hulika

Author Topic: Active Pickups for non-metal/hard rock applications  (Read 1712 times)

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
Active Pickups for non-metal/hard rock applications
« on: July 09, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »
Is it worth it to upgrade to active pickups kung ang tugtugan ang kelangan sa tugtugan ay clean and/or slightly distorted tones lang? Kunyari Jazz, Blues, RnB etc.

or passive pickups will do the trick?
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Active Pickups for non-metal/hard rock applications
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »
Is it worth it to upgrade to active pickups kung ang tugtugan ang kelangan sa tugtugan ay clean and/or slightly distorted tones lang? Kunyari Jazz, Blues, RnB etc.

or passive pickups will do the trick?

If you are doing this, try the Fluence Classic. It can do two voicings (PAF/Hot Rodded), split sound, and some models have a voice 3 that is a true single coil sound. They are very quiet and sound absolutely alive. Active pickups can give you  a crystal clear sound that is hifi or crisp sounding. And you dont have to worry about noise gates or cable length degrading your signal.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:23 PM »
Napanuod ko yung Fluence Open Core demo. [apple] 3 voices (PAF, Hot Rodded PAF at Split Coil). Very tempting!!!!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
Personally, I'd stick with passives for such applications. Sa dami ng options available from different brands/makers ng passive pickups, it's impossible not to find one that will suit what you're looking for, as opposed sa actives na iilan lang ang choices.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:47:49 PM »
Personally, I'd stick with passives for such applications. Sa dami ng options available from different brands/makers ng passive pickups, it's impossible not to find one that will suit what you're looking for, as opposed sa actives na iilan lang ang choices.

after installing fluence pickups, feeling ko sila lang yung viable at may grasp sa tones besides metal. if you are a metalhead and is after the classic 81 sound, may emg para diyan. pero yung mid gain, PAF, or true single coil tones, fluence lang talaga yung may kaya. not even duncan's duality or yung retroactive ng emg could compete with the fluence classic set. tunog seth lover yung isang voice e. and the technology is truly unique. no wires. just PCB printed and stacked kaya virtually zero noise. and wala yung limitation ng winding. you can have an overwound sound pero brilliant at klaro pa rin ang high end.

but to wit, hindi lahat ng tao gusto yung ganong pagka klaro. most will still go for a vintage-y passive sound na hindi ganoon ka hi-fi.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:28 AM »
after installing fluence pickups, feeling ko sila lang yung viable at may grasp sa tones besides metal. if you are a metalhead and is after the classic 81 sound, may emg para diyan. pero yung mid gain, PAF, or true single coil tones, fluence lang talaga yung may kaya. not even duncan's duality or yung retroactive ng emg could compete with the fluence classic set. tunog seth lover yung isang voice e. and the technology is truly unique. no wires. just PCB printed and stacked kaya virtually zero noise. and wala yung limitation ng winding. you can have an overwound sound pero brilliant at klaro pa rin ang high end.

but to wit, hindi lahat ng tao gusto yung ganong pagka klaro. most will still go for a vintage-y passive sound na hindi ganoon ka hi-fi.

On a side note, yung presyo ng Fluence is "boutique handwound" level na. Kung medyo purist ako and I have as much money to burn, I'd be more inclined to look at BareKnuckle, Wolfetone, Lollar, WCR.... maybe Throbak and Rolph too if I can go the extra mile.

Not looking down on Fishman Fluence pickups in any way, I'm all for innovation and technology, and I think their designs are amazing. I'm actually glad they were brave enough to do a take on a classic given that most actives (if not all) are leaning towards a more modern sound. More options, more fun - consumers win. Tried a set briefly on a friend's ESP, although I believe it was the modern version, and it was a pleasant experience.

Siguro mas purist lang ako in choosing the passives for old school stuff, kesa sa actives trying to emulate the old. I agree about the hi-fi thing with active pickups. :wave:

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:27 AM »
Yeah you are right with the price, mahal siya compared sa SD at EMG. And choices are pretty limited with those 3 companies. Wala naman ibang gumagawa ng active na ok. Malakas din sa battery. 100 hours compared sa 1000 hours ng emg.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Thanks for the inputs folks!

Yung pagka "hi-fi" nung mga active pickups...can you tame it by using equalization ng amp or the tone knob? Like rolling off some high frequencies ng tele bridge pickup? Does it work that way?

or i'm just contradicting myself at mag passive pickups na lng ako?!? haha

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 02:54:48 AM »
Thanks for the inputs folks!

Yung pagka "hi-fi" nung mga active pickups...can you tame it by using equalization ng amp or the tone knob? Like rolling off some high frequencies ng tele bridge pickup? Does it work that way?

or i'm just contradicting myself at mag passive pickups na lng ako?!? haha

yung fishman fluence may hf tilt feature. tames that hifi sound. emg may active eq shift knob. sd actives are pretty tame in the high end.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:34:07 PM »
Its not the tone that pushes me away from actives; its the hassle of batteries. The effort-benefit equation doesn't appeal to me in the same way that say the hassle of setting up a pedalboard yields such great returns.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
Changing a battery just takes 3-5 minutes and it will last you months. You can change batteries on every 3rd string change. No hassle at all. My Fluence set is rechargeable and it lasts me 4 months.

Offline nitroaurora

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »
Tuck Andress nka-active pup...  :)
Successful transactions with: Ryan Peralta, MarkV, Geloboy25, Teleclem, Tristan, Dhe (Dwelo_Axeman from PGT), Nickson, Jhule77, Robinissad, Zyehj, Roei03, Anyrandomhole, J3tayag, Samishellacool