hulika

Author Topic: The PRS Thread...  (Read 492277 times)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The PRS Thread...
« Reply #2975 on: February 09, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
^^^Oh, wow! What a looker and with vitals of 57/08s to boot! Must sound awesome!

Belated congrats!  :-D

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2976 on: February 12, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »
Thanks man, the rosewood neck is fun to play.

The pickups deliver as expected! This may get 11 gauge strings soon as I plan to tune it a whole step down, however the standard tuning plays like a butter with 10s like I don't want to mess with it.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2977 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
Need your advice PRS players. I'm planning to buy my first PRS, it will be a SE model (Custom 22)
My concern is the neck profile. I have 2 strats with C profile necks and I have played Epiphone LPs and ES type guitars before and I prefer the Fender necks better.
Would you say the wide thin PRS necks are closer to a C shape Fender neck or Gibson type guitars?

Offline vantonilin

« Reply #2978 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
I have new found respect for PRS guitars after getting my first one (hopefully not my last) last week. :)

I think I have an HFS pickup on the bridge (and loving it!!!). Could you guys help me out, as to which after market pickup brand and model would have the same voicing as an HFS? A BKP or SD perhaps? I have another guitar that I'd like to sound like my PRS. hehehe
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:06:29 AM by vantonilin »

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2979 on: February 22, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
I have new found respect for PRS guitars after getting my first one (hopefully not my last) last week. :)

I think I have an HFS pickup on the bridge (and loving it!!!). Could you guys help me out, as to which after market pickup brand and model would have the same voicing as an HFS? A BKP or SD perhaps? I have another guitar that I'd like to sound like my PRS. hehehe

HFS bridge pups are on the high gain category, thanks to its ceramic magnets, with DC Resistance of 15 kΩ. Had it on a CU24 and was able to buy a used one for one of my McCarty's. More like a Tremonti or \m/ pickups, best served with heaps of gain and distortion.

Compared to other brands, I would say BKP Nailbomb and Painkiller with ceramic pups on bridge would be comparable. However you may need to consider to which guitar you're dropping 'em off. But to get a similar tone, you may consider looking for a used HFS over the'bay or reverb.

As for Duncans, I had used a few, JB, Distortion and Black Winter, the latter's a better match imho.

Btw, what PRS you got there, HFS are not available on later core models anymore. Lucky you got one with those.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline vantonilin

« Reply #2980 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
Compared to other brands, I would say BKP Nailbomb and Painkiller with ceramic pups on bridge would be comparable. However you may need to consider to which guitar you're dropping 'em off. But to get a similar tone, you may consider looking for a used HFS over the'bay or reverb.

Btw, what PRS you got there, HFS are not available on later core models anymore. Lucky you got one with those.

I'm looking at Ceramic Nailbombs at the moment. Unfortunately, I don't see any on the used market.

May be foolish but I plan on installing on a Tokai LP. I never appreciated how pickups contribute to the overall sound of a guitar, but after comparing an HFS and a Burstbucker 3 on the bridge I just had to do something with my LP. hahaha The difference may be coming from the overall build of PRS itself but I've gotta try to get the LP as close as possible. Loved how the HFS had a tighter bottom and overall higher output.

I got a used 2003 CE24. Overall I'm impressed with the build and now thinking of selling one guitar to get a Custom 24. :)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2981 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2982 on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »

Haha i'd like to see a shootout of that PRS Silver Sky vs. TBO Strat (Orig and Clones)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2983 on: March 06, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
Haha i'd like to see a shootout of that PRS Silver Sky vs. TBO Strat (Orig and Clones)
TBO handsdown.

unless they used the Big Dippers in the PRS,  TBO handsdown hahahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2984 on: March 07, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »

Am actually on the lookout for a clone comparison to come out any day now. hehe

I like the pricepoint and the trem system on the PRS though.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2985 on: March 08, 2018, 03:50:45 AM »
To sum up the last few months...

Ibby builds a Suhr (Ibanez AZ)
Suhr builds a Les Paul (Suhr Aura)
Fender builds a Les Paul (Troublemaker Tele)
PRS builds a Strat (Silver Sky)

I am digging the pickup sounds of that Silver Sky though. Sana may magbenta sa Stratosphere parts ng prewired Silver Sky pickups in a Fender pickguard. Haha

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2986 on: March 08, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
To sum up the last few months...

