hulika

Author Topic: Bebop Scale  (Read 3233 times)

Offline mysmileyface

• Veteran Member
Bebop Scale
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Can anyone teach me what is the basic of Bebop Scale and its note progression. I'll be very thankful if you can also derive the notes from the C major progression, e.g.:

C major: C D E F G A B C
C minor: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C
C blues: C D# F F# G # C

Yes, I know there are plenty of journals here in internet, videos particularly in Youtube. But I find it hard to learn, because they're using the basic, the core of music theory which I sadly forgotten (Some of it) now.

Thank you po! :)

*I've also posted this to the Bass Place section since I'm a bassist. I'm not spamming, I think these are the right sections to answer what I'm asking.

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
Re: Bebop Scale
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »
C-Bop

C-D-E-F-G-A-Bb-B-C-

I bop chromatically --descending.

Offline mysmileyface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
Does that mean if do it in G, the notes would be G F D C# C Bb G?

Sir, another question. When I do blues in G, I feel that the B F# High E and High Eb is a a good passing note. I don't know if I'm right or wrong. Can you explain that to me, what scale am I using, is it okay to add those four notes?

Thank you po! :D

Offline cofibreyk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »
just use your ears...there's no music in it if you're just gonna think of it as scales with it's passing notes and chordal tones and thinking if it is right or wrong based on musical theory. derive phrases instead and form sentences so that the message can come out. ..at least for me

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »
Does that mean if do it in G, the notes would be G F D C# C Bb G?

NOH, IT SHOULD BE:  G-A-B-C-D-E-F-F#-G  (if descending go backwards)

Passing notes are passing notes, use them in so far as they help them make your improv musical.

Charlie Parker is a guru of chromatic playing, he just knew which note to start his improv, and which note to end it with, which quad or triad notes to repeat (like blues quick runs).  He had the gift to play those notes rihythmytically, and swings when needed. The essence of jazz may be improvisation, however, to be able to play them notes musically within the beat is a gift.  Translating Parker to guitar--listen to Tal Farlow, Joe Pass and the hard-bluesy-bopper Wes Montgomery.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:11:16 PM by dannygatton »

Offline mysmileyface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:54 PM »
Passing notes are passing notes, use them in so far as they help them make your improv musical.

Charlie Parker is a guru of chromatic playing, he just know which note to start his improv, and which note to end it with, which quad or triad notes to repeat (like blues quick runs).  He has a gift to play those notes rihythmytically, and swings when needed. The essence of jazz may be improvisation, however, to be able to play them notes musically within the beat is a gift.  Translating Parker to guitar--listen to Tal Farlow, Joe Pass and the hard-bluesy-bopper Wes Montgomery.

Well then, thank you, sir. Anyway, I am familiar with Charlie Parker only with his quote.

just use your ears...there's no music in it if you're just gonna think of it as scales with it's passing notes and chordal tones and thinking if it is right or wrong based on musical theory. derive phrases instead and form sentences so that the message can come out. ..at least for me

And what Mr. Parker said is, "Master your instrument, master the music and then forget all that [gooey brown stuff] and just play". :)

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
lagya mo pa bb s Cblues  :)

Offline mysmileyface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
lagya mo pa bb s Cblues  :)

Kapag po nag-blues po ako sa C, may Bb po at B. :) Sir, kayo po? Ano pong scale yung parang maraming notes na pasok? Syempre, yung hindi po shred. :)