hulika

Author Topic: ALBUM REVIEW: YELLOWCARD - WHEN YOU'RE THROUGH THINKING, SAY YES  (Read 785 times)

Offline fbasilio

YELLOWCARD - WHEN YOU’RE THROUGH THINKING, SAY YES

Introduction:
Yellowcard is back! But is the long awaited comeback with a new record worth the wait? I have been a fan of Yellowcard for almost 10 years as of now. I first heard of the band when they made a cover of the song Everywhere by Michelle Branch (who used to be one of my favorite artists back then). This was during the era of punk bands doing covers of pop songs. Among those bands, Yellowcard is the only one that successfully definitely stood the test of time. Through the years, they have proven that they are not just another one of those bands just known for doing covers. Compared to these other bands, Yellowcard is the most musically superior and musically gifted group. The band has shown their capability to make their music evolve, from One For the Kids (which is very Punk-ish), Ocean Avenue (Punk Rock-ish as evidenced by the first half of the album), Lights and Sounds (Rock-ish as accentuated by the last song of this album), and finally to Paper Walls (Heavy Rock-ish especially the three last songs in the album). As a fan, this is personally a satisfying musical journey that pretty much covers every genre I want. But have to admit that the music they have made through the years does not cater to the general public. Will this new record continue to use Yellowcard’s formula for songwriting with their trademark parts where there is surely a solid hard ”Punch” after sudden pause, drum and guitar combinations that will make you headbang unconsciously, and “Scream-at-the-top-of-your-lungs” choruses? Or will this new record deviate from Yellowcard’s formula and experiment with an entirely different kind of music? Is this the record that will finally please the typical music listener these days especially the younger generation?

Experience:
Listening to a new Yellowcard record has always been an entirely new experience for me. From one track to another, Yellowcard would continue to amaze me with the kind of music they are capable of making. I could quickly pick my favorite songs and the standout songs with the freshest sound, catchiest melodies, and of course the trademark “Punch” in these songs.  Listening to this new record was still a new experience in a sense that it seemed that I could not find what I was looking for. The opening track The Sound of You and Me had a feel that is very much the same as The Takedown, the opening track of Paper Walls. Then it is followed by For You, and Your Denial, which had a feel the same as Believe from Ocean Avenue. Then it is followed by With You Around, which had a feel the same as Shrink The World from Paper Walls. So at this point I am beginning to wonder. Haven’t I heard these before? So what’s new in this album? More than halfway in to the album, I was starting to feel a sense of urgency. Time is running out. I’m about to reach the end of the record and I am still wondering. The wondering came to an end when I reached the song Sing For Me. With the new album, I was expecting Yellowcard to follow along the lines of the progression from One for the Kids to Paper Walls. Sing For Me slapped me in the face and made me realize and made me accept the fact that the record is not going to be something I am expecting it to be. Though this song is an incredible love song lyrically, its music deviates from the usual Yellowcard rock music. Finally the record ends, as expected, on a strong note with Be The Young, a song with catchy lyrics amid good solid rock music. The band has been known for choosing the most appropriate song to end a record in such a way that it summarizes the entire record such as Hollwywood Died for Lights and Sounds and Paper Walls for Paper Walls.

Rating:

CREATIVITY: 6.9/10
As others have put it, this record is a fusion of Ocean Avenue and Paper Walls. Aside from the similarities in sound, there were even lyrical similarities that can be noticed.  “Do you remember when I said that you are my only one…” from With You Around and “Bring Walls Down…” from The Sound of You and Me. I would say it is a synthesis of the band’s incredible career. But for those who are always expecting a new sound from a new record, a synthesis may not be creative enough to produce a fresh sound.

SONGWRITING: 8.8/10
One of the major strengths of the band is songwriting and this facet of the band is still present in this new record. The songs the band writes seem to be growing with them as shown by the stories being told in their songs. At this point time in Yellowcard’s career, the song Be The Young perfectly demonstrates how the band’s songwriting is intertwined with the life of its members through time. Another well-written song in the record is the song Hang You Up. It’s a very simple song yet very meaningful. This song may not have the usual solid rock music that Yellowcard is known for but it very much deserves to be recognized in terms of songwriting. I give credit to Sing For Me, the only love song in this album, for its beautiful lyrics. Other reviews said that this song is comparable and could rival Only One. For me, it is possible but only in terms of the lyrics and words of the song. Only One is way up there among the elite Yellowcard songs of all time (together with Gifts and Curses and Hollywood Died) as it is an emotional song supported by a combination of great vocals, lyrics, and instruments.

INSTRUMENTS: 8.3/10
The bass parts in this record deserve a lot of credit. Knowing that Sean O., the new bassist, was not playing bass in his previous band, he did pretty well in putting in badass bass parts. It actually sounded like it was still Pete, their previous terrific bass player, recording the bass parts in this record. LP’s drum parts are, as usual, carrying the rest of the instruments throughout the songs. Sean M.’s violin solo in Hang You Up elevated that song into a new level compared to its Big If version. The violin and guitar solo in Life of Leaving Home is an unforgettable display of musical talent by the band. The chord progression in this song is something guitar players could appreciate.

OVERALL RATING: 8.0/10
Though the record did not turn out to be the record I am expecting from Yellowcard, I still like it since it gives glimpses of the old Yellowcard and on few occasions gives fresh Yellowcard sounds. It has a number of good tracks. My favorites are Life of Leaving Home, Hang You Up, For You, and Your Denial, and Be The Young. After listening to the record over and over again, I’m still trying to decide if I like The Sound of You and Me, See Me Smiling and Soundtrack. I’m sure I wasn’t sold on Sing For Me, Hide, and With You Around because these songs sounded very Pop-ish to me. Just to give you and idea how this record compares with the rest of Yellowcard’s records based on my scale, below is a quick summary:

One for the Kids: Creativity-7.1 Songwriting-8.0 Instruments-8.3 => 7.8
Ocean avenue: Creativity-8.1 Songwriting-8.3 Instruments-8.5 => 8.3
Lights and Sounds: Creativity-8.5 Songwriting-8.2 Instruments-8.8 => 8.5
Paper Walls: Creativity-8.7 Songwriting-8.3 Instruments-8.8 => 8.6
When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes: Creativity-6.9 Songwriting-8.8 Instruments-8.3 => 8.0

Recommendation:
When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes is a record that caters to both long-time lovers of Yellowcard’s punk rock music and the younger generation of these days that love mainstream music. This record can take Yellowcard fans back in time to Paper Walls days and even to Ocean Avenue days. This record can win new fans for Yellowcard with the song Sing For Me and Hang You Up. I therefore recommend this record as a good buy for existing fans of Yellowcard and to those who have just heard about Yellowcard. This record is not better than Ocean Avenue, Lights and Sounds, or Paper Walls, but it is a good start for a comeback after a two-year hiatus. Who knows maybe Yellowcard will build on this record to create an all time great sixth record. From a loyal Yellowcard fan, Welcome back Yellowcard! Good luck on your new record and wish your music spreads to a wider listening audience.