAIN" feature of which u can arrange your effect settings na gusto mo.. hehe.. walang hassle to unlike sa analog.. like if u've got around 10-12 pedals tas sa bandang adlib eh u wanna use tremolo and delay, gahol u na sa tym sa pag stomp ng mga efx na gusto mo. sa GT8, isang tapak lang, game na. hehe  :-D

lupit nga nun!!!

pwede ka mag arrange ng pedals!

benta mo na gt-8 mo sa akin bro  :lol:

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2007, 12:57:42 PM »
good for recording!!!

live. im not so sure.

zoom g9.2tt.. good for live and recording:D