hulika

Author Topic: My SIOCHI 2x12 cab ALA Marshall 1936 (PICS inside)  (Read 32080 times)

Offline philaxeman

Re: My SIOCHI 2x12 cab ALA Marshall 1936 (PICS inside)
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »

Marine Ply?  I don't know of any good sounding cabinet made of Marine Ply. And I am not too sure that it will outlast us.

I believe this one is made of marine ply.
http://www.customguitargear.com/hiwatt-4x12-fane.html

Marine ply has been used by many DIYers and cab makers.
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/cons_cabinets.html

And I am not too sure that it will outlast us.

Maybe or maybe not.
Marine ply is used for heavy-duty purposes such as for docks, boats surface, kitchen cabinet, etc where they will exposed to high-moisture environment and resistant to warping, cracking, etc.

The characteristic of a marine ply that lend itself to speaker cab is that it's non-resonant. It should let the speakers shine and not add coloration as much as possible.

But given the oppportunity, I would like to try birch ply which is hard to get locally.

But what the heck, I enjoy blasting my cab right now.
It sounds good too when I hooked my mp3 player to the RETURN jack of my amplifier. (for the speakers to break-in quickly)

"Doing a Bend without makin' a Face..... Is like Eatin' Food without Tastin' it" - Paul Gilbert

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
1) If you check the Hiwatt website it specifies birch as its marine ply on its cabinet.
2) If you read thru your link it says "There is a grade called marine plywood, which is usually hardwood based", so which HARDWOOD is your marine plywood glued from?
3) Based on my two cents, his joints are not the best made and as you said copied from a marshall -- so I cannot blame him there.  Also, the glue he uses is not like some of the newer and specialized epoxy glues that do not vibrate.  

But then again you had the cabinet made so ...  its just my opinion and I cannot blame him for the restrictions & limitations.  I think that a more experienced and honest builder would have waited to get the correct plywood.  

On another point, I have heard and own cabinets made of pine THAT RESONATE and are great sounding so, I am not too sure that a non responsive cabinet is what you need.  Maybe for HIFI but for Guitar in which you are after COLORED sounds, marble or cement is hardly what you call desirable. 

P.S. I have two great sounding cabinets that are made from Birch Ply, which believe it or not have to be selected because not all birch ply sound good for Guitar cabinets.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:17:33 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline superbuni123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:17 PM »

:roll:
Learning to be a man without losing the boy in me...

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »
whats the use of a good sounding cab if you cant play??... nuf said :-D :-D :-D..
@philaxeman your cab looks great i bet with good drivers maganda lalabas na sound jan
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline philaxeman

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
The cab may not made from the best plywood, finest materials, etc. but I like what I am hearing, and I'm HAPPY with it. I guess that is what important. And it did not cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm just a bedroom rocker and occasionally jam with friends. (2x12 still to loud for the room. HEHEHE)
And when you're in a third world country, there are more important things in life to consider.

"Doing a Bend without makin' a Face..... Is like Eatin' Food without Tastin' it" - Paul Gilbert

Offline dalandan

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »
The cab may not made from the best plywood, finest materials, etc. but I like what I am hearing, and I'm HAPPY with it. I guess that is what important. And it did not cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm just a bedroom rocker and occasionally jam with friends. (2x12 still to loud for the room. HEHEHE)
And when you're in a third world country, there are more important things in life to consider.

acutally...

I've heard several marine ply cabs and amps sound excellent. I've also heard baltic birch cabinets sound excellent. From what I've seen though, over time, the birch cabinets that were imported to the Philippines from decades ago didn't fare well with time. Quite possibly due to the climate here. FWIW, George also makes pine cabs if that's what tickles your fancy. I also like listening to an amp rather than reading on it or looking it up on the web.  :-)

let me qualify my statement about marine ply's durability. This is from a website that deals specifically with marine and birch ply.

http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/baltic-birch-plywood.html

vs

http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/marine-plywood.html

and here's the homepage with an interesting line on marine ply: http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/

marine grade plywood are designed to withstand rot and use a water resistant phenol-resorcinol glue to prevent delamination and retain strength in high humidity

as fas as i know, the Philippines (unlike most european and north american countries where we all base what's "good" from) has high humidity (http://www.mapsofworld.com/referrals/weather/world-weather/weather-philippines.html, 2010). Marine ply, therefore, seems to be more suitable for this climate. Marine ply is non-resonant (at least close to it!  :-) ) which, as any audiophile would know, is an important characteristic for sound reproduction as opposed to sound coloration. some builders don't want the wood to alter the tone coming from your speakers. baltic birch is similar to marine ply in this regard but there seems to be a slight difference with price and durability. pine, on the other hand, is a soft wood that is used in cabinets to achieve a certain sound - that wood resonates more. I've heard a pine cabinet that suits its amp very well. It's also made by George. He won't sell it to me though.  :-( If a speaker cabinet were too resonant, you'd be losing and adding certain frequencies in the process.  it's not better sound-wise, just different. which is my main point.

