hulika

Author Topic: Remember Mere Mercy? And other 80's pinoy bands.  (Read 15062 times)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Remember Mere Mercy? And other 80's pinoy bands.
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:11:59 AM »

They were the 1st band way back in 1987 that I saw covering Metallica, The Cult, and Sisters of Mercy. Well most younger people nowadays were probably not even born yet when they were covering Metallica and The Cult. I was browsing google when I stumbled upon these photo's. The members were MARCO KENNETH HERRERA / NEIL GREGORIO / ALEX DEMOCRACY / SIEG DE LA TORRE(1984) / BECK San Miguel(1984) / GARY MARTINEZ(1984) / RONALD QUIMIO (1985).

I'm not so sure if they are still around as a band but the MySpace site shows it is but the music has evolved to industrial and techno. But we gotta give credit for these guys for influencing heavy metal for the 90's generation Pinoy rockers. The guitar player Neil was the producer for Wolfgangs debut album. I worked before under the same label more than 10 years ago but unfortunately I was not able to work with him side by side since he moved to another label that time. But I do have a good friend who was also part of this band, Bec. I still remember my band had a gig back then at Bayview Hotel and Mere mercy was the spotlight of that show.

If any of the members of this band is by any chance a Philmusic forumer, I salute you guys for influencing the metal generation of the 90s!

Some more pictures.........

A ticket, some of the bands included was Deans December (Binky Lampano) and Runaway Boys (eventually the vocalist became one of the pioneers of Pinoy rock Rizal Underground), check out the guy with the guitar, it's Teddy Diaz.

A ticket with Identity Crisis.

A rare picture of their gig.

Deans December, Introvoys, Temper of the Times (eventually this evolved to one of the heaviest metal bands during the 90's Dahong Palay)

The Dawn, Betrayed (Papa Dom days), After Image, Violent Playground, Advent Call (Roujen Liste times), Deans December.

Ethnic Faces, After Image (Francis reyes days)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:01:05 AM by stringman »
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline jdr1524

• Veteran Member
Re: Remember Mere Mercy? And other 80's pinoy bands.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:20:51 PM »
I Know NEIL and ALEX.Kasabay namin sila sa gig the famous ROCK AGAINST DRUGS ERA by DUKE OF CHARLES,if I'm not mistaken.My band name is WILD CHILD my first band.... 8-) :-D

Offline fendex

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Wow! Thanks for posting those tickets. Di ko na naaalala, nakatugtog pala kmi sa mga lugar na yan.
I was one of the founding members of Ardourn Delirium. Gitarista sir. Meron akong copy ng magazine na yan.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:56:42 PM by fendex »
"GOD  PROVIDES... Just trust Him"

Lastest transaction:  with JMorrero and Ramnem

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
Ikaw pala yun. Nalala ko nga it was a guy playing guitars for Adourn delirium.

Offline fendex

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
Ikaw pala yun. Nalala ko nga it was a guy playing guitars for Adourn delirium.

Original line up ng Ardourn Delirium is 5 boys lang (mga bata pa kmi noon)...we played the smiths, the cure, friends again, the cult etc... Nawala un vox namin so pumasok si Myra (Scarlet of Put3ska). We played siouxsie and the banshees and xmal deutschland. May mga originals na rin na na-feature sa Score Mag. Then pumalit si Monica Cobeng kay Myra. Tapos un na...nag evolved na kmi sa iba't ibang banda.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
It's really nice tracing the roots of the artists we have today. You're still playing in a band?

Offline fendex

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
It's really nice tracing the roots of the artists we have today. You're still playing in a band?
YUP!

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »
That's good to hear!

Offline fendex

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
That's good to hear!

anong band mo nun 80's and what band are you in right now?

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
Yung dating Strange Days vocalist si Butch nag tayo kami nang band dati mga 1988 yata yun name ng band was Pale Face nakasama namin sa Bayview ang Mere Mercy. Dami ko rin naging band pero mga hindi nag click. Dati ung HS nag banda kami nila Gerd Banzon (Freestyle). Nag open din ako Studio nung mid 90's and eventually naging recording engineer ako gumagawa kami ng commercial scores. Mid 90's din nag session ako sa mga small artists. Right now more of a hobby na lang.

Offline fendex

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
matagal ka na rin pla sa industriya.  :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:31:14 PM »
Onga, malamang di tayo nag kalayo sa edad he he he.............
Marami nag alok sa akin nang biyahe dati pero I wasn't focused on that direction. Ok nga yang biyahe niyo kasi you get to play old rock song for audiences that appreciate. May kaibigan din ako yung band nila MMC keyboardist siya minsan napapa dala rin sila sa mga US base.

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this stringman! :-)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
These were bands prior to the 90's bands that most forumers know. I saw some pictures of Ethnic Faces and posted in on their thtread.

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
Mere Mercy was one of the first Pinoy bands to cover Metallica. Although their signature song is a cover of the Sisters of Mercy's "Walk Away".

In a sense they were ahead of their time. Their mixture of Thrash and Goth gave hints of Black Metal and Goth Metal in popular in the 90s.

Alex Democracy's real surname incidentally was Patron.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline tuned

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
We used to gig with Mere Mercy , we even had a gig in baguio , stayed up all night after the gig and enjoyed spending some time with new friends . roamed session road , though we slept earlier than them . hehehe / randy khumbmela band /
Take it easy , but take it.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
We used to gig with Mere Mercy , we even had a gig in baguio , stayed up all night after the gig and enjoyed spending some time with new friends . roamed session road , though we slept earlier than them . hehehe / randy khumbmela band /

Hey Randy! Post some pictures of Khumbmela band in this thread. Is Andrew still singing?

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
Sorry to hear that! May his soul rest in peace.

Khumbmela band was also an influencial band during the 80's they did covers of Gene Loves Jezebel and also contributed some originals. Naalala ko main sponsor niyo was the Khumbmela bags.

Offline mahikawon666

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
mere mercy syempre!!! i here and watch them doing cover songs of metallica,the cult and sisters of mercy,by the ways nice SCORE magazine tagal na yan meron din ako nian dati,alam ko 3 issues lang yan,the dawn cover at c si cool karla ng identity cover at mere mercy bigla nalang nawala sa limelight ang score

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
Original line up ng Ardourn Delirium is 5 boys lang (mga bata pa kmi noon)...we played the smiths, the cure, friends again, the cult etc... Nawala un vox namin so pumasok si Myra (Scarlet of Put3ska). We played siouxsie and the banshees and xmal deutschland. May mga originals na rin na na-feature sa Score Mag. Then pumalit si Monica Cobeng kay Myra. Tapos un na...nag evolved na kmi sa iba't ibang banda.

Then sooner some of them became ALAMID.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline mahikawon666

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
[quote bhor=burnsbhm link=topic=188108.msg2636208#msg2636208 date=1277124112]
Then sooner some of them became ALAMID.
[/quote]hehehe nsan naba ang magandang c monica cobeng?

Offline G-Force

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
Of course Mere Mercy!! Who doesn't know them during the 80's? Idol yan esp. Alex "Hardhittin'" Democracy! Super influential sakin yan when I started playing drums for a band named Miraculous Void, then some sessions with Temper of the Times (ba yon?) (with G.P. of Color it Red on guitars) , then Advent Call (first gen. with TJ of Tropical Depression on keyboards and Rujen on vox)  :-)

Everytime I listen to The Cult's  King Contrary Man, I can still picture the first time I saw (and heard) Mere Mercy, esp. Alex's cymbal chokes.

Just love reminiscin' those days!... sad to hear though that Andrew went ahead already...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:51:14 PM by G-Force »

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
sarap basahin neto.. i listend to them way way back. sinasama ako sa gig ng mga utol ko. i remember they played with nursery rhymes, deans december & ethnic faces  :-)

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
Nakakhiyang sabihin pero totoo: napaghahalata mga edad natin! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!!!

Offline x_japan

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 05:01:29 AM »
Woah.. Just happen to pass by.. Small world para senyo.. Maybe this could happen to me too after  a couple of years.. Forever young, brothers!!!... Btw im 21 yrs old..

Musica - Social Network for Filipino Musicians - http://18.143.72.50/