hulika

Author Topic: SINOSIKAT: Why does the album sound utterly different from the original mixes?  (Read 24296 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Honestly, when "Turning My Safety On" came out on radio, I was stupified by how great the production/recording and mixing was done.  Apparently Allen, their bassist did the work.  It was a world-class recording IMO.  Hence the anticipation for the album on my part.  But when I listened to the album promo on radio, is it just me, but, the album sounds way too clean.  Sterile IMO for THEIR sound.  They play soul/funk, so a little dirt could have been added, pretty much like the original "Turning My Safety On" mix. 

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
when "turning..." came out on radio and mtv/myx, akala ko electronica group sila (parang drip)...
yep i have the CD! i bought it twice! yep, i think ok sya pero i also noticed how over produced/clean it was. sa kotse ko pa lang napapatugtog eh...havent tried sa home component.

about the album mix being different from the pre-release mixes...may storya daw ito e...pero im not sure how accurate ung alam kong version...annywaaaay...it was a sad story
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
tell the story!
Visit the Phantom Mime on soundclick!www.soundlick.com/PhantomMime

LOOKING FOR ROCK GUITARIST LP AREA click here for more info

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
tell the story!

Spilledmilk also needs a good lawyer in case he gets himself in a not-so-good situation.  :-D

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
haha nahhhh

anyway ung alam ko naman is tsismis lang...so i dunno...

Offline lilith

haha nahhhh

which story? that labels get to call the shot on how the songs are supposed to be mixed in the album?   :|

dunno if this is true. but i would rily love to get a hold of a copy of the unreleased album/ep, kung meron man.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:40:20 AM by lilith »

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
I won't get sued for this one because Allen himself said this:

"They removed every element that I contributed to the album. Basically, the bass guitar, the rhodes in this particular track, and replaced it with session musicians... It doesn't sound the same because my lines are under my copyright."

"They also had it remixed by another mixing engineer, and trashed my mixes. The reasons are too lengthy and inappropriate to be written in this forum. But when you get the chance, buy their album and judge for yourself whether you prefer the old one of the new one. peace
=)"

Offline tempo

haha nahhhh

which story? that labels get to call the shot on how the songs are supposed to be mixed in the album?   :|

dunno if this is true. but i would rily love to get a hold of a copy of the unreleased album/ep, kung meron man.

dati may 3 songs ang sino sikat sa myspace account nila. this was before they released the album. it was totally different from the mix on the album, mas "madumi" yung sound nila (in a good way). i think it was turning my safety off, telepono, & praning. but i would still give credit to allen umali, he is such a good musician...

nevertheless, i still love their album. go buy the album!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I won't get sued for this one because Allen himself said this:

"They removed every element that I contributed to the album. Basically, the bass guitar, the rhodes in this particular track, and replaced it with session musicians... It doesn't sound the same because my lines are under my copyright."

"They also had it remixed by another mixing engineer, and trashed my mixes. The reasons are too lengthy and inappropriate to be written in this forum. But when you get the chance, buy their album and judge for yourself whether you prefer the old one of the new one. peace
=)"

Hands down... the older mixes sound WAYYYY BETTER. 

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
anyone have a link to the old mixes?

I have only heard them through the CD (which I guess has the new mix)....

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I even have live bootlegs!!!!!

well...ang habol ko lang naman talaga is yung si KAT (este boses ni KAT) hehehe

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
ang galing pala nila!  :-o
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
haha nahhhh

nevertheless, i still love their album. go buy the album!

