hulika

Author Topic: what is the best overdrive pedal you heard?  (Read 143990 times)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: what is the best overdrive pedal you heard?
« Reply #825 on: November 02, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
Planning to get an OCD or FDII Mosfet,
I already have a TS mini (SRV style - volume full, drive all the way down, always on)
I have a Shredhead and Nano big muff
I'm looking for a medium to high gain OD pedal, which one of the 2 should I get?
By the way, I play a strat into either an orange micro terror or blackstar HT1RH

get an SL Drive, or a catalinbread DLS MkIII.

The OCD is not really a high gain pedal IMHO.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #826 on: November 02, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
get an SL Drive, or a catalinbread DLS MkIII.

The OCD is not really a high gain pedal IMHO.

In terms of overall gain on tap, the OCD packs quite a lot for an overdrive. I actually consider it myself as a high gain overdrive, also the Barber Super Sport. It's not metal distortion high gain though but still very much within overdrive characteristics.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #827 on: November 03, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
Planning to get an OCD or FDII Mosfet,
I already have a TS mini (SRV style - volume full, drive all the way down, always on)
I have a Shredhead and Nano big muff
I'm looking for a medium to high gain OD pedal, which one of the 2 should I get?
By the way, I play a strat into either an orange micro terror or blackstar HT1RH

What amp are you going to use it with?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #828 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
In terms of overall gain on tap, the OCD packs quite a lot for an overdrive. I actually consider it myself as a high gain overdrive, also the Barber Super Sport. It's not metal distortion high gain though but still very much within overdrive characteristics.

when I see the words: High Gain OD, I always think Metal-levels of Gain. still don't think the OCD can go to the gain levels of the DLS or SL tho.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #829 on: November 04, 2017, 12:10:49 AM »
may i ask this question. i might be wrong after all this time.

what is the borderline / boundary  in distinguishing between an overdrive pedal from a distortion pedal?
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #830 on: November 04, 2017, 01:36:53 AM »
What amp are you going to use it with?
Either my micro terror or blackstar ht1rh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #831 on: November 04, 2017, 01:43:20 AM »

what is the borderline / boundary  in distinguishing between an overdrive pedal from a distortion pedal?

IMHO. Gain.

OD = lesser gain but somehow, there are some pedals that are tagged as "overdirve" but can produce to much gain. e.g. shredhead
Distortion = higher gain. for tech guys, the term's meaning was altering sound wave clippings. i don't know anything about it. all i know is, "chugs" are better with distortions other than overdrives.
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #832 on: November 04, 2017, 01:43:48 AM »

https://reverb.com/news/fuzz-distorsion-et-overdrive-quelle-difference

Offline Stoop

« Reply #833 on: November 04, 2017, 05:00:48 AM »

From what I understand it's how these pedals alter the sound waves.
ODs "clip" the signal of your guitar but those clipping are "softer" compared to the hard clipping of distortion where the sound waves are almost square-like in contrast.

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #834 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
thanks to all who replied.

i already know about the gain stages in drive pedals. from clean boost to overdrive to distortion to fuzz. my question is in connection to r_chino and ralph p.'s comments. i should have elaborated better. when can a drive pedal be called overdrive and distortion respectively? can an ocd be called a distortion and a dsl an overdrive?
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #835 on: November 04, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »

i already know about the gain stages in drive pedals. from clean boost to overdrive to distortion to fuzz. my question is in connection to r_chino and ralph p.'s comments. i should have elaborated better. when can a drive pedal be called overdrive and distortion respectively? can an ocd be called a distortion and a dsl an overdrive?
Hard to tell TBH. I mean we can run the signals of these things into an oscilloscope but all we will get is a visual of the waveform, but one man's OD may already be another's distortion.