Ibby builds a Suhr (Ibanez AZ)
Suhr builds a Les Paul (Suhr Aura)
Fender builds a Les Paul (Troublemaker Tele)
PRS builds a Strat (Silver Sky)

I am digging the pickup sounds of that Silver Sky though. Sana may magbenta sa Stratosphere parts ng prewired Silver Sky pickups in a Fender pickguard. Haha

That's a pretty spot on observation.  :lol:

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2987 on: March 16, 2018, 11:07:39 PM »
Capt. Lee, Danish Pete and Joss just posted their thoughts on the Silver Sky...

"It doesn't sound and doesn't feel very different from a Strat". Sa video meron silang artist inspired TBO strat to compare it with and hindi ko napansin na nagpalit pala ng gitara from the Silver Sky to the Strat si Danish Pete in the middle of their short shootout.  :lol:

If PRS decides to build a Silver Sky SE (SSS..how fitting haha) for sure bebenta yan. 

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2988 on: March 21, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »
I'm not sure if this thread is strictly for US made PRS but I'll ask anyway.

Last week, I acquired a 2017 PRS SE Custom 24 TB and I am not happy with the tuning stability. I do quite a lot of bends and I use 10-49s on EB tuning. I am thinking of getting drop in replacement locking tuners but I also wonder if in your experience, is it the tuners or the nut that is the problem?

Offline vantonilin

« Reply #2989 on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
In my experience locking tuners helped me with easier string changes. It didn't help muchbwith tuning stability. I'd check the nut first. If you've got a bad nut i don't think locking tuners will help. Mas mura pa yata ang nut. Hehehe

Have you checked other parts of the guitar? Saddles perhaps?
Try checking for string butler.

Anyway i hope you're able to fix the problem. Good luck bro!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2990 on: March 21, 2018, 08:33:26 PM »
I'm not sure if this thread is strictly for US made PRS but I'll ask anyway.

Last week, I acquired a 2017 PRS SE Custom 24 TB and I am not happy with the tuning stability. I do quite a lot of bends and I use 10-49s on EB tuning. I am thinking of getting drop in replacement locking tuners but I also wonder if in your experience, is it the tuners or the nut that is the problem?

Am not sure if PRS changed their nut with the newer SEs.. They have used plastic for so long on their older SE models which is the usual culprit for tuning problems. The stock SE machine heads are more than decent. On other foreign PRS forums, it's always recommended to change the nut first -- usually it's Graphtech (either PT-6060 or PT-6643).

I have a 2007 SE Standard where I installed a Graphtech nut circa 2008/2009. I have not found the need to change the machine heads since, but mine came with a wraparound tailpiece anyway, not a trem.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2991 on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »
In my experience locking tuners helped me with easier string changes. It didn't help muchbwith tuning stability. I'd check the nut first. If you've got a bad nut i don't think locking tuners will help. Mas mura pa yata ang nut. Hehehe

Have you checked other parts of the guitar? Saddles perhaps?
Try checking for string butler.

Anyway i hope you're able to fix the problem. Good luck bro!

Maybe I'm just impatient, it's brand new actually so maybe I need to spend more time with it and check the other parts like you said

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2992 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
Am not sure if PRS changed their nut with the newer SEs.. They have used plastic for so long on their older SE models which is the usual culprit for tuning problems. The stock SE machine heads are more than decent. On other foreign PRS forums, it's always recommended to change the nut first -- usually it's Graphtech (either PT-6060 or PT-6643).

I have a 2007 SE Standard where I installed a Graphtech nut circa 2008/2009. I have not found the need to change the machine heads since, but mine came with a wraparound tailpiece anyway, not a trem.