I won't buy an album that doesn't possess what I want to hear. Much worse if I heard it before and it's not gonna be in my hands.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
i'd buy it for the music.  i heard one song and i'd say im willing to fork out the cash for even just the promise of another song as good as the one i heard. 

being audio enthusiasts can really spoil the fun for us sometimes.  i was at some bar lately listening to live music again.  i found it difficult to enjoy the show because of the bad acoustics.  the place just didn't do the artists any justice (but the really good performers still cut through somehow).  in the end though, i told myself to stop worrying about the sound quality and immerse myself in the music and energy of the performers.   :-)

as far as sino sikat is concerned, i got to listen to Akin Ka and i would say it's a pretty darn good recording.  the drum sounds are too clean and in-your-face for the genre i think but there are really no set rules as to how an artist should or should not sound.  what matters is if the music breathes.  that one definitely does. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:10:16 PM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
i'd buy it for the music.  i heard one song and i'd say im willing to fork out the cash for even just the promise of another song as good as the one i heard. 

being audio enthusiasts can really spoil the fun for us sometimes.  i was at some bar lately listening to live music again.  i found it difficult to enjoy the show because of the bad acoustics.  the place just didn't do the artists any justice (but the really good performers still cut through somehow).  in the end though, i told myself to stop worrying about the sound quality and immerse myself in the music and energy of the performers.   :-)

as far as sino sikat is concerned, i got to listen to Akin Ka and i would say it's a pretty darn good recording.  the drum sounds are too clean and in-your-face for the genre i think but there are really no set rules as to how an artist should or should not sound.  what matters is if the music breathes.  that one definitely does. 

You have a point there Hazel.  But what holds me back from buying the album are:

1)  Allen is not part of the band now.  And he is one of the people I really admire in the business.
2)  Allen's work on the old mixes were superior to the ones I hear in the commercial release.  Diba parang baliktad?  The commercial releases should sound much better than the demo mixes.  Apparently there was a band member revamp.  Hence the statements of Allen.
3)  I'm a tone freak.  I'm not really pro hi-fi though.  More of the "what works" type of person. 

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
just bought the album

galing nila

but yeah the production was too clean for their type of sound (at least what I expect their music to sound in my head).

Tsaka napansin ko parang iba yung pagka-mix ng turning my safety off sa album, mas madumi sya than the others, is this the original mix, or did they just make that track dirtier on purpose?

Anyways, magaling sila talaga.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
I dunno if it was discussed here or in the Bass Place but Rommel de la Cruz played bass on the album instead of Allen Umali. In my mind (though I havent heard the album but I have a CD of their demo) that would make a big difference right there.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline dayuhanspace

Yan ang usually nagiging problema pag ang isang good indie band ay na sign up sa isang major label. the company decides what to play,who to play with and how you look kaya nasasayang yun pagka orig sound at spirit ng banda.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus

Yan ang usually nagiging problema pag ang isang good indie band ay na sign up sa isang major label. the company decides what to play,who to play with and how you look kaya nasasayang yun pagka orig sound at spirit ng banda.

Nope, that had nothing to do with it in this particular case. Allen and Sinosikat parted ways because they wanted to.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
Allen and Sinosikat parted ways because they wanted to.

sayang nga, one of my favorite tracks was the one Allen wrote - -Tragic Beauty

nO RLY

nasa producers din yan siguro. or how the way it was mixed. sina Vic Mercado pati Nathan Azarcon producers ng album ng Sinosikat?. siguro may twineak sila ng kaunti sa mga kanta ng sinosikat. may inibang melody, fill, etc. :-)

Offline jasonsteele99

I have listened to the old mixes and compared it with the album mixes.Two songs nga lang Turning My Safety Off and So Blue. Iba nga pero  pareho naman maganda.

Buy the album. Sulit kayo sa pera nyo. =)

Offline jeff_proX40

• Veteran Member
Galing nila. pero parang sobrang linis ng pag mix. mas ok talaga yung halatang ginawa parin ng tao yung tugtugan. hehe
Just let your music fill the empty spaces in you. It's all you have so take advantage of it. It's a gift!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
they sound great...swabeng swabe lng.  :-D

i want to hear their previous recordings with Allen on bass.  kasi ung mga narinig ko na songs nila, si Rommel na ung bass, eh mgaling naman kasi sya tlga eh kaya ganda rin ng mix nya with the other bandmates.  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline acousticky14

• Forum Fanatic
ang galing nila nung una kong narinig yung song nila na so blue pati yung turning my safety off.. hanap agad ako sa youtube ng videos nila, ang galing eh! bibili na nga ako ng album nila soon..  :-D