hulika

Author Topic: lubricants & nuts.....i'm talking about the one's for guitars  (Read 4590 times)

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
lubricants & nuts.....i'm talking about the one's for guitars
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
locally, I have only seen GRAPHITALL (at RJ music) and BIG BENDS (at this fancy store at ATC). May naka-try naba nito? was it worth the $$$?

I have tuning issues with my guitar (and past guitards):
1.) when I tune up, there's this clicking at the nut, and the tuning skips. I know this can be cured by filing the nut but I don't have the tools to do that and every guitar tech I know can't completely eliminate it.
2.) even if i stretch the strings, they still go a little bit out of tuning after wanking with it for a while
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: lubricants & nuts.....i'm talking about the one's for guitars
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »
Two of my guitars have properly cut bone nuts and the other one is a Squier with the stock plastic (?) nut. I just use a little oil or a pencil to make the slots smoother. I haven't had any binding issues so far.

But are sure it's the nut and not the string trees or tuning pegs?
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Try Chapstick on your nut.  :-o   :eek: :-P

Find an old one not being used anymore and use a small instrument (eg toothpick) to scrape off a small amount and place in the slot. You could apply the same on the tuning tree/s and saddles. Cheap (free from your girl, sis or mom!) alternative to Big Bends in my experience.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
^ +1 or petroleum jelly  :-D
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
Try Chapstick on your nut.  :-o   :eek: :-P

Find an old one not being used anymore and use a small instrument (eg toothpick) to scrape off a small amount and place in the slot. You could apply the same on the tuning tree/s and saddles. Cheap (free from your girl, sis or mom!) alternative to Big Bends in my experience.

have you tried the big bends?

my issue with alternatives like chapsticks is that they could possibly mute the string...since parang cream sya diba? so when you play or tune, pag nag-move yung string forward towards the frets, ma-cacarry nya yung creamy material...resulting the mute-ing of the string.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »
Two of my guitars have properly cut bone nuts and the other one is a Squier with the stock plastic (?) nut. I just use a little oil or a pencil to make the slots smoother. I haven't had any binding issues so far.

But are sure it's the nut and not the string trees or tuning pegs?

I don't think its the tuning pegs....nararanasan ko sya madalas sa gibsons. something about the neck angle I think(?)

I once tried the pencil think on my old guitars (a strat), parang di naman gumagana in my experience

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
i would suggest that you replace your nut sir TS, IMO use Graph tech nuts for high quality and won't give you any trouble ever(if it is in the nut that has issue), anu nga pala guitar mo TS? try looking for Graph Tech sa The Music Source Festival mall, and wait i'm not from TMS nor any marketing guys around. just my 2 cents guys. PEACE =)
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
I don't think its the tuning pegs....nararanasan ko sya madalas sa gibsons. something about the neck angle I think(?)

I once tried the pencil think on my old guitars (a strat), parang di naman gumagana in my experience
Posible ring masyadong malambot yung material ng nut. Kahit i-lubricate, may risk pa rin ng binding.
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
di po ba napupudpod ang graphtech nuts?

my guitar is a Gibson v from the 80's.

thanks sa info on the availability of graptech nuts sa TMS festi mall...didn't know meron pala nun dun :)

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

my guitar is a Gibson v from the 80's.

thanks sa info on the availability of graptech nuts sa TMS festi mall...didn't know meron pala nun dun :)

Of course napupudpod din sir, di naman invulnerable yun, hahah! but lasts longer than your stock nut. try mo mag visit dun sa TMS Festi, though di ko masabi kung my available dahil high ang demand ng mga yan though you can order to our fellow members here if you haven't found any. in short you have many options =)
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »

there was an interview with guthrie govan na hindi na nya gusto at mabilis mapudpod yung graphtech nut sa previous suhr sig model nya kaya ke used bone material on his new charvel sig.

anyway, you only need lubrication kung heavy bender or heavy trem user ka. otherwise a nicely cut bone nut will do the job just fine without lubrication.

you can easily make your own bone nut. bili ka lang ng malaking chunk ng buto buto, cut it to size with a hacksaw, ibilad sa araw until it's completely dry.
you can then use fine sand paper and file to shape it to a proper nut.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:49:21 PM by randymarsh »
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »
have you tried the big bends?

my issue with alternatives like chapsticks is that they could possibly mute the string...since parang cream sya diba? so when you play or tune, pag nag-move yung string forward towards the frets, ma-cacarry nya yung creamy material...resulting the mute-ing of the string.

I used to use Big Bends until I read on TGP about the Chapstick thingee ages ago. That discussion was also about alternatives for Big Bends. Petroleum Jelly was also suggested with some saying that adding powdered graphite would be a plus. So I tried Chapstick first only because they appeared to me to be easier to scrape off and apply. Have not used Big Bends since then.

I've never had muting probs with the Chapstick method. The only way I think that would be possible is too have excessive amounts of the smeared Chapstick beyond the nut edge of the fingerboard side.

Having said that, I will be frank and say that I have not used any nut lubricants (even Chapstick!) after I began using bone nuts cut by either 2 of the well-known luthiers here or after-market graphite nuts prepped, if needed, by them.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
even if the nut is well cut, in cold weather it will bind, even fishing lines do that. i use this and i have and it costs 1$ from the dollar store

it will last long as i use only when paying live

Offline walanakamingyelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
Tried using petroleum jelly for years now never had any problems bro. Wag lead mejo delikeyds sya sa strings ng axe mo.
Heart, Mind, Hands

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
I read that pencil shavings are not advisable..but I just do it anyway...so thats what I use..even for cleaning guitars, I just use some pledge and all is good to go... been longing to buy some lemon oil for my necks..but pag nandun na ako sa shop..lagi ko sinasabi na, meh, di naman kailangan..haha
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
parang naiisip ko dalhin na lang kay mang jun. when he did my past guitars, never ako nakaranas ng string binding...mahal nga lang :/

Offline notlimhxcx

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
IMO strings pinging when you tune up is caused by a poorly cut nut, whichever material the nut is made up of. I have bone nuts installed in every guitar i own/owned and use singer oil to lubricate every once in a while. hth

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
petrolium jelly / lip balm should work \m/

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »
Anything except pencil lead.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
Anything except pencil lead.

I used to use this way way back...parang di naman gumagana hehe

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
^^^
Pencil lead daw kasi are not exactly graphite. It's pure  graphite shavings (or complete nut) that would do the trick.

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
try using fast fret on the nut?
doh!!!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »
i would suggest that you replace your nut sir TS, IMO use Graph tech nuts for high quality and won't give you any trouble ever(if it is in the nut that has issue), anu nga pala guitar mo TS? try looking for Graph Tech sa The Music Source Festival mall, and wait i'm not from TMS nor any marketing guys around. just my 2 cents guys. PEACE =)

just went to TMS festi, wala na silang available na graphtech :(

Offline precisionguided

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
Big bends nut sauce will solve those problems. It also lasts a lot longer than you think. Try it.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 01:18:01 AM »
^^^
Pencil lead daw kasi are not exactly graphite. It's pure  graphite shavings (or complete nut) that would do the trick.
It's mostly clay and/or charcoal.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com