I agree. first upgrades on a guitar should be the nut. especially on entry/mid tier models. As mentioned, in another thread, I had a P93 Riviera that had bad tuning issues. I thought locking tuners were the solution but Micsis advised that it is most probably the saddles and nut. true enough, that did the trick. now, I can abuse the bigsby all the way.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2993 on: March 21, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »

I remember that time sir when you posted the nut replacement I was still using a different PM handle which I cant access anymore. Been GASsing for a PRS for 10 years pala bago ko nakuha  :nosebleed:
This just hit me now, I changed the string gauge to 10s from 9s but didn't adjust the neck. Will that have that much of an effect on tuning stability?

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2994 on: March 21, 2018, 08:56:03 PM »
I agree. first upgrades on a guitar should be the nut. especially on entry/mid tier models. As mentioned, in another thread, I had a P93 Riviera that had bad tuning issues. I thought locking tuners were the solution but Micsis advised that it is most probably the saddles and nut. true enough, that did the trick. now, I can abuse the bigsby all the way.

I'll probably give it 1-2 more weeks of constant  playing then I will go for a Graphtech replacement if i'm still unhappy. Thanks sa advice mga master   :-D

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2995 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
I'll probably give it 1-2 more weeks of constant  playing then I will go for a Graphtech replacement if i'm still unhappy. Thanks sa advice mga master   :-D

try a quick fix: lead/pencil shavings on the stock nut. if it helps, then its the nut.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2996 on: March 21, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »

Mismo. Stock plastic nuts on Epiphones are bad, worse than PRS SEs. Di rin ako masyado fan ng stock hardware ng Epiphone. Better to put String Saver saddles for good measure kung may trem or para hindi agad maputulan ng strings... or a better bridge altogether (Gotoh, Tonepros, etc).

I remember that time sir when you posted the nut replacement I was still using a different PM handle which I cant access anymore. Been GASsing for a PRS for 10 years pala bago ko nakuha  :nosebleed:
This just hit me now, I changed the string gauge to 10s from 9s but didn't adjust the neck. Will that have that much of an effect on tuning stability?

Haha welcome to the club. The PRS SE is still with me and I still use it occasionally. Teka, you switched from 9s to 10s? Were your nut slots originally cut for 9s? Baka nagba-bind sa slots yung strings niyo po ngayon kasi mas makapal sila. Try mo rin to slightly widen the nut slots for gauge 10s.

Regarding neck adjustment... I only adjust the necks on my guitars kung kailangan. Depende sa wood and neck ng guitar, may times na hindi ako nag aadjust ng truss rod when going from 9s to 10s, kung hindi naman gagalaw yung neck and its relief.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:30:47 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2997 on: March 22, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
Mismo. Stock plastic nuts on Epiphones are bad, worse than PRS SEs. Di rin ako masyado fan ng stock hardware ng Epiphone. Better to put String Saver saddles for good measure kung may trem or para hindi agad maputulan ng strings... or a better bridge altogether (Gotoh, Tonepros, etc).

Haha welcome to the club. The PRS SE is still with me and I still use it occasionally. Teka, you switched from 9s to 10s? Was your nut slots originally cut for 9s? Baka nagba-bind sa slots yung strings niyo po ngayon kasi mas makapal sila. Try mo rin to slightly widen the nut slots for gauge 10s.

Regarding neck adjustment... I only adjust the necks on my guitars kung kailangan. Depende sa wood and neck ng guitar, may times na hindi ako nag aadjust ng truss rod when going from 9s to 10s, kung hindi naman gagalaw yung neck and its relief.

Epiphones are bad. period hahahaha I wont blind myself just because I own one. I got the P93 because it looked really good HAHAHAHAHA tska I was in love with the Dues Starplayer at the time pero no budget. close enough HAHAHAHA

but yeah, string saver saddles plus tusq nut. and it now plays like a beaut!

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2998 on: March 22, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
lyric na pala official distributor ng prs di na pala jb.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2999 on: March 22, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »

Haha welcome to the club. The PRS SE is still with me and I still use it occasionally. Teka, you switched from 9s to 10s? Was your nut slots originally cut for 9s? Baka nagba-bind sa slots yung strings niyo po ngayon kasi mas makapal sila. Try mo rin to slightly widen the nut slots for gauge 10s.

I checked the slots and they look like the 10s are sitting nicely, hindi ipit. I'll try the pencil lead trick as advised by sir Ralph