hulika

Author Topic: Gundam Kits and Mods  (Read 173162 times)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Gundam Kits and Mods
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
Cute.  Have you painted it?
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
thanks  :-)
not yet, wala pa ako stock na white paint.
mahaba ba yung legs or tama lang?

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2010, 12:50:32 AM »
thanks  :-)
not yet, wala pa ako stock na white paint.
mahaba ba yung legs or tama lang?

It's SD.  There's really no such thing as too long or too short, since it's all up to you.

New Manila Sound

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2010, 08:12:48 AM »
also i came across a cam of Pylox clear coat was wondering if it could replace the tamiya clear coat?

Pylox is lacquer based while Tamiya is acrylic. Don't use lacquer over acrylic cause it will eat into the acrylic base and/or cause cracking.

Ideally, if you use acrylics, then all paints and primers should be acrylic based so you can avoid paint adhesion problems as well as cracking. If you do need to mix paints, it should be lacquer as the lowest coat, enamels over that, and acrylic as topmost coat. It also helps that lacquers and enamels be dried for at least 2 days so that you prevent paint cracking over the topmost coat or clearcoat. Personally, I prefer to use Tamiya primers or Gunze surfacers for the bottom/initial coat so that the later color coats will adhere. One more thing, also wash the plastic with dishwashing soap before painting to remove molding agents. his will ensure proper adhesion of all paint coats.

TIP: A good clear gloss coat is Pledge's Future floor polish which is acrylic based. I was lucky enough to buy a couple of bottles in a hardware store in ATC and these will last you through tens of models, if not a hundred per bottle.

Not a Gundam modeler, unfortunately, but I do WWII German aircraft and jets in scales of 1/48 and above.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jpastorius

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »
pare if interested ka lang i have a friend sculpturer, kung gusto mgpagawa ng gundam made in kahoy pero shempre hindi movable parang statue type. medyo mahal lang

dito wala tayong argumento, business lang.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2010, 04:12:48 PM »
Pylox is lacquer based while Tamiya is acrylic. Don't use lacquer over acrylic cause it will eat into the acrylic base and/or cause cracking.

Ideally, if you use acrylics, then all paints and primers should be acrylic based so you can avoid paint adhesion problems as well as cracking. If you do need to mix paints, it should be lacquer as the lowest coat, enamels over that, and acrylic as topmost coat. It also helps that lacquers and enamels be dried for at least 2 days so that you prevent paint cracking over the topmost coat or clearcoat. Personally, I prefer to use Tamiya primers or Gunze surfacers for the bottom/initial coat so that the later color coats will adhere. One more thing, also wash the plastic with dishwashing soap before painting to remove molding agents. his will ensure proper adhesion of all paint coats.

TIP: A good clear gloss coat is Pledge's Future floor polish which is acrylic based. I was lucky enough to buy a couple of bottles in a hardware store in ATC and these will last you through tens of models, if not a hundred per bottle.

The local version  of Future is Pledge Wipe and Shine.

Personally, I prefer Bosny top coats for overall convenience.

Not a Gundam modeler, unfortunately, but I do WWII German aircraft and jets in scales of 1/48 and above.

Kewl!  Are you a member of IPMS Manila?

pare if interested ka lang i have a friend sculpturer, kung gusto mgpagawa ng gundam made in kahoy pero shempre hindi movable parang statue type. medyo mahal lang

dito wala tayong argumento, business lang.

This is NOT arguing with you especially with your propensity to post off topic.  Please DO take note that the thread title is Gundam Kits and Mods

I hope that's clear.

New Manila Sound

Offline jpastorius

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
if i'm not mistaken its all about GUNDAM right?kits and mods preferably.
but what i'm askin you is somehow RELATED TO GUNDAM right? gundamn.
bait bait ng pagkakasabi ko mang aano ka na naman eh

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #257 on: October 15, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »
The local version  of Future is Pledge Wipe and Shine.

Stay away from that esp. if it's the milky colored one. The Future I got (clear colored) is what's usually recommended in FSM and you can airbrush it straight from the bottle. I was searching for this product locally for ages and I got lucky here in ATC - even my sis in NYC never heard of the product. I like how you can dip clear parts into Future and it removes scratches without need for polishing, plus it makes a great clear coat for decals, before and after application (it prevents silvering). Been unsuccessfully using various clear coats like Testors and Tamiya previously, but Future was like a godsend.

Not a member of IPMS, sorry. Don't have enough time to attend meets during weekends. I'm trying to get time just building the 100+ unbuilt kits in my 'collection' while a Trump Su-24 Fencer is calling to me like crazy. Been building these since I was 7 and the hobby just recently called to me after a long hiatus.

Sorry for the OT post. Carry on!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
if i'm not mistaken its all about GUNDAM right?kits and mods preferably.

No.  The Thread title SPECIFICALLY says Gundam Kits and mods.  We don't even discuss the Gundam Robot spirit toyline here, because THEY'RE NOT kits.

Also, you were recommending a "friend," who can probably do a Gundam sculpture.  I CAN do a Gundam sculpture with wood.  You don't see me posting posting that, do you?

but what i'm askin you is somehow RELATED TO GUNDAM right? gundamn.

Not to KITS AND MODS.  Okay?

bait bait ng pagkakasabi ko mang aano ka na naman eh

Like I said, I WASN'T ARGUING with you.  Since YOU personally are not even a collector, you have business here.  You posted that, just so you could post something.

Stay away from that esp. if it's the milky colored one. The Future I got (clear colored) is what's usually recommended in FSM and you can airbrush it straight from the bottle. I was searching for this product locally for ages and I got lucky here in ATC - even my sis in NYC never heard of the product. I like how you can dip clear parts into Future and it removes scratches without need for polishing, plus it makes a great clear coat for decals, before and after application (it prevents silvering). Been unsuccessfully using various clear coats like Testors and Tamiya previously, but Future was like a godsend.

I haven't used it so I wouldn't know, but, DC23 has been the clear one. 

Not a member of IPMS, sorry. Don't have enough time to attend meets during weekends. I'm trying to get time just building the 100+ unbuilt kits in my 'collection' while a Trump Su-24 Fencer is calling to me like crazy. Been building these since I was 7 and the hobby just recently called to me after a long hiatus.

Scale model kits are more laborious to build after all.

Sorry for the OT post. Carry on!

Not really OT, since we go refer to scale modeling techniques.

New Manila Sound

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #259 on: October 15, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »
lalagyan ko na lang ng epoxy yung gaps. and kung sisipagin ako paint na rin ^_^

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
I used to build airplane models, usually fighter planes. I stopped because I felt it was too boring. But Gundam in the other hand is very interesting. Maybe i'll try it. Any tips in painting a Gundam? I never painted before, even on the airplanes I used to build.

You guys inspired me with this beautiful creations. Thanks...
" I HEAR VOICES AND THEY DON'T LIKE YOU "

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »
My last build was an F-18 but then I discovered the art of scribing, resin parts and adding details. That extended my build time considerably leading to a LOT of suspended builds.

I'm not into contests, but when I finish my B-58 or even the B-1B (a huge kit at 3 feet long), I might seriously consider entering it. Used to be painting and weathering was a major concern, now we got techniques like filtering and preshading and that's gonna add more manhours.  :|

I wonder if I can translate my aircraft painting skills into a battered, battle-weary Gundam... tried building one for a nephew once, but it was strictly OOBE. Knowing how I build, I would go all OC trying to hide the seams.

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
The last plane I built was a F-14 Tomcat and that was way way back in high school, so thats a long time. I think with Gundams, there are a lot of options in terms of details and color but still, i'm no expert, I haven't even built one yet hehehe. Hopefully I can start specially now, I have a lot of spare time but I still have to travel to Manila to start. Hopefully some members can help me on how to paint it hehehe.

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
I like the Gundam Freedom, is it a good start??? Any suggestions???

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »
My last build was an F-18 but then I discovered the art of scribing, resin parts and adding details. That extended my build time considerably leading to a LOT of suspended builds.

Got a few of those as well.  I'm more into modifications, just to show how it's done.

I'm not into contests, but when I finish my B-58 or even the B-1B (a huge kit at 3 feet long), I might seriously consider entering it. Used to be painting and weathering was a major concern, now we got techniques like filtering and preshading and that's gonna add more manhours.  :|

I wonder if I can translate my aircraft painting skills into a battered, battle-weary Gundam... tried building one for a nephew once, but it was strictly OOBE. Knowing how I build, I would go all OC trying to hide the seams.

A lot of Gundam modelers do refer to scale modeling techniques, especially with weathering and dio building.  I might get into scale modeling again myself.

I don't like the Seed series too much, except for the Red Frame.  Kit-wise, the Freedom is as good a kit as any, but The Strike would be a better option.

New Manila Sound

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »
The Strike??? Why the Strike? I just want an idea why you suggested that specific model. Thanks for the suggestion by the way.

The Strike, is this the one???

Edited to add pics hehehe...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:15:29 PM by suspendead »

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
The Strike??? Why the Strike? I just want an idea why you suggested that specific model. Thanks for the suggestion by the way.

The Strike, is this the one???
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Aile_Strike_L.jpg

The Strike is deemed to be one of the well-proportioned MS in the Gundam series.  I do believe it looks good, objectively speaking, but I don't like it personally for some reason I can't fathom.  Don't get me wrong, I do get kits even if I don't like them, like the Unicorn, for example, mainly because I think I can do something else with them.

I'd probably get the Strike for a special build I'm planning.

If not, you can also try getting the MG Exia.  It's one of my favorite kits.

New Manila Sound

Offline omnicloud7

• Veteran Member
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »

I'm a SEED fan! I really liked Gundam SEED, though sobrang walang kwenta yung SEED DESTINY (parang season 2 ng SEED). HAHAHAH!

As such, I have many MGs from the SEED line. (magpopost rin siguro ako ng pics after some time) What I really admire about the SEED series are the proportions. All models from the line were designed by Hajime Katoki, para sakin siya talaga pinakamagaling na mag proportion sa mga MGs, all of the models he designs look sleek and sexy, hindi mukhang square and blocks/chubby. Pagdating sa MG engineering, 2004 pa yung Strike and Freedom, so yung engineering niya is what was best at that time (6 years ago). Regardless, maganda parin talaga yung SEED MGs! I say go for it.

I have the ff:
MG Strike
MG Freedom
MG Strike Freedom
MG Infinite Justice

Medyo mahahalata mo yung difference ng inner frame engineering nung mga models dahil sa tagal ng agwat nung pagkarelease ng mga ito. Yung Strike Freedom at Inf. Justice a few years back lang nirelease, sobrang ganda nung pagkakagawa sa kanila, makes you really admire the work done on these kits.

For reviews and all, check this site out www.dalong.net it's in another language pero madali lang intindihin dahil sa pictures. Rinereview niya mga good and bad points nung kits, like mobility, craftsmanship and such. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:03:11 PM by omnicloud7 »

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
I'm a SEED fan! I really liked Gundam SEED, though sobrang walang kwenta yung SEED DESTINY (parang season 2 ng SEED). HAHAHAH!

As such, I have many MGs from the SEED line. (magpopost rin siguro ako ng pics after some time) What I really admire about the SEED series are the proportions. All models from the line were designed by Hajime Katoki, para sakin siya talaga pinakamagaling na mag proportion sa mga MGs, all of the models he designs look sleek and sexy, hindi mukhang square and blocks/chubby. Pagdating sa MG engineering, 2004 pa yung Strike and Freedom, so yung engineering niya is what was best at that time (6 years ago). Regardless, maganda parin talaga yung SEED MGs! I say go for it.

I have the ff:
MG Strike
MG Freedom
MG Strike Freedom
MG Infinite Justice

Medyo mahahalata mo yung difference ng inner frame engineering nung mga models dahil sa tagal ng agwat nung pagkarelease ng mga ito. Yung Strike Freedom at Inf. Justice a few years back lang nirelease, sobrang ganda nung pagkakagawa sa kanila, makes you really admire the work done on these kits.

For reviews and all, check this site out www.dalong.net it's in another language pero madali lang intindihin dahil sa pictures. Rinereview niya mga good and bad points nung kits, like mobility, craftsmanship and such. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion man...

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
lalagyan ko na lang ng epoxy yung gaps. and kung sisipagin ako paint na rin ^_^

Nice work man! Stargazer to di ba? Will this be your BAKWC entry? Btw, Is there SD category in bakwc?
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
la ako idea bout bakwc eh,practice pa siguro ako para dun.
yep stargazer yan. dilemma ko pa mag sand ng legs nyan parang bato yung epoxy steel haha ang hirap isand.
eto na latest nyan, primed yung ibang parts ^_^
 :wink:
thanks  :mrgreen:

EDIT: forgot to attach the pic
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:22:41 PM by art_attack16 »

Offline omnicloud7

• Veteran Member
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »
Here are my MGs, all of them painted, panel-lined, decaled and flat topcoated. Puro Seed, as of now kasi, I've stopped from collecting Gunpla, focus muna sa gear.

MG Aile Strike

MG Freedom

MG Strike Freedom

MG Infinite Justice

And yeahp, you can guess, I'm a fan of Kira. :lol: I like how his suits have all these guns, but they're only used for disabling opponents. He never kills his foe! Got the MG IJ 'cos I also came to like Athrun's character too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:15:55 PM by omnicloud7 »

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
Here are my MGs, all of them painted, panel-lined, decaled and flat topcoated. Puro Seed, as of now kasi, I've stopped from collecting Gunpla, focus muna sa gear.

MG Aile Strike

MG Freedom

MG Strike Freedom

MG Infinite Justice

And yeahp, you can guess, I'm a fan of Kira. :lol: I like how his suits have all these guns, but they're only used for disabling opponents. He never kills his foe! Got the MG IJ 'cos I also came to like Athrun's character too.

Astig Man!!! Kakainggit hehehe. Hopefully soon I can start with my first Gundam kit.

By the way, I just want to ask if do you sand the parts you will be painting or you can just paint right away? First time painting a kit if ever hehehe...

Another question, is there by any chance that there are stores selling Gundam kits around Alabang area? Thanks...

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:49 PM »
Astig Man!!! Kakainggit hehehe. Hopefully soon I can start with my first Gundam kit.

By the way, I just want to ask if do you sand the parts you will be painting or you can just paint right away? First time painting a kit if ever hehehe...

Another question, is there by any chance that there are stores selling Gundam kits around Alabang area? Thanks...

There's Special Toy Center and Great Toys at Festival Mall and ATC (just not sure which is which).  There's also Gundam kits available at Toy Kingdom and Toys R Us.

As for painting, you don't really need to sand too much except the areas where the nubs are, and do prime the surface.  Sanding everything though, is a better practice.

New Manila Sound

Offline omnicloud7

• Veteran Member
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »

Thanks! It's been a really long while since I've acquired a new kit. Namiss ko nga eh when I took those shots, medyo kinailangan ko pa ibrush ng konti yung mga models kasi inaalikabok na. For me, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. After painting the kits, I sand down the joints and connectors. Kumakapal kasi sila, kaya paminsan humihigpit or hindi na sila perfect fit kapag ni-assemble mo na.

All my kits are from Festival Mall! May Great Toys sa Festi sa 2nd floor. Ok na ok dun! Madalas mag discount at mas mura sa kanila kesa sa mga Toy Kingdom/Toys'R'Us/Toy Town.

Sa Festi meron ding Special Toy Center, that's where I get my paints, topcoats(though after a while, I switched to Bosny Topcoats which can be bought at any ACE hardware stores) and panel markers. Nasa Festival talaga lahat ng kailangan mo para magstart mag Gunpla.

There's Special Toy Center and Great Toys at Festival Mall and ATC (just not sure which is which).  There's also Gundam kits available at Toy Kingdom and Toys R Us.

Negative, wala ng Gundams in ATC except for Toys'R'Us, which we all know overprices Gunplas. Yung Special Toy Center ng ATC napalitan na ng Aloha Boardshorts for quite some time already.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:58:58 PM by omnicloud7 »