as can be read in the article, baltic birch is not as durable as marine ply for use outside (who knows, maybe i want to play in outdoor festivals one day and with the rate our weather is going - being "inside" unless air-conditioned is pretty much as humid as outside). marine ply is also generally more expensive. but, since it is native to the Philippines, prices may be lower. I can't verify this as I don't purchase wood on a regular basis. but, online dealers generally price their marine ply higher partly due to its increased durability. (See http://www.westwindhardwood.com/price_cabinet.php and http://www.westwindhardwood.com/price_marine_ply.php).

So, for the record, I am saying that marine ply is a good equivalent to baltic birch given the climate it's used in. Experts in the use of marine ply claim that with proper maintenance, BOATS (bear in mind, boats are exposed to water directly) that use marine ply can, in fact, last longer than we do (average life span of a human being anywhere around the world as of 2010 is estimated at 67.2 years give or take a few). Subjectivity of tone aside and getting to the topic on hand, speaker cabinet builders generally have mixed opinions on what wood to use for their cabs. Frankly, the use of marine ply vs birch ply is a small concern of mine but if it's any issue, a quick read on the web will show that birch is the more commonly used wood but marine's use is not frowned upon in general even by most gear "aficionados" and more importantly by expert speaker cabinet makers. I'm just glad my Siochi Cab, and the one of Philaxeman is made with top quality materials and constructed with high attention to detail.

Of course, my initial statement (outlast us, etc.) was meant to be an exaggeration to highlight the quality of the build (e.g. "ang galing mo naman tumugtog, da best ka!") and if interpreted literally - well...  :-)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:29:09 PM by dalandan »

Offline bloody dok

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »
wow! ganda sir a! saan ba place ni sir siochi? pa-pm na rin sir how much inabot ng cab mo at ask ko na rin saan ka nakakuha ng Celestion G12T-75 speakers. thanks!

be nice...

Offline brown

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
papagawa na kami dalawa!
he who hesitates, masterb@#$!

Offline st_anger

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »
nice amp sir philaxeman.... truly a worldclass in my opinion.... good job sir george... nice craftsmanship...

Offline st_anger

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »

i agree

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 10:54:40 PM »
whats the use of a good sounding cab if you cant play??... nuf said :-D :-D :-D..

lol! ouch!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:52:47 PM by alvinratsim »
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »
Actually, this was the best part:

I also like listening to an amp rather than reading on it or looking it up on the web.  :-)

:-D

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 11:01:34 PM »
This looks really promising.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 06:06:56 AM »
@philaxeman your cab looks great i bet with good drivers maganda lalabas na sound jan

Can you play any better?  I think I have the same drivers and really the cabinet and the wood used is as important as the drivers.  This is the reason why some of those who can and cannot play but can hear order our cabinets abroad. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 06:13:31 AM »

Philaxeman, why don't you drop by and compare?  Its easy for a lot of us to say it sounds better when there is no comparison.  At first I was also skeptical because I thought cabinets were just that.  And I tried and bought marshall, orange, peavey cabinets, etc.  Until two of my trusted dealer friends in the United States turned me onto the cabs I am using now.  They were not even dealers or selling the product.  So what makes the good sounding cabinets special?  Wood selection -- which was pointed out to me also applied to birch ply.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:45 AM »
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »
cab shootout for comparison. astig ito.

Offline jimny

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 06:21:10 AM »
Cab shoot out????     Turi sama ako ha!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:25:18 AM by jimny »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 06:28:04 AM »

acutally...

I've heard several marine ply cabs and amps sound excellent. I've also heard baltic birch cabinets sound excellent. From what I've seen though, over time, the birch cabinets that were imported to the Philippines from decades ago didn't fare well with time. Quite possibly due to the climate here. FWIW, George also makes pine cabs if that's what tickles your fancy. I also like listening to an amp rather than reading on it or looking it up on the web.  :-)

(Over the weekend a couple of friends of mine were testing an amp thru a late sixties Marshall 4x12 which sounds great and has fared well over time in Manila.  I have also seen some old 70s Branded Cabinets made of birch that are in good condition.)

let me qualify my statement about marine ply's durability. This is from a website that deals specifically with marine and birch ply.

http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/baltic-birch-plywood.html

vs

http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/marine-plywood.html

and here's the homepage with an interesting line on marine ply: http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/

marine grade plywood are designed to withstand rot and use a water resistant phenol-resorcinol glue to prevent delamination and retain strength in high humidity

as fas as i know, the Philippines (unlike most european and north american countries where we all base what's "good" from) has high humidity (http://www.mapsofworld.com/referrals/weather/world-weather/weather-philippines.html, 2010). Marine ply, therefore, seems to be more suitable for this climate. Marine ply is non-resonant (at least close to it!  :-) ) which, as any audiophile would know, is an important characteristic for sound reproduction as opposed to sound coloration. some builders don't want the wood to alter the tone coming from your speakers. baltic birch is similar to marine ply in this regard but there seems to be a slight difference with price and durability. pine, on the other hand, is a soft wood that is used in cabinets to achieve a certain sound - that wood resonates more. I've heard a pine cabinet that suits its amp very well. It's also made by George. He won't sell it to me though.  :-( If a speaker cabinet were too resonant, you'd be losing and adding certain frequencies in the process.  it's not better sound-wise, just different. which is my main point.

(As far as durability, I really cannot say anything on that but as I pointed out Marine Ply will NOT sound as good as well selected birch ply -- which is the point I was trying to make.)

(A lot of what you say is very theoretical and the fact is nobody uses marine ply in hifi.  And unfortunately whether you like it or not, the good sounding cabinets add color to guitar whether pine or birch ply.  For guitar playing its about sound coloration.  And there are cabinets that sound better made from birch ply and pine  -- which still has to be selected -- and rather none from marine ply.)

as can be read in the article, baltic birch is not as durable as marine ply for use outside (who knows, maybe i want to play in outdoor festivals one day and with the rate our weather is going - being "inside" unless air-conditioned is pretty much as humid as outside). marine ply is also generally more expensive. but, since it is native to the Philippines, prices may be lower. I can't verify this as I don't purchase wood on a regular basis. but, online dealers generally price their marine ply higher partly due to its increased durability. (See http://www.westwindhardwood.com/price_cabinet.php and http://www.westwindhardwood.com/price_marine_ply.php).

So, for the record, I am saying that marine ply is a good equivalent to baltic birch given the climate it's used in. Experts in the use of marine ply claim that with proper maintenance, BOATS (bear in mind, boats are exposed to water directly) that use marine ply can, in fact, last longer than we do (average life span of a human being anywhere around the world as of 2010 is estimated at 67.2 years give or take a few). Subjectivity of tone aside and getting to the topic on hand, speaker cabinet builders generally have mixed opinions on what wood to use for their cabs. Frankly, the use of marine ply vs birch ply is a small concern of mine but if it's any issue, a quick read on the web will show that birch is the more commonly used wood but marine's use is not frowned upon in general even by most gear "aficionados" and more importantly by expert speaker cabinet makers. I'm just glad my Siochi Cab, and the one of Philaxeman is made with top quality materials and constructed with high attention to detail.

(I really don't know who your expert cabinet makers are... who are they?)

Of course, my initial statement (outlast us, etc.) was meant to be an exaggeration to highlight the quality of the build (e.g. "ang galing mo naman tumugtog, da best ka!") and if interpreted literally - well...  :-)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »
cab shootout for comparison. astig ito.

Hindi naman iyun ang intent.  I think its important for the guy to bring his valvestate and his own guitar to compare.  So, its an individual thing for him to do himself on his setup.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 06:34:53 AM »
Hindi naman iyun ang intent.  I think its important for the guy to bring his valvestate and his own guitar to compare.  So, its an individual thing for him to do himself on his setup.

Oh. I was actually suggesting it. Id' love to hear and compare different cabs. Cheaper than buying them first and trying them just to find out. lol.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »
Oh. I was actually suggesting it. Id' love to hear and compare different cabs. Cheaper than buying them first and trying them just to find out. lol.

Oh for you its different... you have to take the risk like all of us because YOU LOVE GEAR. heh heh.  So NO hearing for you.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »
@ts

what matters is that you are happy with your cab :-D
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
Nice. What speakers are you putting in?

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »
Can you play any better?  I think I have the same drivers and really the cabinet and the wood used is as important as the drivers.  This is the reason why some of those who can and cannot play but can hear order our cabinets abroad. 

di ako magaling pero compare sayo up ako ng ilang level( sa pag bend plang ng string ) yung guitar ko lang walang rotating effect yun lang lamang mo pero diko kailangan nun :-D :-D :-D :-D
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER