hulika

Author Topic: How do you deal with noise?  (Read 10418 times)

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How do you deal with noise?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »
As always, good job ubersam!

Offline brainwashed12

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »
ako hanggang ngayon hindi ko pa rin malaman san nanggagaling ung ingay..may hiss eh...hay... yeah dapat nga sticky ito..helpful eh  :-D

Offline ikem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »
Dati ako nag DIY ng hi-fi amps and speakers.
Tip: Always keep the signal wires as short as possible at ilayo sa supply wires.
:mrgreen:

Sticky na to its!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:02:08 PM by ikem »
There's something money can't buy, but for anything else there's your credit card..

Offline brainwashed12

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »
nde ko alam san galing..either PSU or sa pedals eh..anyway..sticky!

Offline kayo2jp

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
good work sir! tnx :-) :-)
"life is a journey way back home"

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 07:36:38 PM »
this helped me. nice! :-D
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis

pepeng_bato123

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
sorry po kung me napadpad na [grape] dito di ko lang po maintindihan tong mga terminology nato:

Noise due to an improperly grounded amp:
Ground the amp properly.
(anu po ung ground?)

2. use mu-metal to shield the transformer or the sensitive device;
3. get a transformer with a smaller EMF, like a toroidal transformer.
(anu po ung mu-metal? tsaka pnung smaller EMF?)

Noise due to ground-loop:
(nkita ko po yung link, anu po un kelangan ko pang kalasin mga cable ko?)

at anu po ung pinag kaiba ng regulated sa unregulated? nakasulat ba to sa mga power supply pag binili mo? at anu advantage and disadvantage nila?

at ung anti static paint, or anti ekek merun kasi ganito dad ko san po kaya pwdeng ilagay to?

Tip: Always keep the signal wires as short as possible at ilayo sa supply wires.
(anu po tong mga to? at anu pinag kaiba nila sa isat isa?)

and how do i know if the cable is shielded?

sorry po madaming tanung, di ko po alam, pero binabasa ko na po sila, kaso mas madaming nabulagang terminologies sakin e, sana po me me mag elaborate salamat po

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
let me add that it also helps pag maganda yung cables nyo.

better cables let more of your signal through. they also have lower capacitance, which allow more high frequencies to pass through. as a consequence, your guitar sounds louder and brighter in most cases, forcing you to turn down the treble in your setup. this will reduce hiss and noise.

YMMV. btw hindi mo naman kelangan ng super mahal na cables like vovox, two-rock or van den hul to actually hear a difference. sometimes an upgrade to planet waves or dimarzio from your generic JB or RJ cables is enough. pag kulang ang funds, start with the cable between your guitar and your first pedal. :wink:
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
up for this very good reading reference. :-)

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
hi guys,

need a little help here:

MXR distortion plus clone:

I am posting this to ask for advice from DIY stompbox builders on how to remove that humming/noise. I have used the project file from general guitar gadgets and basically bought the components from our local electronics stores here in manila and built everything myself. i even used shielded wires and grounded the shielding.

it's all running now except that noise. ive benchmarked the amp settings using my behringer UM300 so i know its not the amp settings.

hope you can send in advice soon so i can finalize the assembly on the casing.
below is the link to my project build. thanks.

trust is a two-way street.
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=261676.msg3569829#msg3569829
work w/: boomboom, kul

Offline raidow

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »
nice... new lessons learned..  :-D
aria mac-gothic>>pitchblack>>NG100>>Shredhead>>DD3>>PH3>>Laney LX65r

Offline deewantoy_11

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
Mga bro., paano mag shield ng gitara na walang pick guard.?,

Offline ikem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
hi guys,

need a little help here:

MXR distortion plus clone:

I am posting this to ask for advice from DIY stompbox builders on how to remove that humming/noise. I have used the project file from general guitar gadgets and basically bought the components from our local electronics stores here in manila and built everything myself. i even used shielded wires and grounded the shielding.

it's all running now except that noise. ive benchmarked the amp settings using my behringer UM300 so i know its not the amp settings.

hope you can send in advice soon so i can finalize the assembly on the casing.
below is the link to my project build. thanks.

Yung signal cable mo nakapatong sa PCB. Try mo ilayo. Kung hindi pa rin nawala, hanggan dun na lang talaga yan yung design ng circuit. Besides, distortion yan dahil ang mga distortion ay high gain, pati noise na amplify. Ang target natin ay maminimize yung noise na napipick-up.
There's something money can't buy, but for anything else there's your credit card..

Offline ikem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
sorry po kung me napadpad na [grape] dito di ko lang po maintindihan tong mga terminology nato:

Noise due to an improperly grounded amp:
Ground the amp properly.
(anu po ung ground?)

2. use mu-metal to shield the transformer or the sensitive device;
3. get a transformer with a smaller EMF, like a toroidal transformer.
(anu po ung mu-metal? tsaka pnung smaller EMF?)

Noise due to ground-loop:
(nkita ko po yung link, anu po un kelangan ko pang kalasin mga cable ko?)

at anu po ung pinag kaiba ng regulated sa unregulated? nakasulat ba to sa mga power supply pag binili mo? at anu advantage and disadvantage nila?

at ung anti static paint, or anti ekek merun kasi ganito dad ko san po kaya pwdeng ilagay to?

(anu po tong mga to? at anu pinag kaiba nila sa isat isa?)

and how do i know if the cable is shielded?

sorry po madaming tanung, di ko po alam, pero binabasa ko na po sila, kaso mas madaming nabulagang terminologies sakin e, sana po me me mag elaborate salamat po

Nose bleed na ba?hehe.Googles is you friend pre. Mahaba-habang explanation kasi yan pag dito pinost
For now sundin mo na lang instruction ni Sir ubersam

Offline davinsh

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »
sirs, how will i know the cause of noise... for example in my case, I can't figure out what's the cause of noise in cheap gears.. I'm using grg121 (all stock,4 mos old) direct to my practice amp (Laney LX12, 3 mos old) using the cable that comes with the guitar.. I recently having problem with the noise cam out of it, and I don't know the cause.. I wish it's just the cable.. :x
My song will continuously play until my spotlights blast...\\m/

Offline siontok

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 08:38:24 AM »
Sir, how do you "properly ground" the amplifier, or the is it the guitar?

thanks.

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 10:18:10 AM »
Sir, how do you "properly ground" the amplifier, or the is it the guitar?

thanks.

if you have the luxury of opening up a guitar amp, all the grounds must be connected. grounds connecting to only one point is not really that necessary, but you must ground all points that need grounding. avoid ground loops.

kung hindi mo naman binuksan, check mo yung plugs. dapat yung isang pin ng plug e nakasuksok sa 0volts ng outlet. i read sometime that this is because supply electricity to our homes has a phase.

kung ayaw pa din, sometimes tying a wire around the jacks (that plug into the amp) and connecting it to ground/Earth (lupa, semento, etc.) helps a lot. yung ibang maarte ayaw nito (papangit daw itsura), pero if this serves the purpose well, why not?

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »
and one more thing: go easy with the Dist/Drive/Fuzz/Dirt knob on your pedals. the result is attenuated noise and clarity of course. pero shempre hindi ito ang pinakasagot sa lahat ng prob sa noise.