Additionally, a factor that complicates this is usage. Some folks use OD pedals into a slightly crunchy amp to get distortion etc. Might be splitting hairs here but to me od and dists maybe interchangeable, but once it hits square wave territory, we're in fuzztown.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #836 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »
Can't say which od is the best I've heard (they all sound the same LOL) but the best ones I have PLAYED through:

Danelectro Transparent OD
OCD
Boss SD1
Boss OD3

Online fishsago

• Veteran Member
« Reply #837 on: November 05, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »

The OCD and DLS are more of a distortion.
I think it is better to label dirts in their gain capacity (low, mid, high gain). Its simpler that way.
Nowadays we call overdrives that are like amp break ups to mild drive. Distortions are capable of mid to high gain saturated crunch. Fuzzes are like amps ready to blow up. But really, they're all distortions because they distort your signal.

Back to the topic. The honey bee overdrive and its derivatives are one of the best sounding od.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:21:23 AM by fishsago »

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #838 on: January 14, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
BK Butler Tube Driver, Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive, and Analogman KOT.
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #839 on: January 14, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »
Would like to add the Mooer Pureboost. Really bang for the buck. I am told that this is a clone of some other great pedal? Really good value for the money.

Another is the Ethos OD. While not exactly an effect pedal (I use it as a front end that I then link to the effects return of an amp), the overdrive from this is really great and useful.

Can't say which od is the best I've heard (they all sound the same LOL) but the best ones I have PLAYED through:

Danelectro Transparent OD
OCD
Boss SD1
Boss OD3

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #840 on: January 14, 2018, 10:27:22 PM »
Would like to add the Mooer Pureboost. Really bang for the buck. I am told that this is a clone of some other great pedal? Really good value for the money.

Another is the Ethos OD. While not exactly an effect pedal (I use it as a front end that I then link to the effects return of an amp), the overdrive from this is really great and useful.

Yes. Xotic RC Booster. Had both and tried both at the same time. Save for pot differences in sweep, I'd say it's pretty darn close in sound. :-)

Offline robinonibor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #841 on: January 15, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
TS808 and TS9

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #842 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:34 AM »
For boost/low gain purposes, I love my modded (Keeley-style, by MarkV) Boss Blues Driver.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #843 on: January 15, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »

Yes. Xotic RC Booster. Had both and tried both at the same time. Save for pot differences in sweep, I'd say it's pretty darn close in sound. :-)

have you guys tried the MOOER FLEXBOOST? sounds great as well! I swapped my pureboost for the flexboost. :)

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #844 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »

ok ba yung ProCo RAT? tamang wilabaliw lang togs
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #845 on: January 15, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »
For boost / low-gain OD, at bedroom level, i love the wampler tumnus both for single coil and humbucker. adds something magical and makes every other drive pedal you stack it with sound tight. for higher volumes, i love the mxr booster mini (internal gain pot set to 9 o'clock) especially on single coil guitars.

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #846 on: January 15, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
OCD pa din pwede pa maging disto
dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #847 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
For boost / low-gain OD, at bedroom level, i love the wampler tumnus both for single coil and humbucker. adds something magical and makes every other drive pedal you stack it with sound tight.

It's a Klon Centaur clone. No wonder.  :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #848 on: January 15, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »
have you guys tried the MOOER FLEXBOOST? sounds great as well! I swapped my pureboost for the flexboost. :)

I guess talagang taste lang no? I like the Pureboost to juice an amp's front end without the pedal contributing any grind e. Tama ba na Flexboost has more gain?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #849 on: January 15, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »

I have! Hahaha! Curiosity got the best of me with these Mooer pedals and comparing them with the originals. Generally, I can say that their drive pedals can get close to the originals in terms of overall sound. Flex Boost is based on the Xotic AC Booster.

Between the three famous Xotic pedals (RC, AC, BB), I still liked the BB Preamp best with the AC Booster in close second (I just hate the yellow color). The AC Booster sounds super creamy. The RC Booster was nice but later on I learned that I'm not a "clean boost" type of guy. I like my overdrives with a handful of gain.  :lol: