hulika

Author Topic: most over-rated gear  (Read 31653 times)

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2006, 01:34:14 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Stratman1,

Have you tried the Herbert?  How long has it been with you...

I believe there are more overrated NON boutique gear than there are overrated boutique gear.

The only reason some people think there are more overrated boutique gear is because most of the time they can only afford one or two.  People tend to lick their wounds because thats all they can afford so most of the time they have to console themselves with what they own.  As far as I am concerned, if your whole chain is made of the best gear in the world -- unfortunately most of them are expensive -- it is a magical experience.  Based on the track record of the so called boutique gear I have been hearing, its a 80% success rate.  By the way, if you dont hear it 8 out of 10 times for boutique stuff, the other parts of your signal chain is surely below the 8 out of 10 times good sounding benchmark.

By the way, I am loosely defining boutique gear as expensive -- waymore so than what people would pay for commercially available accepted brands with endorsements.

Oasgomez,

Somehow I knew your gonna say something about my post, hehe. Don't be so sensitive. Take a chill pill, hehe :lol: I didn't say anything bad about the Herbie. So relax and enjoy this thread  

I love hi quality gears same as alot of people here. I agree with you about the good quality of a hi end amp. Hey, you get what you paid for, right? I don't think all boutique gears are overrated. I think the Herbie is. Now that's just my opinion :wink: . Others, like you, will say otherwise. That's fair. To each his own. I like the Herbie... I just don't see the point in paying over inflated price when I can get the sound that I want from a less expensive amp. That's just me.

I can afford to buy more than 2 amps  :shock: and I still think Herbie is overrated for my taste. I minimize my amp quantity not because I can't afford more amps but because I have no reason to have them. I play my amp out on gigs and not collect them. If something is not being used for a long time than why keep it?

Oh... BTW... to answer your question. Yes, I tried the Herbert (Geetargeek79's) for approx 3 hours and played other Herbies in different stores countless of times as well as other boutique amps. I still say that Herbert is overrated. O:)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 01:35:54 PM »
Yep. You change 3 capacitors in a Metalzone to give it a booming, exploding bass sound and expand the EQ range.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 01:48:04 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
Quote from: pallas
mesa boogie, never found one that i liked :(

they are quite temperamental. i feel the same way about Fenders and Marshalls. For me, the best sounding Fender amps are the Vibro King, the Twin, and the Deville 2x10s. Their prices have been pretty consistent and they do what they do - they sound clean. Mesa's are different because they are like Marshall's in some ways, and Fenders in others so, to really get a good Boogie, you can't escape trying every single one you can get your hands on. Lord knows, I tried everything Boogie made at the time I bought mine and I ended up going with 3 discontinued models because I thought they sounded like "that" sound in my head.

Funny thing today. I was at sam ash killing time (as usuall, hehe) when I saw this Twin for $500. I was thinking of buying it so I asked the salesguy to try it out. The guys said, "sure". Picked up a Gibby LP and a cable. Turned on the amp. Plugged the Gibby and played the amp. Nice sweet sound. I really wanted this amp now. 5 minutes through the try-out I smell something burning. I looked at the amp and I see smoke coming from the back. I go to the salesguy and said, "dude, your amp is smoking... literally". The salesguy hurriedly turned the amp off and said, "well, I guess it's not for sale anymore". Damn!!! I was ready to pull my card out. Oh, well :lol:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2006, 01:53:47 PM »
Quote from: jack in a vox
ROB.. sapol! :lol:

Aray! :lol:

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »
Quote from: stratman1
I go to the salesguy and said, "dude, your amp is smoking... literally". The salesguy hurriedly turned the amp off and said, "well, I guess it's not for sale anymore". Damn!!! I was ready to pull my card out. Oh, well

hahaha ayos.. kung nag kataon sayang..may money back guarantee pa ba pag ganun ?
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »
Yeah, 30 days, I think. Not sure about used gears, though.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »
"dude, your amp is smoking... literally"

:lol:  :lol:
Surf's Up!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »
Sayang ano. That would be a nice "my amp will smoke your amp" kinda thing lololol.

Peace po !

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2006, 02:51:39 PM »
Oo nga. Electrying pa siguro, hehe :lol:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2006, 03:10:15 PM »
Funny thing today. I was at sam ash killing time (as usuall, hehe) when I saw this Twin for $500. I was thinking of buying it so I asked the salesguy to try it out. The guys said, "sure". Picked up a Gibby LP and a cable. Turned on the amp. Plugged the Gibby and played the amp. Nice sweet sound. I really wanted this amp now. 5 minutes through the try-out I smell something burning. I looked at the amp and I see smoke coming from the back. I go to the salesguy and said, "dude, your amp is smoking... literally". The salesguy hurriedly turned the amp off and said, "well, I guess it's not for sale anymore". Damn!!! I was ready to pull my card out. Oh, well :lol:

stratman1 - sana tinanong mo kung magkano na nila ibebenta kung umusok na!  

this reminds me of my dad's long running practical joke. pag may nagbebenta ng balut sa kalya, tatawagin nya...

Dad: Magkano sa balot?

Magbabalut: Seben-pipti lang po.

Dad: Eh kung basag?

Magbabalut: Three-pipti, na lang po

Dad: O sige, ipagbasag mo nga ako ng apat.

:lol:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

stratman1 - sana tinanong mo kung magkano na nila ibebenta kung umusok na!  

this reminds me of my dad's long running practical joke. pag may nagbebenta ng balut sa kalya, tatawagin nya...

Dad: Magkano sa balot?

Magbabalut: Seben-pipti lang po.

Dad: Eh kung basag?

Magbabalut: Three-pipti, na lang po

Dad: O sige, ipagbasag mo nga ako ng apat.

:lol:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »
Dumble amps
(But I want one ) :lol:

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2006, 05:00:44 PM »
Quote from: cumbersome
I would have to say a lot of the vintage stuff. While some of them may really have that oh-so-elusive vibe, i'd much rather go for a new one with all the refinements of experience and modern technology for the fraction of the cost, as opposed to something that is, simply put, old. Hehehe.

i think so too... though i think pre-cbs fenders would be pretty cool to have, i'd raher have a couple of new us strats and teles and maybe a p bass too for literally a fraction of the cost..

why pay so much for a beat up old guitar?.. sana kung mint cond talaga, (But that would be very rare)..  
I buy to play, not to display..  :D

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »
Quote from: vaisteen2003

i dont know but with all the people ranting over a DS1 i figure im gonna get myeslf one and i did, i even got a new one from the states but when i got home and try in on (figuratively) uhm it wasnt what i was expecting it to be. haaay.

now i have a KORG 1500G and im happy with it. Super happy.

i have an MIJ DS-1 and AX1500G. i wouldn't say the DS-1 is overrated. it just does what it does.

SD-1 = overrated
PRS = overrated

MT-2 = absolute POS!!!!
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2006, 05:14:39 PM »
+1 on MIA fenders.

i have yet to play a strat who can beat my MIA std in its price category.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2006, 05:19:56 PM »
Quote from: fretburner

i dont know but with all the people ranting over a DS1 i figure im gonna get myeslf one and i did, i even got a new one from the states but when i got home and try in on (figuratively) uhm it wasnt what i was expecting it to be. haaay.

i have an MIJ DS-1 and AX1500G. i wouldn't say the DS-1 is overrated. it just does what it does.

SD-1 = overrated
PRS = overrated

MT-2 = absolute POS!!!!

The SD-1 and MT-2 are real fixer-uppers when stock.

PRS...well...+1. But I guess you'd buy it for different reasons than your average strat or LP. The high end ones are real pieces of art that you'd rather put in a glass case rather than play.

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2006, 05:21:41 PM »
+1 on MIA fenders.

me too..  :D

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
most over-rated gear
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Dumble amps
(But I want one ) :lol:

hush... hehehe
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2006, 05:29:23 PM »
Quote from: BAMF

i've tried a zakk wylde OD, which is supposed to be a modded (hotrodded) SD-1 and still wasn't impressed. maybe i need a jcm800 to get it's full potential, not a palomino... oh well...

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2006, 06:10:36 PM »
+1 on MIA fenders.

+1. :)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »

i've tried a zakk wylde OD, which is supposed to be a modded (hotrodded) SD-1 and still wasn't impressed. maybe i need a jcm800 to get it's full potential, not a palomino... oh well...

:D. Not sure what would please you but this modded SD-1 soundclip does sound real sweet to me.

It's Brian Wampler's chocolate mod. And as the name implies, it's dark, smooth, creamy and sweet.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2006, 06:32:06 PM »
Or if you want something with a little more of an edge, albeit still smooth, this is a good sounding SD-1 mod as well : The Cuervo Mod

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2006, 06:37:25 PM »
Honga ano...an overdrive pedal and a JCM800...you're not just hearing the overdrive pedals tones, but rather the sound of the pedal pushing the tube amp into overdrive. Ayun...baka that's what defines Zakk Wylde's sound.

Offline greggy

most over-rated gear
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2006, 06:42:14 PM »

SD-1 = overrated
PRS = overrated

MT-2 = absolute POS!!!!

PRS...well...+1. But I guess you'd buy it for different reasons than your average strat or LP. The high end ones are real pieces of art that you'd rather put in a glass case rather than play.

i bought a PRS not just because of PRS itself..I was looking into Gibsons, and ADeluxe Fenders..I just thought I need a guitar that has a single coil, humbucker, maple-cap, tremolo and a great deal of quality all at one guitar...for me its like LP standard and ADeluxe Fender met halfway, as PRS has 25" scale having all those features.
the Blues had a baby and they named it Rock n' Roll

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »
+1 on MIA fenders.

brand new, +1. second hand and in the 20 to 25k price range, good deal na.